Search Unity

Time estimates

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by SeanDev, Jan 26, 2014.

1. SeanDev

SeanDev

I am trying to get an idea of time estimates for making a game. I know that is a very high level question so here are some details.

-I am a proficient C# developer (I have been doing business development for several years.
    -I am a proficient database designer (same as above)
    -I am not a proficient modeler but I would plan to buy as much assets as I need
    -I don't know basics of game development such as polygons etc. so I would need to learn that aspect.
    -I am not too concerned with my return on investment this is more of a hobby plan.

I want to make a virtual world/crafting/housing type game. Although not really a game as much as simply an environment.

because its hobby only I have two time estimates I am curious about.
    1. how much time should I think about (given above) if I want something that is basically playable for me and a few friends.
    2. how much time to polish for the market.

thanks in advance.

2. Arowx

Arowx

No one else can really answer this question for you.

What I mean is it really does depend on the scope of your project and your technical skill set.

The best way to do this would be to take your project idea and break it down into components then start with the simplest component and build it and see how long it takes you, then use this as a baseline for your project and multiply by the number of components and how complex you think they will be.

Now take this timeline and multiply by PI and you will have a rough estimate for how long it will take you.

But I think your best advice would be to break the game down into it's core mechanics and quickly throw a prototype together in Unity then iterate from there, at least this way you will be having fun. As opposed to building a big game bit by bit that might not even be fun to play.

3. TheShane

TheShane

+ 1 for the suggestion to iterate.

Don't even try estimating until you've taken 2 to 4 weeks to build a prototype with the intention of throwing it away. See what you can get working quickly. See what you need to learn more about. Stumble into some of the things that you didn't even realize would be problems.

Then you will be able to make a rough estimate. Calculate how many weeks it will should you. Double that and convert it to months.

4. dogzerx2

dogzerx2

LOL!!

I have this formula that I should put into practice... to calculate how much anything is going to take: 1) be as realistic as you can and ballpark how you think it'll take. b) Multiply that by 3.

Never fails!

5. create3dgames

create3dgames

It depends on how big your world will be and how interactive it will be.

6. Arowx

Arowx

+1 size is a factor...

But there is procedural world generation, much more time up front developing and fine tuning but the potential for an unlimited world size (in theory).

7. create3dgames

create3dgames

Well you haven't really told us enough to give a good time estimate, but I think we can all agree that it sounds like it will take quite a long time. Why don't you start with something a little smaller or simpler. I mean, infinite worlds? Crafting? Housing? Unless your making everything out of cubes…it's going to take a long time.