Search Unity

Time.deltaTime Not Constant: VSync CameraFollow and Jitter

Discussion in 'General Graphics' started by Zullar, Sep 9, 2016.

1. rz_0lento

rz_0lento

It's a bit of a bummer for the VR as it would have made a big difference to user experience (but definitely appreciate all the effort on these fixes!). At the same time I can totally understand that we are getting really close to 2020 cycle feature cut off now so this wouldn't be totally unexpected.

While it doesn't make VR fix land any earlier, I'd love to hear what makes it more challenging when rendering VR for example on Windows DX11?

Last edited: Jun 18, 2020
    jashan likes this.
  2. Tautvydas-Zilys

Tautvydas-Zilys

Unity Technologies

For each VR device you need a separate implementation (OpenVR vs Oculus vs WMR vs GearVR etc) so it's just much more work. Furthermore, each platform work gets handled by different teams which have different priorities, and not everyone was able to drop what they were doing to fix this right away.

3. rz_0lento

rz_0lento

Oh.. in that case I do hope OpenVR will still get support for this despite going 3rd party with Valve providing the new XR Management system plugin.. :/

This feels something that should get natively implemented by the new XR API by the XR providers but I don't know if there's even any API there that lets you query things like this.

4. Tautvydas-Zilys

Tautvydas-Zilys

Unity Technologies

That is part of the challenge of implementing this on all platforms. We have to go in and figure out what APIs are available on the platform and try to adapt that returned data to frame synchronization...

5. valarnur

valarnur

Will 2020.1 be released with this fix?

6. Tautvydas-Zilys

Tautvydas-Zilys

Unity Technologies

No, the fix is part of Unity 2020.2.

7. condev1224

condev1224

I think you should make this issue high priority and fix it on all backends. Time is one of the most important aspects of any game. Every system relies on it. Do I need to say anymore? You have many AAA games running on your engine. Just my two cents.

pragmascript and Shizola like this.
  8. Tautvydas-Zilys

Tautvydas-Zilys

Unity Technologies

Unfortunately, a change like this isn't straightforward, requires a lot of testing and is risky since it can potentially break existing games. We want to get it right and we will ship it when it's ready.

By the way, postponing to 2021.1 doesn't mean we stopped working on it. That post just meant that I didn't think it would make it in before 2020.2 enters stabilization phase (that means no new features are allowed in).

Prodigga likes this.
  9. superjayman

superjayman

This Is A Major-Bug in All Of Unity! This should have been taken care of many years ago and you're just noticing it now?? So, Unity will You Be Fixing This Bug For Unity 2019, 2018 versions? This is a big show stopper for Unity and should be addressed for ALL VERSIONS!.

10. Tautvydas-Zilys

Tautvydas-Zilys

Unity Technologies

Clearly.

No. See my posts above for reasoning.

11. superjayman

superjayman

You should still be fixing this bug, and release a patch, so devs can apply it if they wish.This will not break existing games?

12. rz_0lento

rz_0lento

Big changes like this can always break x amount of other things and more crucially, it changes the default behavior of tons of systems as deltatime affects a lot of things beyond your own code. Do note that this fix isn't something you can toggle on and off, it's replacement for the old setup.

Ultroman, cirocontinisio and xVergilx like this.
  13. Zephus

Zephus

Do I understand this issue correctly, that every single Unity game ever released has jittering problems? Meaning that all those years of people complaining that Unity games are stuttering was because there's actually a bug preventing the games from running smoothly by default?

How is this issue not more known? I was in the 'it's the programmer's fault if the game doesn't run well' camp. But if this issue is affecting every Unity game ever, then those complaints were actually valid? I feel like this is such a major bug that it should be near the top of every 'disadvantages of using Unity' list ever. I second the notion that this needs to be ported to 2019 LTS.

14. rz_0lento

rz_0lento

I'm afraid it's not all that simple. First of, most game engines available to you do deltatime calculation like Unity used to do before 2020.2 so it's kinda hard to just fault Unity specifically for this. In fact, Unreals DT's fluctuate even more than Unity's did before this change. There's also been ways to filter the DT yourself on all these engines if you really needed to but granted it's an extra step that most devs would not make + it would only apply to your own code, not to internal systems like animation etc.

While I can see CLEAR difference with the DT fix and without (I can pretty much ditch my own DT filtering code now), there's like dozen reasons why Unity games can jitter and most visible jittering is not from the thing fixed here. I can list few common reasons:

Garbage collection spikes: This is easily number 1 reason. GC in Unity is ancient, and all around patched up solution which can result in huge and long lasting GC spikes. Unity did come up with incremental GC few years ago which should ease the pain a lot but the underlying GC is still the same (but at least they now split GC across frames so the spikes will not be noticeable). In past people often even stalled GC while gameplay was active and then triggered GC manually upon pause or level completion to avoid hitches when it was more noticeable. Some games also hitched a lot since devs didn't pool resources or simply didn't care of garbage generation at all. There's been a ton of common things that generated garbage in past and not every dev even realized all these. Many built-in Unity systems/packages also have in past generated or still do generate some garbage.

Failure to understand FixedUpdate and interpolation: This is probably 2nd biggest reason. Physics in Unity run async to rendering by default, also at somewhat conservative 50Hz update rate. Since physics run by fixed invervals in relation to deltatime, this can cause a lot of visible jitter if the devs don't enable rigidbody interpolation or extrapolation. Unity docs imply there's a perf overheard from interpolation so many just opt to not do it. Many devs also simply don't understand what fixed update is and place things like camera movement there which would obviously fail big time if the aim is to get any smooth movement.

Using built-in (old) input system: Especially mouse input data can be super noisy here. I've seen HUGE hitches by simply using built-in mouse input to drive character turning in Unity. The results you see probably depend a lot by your own hardware and mouse polling rate but for example I've seen pretty horrific noise on some common branded wireless mice. For comparison, gamepad input is butter smooth in comparison and you'll not see similar hitching on panning motion with it.

15. Prodigga

Prodigga

@Tautvydas-Zilys just wanted to say thank you for keeping us in the loop here and coordinating all this. Awesome stuff!

16. Edy

Edy

17. Tautvydas-Zilys

Tautvydas-Zilys

Unity Technologies

No, this has no effect on FrameTimingManager unfortunately. However, I know that it at least was implemented on D3D12 in Unity 2020.2.

Rodolfo-Rubens and Edy like this.
  18. pragmascript

pragmascript

I think VR is gonna profit from this the most :) looking forward to the fix

jashan and phobos2077 like this.
  19. 00jknight

00jknight

Hey Unity. I've fixed this problem on Android in a custom engine, and think I can explain it well, if at least to the community.

It looks to me like Unity is doing Buffer Stuffing.

This page has a good write up:
    https://developer.android.com/games/sdk/frame-pacing/

Buffer stuffing breaks down and causes this deviation from 16ms. You fill the buffer, the GPU driver blocks your render loop, and your dt exceeds 16ms. The buffer frees a frame, you render it in 2ms, and start the cycle again.

If ya'll actually hardcoded your DT to 1/60 in that scenario, it would look smooth. But then if you were late on a frame, you would never catch up to "real time", your game would just slowly fall behind from real time.

Basically the solution is this:

If the buffer is full, congratulations, render a frame at the target refresh rate and stuff it.

If the buffer isn't full, you were slow, but you can _still_ render at the target refresh rate, assuming that you will catch up before it empties.

If the buffer is empty, your stuttering and have fallen behind the real time! You must change dt from the target refresh rate to catch up!

The hard problem here is that _you dont know how long the next frame will take to render_. So your running along, at 16ms dt, hitting every vsync refresh, when suddenly a frame that we requested _with a dt of 16ms_ takes longer to render. This frame is 'behind' real time! But, did we stutter?

We didn't stutter if the buffer didn't empty! The buffer dropped down to 2 or 1 frame in it, and we can still push another frame with 1/60 delta time.

But if the buffer emptied, we need to "catch up". The only way to do that is to alter dt.

**Note, that my experience with Android's Choreographer showed that it is still not perfect. We could submit a frame "on time" (before the vsync), and the vsync would still render the previous frame (on a google pixel 1 we reproduced this).

We ended up tracking our own representation of how many frames are in the buffer, and preferring to error on the side of "we probably missed it".

This was kind of a hack, but it worked. Delta Time would be locked to the vsync interval, and the system would render at 60fps, and then would properly drop to 30fps if we couldnt keep up. Synchronization with real time was achieved.

Proper implementation would use these extensions to track when the GPU driver _actually displayed the frame_

Check these OpenGL extensions for querying how many frames are in the buffer, and to query the display timings for the previous frames.

https://www.khronos.org/registry/EGL/extensions/ANDROID/EGL_ANDROID_presentation_time.txt

https://www.khronos.org/registry/vulkan/specs/1.2-extensions/man/html/VK_GOOGLE_display_timing.html

CroTeam has a good writeup of this problem:

https://medium.com/@alen.ladavac/the-elusive-frame-timing-168f899aec92

And here's CTO of CroTeam talking about the problem:

Feel free to email me if you'd like more information regarding this technique.

senkal_, m0nsky, Wattosan and 4 others like this.
  20. Tautvydas-Zilys

Tautvydas-Zilys

Unity Technologies

@00jknight thanks for the write up! You captured the problem here very well, and the fixes that have been going out have been tackling these challenges.

Yup! That's exactly what we're trying to do. It gets complicated when you support so many platforms and that's why we've been bringing it up one platform at a time.

I actually took big inspiration from this blog post when researching the problem all those months ago before we started implementing it on various platforms!

I have a blog post in the works where I explain a lot of this stuff.

Last edited: Sep 17, 2020
    Ultroman, DragonSix, m0nsky and 12 others like this.
  21. jashan

jashan

Very awesome discussion, and very awesome work. Thanks to @Tautvydas-Zilys for communicating so transparently about this, and thanks to everyone working on this - including the community! This thread really kind of feels like the "good old days" of Unity and I appreciate that more than words could capture.

Just chiming in express my gratitude for the work on this, and also to add one more user to the list of "needs this for VR", and in fact, for pretty much all VR platforms (OpenVR, PSVR, Oculus native desktop, Oculus Quest, and potentially Pico Neo 2, which I believe have their own proprietary SDK).

I'm still on 2019.4 because I haven't made the move to the new XR plugin framework (which I have *very* mixed feelings about) but having this issue fixed for VR will probably be a strong enough reason for us to move to whichever version has this for enough platforms for VR (OpenVR and PSVR being the most important for us, with Quest a close second ;-) ).

Ultroman and rz_0lento like this.
  22. Tautvydas-Zilys

Tautvydas-Zilys

Unity Technologies

VR is moving along we haven't forgotten about it :). We just want to make sure we get it right as messing it up could have catastrophic consequences.

Ultroman, Fewes, m0nsky and 6 others like this.
  23. 00jknight

00jknight

It's pretty amazing how we gamedevs had this bug in our update loops for so so long but we didn't need to fix nor did we fully understand the problem until only recently.

I think we got away with it by some games _actually slowing down_. Modern games are more heavily networked so actually synchronizing to time is more important.

I'm just shocked that I didn't see this problem more often back in the raw OpenGL days.

To be honest I think the problem is simply excaberated on Android by the aggressive CPU Scheduler, which causes the aforementioned "we randomly missed a single frame" scenario far more often. Turns out the best way to react to that is to _do nothing_. Who would have thought?

We need Glenn Fiedler to write "Fix Your Timestep 2".

Tautvydas-Zilys likes this.
  24. Zullar

Zullar

Thanks for all the hard work on this issue and keeping us informed.

25. rz_0lento

rz_0lento

I hope you are able to address OpenVR/SteamVR too despite it not being developed in-house anymore. It's one of the primary targets on PC VR.

Zullar and hellstorm like this.
  26. thep3000

thep3000

Unity Technologies

All VR backends will benefit from this fix -- we're working on testing across everything before we can release. There is a pretty large matrix of runtimes crossed with graphics apis (also crossed with devices) and we need to make sure it's solid everywhere.

Ultroman, m0nsky, Zullar and 2 others like this.
  27. Tautvydas-Zilys

Tautvydas-Zilys

Unity Technologies

28. Lex4art

Lex4art

The only problem I've got - for some reason Time.deltaTime cannot go larger than 0.1f (on Windows 10 DirectX12 HDRP 10.1 with ray tracing). So, if fps drops below 10 it's not reliable anymore (those low fps are common case for low-end hardware in my benchmark project)...
    (Case 1282420)

Upd: oh, my bad - there is a Time.maximumDeltaTime parameter that limits it to 0.1 by default... didn't expect that there is a good reason to have this limit.

Last edited: Oct 4, 2020
    Zullar likes this.
  29. hellstorm

hellstorm

30. unisip

unisip

Great blog post! It clears up some misconceptions I had about unity’s pipelining. It would be awesome to have the profiler timeline convey more of that pipelining. Sometimes it’s not very clear to me why frames get dropped in my game (most likely a GPU bound issue but it would be great to see it clearly).

Anyway, thanks for all the hard work, and please don’t worry too much about all the negative replies starting with “it took ten years”, we all have this tendency to complain about things that could be improved (I have quite a lost myself ;-) and take for granted parts that are just great.

31. MartinTilo

MartinTilo

Unity Technologies

Hi and thank you for that feedback :)
    We are working towards better coverage of GPU profiling and have ideas to expand the Flow visualization (currently mostly used for the job system) to include the frame pipeline flow eventually. Can't promise on any ETA though.

unity_eIGZkJ7sPZvHeA and Zullar like this.
  32. AnsisMalinsUbisoft

AnsisMalinsUbisoft

Hello. Please introduce an EarlyUpdate callback and put it in the loop before PumpOSMessages. That way, I could put all input independent code into EarlyUpdate, thus moving input polling to later in the frame, thus reducing input latency. All AI driven characters and their animations don't depend on input and so they can be processed before updating it.

goncalo-vasconcelos likes this.
  33. rz_0lento

rz_0lento

Instead of introducing yet another callback, couldn't you just poll the input on LateUpdate instead? It's meant for things that process as late as possible. For example you can process input events manually on new Unity Input System so afaik you could just poll input on LateUpdate.

34. Tautvydas-Zilys

Tautvydas-Zilys

Unity Technologies

I assume you need Time.deltaTime to be updated from the new frame for that?

That wouldn't work, since Input is actually snapshot during "PumpOSMessages". Querying input in LateUpdate will just reflect input state at that point.

tessiof likes this.
  35. AnsisMalinsUbisoft

AnsisMalinsUbisoft

Assuming I understood your question, yes. I mean, from the blog post:
    Code (CSharp):
    1. while (!ShouldQuit())
    2. {
    3.     WaitForLastPresentationAndGetTimestamp();
    4.     // EarlyUpdate would go here. All but player character's animators can update here, etc.
    5.     PumpOSMessages();
    6.     UpdateInput();
    7.     Update();
    8.     WaitForRenderThread();
    9.     IssueRenderingCommands();
    10. }

36. SonicBloomEric

SonicBloomEric

Can't you already do this yourself using the PlayerLoop APIs? There is already an EarlyUpdate system for which you can specifically configure your own SubSystem and insert it wherever you like.

Unfortunately, Unity's documentation for specific systems leaves much to be desired. Most SubSystems' documentation (including UpdateInputManager) is very unhelpful:

As of Unity 2019.4, it looks like what you'd want to do is target adding your own SubSystem to the Initialization System. It appears that time updates (PlayerUpdateTime) and input synchronization (SynchronizeInputs) occur within that "phase". Clearly, this may look very different in Unity 2020.2.

For what it's worth, I cannot recommend enough the Player Loop Visualizer. It will allow you to investigate your PlayerLoop and help you understand the order of operations of Unity's internals. It will also help you quickly identify a target for inserting your own custom logic. And to be clear, you can insert your own custom logic with C#.

Ultroman likes this.
  37. Tautvydas-Zilys

Tautvydas-Zilys

Unity Technologies

I don't think you can actually do this at this point in time. Everything in PlayerLoop will happen after the OS events have been pumped. However, that is a reasonable ask.

38. SonicBloomEric

SonicBloomEric

Hmm... if that's the case, then according to your blog entry's explanation of frame timing:

Code (CSharp):
    1. ——————— // Input event arrives from the OS!
    2. WaitForLastPresentationAndGetTimestamp(); // Wait for frame -2 to appear on the screen
    3. PumpOSMessages(); // Pump input OS messages for frame 0
    4. UpdateInput(); // Process input for frame 0
    5. Update(); // Update game state for frame 0 with the input event that we are measuring
    6. WaitForRenderThread(); // Wait until all commands from frame -1 are submitted to the GPU
    7. IssueRenderingCommands(); // Send rendering commands for frame 0 to the rendering thread
    8. WaitForLastPresentationAndGetTimestamp(); // Wait for frame 0 to appear on the screen. This is where the changes from our input event appear.

would put the "WaitForLastPresentationAndGetTimestamp()" also outside of the PlayerLoop system, no? If that's the case, then what is the PlayerUpdateTime subsystem doing? (And what does the AsyncUploadTimeSlicedUpdate subsystem do for that matter?)

Glad to hear this. It is surprising that it's not already within the overall PlayerLoop system's purview.

On a related note, is there documentation anywhere that describes what portions of the engine's loop are not included within the PlayerLoop system?

39. Tautvydas-Zilys

Tautvydas-Zilys

Unity Technologies

Crap, looks like an oversight on my part. After this fix, it seems to not be doing anything. I should fix that :(. And that would solve @AnsisMalinsUbisoft problem too. I created a bug to track this (https://issuetracker.unity3d.com/product/unity/issues/guid/1284015/).

It schedules async upload to GPU work and checks whether any previously scheduled operations have completed.

I don't think we have any documentation on that, unfortunately. When looking at the profiler, you can tell it by finding "PostLateUpdate.ProfilerEndFrame" and the first thing from "Initialization.*" category (in Unity 2020.2 that's "Initialization.UpdateCameraMotionVectors").

The engine is structured in a way that the main loop is in platform specific code, and that platform specific code calls "PlayerLoop" function. This function is the entire PlayerLoop system you've been referring to, and is the highest level cross platform abstraction we have. Other than calling PlayerLoop() in the loop, different platforms also do different things. For instance, Windows standalone player pumps and processes Windows OS messages (using PeekMessage/GetMessage WINAPI functions), checks whether you called Application.Quit() during the last frame and if so exits, updates gamepad state in InputManager, invokes OnApplicationPause() if needed, changes cursor state according to specified lockState and with 2020.2 it also does "WaitForLastPresentationAndGetTimestamp".

Zullar, Prodigga and SonicBloomEric like this.
  40. SonicBloomEric

SonicBloomEric

Can you explain what the expected fix would look like? I'm having trouble understanding how a fix for the PlayerUpdateTime subsystem would address @AnsisMalinsUbisoft's issue.

That is a good hint! Thanks!

So there are still operations that are "sibling" to the PlayerLoop function. Got it.

This is a little confusing to me. It sounds like you're describing PumpOSMessages() here. However, the list of things the Windows Player seems to do as part of that operation is explained to include "updates gamepad state in InputManager". How is that different from the UpdateInputManager and SynchronizeInputs subsystems? (Also, what exactly do those systems do?)

Perhaps an appropriate question here is how does the PlayerLoop function "mix" with the frame timing stack you listed in the blog entry?

I would guess something like this:
    Code (CSharp):
    1. ——————— // Input event arrives from the OS!
    2. WaitForLastPresentationAndGetTimestamp(); // Wait for frame -2 to appear on the screen
    3. PumpOSMessages(); // Pump input OS messages for frame 0
    4. {
    5.     // PlayerLoop!
    6.     UpdateInput(); // Process input for frame 0
    7.     Update(); // Update game state for frame 0 with the input event that we are measuring
    8.     WaitForRenderThread(); // Wait until all commands from frame -1 are submitted to the GPU
    9. }
    10. IssueRenderingCommands(); // Send rendering commands for frame 0 to the rendering thread
    11. WaitForLastPresentationAndGetTimestamp(); // Wait for frame 0 to appear on the screen. This is where the changes from our input event appear.
    but your explanation has me wondering if things like "UpdateInput()" are outside the purview of the PlayerLoop (even though there are input-related subsystems within it...).

---------------
    Side Note: Someone should double your salary for a week and let you write some documentation about the core Player Loop. There's more helpful information in that one paragraph than, like, the entire PlayerLoop section of the script documentation... :p

Ultroman likes this.
  41. Tautvydas-Zilys

Tautvydas-Zilys

Unity Technologies

Honestly, I'm just wrapping my head around the scriptable player loop but the way I imagine it, I'd change PlayerUpdateTime player loop component to be called when we actually update time, rather than at the beginning on the player loop (and before pumping OS events).

The way you should look at it is that stuff within player loop (like UpdateInputmanager, SynchronizeInputs, etc) work on platform agnostic data (pretty much the same code across different platforms), whereas things outside of player loop deal with platform specific data. In this case, "updates gamepad state in InputManager" is Windows code calling into XInput API to retrieve gamepad state because that API is polling based and doesn't raise events when the controller state changes. UpdateInputManager, on the other hand, takes the data that platform specific code queried and transforms it to be directly consumable by the Input class. It does stuff like combine all controller inputs into gamepad 0, calculates axis weights according to what is specified in the input manager, etc. For the new input system, it dispatches those events to managed code.

It looks something like this:

Code (csharp):
    1. bool quit = false;
    2. while (!quit)
    3. {
    4.     WaitForLastPresentationAndGetTimestamp();
    6.     {
    7.         // PumpOSMessages
    8.         while (GetMessageFromOS(out var message))
    9.         {
    10.             ProcessMessage(message);
    11.         }
    12.     }
    14.     if (ApplicationQuitCalled())
    15.         break;
    17.     if (IsPlayedPaused())
    18.         continue;
    20.     QueryInputStateFromOS(); // For stuff that's polling based and doesn't arrive through ProcessMessage like XInput
    22.     {
    23.         // PlayerLoop!
    24.         PlayerLoop_Initialization();
    25.         PlayerLoop_EarlyUpdate();
    27.         while (Time.fixedTime < Time.time)
    28.         {
    29.             PlayerLoop_FixedUpdate();
    30.             Time.fixedTime += Time.fixedDeltaTime;
    31.         }
    33.         PlayerLoop_PreUpdate();
    34.         PlayerLoop_Update();
    35.         PlayerLoop_PreLateUpdate();
    36.         PlayerLoop_LateUpdate();
    37.         PlayerLoop_PostLateUpdate(); // IssueRenderingCommands is one of the steps here (PostLateUpdate.FinishFrame rendering: https://docs.unity3d.com/ScriptReference/PlayerLoop.PostLateUpdate.FinishFrameRendering.html)
    38.     }
    39. }

Last edited: Oct 9, 2020
  42. SonicBloomEric

SonicBloomEric

Hmm... based on what I've seen of the System/SubSystem relationship of the PlayerLoop, it sounds like you may need to take the PlayerUpdateTime subsystem out of its current parent system (PlayerLoop_Initialization()) and insert it into a new system that can be handled earlier in the core loop, alongside WaitForLastPresentationAndGetTimestamp(), yeah?

This is extremely helpful. I seriously wish the PlayerLoop documentation covered this stuff. It would make working with it all the better.

Regardless, the explanation clears up the ambiguities about what is going on internally and the role that each of those subsystems play. That each platform features platform-specific "input state wrangling" code makes sense. That this is the abstraction layer that unifies everything for Unity managed code consumption makes sense. Thanks for clearing it up!

Ultroman likes this.
  43. Tautvydas-Zilys

Tautvydas-Zilys

Unity Technologies

Yes.

Ultroman and SonicBloomEric like this.
  44. Zullar

Zullar

Thanks for posting the details of your fix. Had no idea Time.deltaTime was so complicated when I started the thread. It explains some of the things I noticed like...

1: Moving the mouse caused a larger Time.deltaTime variance
    2: Background apps caused larger Time.deltaTime variance (even if they did not generate high enough load and cause dropped frames).
    3: The same app has drastically different Time.deltaTime variation on different hardware.

Ultroman and hellstorm like this.
  45. rz_0lento

rz_0lento

Ultroman likes this.
  46. Tautvydas-Zilys

Tautvydas-Zilys

Unity Technologies

Yes I created the bug report for tracking purposes. I've started looking at it last week. Hoping to finish it soon.

P. S. on Windows 10 version 2004 it doesn't reproduce... I'm still trying to figure out exactly what's going on there.

Ultroman likes this.
  47. rz_0lento

rz_0lento

Ah nice, I'll give it a go again too as I'm now on latest platform update, just to verify if it's changed on my end.

48. rz_0lento

rz_0lento

2004 is acting differently but it is bit weird too. So far what I've seen is:

- If I keep 144Hz monitor as default, I get dt ~ 0.00694 (144Hz) on all monitors when running windowed despite the app's window is sitting on is 60Hz monitor. If I toggle to fullscreen, it corrects to that monitors refresh rate.
    - With 144Hz monitor as default still, if I drag the built Unity app window by holding mouse left down on the app's top bar (or just hold the mouse left down there), it gets that mixed DT thing again where it can't decide which monitors DT to use. This happens on all monitors, not just when hovering over the 60Hz ones.

- If I set 60Hz monitor as default and keep 144Hz as secondary, it will always get 0.01666 deltatime on all monitors no matter what I do as long as the app is running in windowed mode.

So it does feel like windows compositor runs at primary monitor's refresh rate but it gets confused if you drag the window on desktop with mixed monitor refresh rates IF some of the monitors are running under the primary monitors refresh rate. This all really seems like a windows issue.

Last edited: Oct 18, 2020
    Ultroman and Zullar like this.
  49. Tautvydas-Zilys

Tautvydas-Zilys

Unity Technologies

Ultroman and Zullar like this.
  50. Digika

Digika

How would EarlyUpdate would help here with input latency though? May be I'm missing something. As Tautvydas-Zilys, "Input is actually snapshot during "PumpOSMessages"". it is still gonna take this snapshot every frame.

Looks like the link leads nowhere