Search Unity

1. Looking for a job or to hire someone for a project? Check out the re-opened job forums.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity 2020 LTS & Unity 2021.1 have been released.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Good news ✨ We have more Unite Now videos available for you to watch on-demand! Come check them out and ask our experts any questions!
    Dismiss Notice

Tiles not displaying in Scene View

Discussion in '2D' started by APsychicToaster, Jul 19, 2019.

1. APsychicToaster

APsychicToaster

I've asked in Discord about 20 times and, much to my disappointment, received no answer.

I have a tilemap, grid, and tile palette set up. The tiles appear just fine in the tile palette, but when I go to click in the tilemap to paint with them, they don't display. When I go to undo, an "undo paint" option is there, so it's clearly painting them. When I click on the game window, the tiles display there. This poses a bit of an issue for me, because I cannot see what I'm painting in the tilemap. I've tried multiple fresh installs with different versions, I have created about 20 new projects, nothing works. Unity is running as administrator, and I haven't touched a single setting for Unity.

What's going on here?

ThePigeonMan likes this.
  2. ChuanXin

ChuanXin

Unity Technologies

If it is possible, could you file a bug report with your project using the Unity Bug Reporter and post the case number here? This would include all the settings that may have caused the issue.

Without knowing much, could it be possible that the camera in your SceneView is not aligned to the Tilemap somehow (although I would find that unlikely with a default 2D setup)? When a Sprite (SpriteRenderer) is placed on the scene, does it get displayed?

3. APsychicToaster

APsychicToaster

It displays an empty square regardless of what the sprite actually is supposed to be. I haven't changed any settings or moved anything around that I don't understand : P so it is a purely default setup.

Dragged a sprite into the scene, this is all that it shows upload_2019-7-18_22-39-0.png

Last edited: Jul 19, 2019
  4. Venkify

Venkify

Unity Technologies

@Zethrendel Could you please submit a simple project as this is really strange ? We will take a look asap.

5. APsychicToaster

APsychicToaster

Sent as Case 1170616. I made a new project and imported a single floor tile asset. The proper PPU needs to be 64 but I didn't set it from 100 so the tile won't align on the grid, but it should still draw regardless in the scene. It was done using an older Unity version but I've tried...pretty much all of them to the same result.

6. ThePigeonMan

ThePigeonMan

I have this exact problem. Anyone found a solution?

7. ChuanXin

ChuanXin

Unity Technologies

Could you post a screenshot of what you see and of your TilemapRenderer GameObject inspector?

One of reasons why they are not showing was that the TilemapRenderer GameObject was set to a particular Layer which was treated as Invisible. Other reasons would be that the SceneView camera has been zoomed in too close that the TilemapRenderer has been culled from being rendered.

8. rschop17

rschop17

I just ran into the same problem (using 2020.2.1f1). Clearing the GI Cache for the project and restarting Unity seems to have fixed it, but only for new tiles painted in the scene. Any tiles that were previously painted in the scene that only showed up in the Game tab view still do not render in the scene view.

Additional details: this problem surfaced after working in my project for a few days. At some point any new tilemaps added to the scene had this issue but existing tilemaps continued to work totally fine. I toggled between the tilemaps to see if anything was different in the inspector and was able to confirm that everything for the tilemap properties (at least via the UI) were exactly the same.

unityunity