Search Unity

1. Welcome to the Unity Forums! Please take the time to read our Code of Conduct to familiarize yourself with the forum rules and how to post constructively.
  2. We are updating our Terms of Service for all Unity subscription plans, effective October 13, 2022, to create a more streamlined, user-friendly set of terms. Please review them here: unity.com/legal/terms-of-service.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Have a look at our Games Focus blog post series which will show what Unity is doing for all game developers – now, next year, and in the future.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Join us on Thursday, September 29, for a day with Unity's SRP teams here on the forum or on Reddit, and discuss topics around URP, HDRP, and the Scriptable Render Pipeline in general.
    Dismiss Notice

Tilemaps possible within the UI system?

Discussion in 'UGUI & TextMesh Pro' started by Doghelmer, May 17, 2021.

1. Doghelmer

Doghelmer

I was hoping to place a tilemap into a UI canvas for the purpose of drawing a tiled world map. It seems that this is not possible using Unity's Tilemap system (unless I'm missing something?). Is there a best practice method for accomplishing something like this within the UI system? Simply placing a bunch of UI Images next to each other in a grid wouldn't really be a feasible solution due to the number of images that would be required.

2. Hosnkobf

Hosnkobf

The UGUI way of achieving this is placing a lot of sprites next to each other (either with grid layout group, by hand, with help of a distibution tool or by a custom script).
    I wonder why you want to do this in the ui...
    If you just want to display some non-UI stuff inside a UI control you can render it into a render texture and display it wih the
    Raw Image
    component.

unityunity