Search Unity

TileMap - SpriteMask behaviour (Saving batches)

Discussion in '2D' started by pikminscience, Jun 14, 2020.

1. pikminscience

pikminscience

I have a set of tiles within a TileMap that require SpriteMasks to cover a custom range.

Making prefabs and placing these tiles within the TileMap doesn't allow Chunk mode rendering (batch count skyrockets!).

Creating a custom shader and placing it on the TileMap (not using prefabs in this scenario - directly painted tiles) works with everything but the custom range (i.e. 'Default' layer range 5-6 of sprite order for example). I've found nothing that replicates the SpriteMask range for this in a custom shader.

The only other thing I can think of is grabbing the tiles from the tilemap if painted on directly. Shoving these grabbed tiles in to an image, converting it to a sprite and assigning it to a SpriteMask component.

I'm probably overthinking it but having a hard time finding anything to help me with it and feel like I might be creating a more demanding task rather than living with the huge batch count.

In summary; I want to run a tilemap with chunk mode rendering with a SpriteMask set to a custom layer and range.

2. ChuanXin

ChuanXin

Unity Technologies

Could you share a screenshot of what you are expecting? That would help in our understanding of this!

I presume that you would want a SpriteMask that masks certain Tiles within a single Tilemap?

3. pikminscience

pikminscience

A SpriteMask that would attach to a tilemap, take its final full tile render and place it in a SpriteMask (adhering to custom range found on the SpriteMask component)

I'm trying to show off how the sprite masks work on each tile (tiles being gameobjects in this instance). However they run the batch count high.

My solution currently (doesn't work with order in layers - which is what I'm after):

So instead of each Sprite/Tile having a SpriteMask I provide a material that functions as a mask instead.

Everything works as intended (I could even ditch the sprite renderer in this scenario and draw via the tiles in the tilemap and set the TilemapRenderer material to the one above).

The issue is that if any sprite renderer that has a mask interaction of 'Visible Inside Mask' or 'Visible Outside Mask' goes over this, regardless of its layer; it will interact.

The SpriteMask component is a work around to this (as shown in the GIF) - I can add one to every SpriteRenderer (so each tile effectively). This however throws the batch count super high.

I guess in some way the bigger issue is that I can see no way to get a custom stencil shader to play along with other SpriteMask components and sprite renderers (I use them elsewhere; all adhering to different layers dynamically - the workflow ends up being good!).

Last edited: Jun 17, 2020
  4. pikminscience

pikminscience

Cleaned up my post - realised it was very confusing.

5. ChuanXin

ChuanXin

Unity Technologies

If I understand correctly, you would like the rendered Tilemap to act as a mask for a SpriteMask to be used on other Renderers?

6. pikminscience

pikminscience

Yeah - sorry if the replies are convoluted.

7. ChuanXin

ChuanXin

Unity Technologies

Thanks for confirming! We do not support this right now unfortunately. We'll add this to our feature backlog for consideration.

8. Deleted User

Deleted User

Have you guys considered this yet or still plan to consider this? A tilemap mask component would be very useful for me, and I would imagine for many others as well.

9. h765643729

h765643729

It is important when implementing Windows and doors on walls with Isometric Tile.