Search Unity

1. Unity Asset Manager is now available in public beta. Try it out now and join the conversation here in the forums.
    Dismiss Notice

Tilemap sorting of tiles

Discussion in '2017.2 Beta' started by OtakuD, Oct 11, 2017.

1. OtakuD

OtakuD

I've been trying to convert a lot of my top down games maps to the new tilemap system but have since discovered something which breaks the system for me, tiles seem to be all sorted based on the origin of the tilemap object rather than the individual tiles position. The problems this creates are quite large as a wall which starts at the bottom of the stage will function as expected at the origin point but as it moves up the level (y axis) they retain the same sorting information and the player disappears behind them rather than each tile being sorted individually by it's y axis.

Is there going to be something I can use to fix this like a sorting group? About the only fix I can think of is to have one tilemap per every y level on the map which will be a nightmare to work with on my larger (100x100 tile) maps.

Looks like I may have to revert back to my old system if this is the case, any info?

2. ChuanXin

ChuanXin

Unity Technologies

Unfortunately, for this release, all tiles are batched and drawn together and hence are sorted as a whole together with all the other renderers in the scene. You will need to split each level into individual layers and renderers to have them sorted separately.

If you do have time, you could check out the 2D preview version of Unity. The TilemapRenderer has an additional mode option called "Individual" which draws and sorts each tile individually with other renderers. Let us know if that can help with this issue!

3. OtakuD

OtakuD

This sounds like it would be what I need, is it "2D Experimental Preview Release 4" that was posted on may 8th 2017?