Search Unity

1. Unity Asset Manager is now available in public beta. Try it out now and join the conversation here in the forums.
    Dismiss Notice

[TileMap] per tile materials / granularity

Discussion in '2D Experimental Preview' started by enhawk, Feb 9, 2017.

1. enhawk

enhawk

Just jumping back in here, seems like a lot of progress!

One thing, per tile material, doesn't look possible in the Tilemap editor. I can specify 1 material for the entire Tilemap, but the granularity doesn't seem to extend beyond that.

This would be greatly recieved.

In platformers, often we need to program different situations by figuring out what type of tile the player is interacting with (land on wood = land on wood sound, land on spikes = remove health etc) so per tile properties like this are very important.

I understand that Batching is very fast with this new Tilemap system, but days of worrying about that are passed... I have hundreds of batches onscreen and still get 60fps+ on my current tile set up (on an 2011 iMac no less)

So maybe we could have the option? Optimising for iPhone4 & 3DS seems kind but we have much more powerful consoles now. PC has never been an issue.

TLDR can we have per tile granularity? (prefabs, scripts, own colliders, own materials etc.) at the cost of ditching unwanted single Batching?

2. JeromeJ

JeromeJ

Bump.

3. DoctorShinobi

DoctorShinobi

Bump in the end of 2019

4. basboi

basboi

sad bump

5. lmgginspace

lmgginspace

useless bump
    Now seriously, is disappointing unity doesn't have this basic functionality, and they turn a deaf ear on it.

6. Frog556fb2

Frog556fb2

+1 bump

7. mitaywalle

mitaywalle

Hello everyone, as workaround you can use SomeTile.InstancedPrefab (GameObject) and add to it Renderer with different materials. I'm investigating also can we render tiles to different submeshes, to use multiplie materials at same TilemapRenderer