Search Unity

1. Unity Asset Manager is now available in public beta. Try it out now and join the conversation here in the forums.
    Dismiss Notice

[TileMap] How to get the Instantiated Object of all tiles ?

Discussion in '2D Experimental Preview' started by Kiupe, Feb 19, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Kiupe

Kiupe

Hi,

Just beginning with Tilemap and I'm struggling how to get the Instantiated object of all tiles. Using TileMap.GetBlocks returns TileBase which does not contains a method to get the Instantiated Object. The GetInstantiatedObject method of TileMap expects a tile coordinate but I don't know how to get all tiles coordinate in order to be able to call that method for all tiles.

Basically I need to access to all Instantiated Objects and store them in a 2d array that will represent the actual grid. Instantiated objects have a script that initializes values at runtime. So Instantiated object really reflect the grid state.

Thanks

2. ChuanXin

ChuanXin

Unity Technologies

Could you elaborate more on this? This would help a lot!

Each Tilemap has an origin and a size. If the Tilemap is of a limited size (Tilemap.CompressBounds() can help), you can do the following:

Code (CSharp):
    1. var bounds = new BoundsInt(tilemap.origin, tilemap.size);
    2. foreach (var position in bounds.allPositionsWithin)
    3. {
    4.     var go = tilemap.GetInstantiatedObject(position);
    5.     // Do action with go here
    6. }

granit likes this.
  3. Kiupe

Kiupe

Ok, it all make sense, thanks !

4. sanchitgulati

sanchitgulati

@ChuanXin Using Unity 2019.3.0f5 and code you suggested returns null for the go variable.
    *Not doing this on Start() call so there is no way values are not initialized yet.

5. yukunlinykl

yukunlinykl

But how can I access the object in TileBase.GetTileData?
    The argument of TileBase.GetTileData is ITilemap, which the ITilemap interface don't have the GetInstantiatedObject function.

6. MelvMay

MelvMay

Unity Technologies

Please use the 2D forum and create your own threads. Please do not hijack/necro threads. This forum is for experimental features too.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.