Search Unity

1. Unity Asset Manager is now available in public beta. Try it out now and join the conversation here in the forums.
    Dismiss Notice

Tilemap grid only showing up when viewed up-close

Discussion in '2D Experimental Preview' started by AssembledVS, Aug 24, 2016.

1. AssembledVS

AssembledVS

I have a tilemap with a 32 x 32 cell size. At this size (instead of, for example, something like 2 x 2, etc.), the tilemap grid is barely visible at a rather close distance and completely invisible at a more normal distance.

Not sure if this should make any difference, but my sprites/tiles are set to 1 pixel to unit instead of the default 100.

Is there some kind of setting that I neglected to change, etc.? Can the visibility of the grid be changed?

Here is a GIF to show what happens:

http://imgur.com/a/Hf0jt

2. Johaness_Reuben

Johaness_Reuben

Current grid visibility did not take into account how much the view needs to be zoomed out when tiles are set to 1 pixel unit. Its something we have to look into.

Cheers

AssembledVS likes this.
  3. AssembledVS

AssembledVS

Good to know that this is being looked into, thanks!

Is it not standard practice to use 1 pixel to unit for pixel art? Is there something that I should be aware of when using 1 px = 1 u instead of the standard 100 px = 1 u?

4. Johaness_Reuben

Johaness_Reuben

AssembledVS likes this.
  5. AssembledVS

AssembledVS

Thanks for those links, though I read them before. I seem to be getting many opposing views regarding pixel to units for pixel art (leaving it alone vs changing it to 1).

It's pretty obvious that 1 pixel = 1 unit makes things more intuitive to work with in pixel art - for example, a 32 px object spans coordinates 0 - 32 instead of some a decimal 1/100th of that. Collider sizes and everything else related to coordinate space also become more intuitive.

Please tell me - why don't you like that workflow? Why do you not recommend it? How about this method for pixel art specifically?

6. Johaness_Reuben

Johaness_Reuben

It's really just my personal preference, and also probably coming more from my gameart background. When creating the art I always use a base reference. To get this, I look at the intended screen resolution/s, size of the most important art feature eg.character on the screen. Then I set the base units from what I use for the character, and probably because of old habits, I set my sizes to power of two. So my base units are usually, 32,64 etc. Then all my art for the project is made to that PPU. Lowest I've ever gone I think is 8 pixels.

There's no real technical reason, it's the workflow I prefer when using all the tools in the pipeline from Unity to Photoshop and others are comfortable (I am) with these sizes.

I should clarify my statement - what I meant by "have never recommended the method" - I've never had the situation when working on a project that we thought we needed to use 1px = 1u. Maybe in the future I might. Which brings me to what I think about it. Every game project has different requirements that will steer us towards a particular method. The requirements could be something from target platform, game design element or programming needs. Best is to do a lot of testing in pre-production and then pick what you're comfortable with for your particular project. :)

AssembledVS likes this.
  7. AssembledVS

AssembledVS

Other's people working methods are good to know so thank you for sharing them.

Yes, I can see when 1 tile/pre-defined game "unit" would be helpful to equal one Unity unit. However, it's just more intuitive to me to have 1 px = 1 unit, even if my game is based on tiles, etc. I guess I'm just trying to figure out whether my preferred method, which seems to be preferred by some people as well, will not break something later on or hurt performance. I've made a thread asking about it here. Perhaps someone from Unity knows the answer to this question?