Search Unity

TileEd

Discussion in 'Assets and Asset Store' started by Leslie-Young, Nov 24, 2015.

1. Leslie-Young

Leslie-Young

> timer pic

When this happens you can right click on the prefab or prefab folder and reimport.

> Shift/ Control

It always works on the grid position of the mouse. So if you are trying to use it while hovering the mouse over a Prop you still need to be in that prop's tile and not whatever tile it might be hanging over because of size or way you placed it. This method of marking will delete/ mark all props of the grid position.

You can do a normal click, no modifier keys, to select a a prop.Pressing the Delete key while a prop is selected will delete it.

Also keep in mind that only props/ tiles in the active Tile Layer/Group can be marked/ deleted. So if you are working with more than one layer you need to make sure you are in the correct layer.

All this is explained in the docs, http://www.plyoung.com/tile-ed/tile-ed-map.html

2. Brity

Brity

"Pressing the Delete key while a prop is selected will delete it"
    It deletes the TileEd if I do that.

In my current project I'm using TileEd just for plotting objects over the terrain. I'm not using the tiles.
    So I'm not even bothering with adjusting the grid etc.

Do you think it's better to be able to select a prop directly instead of a grid tile?
    what if you have two objects sharing the same tile?

Just few a suggestions.

Modify Tool in the menu: (hand Icon)

Open Settings / Toggle TileEd / Tiles / Props / "Modifiy Tool"

whilst this hand object is in contact with other object, you could make so that you don't even need to click:

Whilst colliding (collided other object Yellow)

1: Hold down Alt + middle rotates collided object. (handy for quick edits to already plotted props.. instead of selecting and the rotating.

2: Press Delete to Delete...

3: Press Left mouse button to select can now make edits to prefab.

4: Press Right mouse button to switch Prop to brother prop..
    If prop has another variation object it will switch current object to next object. would be very use if later decided that I need more variations to trees for example. of maybe if I added a winter variation...

I hope you don't mind me making these suggestions and I don't have any expectations. I understand you're very busy.

I know most people will buy this tool for top down type of games that rely on the grid system.
    But I think as a general object painter or plotter it's currently the best on the asset store in it's current state. However if it had these added features it would make this tool even more useful.

The fact that I can see the object at the mouse position and be able to rotate it is just fantastic, and once you've used this approach you simply cant go back.. I've used many object painter or plotter tools on the asset store and none have this functionality. So thank you for this feature. ;)

Thank you for your time Leslie.

3. Leslie-Young

Leslie-Young

> It deletes the TileEd if I do that.

That should not happen since TileEd Mode will catch the Delete action. Was a prop actually marked (Yellow)?

> In my current project I'm using TileEd just for plotting objects over the terrain. I'm not using the tiles. So I'm not even bothering with adjusting the grid etc.

The whole system was created to work with a grid based world. I guess you can use it to place props in the maner you do but keep in mind that, that is not what the tool was designed for.

> what if you have two objects sharing the same tile?

Like I said in previous message; Ct/Shiftr+Click on grid pos will mark/delete all props that are associated with that grid position.

> Press Left mouse button to select can now make edits to prefab

There are buttons in the MapEdMap Inspector to activate the various gizmos (transform, rotate, scale) when the props tool is active and you have a prop selected.

I can not support and allow the normal gizmos tools (in unity toolbar) to be active since those would apply to the map object, which is the selected game object.

> 4: Press Right mouse button to switch Prop to brother prop..

Could be useful. Will look into this idea.

4. Brity

Brity

ok well I think the main issue is not being able to select the probs directly so no it doesn't go yellow so all the other functions, rotate, scale, ect cant be used. only being able to select the grid is not very useful in this situation.

Would it be such a big thing for you to add the ability to add object by clicking object instead of the tile?
    isn't that just a raycast? or even a collider object to check collisions? is it you cant do it or you just wont do it for whatever reason?

5. Leslie-Young

Leslie-Young

I do not quite understand what you are referring to.

You can click on a Prop object and it will be selected (turn yellow). You do not have to use Ctrl+Click to mark it and in fact, that would mark all Props associated with the tile space - which you might not want. Maybe there is a bug, which I am not able to reproduce on my side, or you are using the tool wrong because you must be able to select props wit ha click, even those without colliders.

Maybe have a look at some of my videos to see how how I use the tool. https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLuaBtUXEKcdIIqdtwkVbnnHyoP8ZXOhzx

6. Brity

Brity

to reply to your email. Yes I have several of those tools and none of them have the feature to be able to view the selected object at the mouse location.

It might not seem like a big deal but I consider this feature to be very useful and when you have a couple of hundred objects to place this can save a lot of time. Also being able to rotate by simply holding alt and middle is perfect..

I give you an example..
    I have my scene setup in such a way that I have my god rays and all that good stuff coming in from a direction. the mood is just right.. it's all very mystical ... so now I need to place a few buildings.. now with any other tool I would have to plot first and then select and then rotate, but then I realise maybe move this house a bit.. it's still not looking right... bla bla bla time is a wasting.. I have another few hundred to do zzzzzzzzz

OR

I could use your awesome tool and move and rotate the object the same time, seeing in realtime hows the mystical light hits different parts of the building and within no time it's in the perfect spot!!! :) all is good!! and this happens in a few seconds. the other way... hmm tedious clicking .. more clicking time is ticking.;. I'm getting old.. now I need to buy a new computer.. times have changed... I need to a water proof computer because the sea level has risen above my house so I'm under water... must finish this level.. :p

also thank you for offering a refund but I think your tool is still better than any other object painter I've used. Also I will use the other features (Map Tiles) later in another project.. so no refund wanted :)

7. Brity

Brity

I'm only able to select an object if I toggle TileEd on/off. and selecting the move tool. but then I have to reselect the TileEd object and then click props to start painting again. it's not very quick.

The buildings I'm trying to select are quite big.. they take up more than five tiles so maybe that's the problem?

8. Brity

Brity

Hello Leslie,

I'm just letting you know that I'm now able to select the object. when I paint an object if I want to select it, I have to press esc first then I can select it. It then turns yellow as you said.

Thanks for you time.

9. Brity

Brity

Hello Leslie,

I've been thinking a bit about the modify tool idea.
    To simplify it so that you don't need to recompile everything and make changes to the interface etc.. You could make it a modifier prop instead of a tool.

So you would just need to add the Modify prefab to the props as you usually would and that modify prop would have the script that would have the modify functions.

So now I select the modify prop. (eg Red sphere is shown or whatever)
    Now depending on the shortcut key held down the modify child object could change to indicate which modify action.
    for example..

ROTATE = Shift+Alt = Modify brush child object is active (Rotate Mesh object). (middle mouse rotates colliding object)
    SCALE = Shift+Ctr = Modify brush child object is active (Scale Mesh object).. (middle mouse scales colliding object)
    Variation = Alt+Q = .............

Let me know your opinion please.. I have never made an editor tool before so I have no idea if it can be done this way.. I know that collisions require to be in play mode etc so please excuse me ignorance :)

Oh and do you think you could make it so I could rearrange the props order? drag prop 18 into top row...

Thanks for your time.

10. Leslie-Young

Leslie-Young

> I'm just letting you know that I'm now able to select the object. when I paint an object if I want to select it, I have to press esc

Because you are in placement mode. Pressing Esc exit's that and then you are able to select object by clicking on them.

> I'm only able to select an object if I toggle TileEd on/off. and selecting the move tool....

With TileEd Mode off the TileEd tool is disabled and its tools will not function. With it on you can still select a Prop and use gizmos similar to move/rotate/scale but these need to be selected from the Props Tools Inspector since the Unity gizmos for this (in the toolbar) will not be selectable while TileEd Mode is on. Note that the tools are only available when you have a prop selected.

gizmos.png

It sounds to me like you are not happy with how the tool works and want me to change it. I do not plan on changing how it works since it function the way I want it to and works fine for what it was created for. You are welcome to a refund if you do not find this tool useful in its current form.

11. Brity

Brity

WOW that's what you took from my last post.. Really!! I made a suggestion and you get an attitude.. puff ...
    Some of the others in the office watched your video and after "listening" to you they said you would have this attitude.

However I thought that maybe you was able to listen to suggestions and discuss them in a mature way. And because someone is actually taking interest in your asset that you would be happy to discuss it.

One of our Art guys is making compatible TileEd tiles to release on the store. for very cheap.. So we could help you get more sales as we think this is all round a very good tool.

it's a shame you have no passion for this. Not to worry we will make the tool function we suggested above, it's not difficult to do.

Good luck...

12. Leslie-Young

Leslie-Young

I am only being honest in my posts, not trying to pull attitude. I do not have plans to make changes to the tool at this time so if it is not working in a way you find useful (to me is sounded like you are not working with tile based worlds since you only use the Props Tool part to place objects on Terrain) then I really do not mind giving a refund so that you can grab something that suit your needs better.

Last edited: Mar 4, 2016
  13. cookimage

cookimage

Is there any way we can change the grid size if we wanted to place bigger tiles down than the current grid size?

14. Leslie-Young

Leslie-Young

cookimage likes this.
  15. nickpappas

nickpappas

Hey Leslie, First I'd like to say this is great tool!

One issue i'm having is with the mesh combine and light baking. In the during the combine process it also needs an option to generate lightmap UVs as well. Since it doesn't, all of the light map UVs are stacked on top of each other. So its difficult to do bake lighting on a combined mesh. If leave them un-combined then i just get seams everywhere on the tiles.

I could totally be just missing it, if the feature exists....

Last edited: Apr 28, 2016
  16. Leslie-Young

Leslie-Young

Thanks for reporting. I'll investigate and see what I can do about this.

17. Leslie-Young

Leslie-Young

Oh, there is code to generate the UV2 but I disabled it since Unwrapping.GenerateSecondaryUVSet it is so slow. I'll add an option to enable it when you need it.

18. nickpappas

nickpappas

Thank you so much for the quick reply and feature update. I tried it out and yes thats much better. Still some seams here and there but im not sure yet if thats due to mesh seams in during the combine or the uv generation itself. I'll do some further explanation and get back to you!

19. AleksLA

AleksLA

Does TileEd supports transparency in the layers, in other words, can I have one layer just with grass
    and than another layer with a different smart auto-tiling texture with transparency for the blending and , but from the second layer wherever is transparent to see trough and see the layer below.
    Basically just like the examples that you have but with transparency on the tiles so if I have different terrains, the transparency will take care of the blending between any terrain with any other. I am just not sure if this is support.

I attached a example of a texture that is not properly integrated but contains the concept that I am trying to describe.

Thank you for the answer in advance.

Attached Files:

20. Leslie-Young

Leslie-Young

When you place a tile any old tile in the same position will be removed. You can't even make the tile height something like 0.01 so that you can move one height up to place the transparent pieces since that would mess things up for when you need to create actual raised/ lowered terrain.

The only thing I can think of is to use Tile Layers/ Groups. Tiles from different layers/ groups do not replace each other. You will probably want to change the pivot of the transparent tiles to include a little offset on the Y so that they are not placed right in the same position of the base tiles and cause Z-fighting.

21. AleksLA

AleksLA

I needed to know if this was possible, Good to know that I will be able to achieve it with Layers/ Groups, you should make a video demo with it to be clear for other people interested in the asset.

I am buying, thank you.

22. AleksLA

AleksLA

Actually I noticed that this plugin doesn't come with the source code, if you ever stop developing the plugin ( for example there are couple of years with no updates) , will you at least release the source code ?

The reason I am asking this is because it is not uncommon for developers to stop supporting their work after enough time passes (for example https://www.assetstore.unity3d.com/en/#!/content/3201 was a great asset, but no more support and it is closed in a dll ).

And especially if someone is making a game putting a lot of money and effort in it, it is a waste if the plugins that it is relaying on stop being supported. Especially since unity is being updated every few months and there are constantly breaking changes with the previous versions.

23. Leslie-Young

Leslie-Young

I would probably open source it on git; except if I create a competing/ updated product.

24. AleksLA

AleksLA

I can't find in the documentation or the examples how exactly to change the y offset.
    I tried manually changing the offset on the game object transform itself, but the problem is when i start drawing again on the same layer, that offset is ignore on the new tiles, but on the old tiles it is fine, but the tiles on that layer, ex "water layer" now have different "y" position by tiny offset.
    Is there a easy way to solve this ? May be some setting for y ?

25. AleksLA

AleksLA

Actually I figured out a really good way to solve that without any extra "y" padding, all I had to do is make a script that changes the render layer and the sorting order of the children of that layer recursively and it works great, but I really wish I could go a step further, and make it automatic, is there any kind of api, event when instantiating a new prefab and placing it on a layer, so I can do any adjustments?

26. Leslie-Young

Leslie-Young

You need to apply it to the pivot of the object. This is done in a 3D tool.
    https://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=max+adjust+pivot
    https://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=maya+adjust+pivot

Alternatively you can create a new GameObject and place the model in it. Center the model (0,0,0 local position) and then adjust the hight as needed. Save the parent object (which includes the model) as a prefab and use this as the tile.

The pivot is especially important when you start using the auto tiles since the mesh must be rotated correctly.

I also talk about this in the docs; here http://plyoung.com/tile-ed/tile-ed-auto-tiles.html

27. Leslie-Young

Leslie-Young

Are you using this with 2D / sprite objects or does Render Layer work in 3D too? I can look into adding an option to set the Render Layer where you set up the tile sets (similar to how you can no choose a tag and layer). Is that what you need?

There are no events triggered from TileEd.

[edit] I am thinking of Sorting Layer. How do you apply a "Render Layer " via script atm?

28. AleksLA

AleksLA

this is the example of how to use it http://code-craft.net/Documents/Screen Shot 2016-09-06 at 9.06.09 AM.png

This is the actual package I made where it works for the layers recursively
    http://code-craft.net/Documents/TileMapSortingLayer.unitypackage
    I also made PrefabLogic , which is what I tried to attach to all my prefabs, but the activate and onenable doesn't fire until the object gets selected, which means PrefabLogic can't work properly.

Basically what you really just need to make it work is
    var renderer = obj.GetComponent<Renderer>();
    renderer.sortingOrder = newSortingLayerOrder;
    renderer.sortingLayerID = newSortingLayerId

Let me know if that works.
    Also further thoughts , if you simply call a interface method on the instantiate prefab after instantiating, that would create api so everyone can do custom actions after their prefab is being instantiated which will create ability for people to extend the editor in their own way.

29. Leslie-Young

Leslie-Young

Ah, Sorting Layer then. I was confused when you said Render Layer.
    I'll make an option so that you can add it in the same way Layers and Tags can be added to a Tile Set's tiles.

30. Leslie-Young

Leslie-Young

31. AleksLA

AleksLA

Hey I just found a bug with the transitions. Here are the screenshots of the issue:
    http://code-craft.net/Documents/a1.png

and here is the transition in configuration which seems fine
    http://code-craft.net/Documents/a.png
    http://code-craft.net/Documents/a2.png

Any ideas why the water is not properly blending with the sand ?
    Also I was wondering if it would be easy to make automatically bi directional transition, in other words when i make transition from water to sand, automatically to generate based on the same tiles transition from sand to water and when i use sand or water like a brush automatically to understand what i want to transition. Currently I need to make the transition 2 times in order to achieve this effect.

32. Leslie-Young

Leslie-Young

If you want to place water tiles and have them use the water->sand transition then you need to create such a transition under the water Tile Set. Similar to how you created one for sand -> water. Or simply paint with sand tiles next to water where you want a transition applied if you do not ant to set up transitions for water set.

33. AleksLA

AleksLA

Please let me know if you have issues reproducing the bug that I mentioned, I can send you the test project if reproducing of the problem is a issue.

34. Leslie-Young

Leslie-Young

Be sure you are not seeing tiles painted on a different tile layer/group or from different tile set.

You can send me steps to reproduce if indeed a bug. Can PM me with pictures or post here if you need.

35. Leslie-Young

Leslie-Young

TileEd, and my other products, are on sale at less 40% for a limited time.

36. DwinTeimlon

DwinTeimlon

Hi there,

your tool looks really nice, and I would love to buy it!

The reason I didn't buy it yet, is because you do not offer the source code with the package.
    Any chance you are going to offer the source code anytime soon?

37. Leslie-Young

Leslie-Young

No plan to do so.

38. DwinTeimlon

DwinTeimlon

Well then, I have to look for another tool I guess. Thanks! :)

39. OneOfMany

OneOfMany

Hi, there is no TileEd on Asset Store, does it mean the tool is no longer supported?

40. Leslie-Young

Leslie-Young

TileEd is no longer available.

41. OneOfMany

OneOfMany

Sorry to hear that, looks like it was a great tool. Good luck with anything you're up to now...

42. tequyla

tequyla

what is the unity version supported by last available TileED package please ?

43. Leslie-Young

Leslie-Young

Not sure. The non-beta version that was available around January 2019.

44. krupek

krupek

where can i read documentation of tileed if i have it still?

45. soullesspsp

soullesspsp

Hi, I know this thread is old, and this assets is no longer available / supported.

I have little to none experience with tilemap editors in general. my question:
    is it common for tilemap editors to not align properly different layers with different tile sizes? unless tile sizes aren't odds numbers?
    Explanation: I have two layers one with tile size = 3 and the other tile size = 12.
    I place tiles on the 12 size layer.
    then I change to 3 size layer to place 3x3 tiles. this tiles do not align with the other layer tiles. In my head I expect that a 12x12 tile is the same size as 4 3x3 tiles, so when I place the 5th 3x3 tile it will align with the 12x12 end. but no, the grids do not align, if I make the grids sizes 3 and the other 15 then they aligns well.

So, my layers sizes (to align one with other) must be odds numbers and the bigger size must be multiple of the smaller? is like that on all tilemap editors? or this is because on this tool tiles are centered on the grid square and not at a corner?

examples:
    3x3 grid

12x12 grid

15x15

46. LT23Live

LT23Live

The issue is with the pivot of your object. For this instance it seems to be in the center (0.5, 0.5) . It should be in the bottom left corner. (0,0)

47. LT23Live

LT23Live

It would be nice if this plugin can be updated and re released or made open source @Leslie-Young . Its very useful and could use a modern update. I was lucky to have purchased it when I did.

48. soullesspsp

soullesspsp

thanks to your observation, for certain all my pivots were at center, I changed to (0,0) and something happened, tiles aligned well (size 12 with size 3), but they did not align with the grid, the tile's pivots at (0,0) were being placed at center of the grid squares. It let me to think then, that offset was something from the grid system itself, in fact I discovered (I don't know how I miss it) that every layer has a property called "center align" that is tick by default, I untick it and let the pivots at center of my graphic tiles, now all my tiles align perfectly no matter the layers grid sizes.

Thanks you very much!

I'm happy with it, using it with Unity version 2019.3.3f1 and no issues so far.

I don't think it will be open sourced, it seens that this one (and his other assets) is full forgotten: forums, youtube's channel, online documentation, etc., all erased. @Leslie-Young, please do not think I'm attacking you with my comment, you supported it several years, it's your right.

Inside the package there is a documentation zip, good enough to start using it., also there is a source code zip, I haven't see its content so I don't know if it is full source.

49. LT23Live

LT23Live

Thats good to know. I will take note of that in future developments. Glad your problem was solved.