Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

TileEd

Discussion in 'Assets and Asset Store' started by Leslie-Young, Nov 24, 2015.

1. Leslie-Young

Leslie-Young

TileEd is a 3D tile map editor/ placement tool. It helps speed up painting of game worlds when working with tiles or modular pieces that needs to align to a grid. It is for painting top-down/ isometric type 3D worlds and not really for FPS worlds consisting of modular pieces.

You can have a look at the documentation for more info or post your questions here or at the official support forum.

Here's a video showing some of the features...

Last edited: Feb 29, 2016
  2. sjm-tech

sjm-tech

Hi Leslie!
    Very handy and powerful asset.
    Only one wish... at some point you can consider to add a rotation control for Auto Tiles slots ...in this way you can match the prefab rotation to the needed slot rotation without edit each tile prefab.
    Max

3. Leslie-Young

Leslie-Young

I do not quite understand what you mean, can you please explain?

4. sjm-tech

sjm-tech

Sorry ... I hope that some image can explain best what i mean.

Edit: the goal is to make the tool compatible with theoretically all tile assets packs without edit any gameobject to match the AutoTile requisites for the correct placement.
    IsoRPG TileEd during the setup of tiles could store the needed rotation(to be added to the tile prefab) and use it during Auto Tile placement.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Nov 25, 2015
  5. Leslie-Young

Leslie-Young

oh..ye that sounds good. I was thinking of looking into doing a in-Unity pivot editor but that idea of yours could work too. I'll see what I can come up with.

6. Leslie-Young

Leslie-Young

Grab beta 0.8. I've added a pivot editor.

7. sefou

sefou

Yep. :)

8. S_Darkwell

S_Darkwell

@Leslie Young: I notice that you make the clear distinction that this tool is intended for top-down / isometric games, versus first-person worlds. What limitations does this tool have that restrict to to isometric / top-down?

I am seriously considering purchasing this asset, but this aspect is unclear to me.

Thank you in advance!
    - S.

9. Leslie-Young

Leslie-Young

Basically fact that you do not have more precise control over Y axis grid. Even with Props it is limited. So if you wanted to place a painting against a wall at a certain height it would be more effort than just doing it manually or using another tool made for full 3D grids.

Everything is based off concept that a Tile Layer has a fixed tile size (that is on the X/Z panel like 1x1, or 3.4x3.4, etc) and then there is the tile height which is fixed. The grid can be moved up and down but it is at increments of this fixed tile height only. Basically to allow for different floor or upper/lower terrain levels - see videos to get an idea.

The goal is not to be a general purpose 3D grid/ snapping tool but to make it faster to paint something when you have the benefit of using the auto tiles system. So it is really more useful to people wanting to paint the kind of worlds that are top-down and properly tile based rather than consisting of various sized module pieces which would anyway be easier to put together with vertex snapping.

10. S_Darkwell

S_Darkwell

@Leslie Young: Thank you for your response!

That was my suspicion. What I'm pondering is whether or not it would be useful for bashing out modular levels, then going in and using a more generic system (eg: ProGrids) to place wall-mounted items and the likes.

I had originally purchased ProTools' product RepTile, but it appears to have been abandoned after its initial release.

The concept I'm working on would require the construction of a large number of rather generic buildings.

1. Would this allow me to place roofs / second floors, while maintaining the floors beneath them?
    2. Is it possible to place tiles that are more than one unit in height?
    3. Does the tile height have to stay the same, or can it be changed while constructing different areas of the same level?

- S.

11. sjm-tech

sjm-tech

Just tested...works very well.

12. Leslie-Young

Leslie-Young

1. Would this allow me to place roofs / second floors, while maintaining the floors beneath them?

Yes. The editor has Grid Level so moving the grid up and down (at fixed tile height each step) would allow you place a roof at a higher grid level if you make use of Simple Tiles or Dungeon type Auto-tiles. Terrain auto-tiles is the only one that will remove tiles above and below the ones placed. There is also Tile Layer (much like layers in a paint tool)

2. Is it possible to place tiles that are more than one unit in height?

You could create tiles which includes the roof and still paint via auto-tiles if you have the correct floor and wall pieces.

The other option is to use simple tiles. If on same tile layer then they would have to still fit into the tile hight step, for example x1 or x2, or x3 higher. Else, just use a different tile layer for different tile height set. This is maybe where you might prefer something like pro grids. Not having worked with another grid tools before I do not know how it would compare and if it would be faster to use or not.

3. Does the tile height have to stay the same, or can it be changed while constructing different areas of the same level?

Within the same tile layer it must stay fixed. This is because TileEd keeps a separate map asset file which tracks what tiles were placed so that options like Map Recreate can be used and the auto-tiles will work without having to lookup placed GameObjects. There are different tile layer though and they can have different tile size and height settings from each other. http://plyoung.com/isorpg/tile-ed-map.html

Last edited: Nov 28, 2015
    S_Darkwell likes this.
  13. S_Darkwell

S_Darkwell

@Leslie Young: Thank you again for your responses!

Can two tile layers have the same height but different tile sizes? For instance, could I have two tile layers for each height, one at Y = 0 for tiles that are 2.0m and one for tiles that are 2.5m, then have another at Y = 1, again for tiles that are 2.0m and 2.5m?

Also, does your system properly display / place ProBuilder objects, or do they have to be converted to standard assets first?

Many apologies for the slew of questions. If my budget were not so tight right now, I would purchase your asset regardless, simply because of the quality and level of support I've seen you give your other assets -- but I desperately need a placement solution right now and cannot afford to make the wrong choice (again).

Thank you so much in advance!
    - S.

14. Leslie-Young

Leslie-Young

> Can two tile layers have the same height but different tile size

Yes. The idea of Tile Layers is that they are independent from each other. You can't see it in the previous screenshot but the 2nd layer has a tile size of 1. The tile size and height i the same layer may also differ from each other, so you can have a tile size of 1x1 but a height of 2.

> For instance, could I have two tile layers for each height, one at Y = 0 for tiles that are 2.0m and one for tiles that

Tile height is a value like 1, or 2.5, etc. Never 0. The "Grid Level" starts at 0 and then as you move it up or down it steps to a Y value which is a multiple of the tile height and the the grid level.
    Tile Height = 2.5 would
    Grid Level : actual Y position in scene
    -1 : -2.5
    0 : 0.0
    1 : 2.5
    2 : 5.0

> ProBuilder objects

I have no idea what a ProBuilder object is so I guess not. Tile should be GameObject. You can drag models or prefabs from the project panel into the tile sets setup area,

15. S_Darkwell

S_Darkwell

@Leslie Young: Thank you for your responses!

I've decided to take a leap and purchase your asset. I'm certain that whether or not it works perfectly for my given use case, I will find other uses for it.

Additionally, while this is my first purchase of one of your assets, I've watched you support your other assets. You put huge effort into maintaining everything you release. As such, I take comfort in knowing that I am supporting a developer who adds much to our community.

Thank you again. Hope you have a fantastic weekend!
    - S.

16. Gigaloth

Gigaloth

@Leslie Young This tool looks pretty incredible...a couple questions:

1. How does pathfinding (for, say, a real-time strategy) work for maps built with this? I noticed you have stairs/ramps for the cliff faces.
    2. For the tiles, is there a way to assign terrain values to them that feed into other parts of the game? For example, if I wanted a character to move slower on sand or be hurt by lava, that information could be read by the tile (I assume so, since they are prefabs).
    3. Can this be used for hexagonal maps? I know you have your MapNav tool which uses hexagons...any plans to integrate that into this?
    4. Finally, and most importantly, how well could this play with billboarded 2D sprites? Our game will use almost entirely 2D sprites, but they may be placed on a 3D environment ultimately...we want to achieve something similar to "Don't Starve", but possibly with multiple levels like your tool allows:

17. Leslie-Young

Leslie-Young

> How does pathfinding work for maps built with this

The same way you would do it if you were to place the tile prefabs one by one into the scene, or how you would handle your path finding on a flat plane or with the Unity Terrain. Either custom path findig system or use Unity Pathfinding.

> For the tiles, is there a way to assign terrain values

You can set (well, override what is set on the prefabs) the Tags, Layers, and Static flags values. TileEd add no scripts to the tiles so there is no way for it to manage additional data. Of course you an simply add scripts to carry that kind of data to the tile prefabs. TileEd do not modify or remove the scripts on the tile prefabs, except if you use the mesh combine. Again you could use Unity's path finding since it supports navigation cost.

> Can this be used for hexagonal maps

I do not plan on adding hexagon tiles painting support. Btw, MapNav can handle hexa grids but is not used for painting anything. It simply handles the invisible grid of nodes which could as easily lay under the Unity Terrain or a simple plane as a map consisting of actual hexagon tile art.

> how well could this play with billboarded 2D sprites

Think about how you would place them in the 3D scene if they were prefabs you dragged and dropped into the scene at regular spacing from each other. That is the same for TileEd. It does not support Unity's 2D mode since it paints on the XZ level, not XY. For TileEd the XZ plane is the Floor and Y is Up.

18. JBacal

JBacal

Hi Leslie,

Are you considering including IsoRPG in your Christmas sale?

Thanks,
    Jay

19. Leslie-Young

Leslie-Young

no

20. Bitstream

Bitstream

Please consider a runtime level editor support.

Tilesets setup, adding placeable asset... should stay only in the unity editor. But when the preconfiguration is done the creation of levels at runtime could be great.

21. Leslie-Young

Leslie-Young

I do not plan on adding any runtime editing features. I might look into it in the future but to anyone reading this, do not get the kit if you want something that works at runtime since it is not a supported feature at this time.

22. zenGarden

zenGarden

I baught your plugin it is really good.

Do you plan like rotorz something to optimize levels like combining tiles of one or all layers in one mesh for performance ?

I have a problem , the editor gizmos are no more working it seems the plugin turnd off the move, scale or rotate tools, they are displayed but they can't be manipulated ?

It is a bug ?

Last edited: Dec 29, 2015
  23. Leslie-Young

Leslie-Young

> optimize levels

With a TileEd map selected, click on the "Map Tools" tab in the Inspector. There is a combine option. You can change the size of the combined blocks of tiles in the TileEd settings via "Combine Block Size". This value indicates how many ties in an X by X range will be included per combine. Do not make it too big but experiment with this value till you find something you are happy with.

> editor gizmos

These are turned off when in TileEd Mode since TileEd can't edit the map while this is on and you should not be moving tiles manually anyway (though you can). Click on the circle icon on the TileEd toolbar - the one at the bottom of the scene view where you select your tiles/ props - to disable TileEd mode. This will diable TileEd and you can freely use the gizmo tools. This option can also be toggled via menu: "Tools > TileEd > Toggle TileEd Mode On|Off"

I see in your screenshot it is not the TileEd map but a light object that is selected while the transform gizmo is showing but its toolbar button is not on. This might be a problem since TileEd mode is only active (and controlling the transform gizmo) when a TileEd map object is selected. Or are you holding in ALT while taking the screenshot (thus is 1st toolbar button active)? I am confused at what you are trying to show as a bug.

zenGarden likes this.
  24. zenGarden

zenGarden

I only seen your videos, but i didn't see some detailled introduction video about that feature.Some stand alone introduction video about that and about the pivot editor and some other points could help some people (the example 3D tiles packages are good, but we must watch all the video to find the information on some features of the plugin).

I know, i tried Tiled off , i didn't used Atl button or any button, but Unity was stuck in the gizmo menu and gizmo functions didn't worked. Perhaps it is some Unity bug i don't know ? I 'll take another look if i can reproduce the problem again.

Do you plan a draw line fuction to quickly draw precise vertical, horizontal or directional lines ? This would help for long walls and other things ?

Keep the good work.

25. zenGarden

zenGarden

I have a bug with pivot editor, because the collisions are not affected by the modifications, only the visible mesh of the tile is affected by the pivot changes.

I changed the Y value of the floor tiles with the pivot editor but the collision of the tiles was not changed.

26. Leslie-Young

Leslie-Young

> Perhaps it is some Unity bug i don't know

Doubt it is Unity bug. TileEd does mess with the gizmo tool states so if there is a problem it is probably from it. Let me know if you know the steps to reproduce it and I will have a look at how to fix it.

> I changed the Y value of the floor tiles with the pivot editor but the collision of the tiles was not changed.

The collider component should have a way to change the position and size of the collider, except if it is a mesh collider. Best you fix the pivot in 3d tool then. The pivot editor is just there to make quick fixes. The other option is to make the object a child object of another and offset it correctly in that and save as new prefab.

27. zenGarden

zenGarden

This is strange because if i move manually the 3D model object the collision just follows the mesh as this is a Unity game object.
    While using your tool i don't know how it works but it just moves the visual mesh not the whole gameobject with it's collider.

I'll try making some prefab with an empty object as parent.

28. Leslie-Young

Leslie-Young

PM me with a copy of this edited object and instructions on how I should test.

29. Rick-

Rick-

Any plans for a simple map generator?

30. Leslie-Young

Leslie-Young

31. Rick-

Rick-

I think a simple map generator would make it worth purchasing this tool over the other cheaper solutions that does the exact same...

Last edited: Jan 2, 2016
  32. zenGarden

zenGarden

You misunderstand the tool as it is similar to Rotorz or Tidy tile mapper , this is a placement tool.
    If you look at maps generators there is a lot available on the Asset Store like D Pro and many others.

33. zenGarden

zenGarden

I pushed the test, so i can describe the bug.

I imported one model in Unity, then rotating the model and adjusting the box collider i made two prefabs of it : a floor and a wall. Notice the wall prefab is a model with 90° rotation on X.

When i place manually these prefabs on the level they keep the good orientation and collision.

Bug 1 :
    Using IsoRPG and thesess two prefabs in a tileset, isoRPG don't take account of 90° rotation of the wall prefab ( even if i delete it and replace it in the tileset)

Trying to correct the wall tile , i rotate the wall prefab to 90° on X with isoRPG pivot editor

Bug 2 : pivot Editor rotates both wall and floor prefab , but i only slected anb rotated the wall (left prefabs on the image below)

Bug 3 : pivot editor also rotated the original prefabs but in the inverse angle and collision did not follow (two prefabs on right on the image below)

If i don't use isoRpg , if i place manually the wall and floor prefabs, they keep the rotation i give to them and they have the collision box rotated accrodingly to the new rotation angle.

IsoRPG has issues with prefabs rotations and collisions.

You can find the wall and floor prefabs in the zip (it also contains original FBX).
    https://www.sendspace.com/file/54y7ig

Last edited: Jan 9, 2016
  34. Leslie-Young

Leslie-Young

The Pivot Editor is to make simple adjustments and can't update the colliders.

Export the model from your 3D tool with the correct pivot rotation or make the model a child object of another (rotate it as needed in this parent object) and save the whole thin gas a new prefab to use as tile.

If you drag and drop a model into the Unity scene and you see anything other than 0x0x0 in the rotation then that model's pivot was not set up correctly before export.

The auto-tiles have very specific requirements about the pivot. See these docs. http://www.plyoung.com/isorpg/tile-ed-auto-tiles.html

Last edited: Jan 9, 2016
  35. zenGarden

zenGarden

That is strange because rotating a prebab in Unity manually or by code automatically the colliders just follows the prefab as it is a child component.
    I made a test with Rotorz and the collider just follows perfab new orientation

It is sad that a simple prefab manipulation is somewhat not working within IsoRPG pivot editor.
    but i understood , you don't plan extending the pivot editor or improving it.

It should not be a big problem as this is only a rotation. you duplicate it as prefabs it keeps the rotation.

You duplicate the model as a wall giving a 90° rotation and save as pefab, manually you can do anything with prefabs like giving any rotations , they stays correct and keep rotations and collision just follows.

Why such simple manual things don't work when it is coded in a plugin ? It is Unity ?

I am just very surprised, but i understood your plugin needs separate models with correct collision from start, because the pivot editor is almost useless in many cases as the collision don't get updated unlike rotating a prefab manually.

36. Leslie-Young

Leslie-Young

Decided to just record a video to explain this.

37. zenGarden

zenGarden

It is more clear on the video about the rules to follow in the modeler.
    Thank you.

38. RkSanders

RkSanders

Is it possible to update prefabs using an editor script? I'm trying to use:

EditorUtility.ReplacePrefab(obj, prefab, ReplacePrefabOptions.ReplaceNameBased);

but it breaks the prefab references in the TileEd kit.

39. Leslie-Young

Leslie-Young

I can't see why it would not work. That would be similar to dragging a GameObject from the scene over a Prefab.

[edit] I did a quick test with a simple script that references a prefab and even there it broke. It seems that function is actually breaking the references. You might want to ask on answers or forum about how to make changes to a prefab without breaking the references. I've never done this so I am not sure myself.

Last edited: Jan 11, 2016
  40. Brity

Brity

Hello Leslie,

I did what you said. deleted the cache now I only get the console errors:

Package does not contain valid asset for: Assets/plyoung/plyLib/runtime/plyLib.dll

UnityEditor.Scripting.APIUpdaterHelper:DoesAssemblyRequireUpgrade(String) at AssemblyUpdater.Application.Program.Main (System.String[] args) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0 at AssemblyUpdater.Application.Program.CheckForObsoleteAPIUsage (AssemblyUpdater.Application.CommandLineSpec config) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0 at AssemblyUpdater.Core.AssemblyUpdaterPipeline.Run (AssemblyUpdater.Core.AssemblyUpdaterContext context) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0 at AssemblyUpdater.Core.AssemblyUpdaterPipeline.RunUpdateRound (AssemblyUpdater.Core.AssemblyUpdaterContext context) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0 at AssemblyUpdater.Steps.AssemblyUpdaterStepBase.Apply (AssemblyUpdater.Core.AssemblyUpdaterContext context) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0 at Unity.Cecil.Visitor.Extensions.Accept (Mono.Cecil.AssemblyDefinition assemblyDefinition, Unity.Cecil.Visitor.Visitor visitor) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0 at Unity.Cecil.Visitor.Extensions.DoAccept[AssemblyDefinition] (Mono.Cecil.AssemblyDefinition definition, Unity.Cecil.Visitor.Visitor visitor) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0 at Unity.Cecil.Visitor.Visitor.Visit[AssemblyDefinition] (Mono.Cecil.AssemblyDefinition node, Unity.Cecil.Visitor.Context context) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0 at System.Reflection.MethodBase.Invoke (System.Object obj, System.Object[] parameters) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0 at System.Reflection.MonoMethod.Invoke (System.Object obj, BindingFlags invokeAttr, System.Reflection.Binder binder, System.Object[] parameters, System.Globalization.CultureInfo culture) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0 --- End of inner exception stack trace --- at System.Reflection.MonoMethod.Invoke (System.Object obj, BindingFlags invokeAttr, System.Reflection.Binder binder, System.Object[] parameters, System.Globalization.CultureInfo culture) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0 at (wrapper managed-to-native) System.Reflection.MonoMethod:InternalInvoke (System.Reflection.MonoMethod,object,object[],System.Exception&) at Unity.Cecil.Visitor.Visitor.Visit (Mono.Cecil.AssemblyDefinition assemblyDefinition, Unity.Cecil.Visitor.Context context) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0 at Unity.Cecil.Visitor.Visitor.Visit (Mono.Cecil.ModuleDefinition moduleDefinition, Unity.Cecil.Visitor.Context context) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0 at Unity.Cecil.Visitor.Visitor.Visit (Mono.Cecil.TypeDefinition typeDefinition, Unity.Cecil.Visitor.Context context) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0 at Unity.Cecil.Visitor.Visitor.Visit (Mono.Cecil.MethodDefinition methodDefinition, Unity.Cecil.Visitor.Context context) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0 at Unity.Cecil.Visitor.Visitor.Visit (Mono.Cecil.Cil.MethodBody methodBody, Unity.Cecil.Visitor.Context context) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0 at Unity.Cecil.Visitor.Visitor.Visit (Mono.Cecil.Cil.Instruction instruction, Unity.Cecil.Visitor.Context context) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0 at AssemblyUpdater.Steps.MemberReferenceReplacer.Visit (Mono.Cecil.MethodReference methodReference, Unity.Cecil.Visitor.Context context) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0 at AssemblyUpdater.Steps.MemberReferenceReplacer.MemberReferenceReplacementFor (Mono.Cecil.MethodReference methodReference) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0 at AssemblyUpdater.Steps.MemberReferenceReplacer.MemberReferenceReplacementForProperty (Mono.Cecil.MethodReference method) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0 at Mono.Cecil.TypeReference.Resolve () [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0 at Mono.Cecil.ModuleDefinition.Resolve (Mono.Cecil.TypeReference type) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0 at Mono.Cecil.MetadataResolver.Resolve (Mono.Cecil.TypeReference type) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0 at Mono.Cecil.DefaultAssemblyResolver.Resolve (Mono.Cecil.AssemblyNameReference name) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0 at Mono.Cecil.BaseAssemblyResolver.Resolve (Mono.Cecil.AssemblyNameReference name) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0 at Mono.Cecil.BaseAssemblyResolver.Resolve (Mono.Cecil.AssemblyNameReference name, Mono.Cecil.ReaderParameters parameters) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0 System.Reflection.TargetInvocationException: Exception has been thrown by the target of an invocation. ---> Mono.Cecil.AssemblyResolutionException: Failed to resolve assembly: 'plyLib, Version=1.0.0.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=null'

FileNotFoundException: Could not load file or assembly 'plyLib, Version=1.0.0.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=null' or one of its dependencies.

41. Leslie-Young

Leslie-Young

With which version of Unity did you get this error?

I've tested an import into a clean 5.3.2 project and get no errors during import.

Last edited: Feb 29, 2016
  42. Brity

Brity

5.3.3f1

43. Leslie-Young

Leslie-Young

I am busy downloading 5.3.3. Seems like they might have changed something in the API again. Would not expect it between minor updates but who knows... will get back to you once I got 5.3.3. installed and tested TileEd in it.

44. Brity

Brity

Thanks for trying Leslie, but I don't have high hopes. I don't think it's going to work. I've tried it in many versions and the same thing is happening. I even changed the location of the asset store 5x location and still the same thing. it's a real bummer. Koz this tool looks AWESOME!!

I'm going to try it on another computer, but I too will need to download Unity on there.

45. Leslie-Young

Leslie-Young

I mean.. I need to install 5.3.3 so I can see what changed and fix it. So look for an update later today.

46. Brity

Brity

lol I know what you meant.. I'm just going to try it on another computer.. maybe its my computer that's the problem.

47. Leslie-Young

Leslie-Young

I've just imported, from the Asset Store, into a new 5.3.3f1 project and no errors came up. I am testing on Windows 10. What OS are you using?

What target is your build settings on? Don't know if this might be a factor.

48. Brity

Brity

Windows 10
    Windows Desktop Build

49. Brity

Brity

Thanks Leslie for the update. It works perfect now. No errors at all.

50. Brity

Brity

Hello Leslie.

I really love this asset. But I have found a little bug or two.

Bug 1: when dragging a prefab onto the settings/Props/+ the prefabs are being added but the icons are showing the timer pic. If I drag that same prefab into the scene and click apply and then do the same thing (drag prefab from project) it will show the correct icon.

All newly created prefabs are fine to. This isn't a problem for a few items but because unity doesn't support multi prefab drag into scene it will take quite a long time to do 100's of prefabs.

Bug 2: Holding down shift (remover mode) doesn't seem to work most of the time. Are objects required to have a collider to be able to be deleted (removed) this way? (my objects don't have colliders. they're just back drop objects)

Bug 3: Holding down Ctrl (Mark mode) has a similar issue to Bug2. But it also has a problem with the mode icon flashing on and off whilst holding down Ctrl.

That's all :)

Thanks for your time.