Search Unity

1. Unity Asset Manager is now available in public beta. Try it out now and join the conversation here in the forums.
    Dismiss Notice

TileData override flags alternate solution

Discussion in '2D Experimental Preview' started by Jay-Pavlina, Jun 14, 2016.

1. Jay-Pavlina

Jay-Pavlina

I think the TileFlags that are set on TileData are a little confusing. I have a solution that is more clear, but I don't know if you have language restrictions that prevent you from doing this. Anyway, in C#, I'd use nullable types to cover two of the overrides.

Instead of TileFlags.OverrideColor, I'd recommend using Color? and if you want to override it, just set it to a value other than null.

Same thing for TileFlags.OverrideTransform... I'd recommended using Matrix4x4? and just setting it to something other than null if you want to override it.

So instead of this:
    Code (CSharp):
    1. public class TileData {
    2.   public Color color;
    3.   public Matrix4x4 transform;
    4.   public int flags;
    5.   // ...
    6. }
    You would have this:
    Code (CSharp):
    1. public class TileData {
    2.   public Color? color;
    3.   public Matrix4x4? transform;
    4.   // no flags ...
    5. }
    I don't have a solution for TileFlags.OverrideSpawnGameObjectRuntimeOnly, but since that relates to the editor only, it seems like it shouldn't be in the game code. Just my thoughts...

Xepherys likes this.
  2. Xepherys

Xepherys

This would certainly make things more clear. There would have to be a Nullable<T> version of the types, but I don't see any reason that would be impossible to do.

3. Xelnath

Xelnath

Seconded. I feel like in general, the lack of nullability on Unity properties means that it is very hard to say:

"I want this to use the default value from code".

Xepherys likes this.