Search Unity

Question Tiled slice mode in UI Toolkit / Builder?

Discussion in 'UI Toolkit' started by NNSkelly, Feb 10, 2023.

1. NNSkelly

NNSkelly

Tile Mode (as per https://docs.unity3d.com/Manual/9SliceSprites.html ) was a great way to get a pixel-clean but visually engaging background to UI boxes of widely varying sizes and aspects, frequently without even needing to make a source texture more than ~64x64. I'm not seeing anything like tiled mode in the current UI Toolkit documentation, however, and the default slice behavior appears to be to stretch everything but the corner slices. This seems to mean that if your center or sides are anything but flat colors or smooth gradients, they will be stretched and blurred to heck, and a project will need independently baked source textures for pretty much every size and shape of window, largely defeating the point of slicing.

Is tiled slicing possible in UI Toolkit? If so, how (manually typed USS is fine)? If not, is this a planned feature?

Riffing off a very simple repeated-pinstripes pattern a la classic Phantasy Star Online, a single 64x64 square PNG can look great filling a narrow box spanning most of a 1920x1080 screen space in ye olde 2D Sprite UI system, but seems to only be able to look like hot trash in UI Toolkit.
    tiled.png UIBuilder.png

2. martinpa_unity

martinpa_unity

Unity Technologies

Hi @NNSkelly!

Unfortunately, this is not possible out-of-the-box today. You can use 9-sliced sprites (by either setting up the sprite directly or using the slicing style properties) and you can use tiling (background-repeat and other related style properties), but you can't use both at the same time to achieve sliced tiling.

One (suboptimal) workaround would be to use two visual elements:
    • One with a 9-sliced sprite for the border
    • One with the "content" that can be tiled using the background-repeat style properties
    It is suboptimal because it doesn't fix the stretching issues that would appear on the borders.

Hope this helps!

3. ElevenArt

ElevenArt

Hi, slicing in your solution is working, but your scale mode setting is set to stretch-to-fill. Have you tried changing the scale mode?

4. vallis_unity

vallis_unity

Is supporting this combination out of the box on the roadmap, or is the workaround the only option?

5. benoitd_unity

benoitd_unity

Unity Technologies

Hello, could you please report a bug about this limitation? It seems the feature is not working as expected and we'll try to see if this can be prioritized.

Thanks!

RageAgainstThePixel likes this.
  6. Big_Friggin_Al

Big_Friggin_Al

Are there any plans to have unity support 9-slice tiling?

7. Hellfim

Hellfim

8. Alex16212

Alex16212

Unlike the topicstarter, I achieved unblurred behaviour for my 9-sliced texture. But tiling not. Please explain, is the feature of tiling is still under development, or is it another feature, which already works, and I need to make some changes to achieve the tiling?

In my case, the original texture source is this 48x48 pixels PNG image with transparency (each smallest uncolored square is transparent):
    upload_2023-10-27_13-15-46.png

So, I imported it two times - as a normal texture and as a sprite:
    upload_2023-10-27_13-25-57.png

Through the UI Toolkit Builder I added a Visual Element with the texture as background and a ListView with the sprite as background (each smallest square has 4 pixels size in the original texture source, so I sliced 16 pixels from each side):

upload_2023-10-27_13-32-52.png

In runtime it looks like this:
    upload_2023-10-27_14-8-4.png

So, there is no tiling as it described here for the SpriteRenderer.

The desirable behaviour should be like this:
    upload_2023-10-27_13-58-8.png

Last edited: Oct 27, 2023
    obliviouschimp and DrViJ like this.
  9. obliviouschimp

obliviouschimp

Same issue with tiling

See attached attempting to create basic dashed line border.

Any fixes or workarounds suggested?

Screenshot 2024-01-24 at 12.37.00 PM.png

10. RageAgainstThePixel

RageAgainstThePixel

I keep seeing "not supported" over and over again. Do we at least have an ETA on this?

11. jpdodson42

jpdodson42

Here to say I had same experience, really wish that this feature would be possible soon, it's a really core function of UI and makes me want to backtrack to old UI.