Search Unity

Tileble variation texture for terrain.

Discussion in 'General Graphics' started by idraoth, Sep 22, 2017.

1. idraoth

idraoth

Hello everyone,

I'm trying to create a good looking terrain, but when you tile a texture you can clearly see the same texture repeated all over. I've tried creating a substance material that uses randomization but then the texture will randomize but it will still be the same texture repeated. Is there a way to make those materials more natural? Or is there a way to change the randomization from the substance material each tile?

The two attachments are two different variations made by randomization of my substance.

Attached Files:

2. jbooth

jbooth

Not really without using a custom shader. Common tricks include:

- Blending in extra diffuse or normal maps at a different UV scale
    - Resampling the same textures at a different scale

I have several forms of these in the Anti-Tiling modules for MicroSplat, and you'll find variations of these in most high quality terrain shaders. The basic idea is that you cannot get rid of tiling, but you can cover it up with more textures.

In MegaSplat, I use a system called Texture Clusters to actually solve tiling- since MegaSplat allows up to 256 textures on a single terrain/mesh, the idea is that you use something like substance to export several variations of each texture, then mix them based on a noise function such that you never see any tiling. You could simulate this by making each variation it's own terrain texture and painting between them, but you'd quickly chew up all the available textures on a standard Unity terrain.