Search Unity

1. Unity 2019.1 is now released.
    Dismiss Notice

tile generation in 3d

Discussion in 'Scripting' started by twn9009, May 2, 2019.

1. twn9009

twn9009

hi i was just wondering how i would go about generating tiles in 3d space, i have found loads of documentation on how to to a 2d tile generator however when i try and get it to work with cubes in 3d it doesn't generate anything, i have learnt the basics c# but need practise so if there are any tutorials i could use i would appreciate it muchly if you could post them

2. GroZZleR

GroZZleR

Could you elaborate on what are you trying to generate? A maze? A cave? A random 16x16x16 block with certain cubes missing?

SparrowsNest likes this.
  3. SparrowsNest

SparrowsNest

Doesnt generate anything?, not even errors?
    Show us the code you tried.

4. twn9009

twn9009

it generated a hella load of errors i just used code for a 2d tile generator and changed the vector2 to vector3 and added in the z data, its deleted now i'm clearly barking up the wrong tree, i'm trying to generate an infinite procedural landscape that's mostly smooth so that i can add random "biome" related assets to each generated tile, each tile needs to be saved when it is discovered and loading a few tiles at a time around the character to make it seem seamless is what i am trying to go for, sorry for the info dump just don't know where to start

5. GroZZleR

GroZZleR

You'll want to search up voxel terrain generation / chunk generation. It's going to be a lot of work to generate a seamless, streaming infinite terrain.

6. twn9009

twn9009

okay thanks i've had a quick look into voxels and octrees but i'll keep searching