Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

Tile Based Map Nav

Discussion in 'Assets and Asset Store' started by Leslie-Young, Jun 2, 2012.

1. theotherkaki

theotherkaki

You are the Baltar to my Tyrol. (Think stealth viper...) While I don't understand everything, I know what I want to do and your asset has helped me immensely.
    To others reading this thread; If you want to make a tile based game without scripting/programming (much), this asset will help you. If you can code, this asset will teach you, as well as give you a means to throw a quick prototype together (or a whole game). The author gives the code to show the means, and others forbid reverse engineering. When you ask a question in this thread an answer is forthcoming, even if it be a no-can-do.
    In the end, we all need to learn how to do this stuff. This is like a tutorial without the nappy changing (i.e. fast, but hard). Whatever you don't understand, LOOK IT UP.
    For a more detailed review, go to www. JUST FRAKKIN' BUY IT !!!

Once again, Thank You. I shall bother you no more.

Last edited: Mar 16, 2013
  2. Leslie-Young

Leslie-Young

I frakin love BSG (the new version) and Baltar was my fav character ;)

3. Deleted User

Deleted User

Hello Leslie and forum goers,

I've purchased the TBM&N product and watched your videos, played around with the tool. I am still new to Unity3d and am trying to get myself up to speed.

I see that you can build a Unity terrain and apply the grid to it and that works fine. I see also that you can construct a terrain out of prefabs / a mesh, whatever, and apply the grid to it and that works fine too.

My question is, can this be used for multiple levels in the same map? For example, create a unity terrain. Drop in a prefab of a tomb, a ramp sloping into the ground, a set of doors, and a subterranean level. Alternately, drop a prefab bridge that the player can walk on..

Can this system be used to create tiles in those scenarios?

I read through the thread and nobody answered, so thought I would chime in and add.

Thanks and have a great day.

4. Leslie-Young

Leslie-Young

Yes, you can and you can. You can add more than one MapNav to the scene and can link them up (sample 6 I think shows this). So you can use one for your terrain and one for your subterranean level and link them up at the door. If you actually "portal" the player to the subterranean level when he reaches the door then you would not link the mapnavs but just place and link the player with whatever node is the correct one on the 2nd mapnav so that he can use the 2nd mapnav for navigation.

5. NimDigital

NimDigital

Yeah, very nice tool and update.
    I am a fan of the metal marine (Namco) and Battle isle (bluebyte), and now with Unity i want to start my dream with a small demo like this.
    I just want to ask is it work well with the type of this map, i mean some of height level (sorry if this is not the first time some one ask like me).
    $278042-metal-marines-windows-3-x-screenshot-headquarters-placements.png
    $Metal_Marines.gif

Last edited: Mar 25, 2013
  6. Leslie-Young

Leslie-Young

This package works well with maps of 80x80 or smaller number of tiles. Bigger maps might influence performance too much since each node is a gameobject. There is support for nodes to be of different heights. The sample units and movement code only support one-tile-big units and not something like a 2x2 of 1x2, etc type unit sizes. This package does nothing related to graphics, it is the hidden/invisible thing that is used to move your units around using a grid of nodes/tiles.

7. NimDigital

NimDigital

yeah, 80x80 it was more than i need, I actually only need about 25x25.
    Thank you so much, i think i will buy a license now :p

PS: anybody doing something like me? it is very best if we keep a communicate and help together to solve the issues :p

8. Aranhawebs

Aranhawebs

Hello again. Another question, is there a way to hide the markers of attackMarkers that isn`t on the grid ? I`ve tried to make them deactive using Raycast but each ring is one gameObject and I can`t deactive each marker.

9. Leslie-Young

Leslie-Young

Are you talking about, RadiusMarker? The only way to hide seperate nodes in it would be to run through its markerNodes list and cast a ray to see if a MapNav node is hit and then hide as needed. The MapNav nodes will have to be on (their colliders enabled) for this to work. You could also check against your terrain if it has a collider.

10. Admiral-Skye

Admiral-Skye

In the sample scenes you gave, the attack markers appear in every tile in range except for tile with units on them. I want to make it show the markers only on tiles with nearby enemies when attacking, and show the full range when pressing a button wile selected. I've been having 2 problems. I can't find a way get the tiles with enemies on them and if the character moves, the markers that were off stay off regardless if it has no enemies in that tile. How can I make them show only on tiles with enemies and why am I getting that second problem?

11. Leslie-Young

Leslie-Young

>> In the sample scenes you gave, the attack markers appear in every tile in range except for tile with units on them
    I think you are refering to the markers that show up when movin ga unit - showing valid tiles that cna be selected to move the unit to. I guess you could use these as attack markers too. They can be turned on/off with the Show(bool) function of TileNode (line 142 in TileNode.cs). To determine what nodes has enemies on them you simply run through the nodes and check the units list of the TileNode class. If the units.count == 0 then there is none, else the list will contain a reference to each unit on it. (it is a list cause a flying and land unit could occupy the same node). You could use TileNode.GetAllInRange(...) to get a list of the nodes in a certain radius from a specific one (for example from the one you want to test what is in attack range of). Yo ucan also have a look at sample scrips, GameController.OnNaviUnitClick(...) to see how units that can be attacked (in range) is chosen and attack initiated.

>> and if the character moves, the markers that were off stay off regardless if it has no enemies in that tile
    Not sure what the problem with this can be since it depends on what your code tells the TileNodes to do.. turning on and off the markers. Also, don't base your game code off of one of the sample gamecontrollers as they are doing things specific to the samples and is only there to help you understand how to use the cor classes and functions.

12. zeeshan0026

zeeshan0026

We have an game that will use 200*200 tiles per map. I want to know that now it support 200 *200 tiles per map or still we cannot exceed from 50 *50 tiles per map.

Thanks,

13. Leslie-Young

Leslie-Young

I would not recommend it with such a big map as init times might be too long. When you run the game a cache is created of the nodes and it is this that might be too long for such big maps. It is a matter of running through 40,000 (200x200) nodes vs 2500 (50x50). Besides that it also needs to check for the neighbours for each of the nodes to setup the linking between them. It took a second after pressing play in Unity before the view switched from Scene view to Game. .which is a quick test of how long this takes.

Generating this in Unity took more than a minute and it is imposible to actually use the scene view when the links and gizmos for the links are on. Overall, I think you will have a bad experience with 200x200 maps and do not recommend map&nav for it.

14. zeeshan0026

zeeshan0026

Any alternative? We already made 200 tiles per map Game in AndEngine and now planning to make it in Unity.

15. Leslie-Young

Leslie-Young

Sorry, I have no idea what else you can use. Whatever you choose should not be based on gameobjects for nodes, as it is just too much when doing such a big map.

16. scorpiopl

scorpiopl

Hello, I've got a question about the current version of this package. How large of a grid can be successfully ran on this and how much ram would that take to run it ? For mathematical purposes lets say 1k x 1k or 500x500 and how much ram would that take? Thanks

17. Leslie-Young

Leslie-Young

I have no idea how much ram it would take. Each node in the grid is an actual GameObject, so how much ram would 500x500 gameobjects take?

As explained, three posts up, the system is best used with smaller maps of no more than 80x80 tiles because of performance issues. 500 and 1k is out of the question.

18. scorpiopl

scorpiopl

ok thanks. I asked because there is quite a difference between best use and edge case. Still, trying to design something that works for such vast grids I know how much work a system like this takes. Been at mine for weeks and I'm kinda half way through so in light of that I mean it when I say it: Great work! Keep on going!

19. MrMonster

MrMonster

Hey Leslie, do you think you can share how you did the AI for Battlemass? I've been using the TBM&N as well as built stat/unit management, level management and menu states. I've just been stuck on the AI for a while and can't seem to get it to work correctly, which ideally would be something similar to what you did in Battlemass.

20. Leslie-Young

Leslie-Young

Have a look at this post, http://forum.unity3d.com/threads/138355-Tile-Based-Map-amp-Nav?p=1117216&viewfull=1#post1117216

21. ProphetSword

ProphetSword

I bought this today and imported it into my project. Unfortunately, it churned out a bunch of errors, all of which are a part of the CameraOrbit script.

The errors include:

"Cannot implicitly convert type 'UnityEngine.Vector3' to 'var'"
    "Type 'var' does not contain a definition for 'x' and no extension method of type 'x' could be found"
    "Type 'var' does not contain a definition for 'y' and no extension method of type 'y' could be found"
    "The best overloaded method match for 'CameraOrbit.ClampAngle(float, float, float)' has some invalid arguments."

Now, I'm pretty sure this isn't your fault. It so happens that my project has a public class named var, which is used for a great number of things. I'm writing to see if you can help me figure out how I can fix this so that I can use this in my project. I looked, but didn't see a variable named var anywhere, so do you have any ideas of where I should be looking to alter the code?

22. Leslie-Young

Leslie-Young

var is a type in C#. You should not be making classes of the same name. http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/bb383973.aspx

Anyway, I do not normally use it but somehow one sneeked in. You can simply change, \Tile Based Map and Nav\Scripts\Common\CameraOrbit.cs line 39 to read,

Code (csharp):
    2. Vector3 angles = transform.eulerAngles;

23. ProphetSword

ProphetSword

Wow, I had no idea it was a type in C# (and I'm surprised it didn't flag an error when I created it). I thought that you had created a variable with that name somewhere that I couldn't locate. Hmmm...may have to rethink my class name, then. Thanks for the information.

Like I said, I didn't think it was your fault. Looking forward to utilizing your work in my project.

24. nicklorion

nicklorion

After reading this complete thread, I'm almost at a point of buying this asset.

although few things,
    you mentioned that it's wise to keep the maps under 50x50 due to the performance issues.
    Namely the check of neighboring nodes and the linking between them.

Would it make a difference to drop it from checking each neightboring node and instead just check for impassable nodes and have a modified pathfinding check for those impassable nodes?
    This should drasticly cut down the performance issues and would make it possible to use this asset for a more then just turnbased games if I'm not mistaken..?

Just to be clear I'm not asking you to change your code or add new features. I'm just wondering if it's possible to DIY without to much of a hassle.

Kind regards,

Nick

25. Leslie-Young

Leslie-Young

My path finding implementation would not work if the neighbours are not set up since it would not know how to move from node to node. In fact, a lot of build in fucntions would become useless without the linking, but yes, you could coment out the code doing the linking. I suppose you could create an algo that uses the element's position in the array (mapnav uses a 1D array//list, not 2D) to figure out where it is in relation to its neighbours but that is totally different from how map&bav expect to work and if you are going for this you could just as well write your own thing and skip buying mapnav. Also, if you are going to generate a 100x100 map then things wil lstill be slow in the editor since you have 100x100 gameobjects. For big maps I suggest doing something that do not depend on gameobjects at all.

26. bobum

bobum

Hey Leslie - just want to let you know that this is a PHENOMINAL tool that you've got here. For our game we've successfully used your TBM&N to run our strategic map which is a pre-made static map and our tactical maps which are procedurally generated. It's really coming along well and the randomness of the tactical maps make combat really fun.

Just know you get a lot of questions here and wanted to let you know that we're EXTREMELY pleased with everything you've packed up here - it has saved us literally hundreds of hours and really pushed our game development very far down the road.

Keep up the great work!

27. Leslie-Young

Leslie-Young

Let me know when the game is done. Would love to check it out.

28. everush

everush

Is it possible to see the round?

29. Sammual

Sammual

Sounds interesting, can we get any more info on your game?

30. bobum

bobum

Yea - sure I guess - you'll have to give me some time to pretty things up a little so that I don't embarrass my team when we show it...we've been focusing on engineering and not so much on artwork so...it's rough...I'll see if I can spin something up next week after the holiday. you can see some concept stuff here: http://mercilesscreations.com/ Keep an eye out there - I don't wanna hijack Leslies thread here...

And thanks again Leslie for this great Unity asset

31. Leslie-Young

Leslie-Young

That looks cool :D

32. Eneco

Eneco

It would be nice if you add custom node linking/delinking
    and support for moving platforms (eg. add couple nodes of choise and connect only the to closest)

33. Leslie-Young

Leslie-Young

The TileNode class has an UnlinkWithNode() function which could be use to unlink with one of the neighbouring nodes, or Unlink() to unlink with all neighbours. There is also SetLinkState() which can be used to set a state of not being linked (it works like a switch and do not actually remove the link like unlink would do).

For platforms you could create a 2nd mapnav of the size of your platform. Then keep a record of the nodes that this platform can touch from the main map and the nodes of the platform that will be touching the main map(s) on either side. When the platform reached the one side of a map you use TNEForcedLink to link the on side of the platform's nodes with the nodes of the map it is touching. When it is about to move away you simply remove the TNEForcedLink on all the involved nodes and once it reached the other side you do the whole forced linking again.

34. marcelotk

marcelotk

Hi Leslie! I'm developing my game using your tile system and it's being a great help! Thank you

There's something I couldn't figure out how to solve though. Every time I hit play, the coliders and the renderers of the nodes are instantly disabled. I tried creating an empty project as it could be some mistake I made but it doesn't seems to be the case.

Also there's a feature that could be very welcomed for your package. An improvement to you gamecontrol that make it possible to preset the position of some units. Like some pre-made challenges or bosses. I made the change for myself and I imagine it can be useful for a lot of people.

35. Leslie-Young

Leslie-Young

They will be turned off by defaul.t See MapNav.Start() making a call to ShowAllTileNodes(false); after linking of the nodes where done. I guess it might work different for your game design but in Battlemass it worked like this. Markers are hidden and colliders are turned off until a unit is selected to be moved. When you select a unit I turn on the markers to indicate where it can be moved and only those markers' colliders are turned on so that if you click on an invalid node then the raycast won't hit a collider and the unit's movement code won't be called. Once the unit moves I turn off all the markers and associated colliders again.

If you do not want this then simply remove the call I mentioned in the Start function and make sure to make changes as needed in the game controller if you are basing yours off the sample ones.

I do not want to add too many features to the sample game controllers since they are just samples of how to get started with Map&Nav.

36. Ed Ropple

Ed Ropple

Sorry if these questions have been answered previously, but I haven't seen it anywhere. Thanks in advance.

- Can one-way edges be created at design time? i.e., edge E exists between nodes V and W, but can only be traversed from V to W.

- Can non-uniform spaces be laid out at design time? i.e., a bridge over which units can travel, while also going beneath it. (This ties in with one-way links; for example, being able to go over the side of the bridge and drop below.)

I say 'at design time' because I don't really want to muck around with dynamic instantiation of nodes (and I'm not even sure if it's possible to add a fifth 'inward' edge to a node with four neighbors). My artists are likely to be doing level design, and I don't really want to force them to write code to build one.

Thanks!

37. Leslie-Young

Leslie-Young

One-way can be done via the TNELinksOnOffSwitch which allows you to turn the link between two nodes on and off without breaking the links. So you place this switch on the bridge node and the ground node, the ground node's link is set to off and while bridge's is set in fact, the bridge's node do not even need a Switch, on it the ground needs it since you want to turn the link off from ground level towards bridge level. (Do note, there is a bug which will turn the link off in both direction if it is off on any of the two nodes, I'm submitting an update now to fix this so it should be available next week sometime)
    TNELinksOnOffSwitch* can be seen in action in "sample03_variable_height"

For your second questions, no, you cannot have two nodes linking to the same "side" of another node but there is a workaround. MapNav support linking maps with each other so you could create a small 1x2 map (or whatever size you need) and place that under the bridge and then use the TNEForcedLink component to setup a link between the nodes of the two maps. This allows you to force a link between two nodes, ignoring "sides". "sample05_linking_maps" shows TNEForcedLink in action.

Last edited: Jun 8, 2013
  38. Ed Ropple

Ed Ropple

Interesting, thanks.

Another thing I'm having trouble reconciling with this model is calculating movement costs via edges, rather than via nodes; this is necessary for, for example, increasing movement costs when a unit jumps over a railing or climbs up a ladder. I get that that isn't implemented by default, but I'm curious how you'd suggest extending the system to support it--the documentation isn't really helping me use it, let alone extend it.

39. Leslie-Young

Leslie-Young

Not quite sure how this can be done. I'm thinking it will involve extending the kinda data that a link carries so that is is not just simply a link but can carry cost to move info too which MapNav.GetPath can use when calculating the path, TileNode.nodeLinks is only available at runtime however. So a lot would have to be changed to have that inited for editing and displayed on the inspector so that costs could be entered.

That is the reason for the "tile extensions" which are components that can be dumped onto the nodes at design time. Perhaps creating one of those to carry info about cost when coming from this node and moving to that node could work. Almost like a mix between how parts of TNEMovementModifier, TNELinksOnOffSwitch and TNEForcedLink works. MapNav.GetPath would have to be changed to also check for the new extension and query it about cost when moving from node A to B. You might also want to check other places that reference TNEMovementModifier, for example the code that decides how which ndoe markers to show if you are using that too.

40. ProphetSword

ProphetSword

This is probably a simple question, but is there documentation somewhere that details how to make a unit and use it? I can create maps just fine, but I don't know how to turn something I have into a unit and make it interact with the map. If you can point me in the right direction, it would be much appreciated (I read the documentation included, but it didn't seem to say anything about the subject).

Also, I should point out that when I try to create a unit and click on it, I get an error message. I don't know if it's because I did something wrong or I just don't know how to do it.

41. Leslie-Young

Leslie-Young

MapNav's main system is just the mapping part and nodes. The Units and related code are samples of a possible way of using MapNav.

Making a Unit from the sample components is pretty easy though. You simply put the Unit and SampleWeapon scripts onto the prefab that should be a Uni and fill out the fields in the inspector. You also need to set the Layer for that object/prefab to Unit (which should be on layer 21 for the samples). It obviously need some kind of collider too for for the mouse click raycast.

I can't think of anything else that is needed. Please post a copy of any error message you get in the future so that I can assist better.

42. ProphetSword

ProphetSword

Still getting the error. Whenever I click on an object that I want to act as a unit, I get this message:

!dest.m_MultiFrameGUIState.m_NamedKeyControlList

Any thoughts?

43. Leslie-Young

Leslie-Young

Please copy and paste the complete error message so that I can see on what line in the source this error occur.

44. Aurecon_Unity

Aurecon_Unity

Hi Leslie

I just purchased this plugin, it's very awesome.

Like Ed Ropple, I am keen to try and find a way to assign certain movement costs based on vertical movement. So, for instance, (in a 1 x 1 tile grid), a character that moves to an adjacent tile 2 units higher, would have 3 movement points deducted in total (up 2 tiles, forward 1 tile). Is there any plans to implement something like this in a future update?

Also, can you advise if you have considered the ability to manually place nodes and connections? I ask because I'd like to have areas with nodes on top or underneath other nodes. For instance, a bridge going over a battlefield - being able to navigate both the tiles on the bridge and those directly underneath.

Edit: Further to this, I added a second MapNav to represent the area under the bridge and connected it to the first. It works fine, except that if I have 'Adjust to Collider' or 'Adjust to Normal' switched on, the character will automatically go to the highest node if there are two nodes on top of each other, regardless of which node I clicked on.

Switching these off makes the character move to the correct node, but then I lose the funky alignment stuff.

Thanks!

Last edited: Jun 19, 2013
  45. Leslie-Young

Leslie-Young

I have no plan to add the link cost feature in the near future. You could try and add it by hacking at MapNav.GetPath or writing a new path finding algo which takes into account the direction of the movement. MapNav.LinkNodes is where nodes are linked up and node's neighbours will always be linked in a specific order. For example, in the 4 layout the one to the left would be [0], the one to the right [1], to the top [3], and the one to the bottom [2]. The code that decide to show node markers would also have to change if you using those to indicate how far can be moved.

'Adjust to Collider' or 'Adjust to Normal' did not work cause a ray is cast top-down and the 1st terrain collider was the bridge so the unit jumped to that. It did not actually jump to the node, so it is still linked with the one under the bridge. I do not know how this can be fixed. Perhaps change how high the ray starts in NaviUnit._UpdateUnitNormal(), specificly pos.y += 10f; could be made to pos.y += 1f; orless to see if it still hit the bridge above before the terrain below.

46. tylercasey

tylercasey

I'm having a strange problem. When I create a new map and nav it always creates one tile, node 0. Any help would be appreciated.

47. Leslie-Young

Leslie-Young

Are you getting any error messages in the unity console? If so, post the full error here please.
    Did you fill the values correctly on the create window?
    You need to at least enter a width and length and provide a valid Tile Node prefab.
    You will find sample node prefabs in Assets/Tile Based Map and Nav/Prefabs/tile_nodes

48. TCGMabe

TCGMabe

I just purchased Tile Based Map Nav plus UniRPG Editor ... Is there a demonstration of using both tools together ? I assume they can be ... Also, can the nodes be repositioned to handle non linear movement ... For example in a board game setting where the movement is not a strict square or hex based pattern. For example something like this http://notebookingfairy.com/2012/01/game-board-templates/

49. c-Row

c-Row

Yes, nodes can be repositioned. Their links still persist, so you might need to edit some of them manually, but it works fine in a boardgame environment. For the one in your link, I would create a 17x1 nav map and start moving them around afterwards.

50. Leslie-Young

Leslie-Young

Like c-Row said, it is just lot of manual work since the tool knows only how to do square and hex layouts. You can also delete nodes that are not used.

The two tools do not have anything that makes them work together. Tile Ed is for drawing only and the only reason for it to know about the tiles (via prefabdb) is so that the auto-layout systems can work correctly. Further than that it does not know what the purpose of those tiles are.