Search Unity

Tile Based Engine - Any complete Asset Store packages or Tutorials?

Discussion in '2D' started by CarterG81, Jan 13, 2014.

1. CarterG81

CarterG81

There is an enormous amount of things in the asset store, so it is much easier if I just ask here.

I am creating a 2D game that is tile based. This includes everything from tile based movement, to dynamic tile creation (PLAYERS creating the tiles, and then having their characters walk on those tiles).

I've created 2D tile engines in C++ and C# many, many times. However, Unity is a bit of a culture shock. I am used to just creating classes which end up being the engine itself. Now, I am left to focus on...tiles, grids, gameobjects, quads?

I was wondering if there is any 'complete package' in the Asset Store that allows me to just open up and begin prototyping.

1) Tile based Engine, Grid. Where the mouse can hover over or click on an individual tile, and it will know which tile is clicked.

2a) Tile Based movement. If a player presses left, the character moves left 1 tile, until the movement is completed.
    2b) Tile Pathfinding (2D). Once the character in Tile[1,1] knows it needs to get to Tile [5,5] then pathfinding tells it how to get there.

3) Tile Logic. Each tile knows what kind of tile is adjacent to it.

I am NOT interested in something that will help me build tile levels or a part of the editor. This is purely for game logic and how the game is designed. In detail, it is similar to a 4-directional nintendo rpg like Dragon Warrior or Final Fantasy.

I usually just code this with classes that include a simple 2D Array for the tilemap, a class to handle detecting where the mouse is and translating screen coordinates to tile coordinates, and a TileWalker class which tells each adjacent tile.

Since I am new to Unity, I do not know exactly how to go about this. Obviously, I do not have to hard code everything anymore. Even better, while sifting through the Asset Store- I understand there might be a solution for this type of work already? That, and Unity's documentation is pretty thorough.

Unfortunately, it's so thorough, and so much stuff is in the Asset Store, it is very difficult to find what you're actually looking through because of all the chaff.

2. Kurius

Kurius

3. Eric5h5

Eric5h5

Volunteer Moderator Moderator

You might be interested in SpriteTile. It does what you want right now, except for the pathfinding. However, 1) you can implement that yourself using the current API, and 2) it will have built-in pathfinding at some point, possibly the next version. (Actually the clicking-on-tiles thing isn't in version 1.1, but it is in 1.2, which isn't out yet. You can see the function here and plug it into the source code now though.)

The tile-to-tile movement is currently part of a demo script (the CharacterControl script for the procedural demo). There are many ways to accomplish that, which can vary depending on exactly what you want in your game, so it will probably not be part of the Tile class per se.

--Eric

4. CarterG81

CarterG81

Thank you Eric!

I have purchased SpriteTile, and noted the reviews of the documentation is excellent. I look forward to using it, as out of every package I viewed on the asset store- it certainly looks to be the best.

If I like it, I will definitely end up posting a positive review later if that is allowed on the forums. I want people who find this thread to know if SpriteTile was the solution to the OP or not.