Search Unity

Tiki Magic MiniGolf Update

Discussion in 'Made With Unity' started by cgoran, May 2, 2006.

1. cgoran

cgoran

2. Lallander

Lallander

Yay, downloading now.

Edit: Ok very sweet. Two things, Is it just the one hole so far? Once I finished that hole it stopped at the score screen and just well stayed there. And as stated earlier (I think) on the opening menu it would be a lot nicer to have some sort of effect when the users mouse is over the button.and maybe even on click.

Other then that OUTSTANDING look. I can't wait to see the full game.

Oh one last thing, the ball seemes a bit odd let me describe. It tried to give me back controls then started rolling again at one point. Maybe it should wait just a tad longer, or it should force the ball to stop. Not sure.

3. pete

pete

art direction is top notch! very nice! controls work pretty well. i didn't have the issue lallander ran into. aim moves a little fast but is controllable. might consider having the power bar reset for each stroke (it stays at the last used). no biggie. the game's maybe a tad too easy. if you had to time the power bar (on release rather than hit a different key to shoot) gameplay would be more challenging. i had one collision issue but also not a biggie. the ball came to rest next to a post. think the colliders must have been touching. when i hit the next shot the ball went 90 degrees from where i was aiming. i assume it was correct behaviour but visually it looked like i could make it. don't think i could reproduce it very easily and it's not exactly a bug. just an odd chance.

733 mhz g4 quicksilver, 1gb ram, 256mb radeon 9800

4. forestjohnson

forestjohnson

I got some lag on my radeon 7500 but that can be expected.

I also think the controls are too touchy. Maybe you could make a mode where the aiming is slowed down by 0.1 or so.

The camera could do with some improvement.

It seems to me that when I hit a tiki post I should get a stroke penalty or something but I don't.

I think the lighted aimer an the ground would be better if it was done with additive projection or a spotlight. that way it would be visible on the walls of the course.

Looking good though!

5. cgoran

cgoran

Thanks for the input. The aimer is a projector, with a cookie, but there is some bugginess with projectors it seems.

6. cherub

cherub

that is great...nice job on the look an sound. need to fade those objects in front of camera though.

yup, got a mac so i could look at these things finally.

~C

7. Venkman

Venkman

This game is looking incredible. And was a right about that bloom effect? When used correctly is adds to the atmosphere of the game.

Awe inspiring work. Great sound, atmosphere, art direction.

Did you bake any lighting/coloring into your model vertices or is all that done in the engine with placed lights?

8. cgoran

cgoran

Thanks dudes!
    The lights are baked on to texure maps.

Thanks for the feedback.

9. cgoran

cgoran

Some pics of a new stormy/ floody level :)
    Been making a ton of progress with play and dynamics.

10. Aras

Aras

Unity Technologies

Looks great! Though if you plan to release it for PC - it looks a bit too dark. You might want to use 2.2 target gamma on your mac display for development...

11. guategeek_legacy

guategeek_legacy

But running 2.2 target gama on your mac will work on making it look good for the PC, but everyone else isn't using 2.2 on the Mac so it won't look the same on the mac corect? So wouldn't you only want to do that if having it look perfect on PC is more important than looking perfect on mac? Is there any way of having the gama changed by a unity made game? So that we could develop on our mac with 2.2 and have it temporarly run 2.2 when the end mac user plays it? Sorry if this is way off topic. Jeff

P.S. Love the look you got started, keep up the great work. Jeff

{edit}
    One thing I had a lot of truble with on that game after you incorperated the keyboard controls was the power meater. I'm used to golf games where I would hold the space bar and the power meeter would move up to full and then back down to 0. So to get the shot you want you have to release the space bar at the corect time. I personaly would prefer that over your power and then shoot sceme. Just my 2 ¢

12. Aras

Aras

Unity Technologies

Sure. But the reality is that there are far more PC users out there than Mac users. That said, we're looking for solutions to the gamma problem.

13. socksy

socksy

The ambience could be modified before separate builds are made.

14. David-Helgason

David-Helgason

Scripting it might work. Depending on the value of Application.platform you could

* either switch between two sets of settings for your lights (more work),
    * or fully automate it by seaching through all lights and changing their strength/color in the same way (less work)

d.

15. guategeek_legacy

guategeek_legacy

There may be way more, but if you look at the stats (games like tribal truble and Marbles Blast/Gold) even though the PC side got far more downloads, the Mac version got way more sales. So more isn't always better, You all ought to know this seeing as your Mac users ;) Jeff

16. greenland

greenland

Non-universal binary makes my macbook sad. :(

17. cgoran

cgoran

18. Sync1B

Sync1B

I love it but I have 2 comments. First off I think the rain could be improved. Instead of having a texture of rain drop try just using a soft circle as the texture and turning on stretch textures. I think the rain would look better that way, might just be me though ;)

Also, once the ball dies it seems to keep its torque. So it will die then keep rolling the direction it was going once it's re-spawned.

Those are my thoughts,

Bill

19. PeterDahl

PeterDahl

For cool state of the art rain check a paper from the upcomming Siggraph 2006, which can be found here :

http://www.cs.brown.edu/~tor/sig2006.html

I only had time to glance through it, but it seems interesting....

- Peter

20. taumel

taumel

Reminds me a bit of Monkey Island...dahdahdatdahhh... :O)

21. cgoran

cgoran

Thanks for checking it out. Interesting articles...

The rain is a square texture with many drops on it. It helps with performance and helps achieve the "sheets" of rain I was going for. I'm not trying for realism so much as stylization. But it is cool to see what is state of the art.

Haha yeah the ball keeps it's momentum...I keep almost turning that off, but it makes me laugh to see the ball keep dropping into the drink!

Cheers