Search Unity

TIE - A game about depression (Full Day)

Discussion in 'Works In Progress - Archive' started by TonyNowak, Sep 23, 2013.

1. Chemaxmax

Chemaxmax

I like so much. May be you could add the boss room, with a large table and a comfortable chair.

2. Chemaxmax

Chemaxmax

Is this awesome project still alive? I hope so.

NomadKing likes this.
  3. TonyNowak

TonyNowak

Hey guys! Miss us? Finally got a PC (much nicer than the last) situated through the kindness of the Unity dev community and we're here to finish up TIE (cat sprayed my old one and it fried and I lost everything!). Upon starting the project I hadn't looked at in nearly a year I was initially intimidated, especially since I hadn't been doing any game dev of any type, I didn't recognize a whole lot off the top of my head and it was definitely back to seeing what make the project tick, not to mention updated tools and the like, but we are finally ready to announce our game plan!

In a way we are restarting the project, but not from scratch. We are salvaging our art and most of the code, but we found it might be easier to continue development if the game worked start to finish before injecting all of our art assets and interactions. We plan on a functional build that would allow the player to go from the first day of the week too the last, completing the game, then going back, adding our interactions, new writing, and last but not least our art, which will also be receiving a face-lift as well as some minor tweaking to things like animations (and in addition more of them) audio, and lighting.

We are thrilled to be working on this again and we would love to have you follow our progress, there will be much more soon...

For now, I've been writing something that has been needed and more or less left incomplete throughout the course of development and that is the 'day manager'. This manager will keep track of the scenes mashed into a day(s), and will hold variables that change over the course of a day(s) to open up options for more game-play related changes as you progress through the week, and I'm happy to report that it is working just fine. We've also been revamping and editing the audio a tad as well, and fixing (again) many of the bugs that plagued the original project. We can't wait to share our progress with you.

4. NomadKing

NomadKing

Glad to see this project spring back into life! :)

Chemaxmax, TonyNowak and Kellyrayj like this.
  5. Kellyrayj

Kellyrayj

Agreed!

6. Chemaxmax

Chemaxmax

This calls for a glass of wine! :D

7. hippocoder

hippocoder

Digital Ape

It's You're not Your.

Deleted User likes this.
  8. XynDigital

XynDigital

We are working on a game called TIEWARS.. keen to join up somehow one day :)?

9. TonyNowak

TonyNowak

So we've been busy porting scripts to Unity's 2D systems and recreating the animations used in the game as well as creating a few new ones, but I figured I would share a few thing's we've done to polish the games look a bit.

First of all, I've re-created the lighting system I used. Since this is a 2D game, we have no need for actual realtime light sources, so instead I used additive sprite images of lights, soft cones to sharp flares. I've since made these sprites at a higher resolution for a smoother lit look:

The new sprites animate as well, from opacity changes to subtle scale changes as the light shines. You'll also notice that the edges of the screen are blurred out as well, this is another new effect we've added (as per pro screen effects being available). It compliments the scenes nicely and draw's the player's attention to the center of the screen:

New animations have been added too the player controller, including new idle animations (standing too long with the suit on will prompt the TIE man to adjust his tie, standing too long in your undies will prompt him to scratch his side). I'll have new animation's implemented for NPC's as well. That's all I have to share with you for now that's tangible, but we're working hard on pushing out a fully functional build sometime soon here, where you can see all of these effects and more in action. :)

lorenalexm, NomadKing and Chemaxmax like this.
  10. Eths

Eths

hey TonyNowak the link for game download is broken, can you please fix it?
    m

11. Chemaxmax

Chemaxmax

Hope you show them soon :)

12. TonyNowak

TonyNowak

I actually want too but having a difficult time making a GIF! Can you recommend any free tools and sites that can do this from a sprite sheet/screen cap. If I had it my way I'dve made a .gif file to show the lighting animations.

About the broken link, it's no longer hosted (it's older and it's missing these effects), let me rehost for you guys. Everything else is in place.

UPDATE:

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/13822695/TIE Test/TIE Test.html

Here is the old build, I added the screen blur effect to this but other than that nothing has changed from the previous build, hang tight for the new one.

Last edited: Apr 16, 2015
  13. Chemaxmax

Chemaxmax

I recommend you GifCam. It's easy to use.

NomadKing likes this.
  14. TonyNowak

TonyNowak

Those animations I mentioned, using GIFCam, @Chemaxmax thank you!

NomadKing and Chemaxmax like this.
  15. Chemaxmax

Chemaxmax

That animations are so cool :cool: By the way, how do you manage animations? Do you use Unity's animator scprits or do you use your own scripts? Just out of curiosity.

16. TonyNowak

TonyNowak

I used to use my own scripts, but once I got a computer I decided to port to Unity2D. :)

carking1996 likes this.
  17. TonyNowak

TonyNowak

Well, I've dabbled with Unity2D, and I'm not particularly thrilled with it. In my personal opinion it lacks the functionality and ease of use that traditional 2D software has, it just didn't click with me for some reason. Instead, I've gotten my hands on a written solution that is working beautifully so far.

A little gif of the game so far with some animations implemented, the new project is working a lot better than the old one and is also more stable from a performance standpoint. Another decision I've decided to make is to port the games code from JS to C# (which is completely foreign to me) but so far things are going pretty well, I've had a pretty good amount of help making the transition, so a big shout out to the Unity Bar & Grill chat group. :)

More soon.

NomadKing and carking1996 like this.
  18. TonyNowak

TonyNowak

One thing that's been clear to us is that the game lacks the basic functionality of a narrative centered game. You can't zoom the camera, and you can't move the camera around. We want too take a more narrative based approach with the controls, you can now zoom the camera in and out, and we also want to make it so you can scroll left/right with the mouse if it has left an edge of the screen. Middle mouse button snaps the camera settings back to their defaults. Script is basic at the moment but here's a gif:

*don't mind those ugly sun shafts, the caster wasn't assigned for some odd reason.

NomadKing likes this.
  19. TonyNowak

TonyNowak

Interactions have since been completed, so time to give the art some love, here's some test stuff from the new outside level which I'll be taking some time to redesign.​

lorenalexm and NomadKing like this.
  20. TonyNowak

TonyNowak

It's been a minute since I've updated the thread, so here goes! Firstly, I'd like to welcome darithorn on to the team, he's a brilliant programmer who has worked with me in the past on various things, most notably: http://forum.unity3d.com/threads/one.142804/

That being said, our workflow has changed and a lot more love is being put into the game. We've updated most if not all of the scripts (yet again) and they are better than ever. But check it out for yourselves.

NPC's! Darithorn has gotten an npc patrol logic implemented with our sprite animation tools. We can control waypoints, wait times, animations played, etc. through this. Also never mind the weird arm thing going on with the npc, that's been fixed since.

Interactions now have much more context, and work as a set of modular parts with an event handler. Meaning certain interactions or conversations can change things elsewhere, like an npc's response to you, or maybe your perceived view of things.

I've been putting some amount of time into the art, and I am feeling pretty confident about the update too the outside background art.

Think happy thoughts.
    That's all we have for now but more soon!

Tony Nowak, Darithorn

Kellyrayj and NomadKing like this.
  21. TonyNowak

TonyNowak

Bus stop at night. We're gearing up for a trailer and knocking out a ton of new art, the code is basically done!​

NomadKing likes this.
  22. TonyNowak

TonyNowak

One more for the hell of it, level panorama ftw. :)

NomadKing and Kellyrayj like this.
  23. TonyNowak

TonyNowak

Got the level fully animated and ready to go, the lights all have animations, dust can be seen under the lightpost, added some stars and a moon.​

NomadKing likes this.
  24. TonyNowak

TonyNowak

Cough cough.

Have neglected the thread a bit, been tied down with work and life stuff, but things are still happening. We completed a full playable day, this is huge and things should go a lot smoother from here. Follow my TIG thread for more detailed posts and updates, I tend to post there more often. ;) http://forums.tigsource.com/index.php?topic=36108.100

25. TonyNowak

TonyNowak

Working on snow-less/rainy versions of maps. Setting up days with new art, last of anything artwise for a bit, but trailer soon.

NomadKing likes this.
  26. TonyNowak

TonyNowak

Should've set it up from day one but here it is. Added a pause menu, you can change music volume, sound volume, enable/disable the post fx for better performance, and for cosmetics, enable/disable cursor trail, and still working on a button mapping functionality. Speaking of the cursor and overall UI I've made some art changes, the cursor is actually a pointer now and interactions feel much more precise. I've been busy optimizing where I can and going through the project with a fine-tooth comb.

I also rewrote the room transition script to support much smoother room transitions, and as many lights/particles as I want. Jeremy is busy with the sound end of the trailer and we cannot wait to show you the game. Some input from the community however, would you guys like to see controller support for TIE, and would it matter to you if it wasn't present?

NomadKing likes this.
  27. NomadKing

NomadKing

I wouldn't say that controller support is a must for a game like this, although making sure it's touch screen friendly might be something worth considering while your still in development :)

28. Schneider21

Schneider21

I don't know much of anything about this project, but from just peeking at this thread I know I'll be buying it.

On the controller issue, I think it's one of those things that doesn't hurt to include, and if you're going to do it, better to get that sorted out now than tacking it on later.

29. landon912

landon912

Any news on this?

30. RavenOfCode

RavenOfCode

The art style and lighting looks quite nice, so does the gameplay! :)

31. GhulamJewel

GhulamJewel

Some of the most beautiful pixel art I have seen!

32. TonyNowak

TonyNowak

Well hi there guys! Long time no talk (again). Real life has been getting in the way as of late, but, TIE is still in development, albeit, slowly, but surely. We're on our last round of polish, and I've isolated all of the issues/quirks/bugs into a surprisingly small (page long) list, and we're squashing them one at a time. I'm actually quite surprised too see there be more posts here after this recent absence, always a good motivator, look forward too more soon, but in the meantime, I'll leave this here:

https://gfycat.com/TallSeveralItaliangreyhound

Something isn't right in your fractured reality.

33. TonyNowak

TonyNowak

I'm back, and I'll have a ton too show you tomorrow when it isn't so late, gifs and all!

34. TonyNowak

TonyNowak

Hey guys! Oh boy I'm bad at this. But on a serious note, we aren't dead, and we've been tied down with some other stuff as of late. TIE is finally headed to 100% completion (we've said this before but this time for real).

https://twitter.com/TonyNowak44/status/909935702883786752
    https://twitter.com/TonyNowak44/status/909162859053039616
    https://twitter.com/TonyNowak44/status/908441422591811584
    https://twitter.com/TonyNowak44/status/907870279061225472

This is what we've been working on, an open world survival roguelike. It's going very well but we need to finish TIE before moving on, as it is the project closest to completion at the moment.

I've also completed my first game, you can find it here on itch.io: https://tonynowak.itch.io/pigeonmow

We will post back soon, busy working on a reveal trailer so bear with us. You will all get to play TIE very soon.

35. selinacantrell08

selinacantrell08

This game is good I may see my self here, I've been in a severe depression 5 years ago, and the only thing that helps me is MMJ. At first, I was doubtful so I started doing my own research and read articles about marijuana. I found out that each marijuana strain has different uses for different diseases. Like this strain https://www.gyo.green/free-marijuana-seeds This one is very effective when it comes to stress and anxiety.