Search Unity

Ticket organisation

Discussion in 'Open Projects' started by Zantis, Oct 15, 2020.

1. Zantis

Zantis

Hello guys,

I think we are already running into some serious organisational caveats, so i want to address this.

Recently i thought about joining the works on the audio system. There is already an open PR with a basic implementation of an AudioManager.

There are a lot of voices, but no way to handle more than one of them doing something. We have one PR for that audio manager, which is still not resolved and there are multiple people who want to contribute to it even further. I do not see how they can contribute to one feature together.

Usually you would use a ticketing system like JIRA for this. I guess our organisation looks a bit different though, but we need to address the caveats of missing JIRA.

Either there is just one person per ticket/Codeck card/forum thread actually working/coding on it, or we should define some ways to collaborate on them.

Is there any way we can use a real ticketing system? Do you (the Unity people leading this project) have any experience doing projects the way it is at the moment (with just forums to collaborate)?

2. MachairaJP

MachairaJP

I ran into this issue a couple of weeks ago. I volunteered to take on a task, someone chimed in they wanted to help and then just went ahead and did it without even consulting me.

I hate to say it, this project is a mess as far as organization is concerned. Too many cooks in the kitchen (pun intended :) )

3. cirocontinisio

cirocontinisio

The friction you are experiencing is normal: this is more than an open-source project, it's an open-source project from the beginning. Normally on an OS project you'd have small contributions, small PRs, so each user would "own" the feature they are adding. Because it's a small contribution or it's an addition, and nobody else would want to touch it.

Here we can't do this: what if the person assigned to a very important task turns out not to have time for it? We wait for 2 weeks, and then we are just 2 weeks late.

So the way forward for now is: make small PRs, we accept one, and then others can add to that functionality with another PR, etc.
    In time there will be less friction because we will have a bigger codebase and the additions will be smaller and more like tweaks rather than entire systems.

4. MachairaJP

MachairaJP

So how do we handle were situations where a half-dozen (or more) people are all doing the same thing? Is that something Unity personnel do by looking at all the code submissions? That seems incredibly inefficient, even for an open-source project. Am I expecting too much organization?

5. shuttle127

shuttle127

Suggestion: check out this collaboration thread and try to match up with people that way.

If we started using it the way the OP there intends, it might cut down on confusion a little bit. What I imagine would come of that thread is that once 2 or more people realize that they want to work on the same system, then they DM each other to try to organize a new thread post and get Unity people to accept it as the official thread for that particular topic/card. Then you can just collaborate in there or even get on the Discord and chat.

6. cirocontinisio

cirocontinisio

Unfortunately, yes. What would be the other way?