Search Unity

Threshold settings for bloom in HDRP volume profiles?

Discussion in 'Image Effects' started by Spoonfishlee, Apr 21, 2019.

1. Spoonfishlee

Spoonfishlee

Hi! I'm trying to set up some PP effects with the new volume profile system for HDRP, but I feel like some of the effects have part of their settings elsewhere. For example, the bloom has no threshold setting, so it blurs the whole image regardless of value.

upload_2019-4-21_14-55-20.png

Is there a key part with the volume system that I'm missing? I have the main volume scene settings, and then override some things for each camera. I'm using it pretty much like the PPv2 system.

2. hippocoder

hippocoder

Digital Ape

Reset it to defaults, should be fine as-is. with <0.2 intensity and <0.7 scatter. If its blurry all over it's because your light isn't pumping enough energy in / bad pbr elsewhere.

(it won't be blurry at 0.2 intensity / 0.6 scatter if your regular non-bloom settings are correct).

TLDR: open a new HDRP template project and poke around.

3. Spoonfishlee

Spoonfishlee

Thanks, I checked out a template! I was actually missing tonemapping in the main settings, and it gives me a good base to work off of now. The settings you suggested are indeed sufficient.

Do you know how I should approach controlling the DOF in the volume settings? I would guess it's connected to the aperture of the camera if the DOF is set to "use physical camera", but the aperture doesn't seem to influence it.

I can't find documentation on this version of post processing, or I may be looking in the wrong place. Is it available?

4. Spoonfishlee

Spoonfishlee

Wait, aperture DOES have an effect, but only on the far blur. The near blur goes on for as deep as I've set it, and then is sharply cut off.

upload_2019-4-21_15-44-33.png

I can't seem to affect this with the sample settings or physical camera settings.

5. iSinner

iSinner

I can't achieve a halo like effect with HDRP bloom, while i can with PostProcessingStack v2. There(in PPSv2) i just set the threshold to, lets say 2, and any emissive mesh with HDR value bigger than 2 starts to give a halo effect around it. How to achieve this in HDRP with its version of bloom?

To be more precise, i made a dissolve shader with emission

the blue part is the emission with an intensity value of 8, i want it to be picked up by bloom and produce a halo like effect around that lighting, bit it doesn't seem to be noticeable. It also doesn't light up the scene at all, even though realtime GI and autobaking is enabled.

PS i started a template version of HDRP project and went from there.

EDIT:

Figured it out, apparently the lighting from the sky was bright enough to not make the emission stand out. This is what it looks like when i disable "Static Lighting Sky component" (which makes the lighting from the skybox work i suppose)

TLDR if anyone encounters a problem where it seems that halo should be present around the an emissive area but it isn't, try bumping up the emission value even higher, the HDR color picker slider limits you to 10 but you can manually enter more than that, so put a big number in there and watch it glow.

Last edited: Jul 12, 2019
    PutridEx likes this.