Search Unity

Thread locked without any explanation

Discussion in 'Meta-forum Discussion' started by starikcetin, Sep 17, 2018.

1. starikcetin

starikcetin

Arowx likes this.
  2. georgeq

georgeq

I don't think locking a thread without explanation is the best way to proceed for what ever the reason for this lock is. If I broke any rules by posting this thread I would like to know what I did wrong so I won't make the same mistake in the future. You cannot expect to improve people's behavior by punish them without explaining them the reason why they are being punished, anyone with experience as a parent or as a boss will agree. I believe the majority of the people in this forum including myself, post threads in good will, because they believe their ideas are good and want to share them.If they are indeed good they will eventually be adopted, if they are bad they will be discarded, but you cannot tell which ideas are good or bad without an open discussion. If the idea I posted was bad, impractical or what ever then it will be forgotten with time, there's no need to kill it before time since it will just naturally die.

starikcetin and Arowx like this.
  3. Arowx

Arowx

I can agree with this is this has happened to me in other threads if the community is actively discussing a topic why lock it down especially without giving a clear reason for the lock, ideally by the moderator who actually locks the thread.

4. hippocoder

hippocoder

Digital Ape

Locked because it's not relevant to the existing ECS implementation. Unity aren't adding F# support. Beta is about discussing what Unity is providing, additions, use-cases. Not new features. It's not a new feature request forum.

Staff will consider adding a feature if it's part of what is being shown in beta, or an evolution. F# is a brand new direction and feature request.

In beta forums, moderation is much more strict because signal/noise ratio important. We allowed the discussion to continue in general discussion. Arowx had two very similar threads discussing the same thing and cross posting is also frowned upon but wasn't the reason for lock.

I have updated the thread to leave a reason.

General discussion thread here: https://forum.unity.com/threads/as-...dopt-the-f-and-visual-basic-languages.556273/

5. georgeq

georgeq

Understood. Don't happen to me often, but in the past, when I mistakenly posted on the wrong forum, the thread was moved to the proper forum with a clear explanation of the mistake I made.

6. hippocoder

hippocoder

Digital Ape

Yeah, it's not about you though, and it's not your thread. Technically, you started the thread but what happens to a thread is the sum of whoever else posts in it / complains.

We deleted a few posts in there from people whining about the fact arowx already had a thread on it, but that itself was not an actual reason to delete it, only that it was a feature request and not an evolution of what we are all asked to test and give feedback on.

We want you post anyway, right or wrong you should post. Just be aware that outside of general discussion, moderation is medium, and inside beta forums, moderation is high - it's not personal, just aimed at increasing value where it is needed.

In general discussion, there is not much value :)

7. georgeq

georgeq

I understand that, but if you leave the thread in the current forum it will continue to generate unwanted noise, so, not moving it to another forum defeats the purpose of locking it IMHO.

8. hippocoder

hippocoder

Digital Ape

Don't see a reason to move the thread. It served the purpose for you to bring F# onto Unity's radar and serves the purpose of people understanding why it was locked.

There is an existing similar thread on general discussion.

9. Arowx

Arowx

Thanks for adding that, however F# was only one aspect of the issue and a good example of a language with ECS style features in it's Agent model that seems massivly more streamlined and easy to use then the current ECS style. Part of that simplicity is F#s functional nature and none legacy C/C++/C# grammer.

Also if you consider Unity adoption of Roslyn and new features of the C# language there is the possibility of Unity adapting the C# language it uses to be more ECS friendly and easier to use.

Sad to see that you thought this view of the topic was a feature request instead of a different point of view which could have led to a more open consideration of how ECS is implemented in Unity.

Another aspect that could have been explored is the LINQ functional programming aspect of C# that could possibly be adopted to ECS and make for flexible and easier to use ECS programming...

Just when I thought Unity was more open to the community and working with it to improve their engine...

10. starikcetin

starikcetin

In that case, I am satisfied. I suggest you add a link in the locked thread, to the thread you are referring to, for future reference.

Last edited: Sep 17, 2018
  11. Ryiah

Ryiah

Suggestions that may lead to improvements are great but there is a difference between suggestions and wild ideas that are the complete opposite of the path the company has shown themselves to be taking if they are valid at all. For the most part the threads you create are the latter which is why they're often closed.

12. Arowx

Arowx

I have no control over what Unity do or do not adopt however to block or lock alternative points of view reduces the discussion to Unity Centric Thoughts Only!

13. georgeq

georgeq

I don't know which guidelines/rules you must to follow, but I think if the only purpose of locking the thread was to avoid unwanted noise, that's enough good reason to: 1) move it to another forum and 2) unlock it. Otherwise 1) people will still go inside and read it which IMHO is still a source of noise, and 2) it becomes a source of frustration by preventing people from stating their opinion. Forgive my ignorance, but I don't see why there shouldn't be two similar threads on the same forum.

14. florianalexandru05

florianalexandru05

15. JoNax97

JoNax97

He could use the necro to report others, but not himself. Ironic.

Joke aside, I believe you can report your own post asking for a lock.

16. florianalexandru05

florianalexandru05

Lol that's sounding funny as long as it works! Thanks for the suggestion.