Search Unity

1. Good news ✨ We have more Unite Now videos available for you to watch on-demand! Come check them out and ask our experts any questions!
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Ever participated in one our Game Jams? Want pointers on your project? Our Evangelists will be available on Friday to give feedback. Come share your games with us!
    Dismiss Notice

Games Thrash Racer - A Banger Racing / Life Sim in 80´s UK

Discussion in 'Works In Progress' started by Artoodiitoo, Apr 12, 2020.

1. Artoodiitoo

Artoodiitoo

Hello, I´ve been working on this project for some time now, this is my first public showing of it.
    Here´s a video with the AI driving and racing "cleanly" :D (their aggressivity against other cars is turned down, they are not crashing on purpose here so far :)

I´m working on a site with more details of the features of the game, but here´s something;

Test Drive Eve Of Destruction/Driven To Destruction meets My Summer Car in this banger racing/destruction derby/life simulator/car building and thrashing game set up in 80´s UK.

THRASH RACER

This is my racing game project that I´m working on. You can buy used cars from a scrapyard and repair them to work enough for banger racing.
    Then travel to the race track and hope it makes it through the race weekend, and either scrap what´s left or use it as parts donor for your next race car.
    You can also do side jobs to earn extra money, like work a car crusher at the scrapyard.
    Compete in championship for different types of vehicles, and extra side events during the race weekends.
    Everything on the cars is destructible, frames bend, every part can fall off down to just a driver seat (which can also fall off), liquids leak and soak the road, mechanical parts wear and give up.
    You are always in control of your character, can walk around, work on your car and under it, and climb aboard behind the steering wheel, operate buttons and seatbelts in 1st person (+ some extra outside camera modes when driving). If you happen to break or roll your car during a race, you can crawl out and run behind the safety fence.
    Also, try to avoid getting hit doing that because you are also destructible, and can end up hospitalized or dead.

Driving model is aimed at realism, with support for FFB racing wheels and H-shifters, but it´s also fully playable with a keyboard with some driving helpers.
    This is an early prototype, I´ve been mostly working on the AI system and the racing itself so far, it´s missing things like any graphics at all and proper sounds.

You can follow the progress of this game on Twitter too now;
    https://twitter.com/ThrashRacerGame

Last edited: May 24, 2020
  2. Artoodiitoo

Artoodiitoo

Update, made the AI more aggressive. If it "sees" anyone trying to overtake, it will attemp to ram them to the wall :D
    It´s hard to get a proper balance between mayhem and still being able to race, but it is getting there!

3. Artoodiitoo

Artoodiitoo

Many new updates!
    I´ll list some here;
    -Improved perfomance
    -Physics overhaul to fix bugs with wheels and tire pressures
    -Damper, spring and tire damage
    -Accumulating metal fatigue to frame from smaller impacts
    -Fixed steering, no more wobbling front wheels
    -Solid axle and crude progressive leaf spring simulation
    -Many updates for the AI
    -Slightly new name

Most of these cannot be really seen here, but also a new video! Pls ignore the current "movie" tires that screech on dirt!

Oh and if you have one of these thingies, you can follow me on Twitter too now;
    https://twitter.com/ThrashRacerGame

Last edited: May 23, 2020
  4. munchou

munchou

Hooo I love games in which one can destroy the cars. It reminds me of the first FlatOut (then they lost their way and turned to the dark side of the Force, like many) and some races in DirT.
    I'm impressed with what you've done so far! When I see that big studios can't do what many gamers were expecting, I bet that it must be extremely hard to achieve for just one person.
    I hope it won't only be arenas, tracks through forests etc. are very fun.

When did you start that project?
    I look forward to more, that's an exciting prototype!

5. Artoodiitoo

Artoodiitoo

crush.jpg Thanks!
    I started working on the base of this many years ago, originally this was a damage system for another project, but I decided to make a full game out of it. I´d say the hardest part is done already, but don´t want to jinx it. :p

The most difficult part was making this damage and car physics system that I haven´t seen anybody doing, and while building it I realised why no sane person would try this, but it works now. :>
    The cars´ frames are made of several parts that are connected with joints, kind of a semi-softbody system,
    this allows some give and flex in impacts, to have more realistic collisions, with both the enviroment and other cars, than most games (outside games utilizing real softbody physics, like BeamNG and Insane), but also allows to have bending frames from hard crashes.
    In many games, collisions between cars just feel like two square boxes hitting each other.

I have a friend who´s using the same car physics package as a base (UnityCar), we both help each other figuring things, so it´s not as bad.

I´m planning several types of events, it´s not all ovals or figure 8s don´t worry :)

Also check out Wreckfest, it´s from the authors of the original FlatOut games.
    They don´t have this good crashes tho of course ;)

Last edited: Jun 1, 2020 at 3:58 PM
unityunity