Search Unity

1. Unity Asset Manager is now available in public beta. Try it out now and join the conversation here in the forums.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

Thousands of errors "srcIB"

Discussion in '5.4 Beta' started by Firlefanz73, Apr 2, 2016.

1. Firlefanz73

Firlefanz73

Hello,

when I run my gaming Scene, I get a "srcIB" error in the console each frame I guess.
    After a few seconds is thousands. I didn't find it in the Forums and have no idea what this error should tell me.

Then game runs fine. By the way if These are too much above 100.000 or something, and I un-collpapse them in the Console, Unity completly crashes.

Any idea how I can get rid of that error? What does it mean?

Thanks!
    Firlefanz

2. Alex-Lian

Alex-Lian

Looking at the code, we have a rather unhelpful assert firing that off in the batch rendering. I'll let the gfx team know.

3. Firlefanz73

Firlefanz73

4. jamesflowerdew

jamesflowerdew

bump bump, same problem here, any idea when this'll be fixed?

5. Lando9000

Lando9000

same issue, any fixes available?

6. Aras

Aras

Unity Technologies

Looking at the code, this seems to be caused by dynamic batching, when it hits a mesh without an index buffer. I'm not quite sure how that would happen, so a repro project in a bug report would be useful. I'll improve the error message now, but knowing how that happens would be better.

7. drsalvation

drsalvation

If it's any help, I used SimpleLOD from the asset store, but I have 5 levels of detail, in which the last one is compressed to the maximum. I noticed that this error appears when some of these LODs are active (using Unity's LOD group)... mainly the ones that are mostly decimated (LOD 4-5 ish). Seeing some other posts, I think it has something to do with materials and meshes... but I can't say for sure what exactly is it.

8. Aras

Aras

Unity Technologies

A bug report with a project that reproduces it would be awesome...

9. Firlefanz73

Firlefanz73

Hello,

since the 19 Alpha I not get:

Dynamic batching: index buffer source is NULL (first IB byte 0 count 0 first vertex 0 offset 0) -> 34000 times

Dynamic batching: index buffer source is NULL (first IB byte 0 count 0 first vertex 0 offset 292) -> 2000 times

Dynamic batching: index buffer source is NULL (first IB byte 0 count 0 first vertex 0 offset 176) -> 2700 times

and so on. No Crash. Just increasing those in my console. And the particle error with not random movement but all in the same direction also still exists.

Have a nice Weekend!

10. Aras

Aras

Unity Technologies

Right, so I have changed the error message to contain more information. But I have still no idea how that could happen, and no bug reports with repro cases. If you have one -- please file a bug with the repro!

11. Firlefanz73

Firlefanz73

I didn't get a Crash. Only thousands of error Messages spamming my log...

My Project is huge, around 2 gb. Can I help somehow?

12. Claytonious

Claytonious

File a bug report with your project attached. 2gb is not that bad. Just do it. He has asked 3 times already.

13. Aras

Aras

Unity Technologies

200gb is huge. 2gb is not ideal, but manageable :)

14. Firlefanz73

Firlefanz73

I am just trying to pack it in this Moment. We will see if this works out with my Internet Connection.

15. Firlefanz73

Firlefanz73

It took 5 hours to upload, now it is done :)

16. TooManySugar

TooManySugar

Hi.

Just did a test upgrading my project from 4.7.2 to 5.4.0 f1

I get
    Dynamic batching: index buffer source is NULL (first IB byte 0 count 0 first vertex 0 offset 0), zillions of times.

The second number uses to change
    Dynamic batching: index buffer source is NULL (first IB byte 0 count 0 first vertex 0 offset 274)
    Dynamic batching: index buffer source is NULL (first IB byte 0 count 0 first vertex 0 offset 568)
    Dynamic batching: index buffer source is NULL (first IB byte 0 count 0 first vertex 0 offset 1154)

sometimes appears twice

Dissabling dynamic batching in player settings removes exception. of course. :)

17. Virtence

Virtence

Hello,

we encountered the same issue with our asset VText. VText generates dynmaic 3D text at runtime. The error leads to no crah but our customers want to know what happens? Do you have any ideas how we can avoid this error?
    Thanks
    crydde

shou99 likes this.
  18. Peter77

Peter77

QA Jesus

If you have a (simple) test case that Unity can use to reproduce this error, I recommend to submit a bug-report and attach the project. This allows Unity to reproduce the error and test their fix against.

Once you received the bug-report confirmation email, make sure to post its case number here, so Unity can pickup your report even faster.

19. kjgoebel

kjgoebel

I'm having the same problem. I discovered that the srcIB errors disappear if I change
    Code (CSharp):
    2.         GetComponent<MeshFilter>().mesh = mesh;
    3.         mesh.Optimize();
    to
    Code (CSharp):
    1.         mesh.Optimize();
    2.         GetComponent<MeshFilter>().mesh = mesh;
    Perhaps in the first case Optimize puts all the triangles in the same submesh (but erroneously leaves the second submesh there and empty), but in the second case Optimize knows that there are different materials waiting for the different submeshes, so it refrains from mashing them together? Does Optimize even do that kind of thing?
    Something fishy is still going on in any case, because regardless of when (or if) I call Optimize, the subsequent line
    Code (CSharp):
    1. GetComponent<MeshCollider>().sharedMesh = mesh;
    still generates an error 'Failed getting triangles. Submesh 1 has no indices. Mesh asset path "" Mesh Name "". UnityEngine.MeshCollider:set_sharedMesh(Mesh)'.
    I haven't been able to duplicate this in a simple project, but hopefully this helps someone.

20. Aras

Aras

Unity Technologies

So, has any of you submitted a bug report with a repro project? If so, tell me the case numbers.

21. TooManySugar

TooManySugar

No, my project weights like a whale and I've the S***iest DSL up line in the world. If no one does, after I release my game (2 days for launch + some following days) I would try to duplicate the project rip all the stuff and send but It did not feel very project specific to me. I wonder if the other case reporting issue did update from 4.x platform because it felt like it could be related to using non 5.x shaders as the scene failing is one from the asset store:

https://www.assetstore.unity3d.com/en/#!/content/34268

Last edited: Jul 28, 2016
  22. kjgoebel

kjgoebel

I have submitted a bug report with a project. The case number is 818189.

I was able to fix the problem by making sure I wasn't generating submeshes with zero triangles. That is, never calling mesh.SetTriangles(vertIndices, matIndex) with an empty array. (I thought I was sure before, but I was wrong.) I still haven't been able to make it happen in a simple project, which means there's something deeper going on. My project is generating hundreds of meshes per second from coroutines, so it could be a threading issue maybe? Anyway, I suggest making extra sure all your submeshes have triangles.

Hope this helps.