Search Unity

1. Unity 2019.2 is now released.
    Dismiss Notice

Thoughts on pricing

Discussion in 'Unity Collaborate' started by hippocoder, Aug 6, 2016.

1. hippocoder

hippocoder

Digital Ape Moderator

I actually think that collaborate should be a break-even service in cost, that is, isn't directly profitable for Unity.

Why?

• It's a gateway to other services like cloud build and friends.
    • It's also a service that locks you into the Unity ecosystem.
    • It ties in with up coming certified unity developers.
    • It encourages further Unity-centric use from freelancers and more.
    There are many other reasons. Also perforce is essentially free. So while it should have a cost, it should not be viewed as a direct monetization platform.

Just my feedback. Sometimes, it's better to sell cigarettes at virtually no profit if you will make money on lighters and other products. By having developers use Collaborate instead of free and cheap alternatives, you gain more overall. And trying to get bigger shops to use this may be a task indeed.

2. AcidArrow

AcidArrow

(is there anything official on pricing currently?)

I also think it can be a major attraction to Unity's ecosystem. Most small teams I know use things like Dropbox which has a number of issues when working with Unity/other engines, but hey, it's free/cheap and easy to use. But if there's an affordable, fuss free alternative that works great with Unity, I can see people switching to it.

(and that's where I presume Unity is aiming the service at, since features and ease of use-wise it seems to be mirroring a service like dropbox rather than a full blown versioning system and I don't see big teams, who are using fully featured versioning systems and have established proper workflows, switching to it.)

Last edited: Aug 6, 2016
    AlanMattano and hippocoder like this.
  3. hippocoder

hippocoder

Digital Ape Moderator

Sounds like it will revolutionise things if mainstream. I can see a lot of users choosing Unity if it's known to have built in foolproof collaboration.

My concern is it will frighten the pantaloons off them like with UNet if price is confusing or high.

4. Wriggler

Wriggler

Sorry, I disagree. I think we should pay for things if they are good. If the Unity team do a good job with Collaborate then they should be rewarded for their efforts. Why should the Unity team work for free? Also, for something that is mission critical, like source control, I'd rather pay more and have 100% confidence in it, rather than pay little and have some level of doubt.

Ben

5. AcidArrow

AcidArrow

I thought the confidence you have in something has to do with how reliable it is, not with how much it costs.

6. AlanMattano

AlanMattano

Just a thought on pricing: Some times changing traditions is hard but is posible. Is posible to put push a tradition of paying donation to the tool, software or ecosystem developers as a tip. I suggests paying a 5% 10% or 15% in tip donation (in relation to what we do), in the same way we do for other fiscal services .

7. AlanMattano

AlanMattano

Yes is very Unity specific but was missing so it works.
    Probably when the beta is over, they will charge for each request. But I insist. I think a donation system can work.