Search Unity

Discussion Thoughts on Noesis GUI

Discussion in 'UI Toolkit' started by stonstad, Aug 26, 2022.

1. stonstad

stonstad

I'm curious to know if the team has seen NoesisGUI and if you have any thoughts around it? I have been using it successfully for several years across multiple Unity titles.

https://www.noesisengine.com/

Last edited: Aug 26, 2022
  2. achimmihca

achimmihca

Wow, this looks like what UIToolkit is trying to achieve! I am impressed. Would give it a try before I start a new project.
    Thanks for the hint!

3. etienne_unity

etienne_unity

Unity Technologies

We're not recommending it officially (see our list of Verified Solution Partners), but we (the UI team) looked at it, and NoesisGUI is a great piece of software for runtime UI, used successfully by some of our customers.

If you are familiar with XAML, and don't mind to author your screens with Microsoft Blend (or other XAML authoring tools), it might be a good fit for your projects.

NoesisGUI is closer to WPF, while UI Toolkit is closer to Web technologies, especially when it comes to styling (USS is a subset of CSS). UI Toolkit, being developed at Unity, plays well with the other built-in solutions like IMGUI in the Editor, and UGUI at Runtime. Another difference is that you can use UI Toolkit to extend the Unity Editor (custom windows, custom inspectors, etc.).

stonstad and LeonhardP like this.
  4. achimmihca

achimmihca

> while UI Toolkit is closer to Web technologies

I think you did well on this decision.

> Another difference is that you can use UI Toolkit to extend the Unity Editor

Good point.

5. liambilly

liambilly

does it have a higher perfomance cost than the unity ui?

6. stonstad

stonstad

The only way to know for sure is to benchmark both UI systems with comparable scenes. Having worked with Noesis for several years in commercial products, I can say that the performance consistently impresses me. Baulder's Gate III uses Noesis for their UI: https://th.bing.com/th/id/OIP.LzDkSNSNFcM5m7U3M0olowHaDG?pid=ImgDet&rs=1

7. stonstad

stonstad

Not really. Noesis is beyond amazing! Larian, Riot, Ninja Theory are using it, too.