Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

Thoughts on Level 11

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by mdrotar, Jul 12, 2015.

1. goat

goat

Uh, financed by asset store buyers, venture capitalists, and big fat corporate support contracts. The income stream you imagine from indie pro users isn't enough to finance Unity Free or Unity.

2. Ostwind

Ostwind

Only for the users that are not on the dark side... I don't care about it at all. It's a common joke in other forums already that people pay hundreds for dark theme :)

3. Saxi

Saxi

Seriously justifying $4,500 a year with a dark skin you can make yourself?

4. Ryiah

Ryiah

Unity does not require paying $4,500 to access the dark skin.

Nor does it require paying yearly. We barely see a major release every two years and even then you only have to pay an upgrade fee if you've previously purchased Unity.

You cannot use the dark skin in Unity Free unless you're somehow modifying the client.

5. Saxi

Saxi

You can make your own GUI Skin

6. Ryiah

Ryiah

If you're going to make claims that anyone can use the dark skin in Unity Free, then we're going to need proof.

7. goat

goat

I've seen the type on dark skin and it is truly less legible then the light but oh well must match the rest of your Windows / Mac themes.

8. Ryiah

Ryiah

My point was that some people see it as a benefit. I've read at least one or two posts by individuals who've stated they purchased Unity Pro solely for the dark skin. Yes, past tense meaning they actually did buy it. Crazy as that may be.

9. goat

goat

I avoid Unity Dark because it looks much worse. Tried it with a 30 day trial once. It makes me think warez sites and such anymore.

10. LaneFox

LaneFox

Level 11 is OP.

/ragequit

11. zenGarden

zenGarden

This won't make your game better i think.

12. jerotas

jerotas

I don't use it anymore either. Less color options for custom inspectors because every color is added to "dark gray".

13. BIG-BUG

BIG-BUG

Why is every Level 11 thread derailed to a discussion about Unity Pro value?
    Level 11 is not just a bonus, it is a part of Pro as listed on the licence feature page with a "value" of $20 per month according to several announcements.

So I expect a service for which a noteworthy number of users would pay $20 each month. I don't think this applies to the offer right now.
    If people cared, there would be far more "I want access to Level 11 without Pro" threads

movra likes this.
  14. Saxi

Saxi

Actually I don't. It is possible to make your own version of the Dark Skin, and then load it as the default GUI.Skin
    I think because Pro users feel ripped off. For $4,500 all you get is custom splash screens and asset program that is mostly stuff that isn't selling.

15. ibyte

ibyte

The FAQ says "In future, all Unity users who don’t qualify automatically for Level 11 will be able to purchase access for $19/month."

Is it the future yet?

16. Sharlatan

Sharlatan

I gave it a lot of thought and that's the thing: I really couldn't come up with much. Unity Free became just too good in comparison to Pro to justify 1500$ (and probably even the 750$ or so you pay for upgrades). It'd certainly be a whole different thing if we were a huge team or made a lot of money. I just feel like Unity Tech more or less eliminated the "serious hobbyist/small indie) customer segment by making Unity Free so unbelievable good.

I'm in that segment and I'd love to have a reason to give UT my money and support them. I really do because it's a great engine and I want to see them stay in business and take it even further!

The only thing I can think of right now and that would make buying any kind of license in the future more compelling to me (expect from making the Pro version more feature rich again but I highly doubt that) is a kind of "semi pro" license that includes features even hobbyists/small indies would profit from. Like the custom splash screen, the dark skin, etc.). Another model compelling me to spend money might be the ability to pay on a "per feature" basis where you certainly get a better price per feature if you buy the full pro license but also have the ability to just buy a few individual features if you're in the position that most of the pro features aren't really useful to you and that the few that are don't justify the cost of a Pro license.

Ostwind likes this.
  17. zenGarden

zenGarden

There is a solution mading it easy for Unity and for us : Royalties
    So all users will have access to all features without paying Pro price.

18. Saxi

Saxi

Till you make like $85,000/y (per team member) the royalties are not as much as a Unity license. That's covers about 99% of game developers unfortunately.

19. hippocoder

hippocoder

Digital Ape

No guys. Just no.

Don't go down the royalty route. It's pretty much the only reason a lot of people quite prefer Unity.

20. mdrotar

mdrotar

Try to stay on topic. There are other threads that discuss the pricing model of Pro.

hippocoder and randomperson42 like this.
  21. goat

goat

Are these online Unity db services and player matchups going to cost about the same as Level 11 - I guess unless they get really big and use a lot of resources.

22. Saxi

Saxi

Unity has really outdone themselves this month. Didn't think Asset 11 could get any worse.

Ostwind likes this.
  23. hippocoder

hippocoder

Digital Ape

What would've made it not-worse for you?

24. Saxi

Saxi

Assets that people actually would want. Better yet, not stripping everything from Pro so you are basically paying $4,500 per person for the ability to do custom splash screens and throwing this lame Asset 11 program as a way of balancing it.

25. Ostwind

Ostwind

I don't want to say the assets themselves suck but rather the selection in general. This time (partly again) the free assets seem to be very random stuff and not sure how many pro users they actually benefit vs some of the previous months. The discounted items are mostly items that have been discounted several times already in daily or madness sales?

I would rather kill the current style Level 11 and change it to something more useful like give us a discount/voucher worth x every month so we could use it on something we actually need. Now it's just a lottery where you get items you don't need or you already own.

imtrobin, slumtrimpet and carking1996 like this.
  26. Saxi

Saxi

Asset 11 is going away in it's current form and changing to something different from what I have heard. In my opinion it is a big slap in the face to Pro users who already got screwed with having us finance all the free users while having no benefits.

27. hippocoder

hippocoder

Digital Ape

I've been diplomatic but that ends now:

1. You pay for unity as a product. That's all. See those fancy particles? the rendering? the sound? the features? that's what you're paying for. Nothing else. Not level 11.

2. Splash screen removal isn't what you pay for. That's the price personal users "pay" to use the product for free.

3. Unity costs $1500 per major platform. Regardless of any extras, that's the price. So you're basically moaning about extras that shouldn't really be there IMHO. They shouldn't have extras. $1500 is cheap for what you get.

4. It's wrong to think of Unity being $1500 to remove a splash screen. The splash screen is there for people who do not want to purchase Unity as a whole. It's Unity's valuation that this splash, is enough advertising to make it worth their while.

Ultimately you want a car? pay for it.

28. Saxi

Saxi

1) No, that's all free. Unity said so when they gave away everything to free non-paying users.

2) Yes it is, as that is the only "benefit" of Pro, everything else is given away for free. Spin it however you like but that's really what it boils down to.

3) Yes, and most people are going to want Android/IOS, so $4,500 per developer. Extras? What extras? There are no extras, you got splash screen and that's it. Asset 11 is a joke, even Unity has come to this realization and is changing it. Asset 11 was developed to appease pro users who feel splash screen isn't enough to justify Pro usage.

4) Again, $4,500 for most developers these days and you can't just buy Unity Pro and use free for Android/IOS, so again $4,500.

29. hippocoder

hippocoder

Digital Ape

1) it's not called Unity Free. It's called Unity Personal. Which means you can use it and release with it, download it for free but you don't have a license to do what you want freely with it.

2) Pro doesn't need benefits. Pro is the actual core product. You are the one paying for it because you can't stand the splash screen. If you paid for it for level 11, then that's your problem. You're essentially saying you don't qualify for Pro and just wanted splash screen gone and free assets. That doesn't change the fact that Pro is not optional, you need to pay for it if your income is >100k.

3) Proof that it costs $1500 per major platform. No matter how many of these you purchase, you don't get more Level 11.

4) Why did you pay for it again? Was it splash screen removal? nobody's forcing you to.

30. sfjohansson

sfjohansson

What Level 11 currently does.. is...if one is lucky... is to give something that is useful for free or for a better price. It doesn't really let users to utilise unity better or work more "professionally", saving a few pounds here and there doesn't really make it or break it.

Something that I think would be valuable for pro users would be the ability to try/evaulate packages before buying. As one could evaluate more options and make better decisions.

31. hippocoder

hippocoder

Digital Ape

I just use it as a bonus. Some months like this month, something handy comes along like that prototyping art set. If I want an asset, I don't wait for level 11. I've spent loads of cash on asset store. Sometimes something I wanted I paid for a day before it went heavily discounted. Did I cry? nope, too busy making my game :)

Ryiah and schmosef like this.
  32. sfjohansson

sfjohansson

Yeah..that pretty much what it is...a little bonus...I check at some points what there is..and if it's interesting I grab it...but in general it doesn't do anything for me...I search the asset store and buy what I need...

Ryiah and hippocoder like this.
  33. thomak-dev

thomak-dev

Any source for this?

34. samwit

samwit

What would be great is if Asset 11 allowed Pro users to get any of the previous month's day sales at the price they went on sale at.

35. BornGodsGame

BornGodsGame

Oh lord...... for a moment I thought we were on the WOW forums....

One thing to consider about Level 11 is that providers have to opt-in and run a lot of risk with customer support. I think the way it works is they get paid what they earned the previous month when they agree to add a $0 product to level 11. So if something made $100 last month with 5 customers, now you are getting $100 this month with 200 customers you need to provide support for. I am surprised anyone but music and art even participates at all, or really popular and mature assets that have forums of customer support volunteers.

As far as pro, I think part of the problem is that Analytics and Cloudbuild were not finished at launch of 5.0. Those two features will be pretty big pro-only items...and along with beta access and level 11 will be enough to push me over to pro. I also think beta access by it´s very nature is something that is not very important at a .0 launch compared to what it will be later in the cycle. So all those things together make pro people think they get shafted.

Aiursrage2k likes this.
  36. caitlyn

caitlyn

No, we are not removing it for Pro users, but we aren't going to be offering it as a subscription-only service for the rest of community (until we make it much, much better).

http://forum.unity3d.com/threads/level-11-as-subscription-service-being-revisited.366198/

37. Dustin-Horne

Dustin-Horne

You get the money you made the previous month to make up for the pro users, plus you get the sales from non pro users. So if you sold $2000 last month and you get put up free, and you sell $1800 to non pro users, you get the $1,800 plus the $2,000.