Search Unity

Thought Id give DOF a try :)

Discussion in 'Made With Unity' started by reveriejake, Jul 26, 2008.

1. reveriejake

reveriejake

So I was so excited about the release I thought id go ahead and throw a quick scene together... Here are some screenshots! Enjoy

Attached Files:

2. Alpha-Loup

Alpha-Loup

*shiver* I need to get pro... I need to get pro...

Looks great! A bit too blurry in the far off for my opinion, but the depth effect is really stunning.

Frank

3. Alec

Alec

so does this work in real time? Because Unity seems to be becoming more cooler than CryEngine2. I'm serious.

4. dock

dock

Wow!

Do you have a web-player for this? It would be nice to see how this holds up in realtime.

5. yangmeng

yangmeng

I am curious where people are seeing that DOF is a pro-only feature. On the release notes page (http://unity3d.com/unity/whats-new/unity-2.1), it lists three as pro-only:

Scripted Asset Processing is a Unity Pro-only feature.
    Real-time shadows on terrains are a Unity Pro-only feature.
    Streaming asset bundles are a Unity Pro-only feature.

But the Rendering with Shader Replacement section does not say this. But I couldn't get the shader replacement project to work with my Unity Indie so I am not sure what to believe!

6. Eric5h5

Eric5h5

Volunteer Moderator Moderator

Shader replacement is not Pro-only, and actually doesn't do anything that wasn't possible before (with manually swapping materials in OnPreRender etc.); it's just a lot more convenient now. The thing is, most of what you'd want to use shader replacement for requires render textures also, which are Pro-only of course. Like rendering the depth of the scene into a texture so you can blur it for DoF.

--Eric

7. Alec

Alec

8. reveriejake

reveriejake

Webplayer download :) of the scene..

Attached Files:

9. reveriejake

reveriejake

Everything is real-time even the cubemap on the ball is real-time!

10. yangmeng

yangmeng

Now I get it. Thanks.

11. Alec

Alec

Wow! This is really good for fps's with iron sights etc

12. Adam-Buckner

Adam-Buckner

Fas-kin-atin...

After a very quick squiz of the demo...

This is a great implementation of the idea of using Depth of Field in a game.

The reflections in the ball are great.

Coming from a photographic background I had some tho'ts.

The blur seems just too blurry all over.

The blur seemed to get too blurry too fast.

Depth of field is related to depth of focus and focus - so when the object if very close to the camera, the depth of field is smaller/shorter. This seems pretty good in the demo. When the ball is very close to camera it works well. However, as the object moves away from the camera, and the camera should be focusing farther away from itself to keep the ball in focus, so the depth of field should grow as well. There were times when the ball moved very far away from the camera and became substantially smaller than a single field in frame, yet the depth of focus around the ball was the same size. This felt odd to me. The math for this is well established if you can implement it to work on the fly.

Also - depth of field is a factor of the distance from the camera to the point of focus, not the distance from the object in focus, so the focus would be a band of all objects at the same distance from the camera - not the distance from the object in focus. This may be an optical illusion from the demo, but it seemed that the focus was being calculated as distance from the ball, rather than the camera. (But I easily could be wrong about what I was seeing...)

Visually, the first thing that you are going to be fighting is the eye is used to an optical "out of focus" effect that is different from a straight forward digital "blur". There are algorithms that do this as well, but they may be too complicated for on the fly rendering.

Looks great, and I look forward to seeing where this is going.

13. Colin Holgate

Colin Holgate

One bad thing about the scene is that there's too much grass. I don't mean visually really, but for performance reasons there's too much. My poor fans are in overdrive, and I'm sure I'm not getting the intended frame rate.

14. reveriejake

reveriejake

Well like I said at the top, it was a quick scene i put together... I seriously put it together in a couple hours! I have the same scene optimized, got rid of the real-time cubemap, decreased the amount of grass and rendering distance, shortened the clipping plane, and all around cleaned it up... Im almost sure the real-time cubemap is the cause of your computer working so hard though :)

15. reveriejake

reveriejake

Hey, I posted a cleaner faster version of the DOF demo up above where the old one was... Hopefully this one is a little better!

Jake

16. Alec

Alec

how'd you get the ball so detailed??

17. reveriejake

reveriejake

The ball is using a reflective bumpmapped shader with a cube map I attached to it... You can find the script for rendering the Cubmap somewhere on the script reference but im not sure off hand where that is... Hope that helps?

I added you to my MSN so if you have anymore questions go ahead and ask...

Laterz, Jake

18. Alec

Alec

Oh cool, will be sure to ask for a step by step process ;)

19. Red Ocktober

Red Ocktober

most excellent demo...

--Mike