Search Unity

This thread was useful but obviously broke the rules. Where is the correct place for it?

Discussion in 'Meta-forum Discussion' started by jamespaterson, Feb 8, 2021.

1. jamespaterson

jamespaterson

I personally thought this was a useful and interesting thread where a number of the regulars were engaging. It was closed for breaking self-promotion rules:

https://forum.unity.com/threads/kic...swer-your-questions-ama.1053236/#post-6812795

The thread is answering questions on a successful kickstarter funding. As part of this is references the project itself which I think is why it was considered self-promotion. On the other hand, its not really about the game itself, rather the strategy for marketing and financing it. This of course is a pretty important facet of a game development project. Where is the correct forum location for this kind of thread please?

2. jamespaterson

jamespaterson

3. Antypodish

Antypodish

I agree.
    The thread did provide tons of informative discussion, which is hardly to be found otherwise, in any other campaign, or from other devs.

I also think it has high value, despite the kind of self-promoting link in OP.
    But OP was keen to actively engage in discussion and answer in very detail, anything that been asked. If anything, thread did provide huge contribution already.

If anything campaign has been already founded, so it is not that OP was desperate shameless for self-promoting further. While sure it may be some into that, we need also about gain for our community from that.

Please do not shut down every valuable threads like that.
    I would be definitely voting for reopening.

ClaudiaTheDev and jamespaterson like this.
  4. Of course, I also recognize that the initial post was intended a shameless self-promo, but I think the answers helped it and became a valuable topic. So I just wanted to chime in that I agree, it was a bit heavy-handed closing.

Antypodish likes this.
  5. Gladyon

Gladyon

I agree 100%, that thread has been one of the most interesting I've read in weeks.
    I don't care if some part of it was self-promotion or not, it provided a lot of information very useful for a lot of people who plan to do a funding campaign and/or to use social media to advertise a video game.

@ClaudiaTheDev
    Thank you for all the information you've provided, it's been very interesting to learn about your funding experience and I bet you've helped a lot of people by sharing it.

ClaudiaTheDev and Antypodish like this.
  6. ClaudiaTheDev

ClaudiaTheDev

I am happy my answers helped so far! I do not want to cause any problems and i understand that self promotion is forbidden, i thought it was ok becasue it's an AMA post.

I just got many questions in private during my campaign and i preferred to answer public so more people can benefit from it and i can just send them links to a public forum post instead.

And my main(!) intention wasn't "shameless" self promotion and i doubt to get a backer here from the Unity Forum! I didn't write anything about my game in my initial post, only wrote about the crowdfunding campaign in general being a success. The engagement here is in general not super high and game devs aren't the target customer (My older WIP thread also gets almost none feedback here). Of course i benefit if my campaign gets more visibility and i shared the link also with that in mind but not as my main intention.

Antypodish and jamespaterson like this.
  7. zombiegorilla

zombiegorilla

Self promotion itself is not forbidden, we have several places specifcally for it. There is an existing thead here in WIP: https://forum.unity.com/threads/pc-consoles-ova-magica-monster-taming-and-farming-sim.869563/. The discussion should be continued there, that is what it (and MWU for completed) is for. There is nothing wrong with discussion itself, just not in General. We have those forums specifically for self-promotion so other forums don't get flooded with folks showing up here simply for marketing, and for... um... less useful/inspiring posts filling the place up.

That said, the community team is working on a method for featuring and drawing attention to projects like this (interviews/AMAs/featuring/etc). They have no timeline on it yet, but it is in the works. With moving some of this stuff back from Connect, it will take a little time.

But for the time being, please continue the discussion in the WIP, it is the OPs sig and posted above.

JoNax97 and jamespaterson like this.
  8. jamespaterson

jamespaterson

Thanks for the clarification this is very helpful.