Search Unity

! ! ! This November Don't Forget To Vote ! ! !

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by im, Nov 4, 2013.

1. im

im

2. OutSpoken_Gaming

OutSpoken_Gaming

3. im

im

hey no solicitation around the polling place ;)

great ones

too bad im all out of votes

10 votes are just not enough.

Last edited: Nov 5, 2013
  4. vx4

vx4

5. Pix10

Pix10

Be careful what you ask for :)

Physics APIs have very little in common, beyond the obvious that they all do the same things to different degrees of success.

Replacing PhysX with Havok would change the way everything to do with rigidbodies and joints, etc, work - not just the sim results, but the interfaces to hook into the APIs.

We used to make heavy use of Reactor (Havok) in 3DS Max ... when Autodesk replaced Reactor with MassFX (PhysX) one year, it pretty much cut us off from using current versions of Max for 18 months....and to this day I can't load and re-export a max project from pre-2012 because of it.

That said, if you want a physics solution that's not tied to a vendor, doesn't have crippling license fees attached and has proven itself across the CG industry, it would be Bullet.

6. darkhog

darkhog

Also, from what I worked with Bullet it has similar API to current physics api (dunno how it work behind scenes, may be even similar to PhysX in general).

Plus, nothing stops UT from just write wrapper that is consistent with current API, but makes call to Havok/Bullet behind the scenes instead of PhysX (again, dunno what's going on internally, maybe there is wrapper in place already).

7. im

im

the thing w physx is nvidia bought it so its not supported on ati gpu

8. im

im

its eye catching title

but when you open the candy wrapper and look inside you get an unexpected surprise

so when click on it and you read the actual post it has nothing to do with todays elections in the us

but about a different type of voting

voting for what you like changed / added in unity

and giving them feedback to help shape in small way what gets done in future releases...

and by getting you to look i hope i got you to go there take a look at feedback area and take the time to cast some votes for stuff you want changed/added

and thus made unity a little better for everyone

which is sort of what elections are all about, getting people involved and shaping what happens

then again the feedback area maybe as fake as the rest of our election systems ;)

9. Aiursrage2k

Aiursrage2k

Everyone should vote for this one, so we can finally upgrade the version of physx. You want force-fields, its got em, tornados yeah, rubber frogs, its there and that was 5+ years ago last time I looked it at.I think they also had fluids. It seems to me since they got bought by NVida they have been adding less features then they used to and thats a god damn shame.
    http://feedback.unity3d.com/suggestions/update-to-lastest-version-of-phy

10. Zeblote

Zeblote

11. darkhog

darkhog

12. Meltdown

Meltdown

Upgrade to latest mono runtime.
    New PhysX
    Deprecation of US/Boo

13. Don-Gray

Don-Gray

Or maybe even (see signature).

14. kalamona

kalamona

Or, you know, maybe FBX-es shouldn't all have a 270 degree rotation on them. If there is a solution that in the Asset Store, ProPivot, then why cannot unity implement it? :(

If they are afraid that it will break existing things, they should make the import default as current, but similar to setting the "import scale", we should be able to set the "import rotation" too.