Search Unity

1. Unity 2019.2 is now released.
    Dismiss Notice

"This clip is not recordable"... animating in clips on the timeline?

Discussion in 'Timeline' started by Aaron-Meyers, Oct 1, 2019.

1. Aaron-Meyers

Aaron-Meyers

I'm working on a pretty complicated Timeline animation at the moment and my general workflow has been to use Animation tracks with individual clips that I create in the project folder. I'll simultaneously have the Timeline panel locked to my master timeline and separately have the Animation panel open so I can open up clips (linked) and tweak and add keyframes etc.

This has worked fine so far for animating parameters on components, but I'm now needing to do a bunch of animation on a transform and what I really want to be able to do is arm the recording function on my clip and move my transforms around in the scene view and have those record into the clip.

Unfortunately, whenever I arm an animation clip to record, it doesn't add any keyframes when I move things around and a little red warning icon shows up on the clip in the timeline that says "This clip is not recordable". Strange, because I feel like I remember this working at an earlier stage in the project, but I could be imagining it.

upload_2019-10-1_12-44-11.png

Is there any way for me to use the recording option with an animation clip? I know that I can create an "infinite clip" directly on the timeline and animate there, but beyond this shortcoming, I find using animation clips to be a much better workflow.

2. GameDevCouple_I

GameDevCouple_I

Im confused, I could be wrong but I am pretty sure this worked before?

It might be worth filing a bug report as detailed here: https://unity3d.com/unity/qa/bug-reporting

It could be this is intended but worth being sure!

3. seant_unity

seant_unity

Unity Technologies

If the clip has that icon, it means it wasn't recorded with timeline, so timeline won't change it. You can add an override track and record values there, if you want to override individual curves.

Also, if you record into an empty space on an Animation Track with an existing clip, timeline will auto-create a recordable clip for you.

4. Aaron-Meyers

Aaron-Meyers

Thanks... yea that totally works for me. It feels a little weird that you need to have an existing clip on the Animation Track in order to create a recordable track... its sort of like a hidden path to the behavior you're really looking for. Maybe if there was just a "create recordable clip" option in the right-click menu on the Animation Track it would solve this weird hidden-ness.