Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

Controller Third Person Templates by Invector

Discussion in 'Tools In Progress' started by Invector, Aug 20, 2015.

1. carlosrovira

carlosrovira

Yeah, I'm on 5.2.2p3

Thanks!

Dproboy likes this.
  2. Invector

Invector

Weird man, we just tested here on a Mac with 5.2.2 and apparently no errors whatsoever
    The error leave you to a script if you double click on him?

Cover system will be add on the Shooter Addon ;)
    ps* Love you guys too :D

Dproboy likes this.
  3. carlosrovira

carlosrovira

Hi, just downloaded 5.2.2p4, create again a new project with TPCT and the error is gone. I tried then to import other assets (Adventure Creator,...) in the other test project, but now there's no error. So, I don't know what to say, it seems these are the things that happen in Unity from time to time...sorry.

The JumpOver one is still there, easy to reproduce I think.

btw, I was trying to see how to put in practice your advice about point 7, but I'm with no luck. Could you share more info?
    The change is inside Unity, or in a 3D package (I use Blender). I think I need a bit of help here, if you could share some documentation, or if there's a video to see the method. I'm very interested in get this one, since my character should move from tile to tile, and can't be in the middle of two or in a different position from the center of a Tile.

Thanks!

Carlos

Dproboy likes this.
  4. Zeroner

Zeroner

Ok, I´m not sure about the colliders but here I let you more screenshots of the inspector.

Thanks

Attached Files:

5. Que

Que

When will the shooter plugin will be available?

6. Invector

Invector

@Zeroner You forgot to add the Layers, take a look in our Documentation > First Run
    Just set up the layer Player for the character, Default & StopMove for the StopMove and Default for GroundLayer.
    Btw, your model seems to have some issues with the rig scale, I don't see the sphere colliders for the footstep and the capsule collider is a little off, try rigging your model with Mixamo just to have a reference.

7. Invector

Invector

Q1 2016 guys, there is a lot of stuff to be polished and we don't wanna rush things just to make some 'extra money', we really wanna publish something solid, fully documented, and with video tutorials (btw I will make more video tutorials for this template soon)

Invector's goals was always Quality over Quantity, and we need some time to do it :p

jayimagination likes this.
  8. carlosrovira

carlosrovira

Hi InVector, hope you could give me more info about this since I'm lost. Don't know if you refer to make this change inside Unity, or in 3d packeage like Blender. Could you give some clue in order to get in track?

Thanks!!

Carlos

9. blackbird

blackbird

still no shooter version ?

Dproboy likes this.
  10. Invector

Invector

Hey Carlos! -sorry I missed your question over there

I don't know how you can make this on Blender, but this video shows the main idea on how to apply root motion
    you need to clear the curve that moves the character in the translate Z, and then make a new curve with the value that you need, tweek until you get the distance you want

11. carlosrovira

carlosrovira

Thanks InVector for the video, I'm not in Maya but will try to see how to do this on Blender. Thanks for pointing me on the right direction! :)

12. carlosrovira

carlosrovira

Hi InVector,

I'm trying to integrate with Adventure Creator myself. The integration is done like the sample in this tutorial:

http://www.adventurecreator.org/tutorials/adding-custom-motion-controller

So this is done by adding AC's "Player" and "Path" scripts (normal AC player scripts) to the 3rdPersonController gameobject and creating a custom script like the one in the example (CustomControllerLink) to allow AC to control the player during cut scenes.

Without the latest script, AC is capable to put the player in the player start position moving the 3rdPersonController object to that location. and I can control the player without problem.

So to end the integration, I think I need only the following (in order of importance/precedence), and would want to know if there's already exists or not:

* A way to make AC take control of 3rdPersonController game object. Is there some variable in "ThirdPersonController" class (I think this one is the needed since is the one managing the input) that tells the player to recieve or not input and be able to use Input? So I could assing AC's bool value "CanBeDirectControlled"?

* Is there a method to assign a position or rotation (so I could assign "GetTargetPosition" and/or "GetTargetRotation"?

* finaly script integration would be know where the player is walking or running through "bool isRunning" AC variable (there's one more "bool isTalking" but I think this one doesn't apply currently ;))

* Finaly, AC's could use a player in the scene, but is preferred to remove it from the scene and use it as a Prefab. I think there's some assignaments that doesn't work if I generate a prefab from the player in scene. maybe I could be wrong but seems like the player is not prepared to be a prefab since the reference to HUD, for example, is removed.

If I get this 4 points solved, I could get this two assets correclty integrated. Hope you could support me in this task, since seems not to complicated and could be of great value for this asset.

Thanks in advance for your help! :)

13. carlosrovira

carlosrovira

Just forgot one last thing. In AC there's a motion mode called "JustTurning", could be a way to put the TPC in a similar mode?

14. Invector

Invector

Hey Carlos, I think it's Great that you are making this integration!! :D

Let's see, to completly lock the player there is the variable call LockPlayer and to overhide the input, you can use the speed and direction variables that controls directly the animations by the animator. (Check the bool Debug Window to see this variables working in real time)

To make the character go to a specific spot, take a look in the TopDownController script, it has a method call ControllerInput that received a hit.point and make the player go there.

You can also see if the character is running by the variable Speed and about the prefab thing, :eek:, indeed we need to check if there is a hud in the scene and assign, for the camera you can just instantiate inside the player, it should go fine.
    about the JustTurning... we have a bool CanTurn lol, for that QuickTurn180 animation.

Sorry for the fast answers, It's my last week of college final semester, and it's crazy D:
    but after day 23 I will go back 110% with full support and updates for you guys!

15. Jenovah

Jenovah

Invector,

You mentioned the shooter stuff is next year, I'm curious if the melee stuff will be added sooner? TBH that mainly what I'm interested in.

Cheers.

-J

16. Invector

Invector

@Jenovah We will release a simple combo attack (B, B, B) on the next major update :)

17. mensch-mueller

mensch-mueller

Hi
    got some errors when i wan´t to build to iOs:
    Plugin 'XInputInterface.dll' is used from several locations:
    Assets/Invector-3rdPersonController/Scripts/XInput/Plugins/x86/XInputInterface.dll would be copied to <PluginPath>/XInputInterface.dll
    Assets/Invector-3rdPersonController/Scripts/XInput/Plugins/x86_64/XInputInterface.dll would be copied to <PluginPath>/XInputInterface.dll
    Please fix plugin settings and try again.

What does that mean and how to fix it?
    Cheers
    Michael

Last edited: Nov 20, 2015
  18. Jenovah

Jenovah

Thanks, I'm curious if you will be able to hit enemies or a prop and destroy it? Or is it just press (B,B,B) to play an attack sequence?

Dproboy and jayimagination like this.
  19. Demonith88

Demonith88

Just asking if i get this asset can i use separately mobile controller to other project or other asset ?

Dproboy likes this.
  20. Invector

Invector

Hey mensch we reply your email with this question, let me know if you get to work :)

Yes it will give damage to other objects :)

Hmmmm we already have a mobile controller fully set up for this project, I think you can certainly modified and add your custom if you want to, but you will need to work a little bit.

21. Teyhouse

Teyhouse

Simple Question @Invector: Is there an easy way to improve the running speed? I was a bit surprised to see this is nothing i can change directly in the Inspector. Would be nice to get your opinion on this one.

Second question: Is there some kind of roadmap of what we can expect to get during the end of this year? New features etc.?

22. Invector

Invector

The 'correct' way to increase the speed is by changing your animation root motion using a 3D Editor (I posted a video about how to do it above) but I guess the easiest way would be just changing the speed of your animation clip on the animator controller, but I think this can only solve little adjusts, if you want to increase the speed from 1 to 3 for example, the result will be very wierd lol. - I thinking on add a variable "Extra Move Speed" or something like that, but this can make the character slides a little bit, that's why we never put any 'non-root motion' stuff.

I've also posted a little roadmap a few pages back, now that we release the v1.1, we will take a look into some possible integrations, and later on v1.2 we will add a simple attack combo and a simple enemy IA, something for you guys have a base to work on :)

23. jayimagination

jayimagination

I'm looking forward to the coming updates and the shooter addon..
    I have a suggest for a software intregration with emerald AI or ICE for ai bots.
    Thanks

24. Gojira96

Gojira96

Hi,

First of all,I got to say,I love this asset,it is fantastic and I am so glad I bought it.

I`ve encountered a small bug in the latest update,not gamebreaking in anyway,but somewhat annoying.

I have imported template into a new project and set up everything correctly,but when I set up ragdoll,after getting hit,it starts saying „Control scheme changed to keyboard/mouse“ everytime i move,and on rare occasions,when not using V-bot,but other models,it prevents me from moving while showing the message.

EditorVersion: 5.2.2f1

I am also trying to do something with this asset that might not be as hard as I think,but I do not know where to start.

What I am trying to do is,make it fly,but without using animations.

I just want him on a press of a button,to go up in the air without gravity and be in constant ragdoll mode,strong enough to destroy fractured buildings,but easy enough to move.
    He should be able to move like a Freelook,or spectator camera,but still collide with objects.
    The player in my game cannot die anyway so why not have some fun? :D

I am more interested in theory behind it,but if you are willing to help me with the script it would be much appreciated.

Thanks

25. Invector

Invector

Hey @Gojira96 , I could swear that I had already fixed this problem o_O
    anyways, it's super simple to fix, just open the Character.cs and search the method isMobileInput()

there this #if UNITY_EDITOR, just add a #if UNITY_EDITOR && MOBILE_INPUT and this should fix ;)

About your other request, hmmmmm.. here is an idea (not tested, I just thought of it now and it's a little crazy lol), you can make a extra controller like "FlyingController.cs", and activate when you switch to ragdoll mode and of course turn of the normal third person controller, this new flyingcontroller will move a transform.position, you can assign the hips of your character and move then around while in ragdoll mode. Don't forget that you will need to comment the lines in the Ragdoll script that Stabilize the ragdoll and turn him off. I think this can work :confused: lol

26. Gojira96

Gojira96

Will try,thanks :)

27. dansta2k

dansta2k

Hi Invector

This might be a silly question but I was hoping you could help me,

I need to reset my characters position and rotation to 0 during game play - unfortunately I am unable to make the camera do this instantly rather there seems to be a mild transition going on.

Do you have any thoughts?

Regards

28. snackzilla

snackzilla

I absolutely love this controller. I tested it on a buddies game project. The animations and transitions were like butter. Absolutely fantastic work. I'm currently using Opsive's TPS controller on my own project (which is a great product as well), but for my next, I'd seriously consider purchasing this one if it could be fully integrated with plyGame, as it's my method of choice for building simple game logic. I saw a few posts up you'd be working on integrations in the future. Just throwing my plyGame hat into the ring for something I'd like to see. :)

29. Invector

Invector

Hey @dansta2k our Camera has a Smooth Follow, the lower the value, the slower the camera will follow the character, you can try to increase this value, and if is a change of CameraState, you can try set "tpCamera.ChangeState("NewState", false);" -the false in the end is a bool that say if this state has smooth transition or not.
    Orrr if you really don't wanna any smooth at all, you can simple change in the TPCamera script to "currentTargetPos = targetPos".

Thanks @snackzilla !! We just bought PlayMaker since it's the most requested asset and we have been studying possible integrations, let's see what can be done :)

30. jayimagination

jayimagination

Just curious have you look at any of the AI solutions? If so which ones?

31. Hollowcow

Hollowcow

Hi @Invector , I just bought this template as it seems very interesting and useful.
    I am trying to make a simple japanese themed action game for my Final Year Project.
    So I am particularly interested about the melee combat system and the AI.
    When is v1.2 estimated to be completed?
    Thanks and really hoping to get my way around this template, still new to how the whole animator concept works.

32. Invector

Invector

We have not tested any AI solution yet, but people often comment about ICE Control Creature, it seem to be interesting.

Hey there @Hollowcow, thanks for your purchase :D
    I really want to publish v1.2 this month, but our main problem is to find good animations to keep the package with nice quality, on v1.1 I did the ladder animations, and honestly they kind of suck lol.

Take a good look at this [article by mixamo] about Animator (Mecanim), they cover the most important things like states, blend tree's, masks, once you understand this concept, it's really easy to add new animations.

33. witchscroll

witchscroll

Hi invector
    I suggest you just buy a package in assetstore for animations. i also look forword to your melee combat system and ai in 1.2.
    and, someone say this work is not a plugin package, but a project. i suggest you make it as a plugin package for easy intergrate in user's project.

34. dansta2k

dansta2k

Thanks Invector, that got me on the right path, really appreciate it.

Invector likes this.
  35. Invector

Invector

Thanks for you sugestion man, but we can buy animations from the asset store and re-sell then, it's against the EULA rules, and also our template is really a complete project, a plugin is more like a custom visual editor withou any inputs or tags.

That's great :D
    keep up customising the template guys, I wanna see some cool stuff :B

36. Invector

Invector

Hey guys,

I'm receiving a lot a emails asking how to set up a new characters despite being in the documentation, so we did a quick introduction video for the new users.
    We are doing a series of tutorials right now about the controller inspector and how to work with standard assets, what to do if you got any errors and stuff like that :)

37. karmacomp

karmacomp

I had a perfectly working scene. Was about to edit it and noticed an update to the 3rd person controller. I updated it. It overwrote my level (ok, I allowed it since I had not done too much yet) and now all I get are errors and cannot even run it.

What can I do? I don't want to start over yet again.

Attached is a screen shot of the errors.

Mike

Attached Files:

38. dinaga

dinaga

Hi,

I've been using the controller for a while and it's working great. I have a question regarding the locking target mechanism in TPCamera. When lock button is pressed, lockTarget variable is assigned, and the camera locks on it. With a few modifications I made this work properly so the player orbits around the target in lock mode.

But when the player releases the lock, the camera just "jumps" to where it would have been if it wasn't locked on target. How to make the camera remain at the same place after the lock button is released? I've been trying to do this for a while but I can't seem to make it work.

Thanks in advance!

39. Invector

Invector

Hi Mike,
    Make sure to always backup your project before import any updates, luckily for you this looks very simple to fix.
    the error is "the namespace already contains a definition for", so you have duplicate scripts in your project, so you can find the duplicated scripts and remove or just delete the invector folder and import again.

Hello there @dinaga,
    We actually are still working in this lock mode lol, that's why there is no examples for lock or anything like that in the demo scenes, and I'm pretty sure that we comment the lines for the lock mode on the last update... but anyways, it's really cool that you manage to work with, I guess you need to make sure that the camera is still working and following the player, try clear the transform to lockTarget first, and then turn false the LockCamera. Also if you want, send me your code on a PM or email for me to take a better look :)

40. karmacomp

karmacomp

That fixed it. Thanks.

Perhaps a installer should be created for updates that deletes or simply overwrites the changed files and avoids these errors. It seems like deleting the asset and re-importing it is a pain. Not hard, but a pain.

Mike

41. dinaga

dinaga

Thank you very much! I sent you my code so you can see the issue. :)

42. Invector

Invector

Here it is one more tutorial for you guys :)

43. Invector

Invector

Whaaats up guys, here it is one more! this one is about what you can do in case of errors when importing the Standard Assets or other assets. ;)

Last edited: Dec 11, 2015
  44. DanBanner

DanBanner

This asset is AWESOME! I Love it, it does exactly what I need a more! The more I play with it the better it's getting. Well done guys!

However, I've just imported my own character using Adobe Fuse and Mixamo and simply replaced the vbot model in the character controller, everything is working perfectly except the footsteps. I can hear a sound when he jumps and when he lands, but not when walking. I can also hear steps when he is walking down a slope.
    Any suggestions on how to fix this?

UPDATE: I've just put the Debug Texture Name on and it looks like it's not detecting any ground type while walking, only when he jumps or the terrain changes height.

Last edited: Dec 11, 2015
  45. Invector

Invector

Great to hear that you are enjoying the asset @DanBanner :D
    This issue is probably because of the sphere radius or position, take a look at the documentation and try set up more/less radius, you can also try a offset Y and make sure to leave enough space for the collider to hit the ground.

Ps* next update will bring a footstep slot for particle effects :D

46. DanBanner

DanBanner

I fixed this by drilling down on my character in the Hierarchy under the Hips section to LeftUpLeg/LeftLeg/LeftFoot and offset the Sphere collider Y to 0.1 which put the center of the collider inline the the sole of the characters foot. I did this to both feet and the footsteps were working again.
    This contoller keeps getting better and better!

Invector likes this.
  47. DanBanner

DanBanner

I've just noticed another issue when my character gets hit by a pendulum and gets up after being in ragdoll mode. The characters direction is skewed. Sometimes I am pressing forward and the character is running in the forward direction but the in-game character is facing sideways.

The attached screen shot shows how the character is facing the wrong way. This image is a snap shot of the character walking towards the Pendulums but clearly facing backwards to the left.

Can you suggest how to fix it?

Attached Files:

• temp.jpg
      temp.jpg
      File size:
      461.8 KB
      Views:
  48. Invector

Invector

Hmmm I saw this happen one time, but I can't remember what was the issue lol
    something about the model perhaps, or animations... did you change any animation? idle, walk, etc...
    if you did change, make sure that the animations is going straight by Bake into Pose the clip

49. DanBanner

DanBanner

No, all the animations are the ones that come with your controller and the model is a basic one from Fuse and Mixamo.

50. Invector

Invector

Can you upload your model and send me the link on a PM or email?
    I will take a look if it is the model, because I just test here with a couple of models and it's working all right