Search Unity

Controller Third Person Templates by Invector

Discussion in 'Tools In Progress' started by Invector, Aug 20, 2015.

1. PhosphorUnity

PhosphorUnity

Can you either post a new 1.1 demo, or post a quick video showing off the 1.1 features? Really want to see how jump works ...

Also- is the simple combat melee or ranged?

Last edited: Oct 30, 2015
  2. Invector

Invector

I will update the webplayer and the .exe links today :)
    There is no combat just yet, we just release the template and we wanna add new things one step at the time
    is better then add 300 stuff and just 7 works correctly lol, but people are experimenting very cool stuff, I've received email from a guy who add weapons and meele, it's really not that hard, try watching our video tutorial, once you get it how add animations clips and call then, the results are pretty cool.

SingularitySystems likes this.
  3. Invector

Invector

4. SingularitySystems

SingularitySystems

Found a bug for you. When you are running, if you fall off a cliff (Without running or jumping off it) and press Space to jump while in mid-air, the character falls, waits until he is standing properly, and then jumps. I can't reproduce it every time so I haven't figured out the conditions it's able to happen under, but it happens often enough to be jarring.

Also, side request, if we could get an option for "Jump to Disengage from Ladder" it would fall nicely in line with the standard AAA Model.

Great work Sirs, I look forward to the next update eagerly!

Invector likes this.
  5. Invector

Invector

Thanks @SingularitySystems !!
    We heard you, this little occasional bug that happens when jumps close to the edge also happen to me, we will prioritize this and release a fix as soon as possible :)

Edit* Just found the problem, is super easy to fix just add a extra Parameter Jump False in the AnyState arrow to Falling state.

6. PhosphorUnity

PhosphorUnity

Just bought it- thanks!!!

Is there a way in the TP Camera you could have a state that points to a different external camera if you need to use something else?

Like I can already bypass the camera entirely, but I want to just use a different camera for a special state

7. ArtisticSliz

ArtisticSliz

Hey there. I just bought this controller, and I'm really impressed with how robust it already is. I'd love to see some additions in terms of if your character runs into an object, they should stop their running animation, which is pretty straightforward (if their speed drops to zero) and should be a standard inclusion, maybe with a button to turn that detection on and off.

I have one basic question, just from my first tests. How do you set up an object that the character will automatically hurdle? The "jump over" animation doesn't seem to activate. This is the same case with the "climb up" animation. *Edit* Also, on a jumping note, when you jump while standing, the character does an awkward up>forward>down motion. It'd be superior if they just jumped straight up and down. And about half of the time when you jump, they start running in mid-air, then return to their jumping fall animation. It looks jerky and strange.

I have also already found a bug. I have a very basic scene setup to test the movements of the character. Just a ground plane and some obstacles. When I create a ragdoll body for the character, and then I enter the play mode, the character crouches immediately and won't stop. Anyone else seeing this issue?

8. PhosphorUnity

PhosphorUnity

do you have "press to crouch" unchecked in 3rd person? I notice when you autocrouch you don;t come out of it

Agree would love the auto mantle and stuff

9. ArtisticSliz

ArtisticSliz

"Press to crouch" works as a toggle option for crouching. But it doesn't effect anything if I add the ragdoll. And I can't undo the ragdoll creation, so I have to entirely reload my scene.

10. ArtisticSliz

ArtisticSliz

I've discovered that if you HOLD the jump button while he is in the air, the animation rolls smoothly. Maybe there is some transition happening in mid-air if you don't hold the button, where it does the first half of the animation, then goes back to normal, then detects it is falling and plays the second half. Similar jerkiness happens while sprinting, though very inconsistently, maybe every 3-10 seconds.

*Edit* This is inconsistent from play to play. It seems to change every time.

11. Invector

Invector

Hey @ArtisticSliz take a few minutes do read the documentation, when you set up a new character in a new scene, you need to change the Character's Layer to "Player" and set up the layer Ground Layer to "Default", and StopLayer to "Default & StopMove", this wierd auto crouch issues, is the head detection colliding with the ragdolls colliders lol

Before the update, our system automatically make this changes, but we decide to manually set up because of some issues of compatibility that some users have been experience.

12. ArtisticSliz

ArtisticSliz

OOF! I feel like a dummy. Look over here guys, I'm a senior vet, and I make newbie mistakes out of impatience. This single change fixed every issue I had except the "jump over" and "climb up" animations not activating. Thanks! (This is probably a question you've had to answer a few times.)

Invector likes this.
  13. Invector

Invector

Hahha no worriesss man! This is actually new, so some people may ask too :)
    I'm glad you liked o/

btw* if you wanna do actions automatically without press a button, just select the trigger object of action and check the bool "Auto Action".

ps* I want to make a video tutorial explaining every value on the Character Inspector and how to set up a new scene, but college is sucking my soul right now, sorry guys D:

14. Invector

Invector

Hmmmmm lets see...
    You can make a trigger that activate a External camera, just put the Depth with a greater value then the 3rdPersonCamera, and it should overhide the original camera.

15. Invector

Invector

16. ArtisticSliz

ArtisticSliz

I have a lot of experience using lighting, materials, and such. But the intricacies of the animation system in Unity is still an area of weakness for me. Are you talking about a box I will check in the Animator, or a bool I'll somehow trigger on the object itself? And is there a particular height of object that the controller calculates to determine if it should use "climb up" versus "jump over"?

17. Invector

Invector

Every gameobject that you make an action has a trigger with the script Trigger Action, you can set up custom messages and check the bool Auto Action if you want the character to do the action when he collide in this trigger.

Also, we use the MatchTarget system of the Mecanim, that little sphere collider is the target that send the desire height that you need for the action.

18. ArtisticSliz

ArtisticSliz

Brilliant. I see. So, in a dynamic world, there's a LOT of setup, if you want everything to react the same way. I'll have to do a lot of tweaking and putting together of prefabs. Eventually, I may try writing in a raycasting system that evaluates these things on the fly and chooses the right actions, all Assassin's Creed style. I'm only one man, but we'll see what I can make happen.

19. ArtisticSliz

ArtisticSliz

Are you guys open to more suggestions? I'd love to see an option for the character inherit the speed of running in their jump, so if the user changes the character's speed, the jump is in equal measure. That way, if a character is slow they can't jump far, and if they're fast they jump very far. And incorporating a roll-out animation for jumps of a medium height would be a lot nicer than having the character just immediately ragdoll.

And more on that note, it'd be great to see the character jump and fall with the same real forces of gravity. Currently when your character falls from something, he looks to attain the 9.8m/s/s of gravity, but not so when jumping. It feels.... soft?

Last edited: Oct 31, 2015
  20. WickedRabbitGames

WickedRabbitGames

Hi... I purchased last week and was having no problems. After the upgrade, something seems to have gone wrong. Specifically, when I try to create a character, I get two errors....

NullReferenceException: (null)
    UnityEditor.SerializedObject..ctor (UnityEngine.Object[] objs) (at C:/buildslave/unity/build/artifacts/generated/common/editor/SerializedPropertyBindings.gen.cs:72)
    UnityEditor.Editor.GetSerializedObjectInternal () (at C:/buildslave/unity/build/artifacts/generated/common/editor/EditorBindings.gen.cs:151)
    UnityEditor.Editor.get_serializedObject () (at C:/buildslave/unity/build/artifacts/generated/common/editor/EditorBindings.gen.cs:144)
    UnityEditor.GameObjectInspector.OnEnable () (at C:/buildslave/unity/build/Editor/Mono/Inspector/GameObjectInspector.cs:88)​

and the second one...

MissingComponentException: There is no 'Rigidbody' attached to the "3rdPersonController" game object, but a script is trying to access it.
    You probably need to add a Rigidbody to the game object "3rdPersonController". Or your script needs to check if the component is attached before using it.
    CreateCharacterEditor.Create () (at Assets/Invector-3rdPersonController/Scripts/CharacterCreator/Script/Editor/CreateCharacterEditor.cs:214)
    CreateCharacterEditor.OnGUI () (at Assets/Invector-3rdPersonController/Scripts/CharacterCreator/Script/Editor/CreateCharacterEditor.cs:127)
    System.Reflection.MonoMethod.Invoke (System.Object obj, BindingFlags invokeAttr, System.Reflection.Binder binder, System.Object[] parameters, System.Globalization.CultureInfo culture) (at /Users/builduser/buildslave/mono-runtime-and-classlibs/build/mcs/class/corlib/System.Reflection/MonoMethod.cs:222)
    The create character window remains open, but the actual setup isn't complete... previously it would add a camera, but that doesn't happen now. There are also no animations set up, unlike previously.

I've tried re-importing the asset, tried removing it and starting over, and I'm getting no where. I'm not experienced enough to understand what's happening with those arrows, but I'd sure like to get this working again! Thanks for your time!

21. Invector

Invector

Hey @CodexofRome try creating a new project and import the package again, it should work just fine if you are using Unity 5.2.0 or higher

22. WickedRabbitGames

WickedRabbitGames

I'm using 5.2.1p3.

A brand new project does let me create the character... but its still not working the way it was earlier. Forward movement works fine, as long as the controller isn't moving downwards. At that point it locks up into the falling animation and slides down whatever slope it's on. Of the other actions, aim works, but crouch, jump, roll and sprint do nothing.

23. Guideborn

Guideborn

Would this be compatible with ORK Framework? Which scripts should I plug in?

24. Invector

Invector

Oh... right, sorry about that @CodexofRome, we have to change a small thing, before the update the Character Creator automatically set up the layers for you, now you need to set up then manually, this increase the compatibility with some other assets and stuff... This information is on the Documentation and also in the changelog.

Just add this Layers on the Player Inspector and it should works just fine :)

25. Invector

Invector

Hmmmmm I really don't know about this one, it's a full framework... almost a engine inside a engine and it has their own controller design to work with everything else... so... it can be trick to blend then o_O, but I think it's possible if you know your way around coding and stuff ;)

26. WickedRabbitGames

WickedRabbitGames

Still getting the follow error simply trying to create the character.

MissingComponentException: There is no 'Rigidbody' attached to the "3rdPersonController" game object, but a script is trying to access it.
    You probably need to add a Rigidbody to the game object "3rdPersonController". Or your script needs to check if the component is attached before using it.
    CreateCharacterEditor.Create () (at Assets/Invector-3rdPersonController/Scripts/CharacterCreator/Script/Editor/CreateCharacterEditor.cs:214)
    CreateCharacterEditor.OnGUI () (at Assets/Invector-3rdPersonController/Scripts/CharacterCreator/Script/Editor/CreateCharacterEditor.cs:127)
    System.Reflection.MonoMethod.Invoke (System.Object obj, BindingFlags invokeAttr, System.Reflection.Binder binder, System.Object[] parameters, System.Globalization.CultureInfo culture) (at /Users/builduser/buildslave/mono-runtime-and-classlibs/build/mcs/class/corlib/System.Reflection/MonoMethod.cs:222)

There is no 3rd Person camera being created.

I'm seeing the The Create Character window which I think is the older version.. as it doesn't match the version that appears in the manual. I'll upload a screenshot soon.

Last edited: Nov 2, 2015
  27. carlosrovira

carlosrovira

Hi,

congrats for 1.1 version things look better than in 1.0. I like the better anim from rag doll to normal, and the jump and ladder. I think the isometric is a good start with the point'n click mode, but without path finding, I think is not practical since the player gets stuck.

I want to ask about Pull and Push modes (push a cube or pull a cube). I think this actions are a need for this asset.

Thanks!

28. Invector

Invector

Hmmm this is very odd @CodexofRome, are you sure you created a new clean project and is using a 5.2.0 above?
    actually I don't test on 5.2.1 yet, I will download and install here and see if this is the problem

Thanks @Carlos Rovira, actually not even Diablo has path finding for the player, only NPC's
    but if you press the mouse and make the path, the character follows :)
    There is several request's on the list, but I will make sure to add this as well

29. Invector

Invector

30. SingularitySystems

SingularitySystems

Much Luck with Sales today! Hope people support the asset.

Invector likes this.
  31. witchscroll

witchscroll

To invector:

nice asset !
    I'm developing a 3d sidescroll [camera allways look z direction] game. here is a screenshot.
    http://i3.tietuku.com/58c7405fd17526c4.jpg
    it is not 2.5D, the player can also move along z direction. like in the old arcade game named "knight of the round", 'dragon and durgeon'...
    I saw this asset have a 2.5d demo, but i want a 3d sidescroll one for my game. will you make it in future?

the secound question is
    I'm looking forward to your 1.2 with melee combat systerm and enemy npc. will that suit for my game?

the 3rd question is
    this asset can create player character so nice. can it create npc?

Dproboy likes this.
  32. radiantboy

radiantboy

Looks really great, would be awesome if it could replace UFPS 3rd person.

33. Invector

Invector

1- If you played our 2.5D, try move on the Z axis lol, they move just like the way that you want.
    2- We will put a very basic combat and NPC example on the 1.2, but you can certainly work on that as a base
    3- nope, our Character Creator window is only to create 3rd Person Controllers (topdown or not)

34. StenBone

StenBone

Hello Invector Dev Team,

I just imported Invector into a blank project and I get the errors seen in the attached image when I try to make an Android build of the mobile demo seen. Has anyone seen this before or know how to fix it?

Thank you very much for the help,
    BloodHound92 ThirdPersonController.png

35. Quatum1000

Quatum1000

Hi,
    would it possible exchange the "standby and waiting" pose to a relaxed one, or through the any other existing of eg Kubold by the customer? (like watch dogs, witcher3, gta5, etc...) If not, it would be a great feature.

Your standby pose is too heroic for us.

Kind regards,
    Q

36. magique

magique

What are the exact names of all the Inputs that are created for use with this controller? I've decided to go with Third Person Controller by Opsive and I don't want the extra inputs cluttering the project. I am, however, using a modified version of your footsteps from texture component and possibly some of the animations as well.

37. Invector

Invector

@BloodHound92 I saw this yesterday, it's really simple just delete the extra XInputDorNetPure.dll on the x86 foulder and should work!

I don't quite understand your question, you just want to replace the idle animation? if so... just drag and drop your clip to the state...

We have maped every 360 controller buttons, se basically if you see a 360 button like X, Y, A, B, Left Analogue, etc... it's from our template.

38. kurotatsu

kurotatsu

Congratz, on the recognition and blog post!!!

Here!

Tryz likes this.
  39. Tryz

Tryz

Contracts on the article @Invector . It's definitely cool watching all our tools evolve and getting highlighted. :D

40. Invector

Invector

Thanks guys!!!! It's so cool to be mentioned in this post with only 1 month at the AssetStore :D:D:D
    Great things are comming, thanks for all your support and feedback!

Tryz likes this.
  41. StenBone

StenBone

Thanks for the help Invector team. I deleted the x86 folder and now I am able to build for Android.

In my testing, I have found another bug with the character in the 3rdPersonController-Mobile demo scene. The mobile touch controls become completely unresponsive after the character is hit by one of the giant swinging pendulums. After the character is hit and flies through the air, he plays his getting up animation and the controls for mobile become completely unresponsive. This bug exists while playing in the editor and on the Android build.

Please let me know if you able to recreate the bug and if you need anymore information.
    BloodHound92

42. Invector

Invector

Oh this is very simple @BloodHound92, just drag the MobileControls gameobject below the HUD, and it should work.
    I've forgot to made this change when upload the v1.1, but I will upload a quick hotfix this week, with some small bug fixs

43. StenBone

StenBone

It works like a charm now @Invector . Thank you so much for the help! I am really enjoying this asset.

Invector likes this.
  44. Invector

Invector

Thanks for your suggestion @Dproboy, but that is really no need for a exclusive forum right now, this thread is doing the job :)

45. chainsawpenguin

chainsawpenguin

How do I change a controller's walk/run/spring speeds?

46. kurotatsu

kurotatsu

Comment removed about the forum, cause I'm trying to stay positive.

Last edited: Nov 3, 2015
  47. chainsawpenguin

chainsawpenguin

UPDATE: Figured it out. We're using root motion, so I just changed the speed of Locomotion in the Animator Controller.

Nice asset! :)

Dproboy and Invector like this.
  48. carlosrovira

carlosrovira

Hi, I tiny bug happens on Mac when the asset is imported in a new project, there's 3 warnings poping up in the console that warns about bad line ends in three scripts. Maybe devs are working on windows, and I propose that could test it on a Mac.

As I said is a tiny bug, but a cumbersome one for a purchased and supported item. Hope it could be solve in a future version.

Thanks!

Dproboy likes this.
  49. HaverbekeC

HaverbekeC

We're considering to buy this, as movement is a very important aspect of what we're building. But we are in a networked environment so I have some questions.

Are the actions / inputs that are happening on the controller easy to synch over the network? I wouldn't want to synch every animation state but rather broadcast all events that have an influence. How many of these can you have in one scene?

For the input actions where no objects are involved it should be fairly simple, but i'm wondering how this could work with the rag dolls or for example when you're climbing an object.

Edit: It's not necessary to have the exact rag doll state over the network, but the activation of the rag doll and the impact that caused it.

Edit 2: The adding a new animation tutorial answered my questions regarding the values i needed for network synching. Very nice code, which gives the required access. (
    ). No further questions atm, but i'll leave it here for who comes after me :)

Has anyone experience in making something like this work in a networked environment?

Really impressive asset btw.

Last edited: Nov 4, 2015
    Dproboy likes this.
  50. Invector

Invector

Hey @HaverbekeC, good to know that you manage to find anwsers :)
    We are not very familiar with Unity's Network, but we've made a very simple network prototype a few month's ago and everything works like expected, every character is independent from each other, so every action depends on the character it self.

Our code is very friedly, fully commented and customizable, I believe that is ready to receive networking, so if you have plans to add, please feel free to experiment around and share your results with us :D

Good to know that ;)

Dproboy likes this.