Search Unity

1. Unity 2018.3 is now released.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. The Unity Pro & Visual Studio Professional Bundle gives you the tools you need to develop faster & collaborate more efficiently. Learn more.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Want more efficiency in your development work? Sign up to receive weekly tech and creative know-how from Unity experts.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Build games and experiences that can load instantly and without install. Explore the Project Tiny Preview today!
    Dismiss Notice
  5. Want to provide direct feedback to the Unity team? Join the Unity Advisory Panel.
    Dismiss Notice
  6. Improve your Unity skills with a certified instructor in a private, interactive classroom. Watch the overview now.
    Dismiss Notice

Assets Third Person Templates by Invector

Discussion in 'Works In Progress' started by Invector, Aug 20, 2015.

1. magique

magique

I'm seeing an issue with characters failing to move correctly on ramps. I believe this issue has been in the system from the very beginning and is still behaving this way today. Perhaps there is a way to configure the character so this won't happen, but the defaults aren't working. I have made a video showing the issue using the character setup from one of the provided demo scenes to show it happening.

[EDIT]
    I found the issue. For some strange reason the asset I was using was set to a layer other than default. So the grounded checks never allowed the character to be grounded after getting a certain height above the actual floor or terrain. I have no idea why this third party model was using such a strange layer, but it was. After correcting that it works perfectly. Sorry for having brought up a non issue.

Last edited: Jun 19, 2018
    Invector likes this.
  2. Cartoon-Mania

Cartoon-Mania

I saw news about AI in the forum.
    I have two questions.

1) What about mobile performance? How many characters have you tested?

2) You said.

" Another thing that we want to create is a trigger based generic action for the AI."

Will it be included in this AI update? Or is it just a distant future?

3. Invector

Invector

We are currently testing on PC only, but the performance will definitely be a great leap from the previous version.
    The AI actions will not be on this next update, but it will not be on a distant future as well ;)

4. Invector

Invector

5. wood333

wood333

6. DevilCult

DevilCult

I got a weird bug with zooming, when i go in water with swimming addon i can zoom in and out but when im on earth i cant. I tryed adding a debug log into the vThirdPersonCamera and the debug log is showing in console meaning the code goes on but just nothing happen...

My zoom button is checked in camera states, max distance 10, min distance 5, distance 6.

Here is the code that goes fine

Code (CSharp):
    1. if (currentState.useZoom)
    2.             {
    3.                 currentZoom = Mathf.Clamp(currentZoom, currentState.minDistance, currentState.maxDistance);
    4.                 distance = useSmooth ? Mathf.Lerp(distance, currentZoom, lerpState.smoothFollow * Time.deltaTime) : currentZoom;
    5.                 Debug.Log ("Mouse wheel test" + currentZoom);
    6.             }
    i can see the value changing and all just no zoom in and out.. what could it be?

7. TSHIBA3D

TSHIBA3D

Excuse me, I did not understand (explain me the steps to do from the options please)

8. TSHIBA3D

TSHIBA3D

A little disturbance, please, how to make a condition of the script when all the enemies dies after I move to the following scenes?

9. mukki014

mukki014

Hi I'm having problem with swimming addon. When I install the swimming addon with old version of shooter template , consoles show no errors. But while playing demo swimming scene , water fx works fine but character is only doing falling animations. I'm using unity 2017.2. Also try with unity 5.6.1 but still same problem. Any help ? Thank you.

10. Invector

Invector

Not right now, maybe in the future when we release the AI Template ;)

Make sure you checked Use Zoom in the Default CameraState as well.

Sorry, I can only give you some tips on how to do a whip I actually never did one my self :confused:

You need to create a counter that add +1 on each kill, and trigger the loadScene method when reaches the number you want.

Hmm do you have the Swimming sub state machine on your animator controller?

DevilCult likes this.
  11. Invector

Invector

Update 1.2.1 is online in the vStore and AssetStore guys, this update contains several important fixes for the controller and issues with Unity 2018.1 (Please avoid using Beta versions!)

DevilCult likes this.
  12. TSHIBA3D

TSHIBA3D

Ah thank you very much, you had me even to inspire

13. TSHIBA3D

TSHIBA3D

thank you I will try and I come back

14. TSHIBA3D

TSHIBA3D

If you like, Watch my script, how do I have to call the counter that counts the number of enemies, when arriving at the numbers reached and directly it goes to the next scene?
    Code (CSharp):
    1. using UnityEngine;
    2. using System.Collections;
    4. public class ChangeSceneAfterDelayScript : MonoBehaviour {
    6.     public string _nextScene = "";
    8.     public float _delay = 5f;
    10.     public IEnumerator Start()
    11.     {
    12.         yield return new WaitForSeconds(_delay);
    13.         Application.LoadLevel(_nextScene);
    14.     }
    15. }

15. cool234

cool234

I'm not sure if this has been posted on here. But PS4 game pad isnt working correctly using this package, I have the inputs for the PS4 pad correctly, but it will only allow to either move the camera or the character, not both. Any help on this, it seems to work alright on most other 3rd person controllers, even unitys own. But for some reason on this its one or the other.

16. Invector

Invector

If you're using Steam on your computer, quit the application.
    Steam simulates a mouse input using the right analog, which will generate a conflict with the template that verifies change of the input from a controller to mouse to switch the hud display, by shutting steam off it should work just fine.

17. Bruv

Bruv

Is it possible to limit the slide function. When my player goes over a cliff that isn't actually vertical it performs this really silly looking slide down a 70 degree slope. I can't seem to get it to use the fall position. Is there a way to adjust this please?

18. zenGarden

zenGarden

Hi Invector.

Is the new AI coming ? long time it's been discussed, but it's still not realeased. It is getting too difficult ?

If the new AI will take one or more moths to be released and usable i'll go with Behaviour Trees and custom character controllers for AI.

19. Invector

Invector

We actually did new improvements to the Slope and Slide verifications, it should be way better in the next update ;)

It's almost ready to ship, we already posted several news, screenshots, and gifs and you can follow the news in this thread: http://invector.proboards.com/thread/168/official-roadmap-news

zenGarden likes this.
  20. Felinsky

Felinsky

Hello, has anyone same problem as me sincie 1.2.1. shooter version ?
    When I instantiate third person shooter or setting him active to true (from active false), vCamera no longer follows player. I can see player walking, but camera is still in place. It happens to me on TopDownShooter controller character with TopDownInput script on him. Before patch, instantiating and setting active worked well and camera snapped to player immidiatly.
    Thanks for help.

21. TSHIBA3D

TSHIBA3D

Hi, please, how to do when enemies get to enter an area the party is lost?

22. Invector

Invector

Hey guys, some of you are trying to use 2018.1 but it gives the error:

"ArgumentException: Input Axis Horizontal is not set up"

We're not sure why but 2018.1 is not fully importing the template, meaning that you may have to import twice and make sure to select the ProjectSettings which includes the InputManager.

To make your life easier we have added a "vProjectSettings" hidden in the project, just use the search tool in the Project tab to locate and import this package. After importing, everything should work just fine ;)

23. Invector

Invector

Hmm I will take a look in this issue.

I'm sorry, didn't quite get your question...

24. TSHIBA3D

TSHIBA3D

How to make a script? when enemies manage to enter an area the party is lost

25. a-t-hellboy

a-t-hellboy

Hey there,
    I want my character has 2 weapons at the start of the game one melee and another one range. Also it can't pick any weapon (I mean I don't want any inventory or pickup). What should I do ?

26. a-t-hellboy

a-t-hellboy

Another question is how can I limit camera rotation which can't see front face of character. Seems X limitation of camera is in world space. Actually I want to limit camera rotation in head tracking range.

27. Invector

Invector

You could use the ItemManager but disable the Inventory input, this way you can equip 2 weapons and switch between them but you don't need to necessarily open and use the inventory prefab.

That's currently not possible, what you can do is to set the character to StrafeOnly and modify the RotateWithCamera method to rotate the camera with the player

28. Invector

Invector

Right... but what do you mean by 'party is lost'?

29. a-t-hellboy

a-t-hellboy

I want two weapon equipment slots, like shooter UI for displaying weapons, I've tried to use shooter's inventory prefab but unfortunately melee weapon doesn't appear in it and also I can't change my weapon to melee but there isn't any problem for range weapon.

Last edited: Jul 16, 2018
  30. zero_equals_zero

zero_equals_zero

Hi, I love the asset but there some things I can't resolve. After spending quite some time in finding the answers online or through 2 weeks of searching I have to bulk my questions up in this post. Sorry for the list of questions.

A/ I don't have the feeling that sprinting works when using an Xbox controller. I dashed in a high value and i can get nowhere faster than the run speed. I made sure to press the button assigned to run. it works when using keyboard controls.

B/ When the player starts to walk there is no immediate footstep sound. When the player stops walking I can hear a footstep sound and it the legs "sweep" into the idle position. It's very clear in all demo's.

C/ How to rotate the character to the enemies during lock on? when I attack my enemies I often stand with my back to the enemies. It would be much cleaner when the character rotates to its target at all time.

D/ Is there an example for ranged AI? Bow & arrow for example? All I see is melee based AI.
    Can Ai climb ladders, jump over obstacles /step up obstacles just like the player character does. I am having a hard time getting it to work.

E/ How to set up the inventory so it's accessible with the joysticks, not the arrow keys on the Xbox controller?

F/ For the camera occlusion: What or where would be the best way to make sure the camera is always framing the character? Right now the chance is actually pretty high that the character is not visible when the camera goes into occlusion mode. This is especially true with some smaller corridors. I don't not use camera triggers as it's not something for my game.

Please find this suggestion:

Would it be possible to refactor the code to virtual methods so in future updates I am not doomed with my 101 mods? I think we all can benefit from that. I am actually surprised that an asset of this caliber doesn't do this by default. (no bad words, just a sustainability question)

Again my apologies for the questions, but people like me rely on assets to make a hobby game, hence the questions.

Cheers for your patience and expert advice on my questions.

Last edited: Jul 18, 2018
  31. TSHIBA3D

TSHIBA3D

Excuse me, rather the game is lost when the enemies enters an area ??

32. Invector

Invector

In this case, you will need to customize the Inventory Prefab, take a look at the EquipArea object... there you can change the ItemType to Shooter, Melee or Archery.

Oh boy... wall of text :eek:... just kidding, let's see...

A- Are you sure you're pressing the correct input? by default for the joystick you need to press the LeftAnalog Stick.
    B- You can always adjust the sphere collider in the feet, it also depends a lot of the animation.
    C- The Lock-On already does that... make sure that your Lock-On component has the "Strafe While LockOn" option checked.
    D- We have a pretty simple AI that comes with the Melee Combat Template as a bonus, so it's pretty limited to what it can do, more focused on melee combat. We just develop a AI Template and it's currently at the Beta, you can check it here> https://forum.unity.com/threads/w-i-p-ai-template-by-invector.540128/
    E- You mean the analogs right? hmm you will need to customize the inputs... we're using the EventSystem with the component Standalone Input Module to navigate between Unity's UI, you can try replacing the "Horizontal" and "Vertical" to "LeftAnalogHorizontal" and RightAnalogHorizontal", but I'm not sure it will work out of the box without any mods.
    F- Go to your camera state and change the Culling Height value

About your suggestion, sure thing! we're slowing changing some methods to virtual, is there a specific one that you need?

Oh... you can use the SimpleTrigger component to call a GameOver screen when a object with tag/layer enters a box collider trigger.

33. Invector

Invector

Check the latest news about the AI Template [HERE]

Weblox likes this.
  34. a-t-hellboy

a-t-hellboy

Thank you very much. It works.

Another 2 question:
    1. How can I disable punching ? Because when I change my weapon or I want to use hip functionality after punching they happen.
    2. When I aim by bow, the position is not correct. How can I change it ?
    Update: For the last question, I figured out the reason, because bow is in his right hand which it must be in left hand but I don't know how to change it.

Last edited: Jul 20, 2018
  35. TSHIBA3D

TSHIBA3D

here I tried to make a counter, but there is an error message on the console: error CS0246: The type or namespace name `GameObeject 'could not be found. Are you missing an assembly reference?
    Code (CSharp):
    1. using System.Collections;
    2. using System.Collections.Generic;
    3. using UnityEngine;
    4. using UnityEngine.UI;
    6. public class Mission : MonoBehaviour {
    8.     public int NbEnemy = 0;
    9.     private Text Txtinfos;
    10.     private GameObject[] EnemyTab;
    12.     // Use this for initialization
    13.     void Start () {
    14.         Txtinfos = GameObject.Find("Txtinfos").GetComponent<Text>();
    16.         // Compte Enemy
    17.         EnemyTab = GameObject.FindGameObjectsWithTag("EnemyAI");
    19.         foreach( GameObeject Enemy in EnemyTab)
    20.         {
    21.             NbEnemy += 1;
    22.         }
    24.         TxtInfos.text = "Enemy : " + NbEnemy;
    26.     }
    28.     // Update is called once per frame
    29.     void Update ()
    30.     {
    31.         if(NbEnemy==0)
    32.         {
    33.             Txtinfos.text = "Mission Accomplie....";
    34.         }
    35.     }
    36. }

how to solve problem?

36. Cartoon-Mania

Cartoon-Mania

I know you are making version 3. Can you give us more information about version 3?

Last edited: Aug 1, 2018
  37. ExedysDigital

ExedysDigital

When playing the melee demo with a controller connected the camera is continously spinning around and only stops spinning after locking onto an enemy. How do I stop this? I'm using a PS4 controller but using an xbox 360 controller emulator.

38. magique

magique

I've added a companion AI to my scene and it follows the player around. However, when it gets to a step up object, it does not step up and continue to follow. I've tried the step up with and without Auto Action checked and neither works. I also have off mesh links generated on the nav mesh. Is there something else that has to be done to get the AI to perform the step up?

[EDIT]
    I've also added MeleeManager to the companion AI, but it doesn't attack enemy targets. My enemies are currently Emerald AI and they attack the player and can be attacked and killed by the player.

Last edited: Aug 18, 2018
  39. Invector

Invector

If you remove the punching animations nothing will happen.
    Check the bow align video tutorial, it's pretty simple to align a weapon left or right hand ;)

GameObeject is spelled wrong, it's GameObject

wut? I think you're mistaking with another asset, we're far from version 3.

There is your problem ;)

The Emerald AI needs a vHealthController in order for the AI identify as a living target.
    Also, check here: http://invector.proboards.com/thread/1706/official-emerald-ai-2-integration

40. magique

magique

41. Invector

Invector

Right, the AI currently doesn't support Generic Actions yet on this Beta release.

42. magique

magique

OK, I'll have to work around that for now. Thanks for the info.

43. Invector

Invector

tharindu already manage to implement in the forum

magique likes this.
  44. Mikki

Mikki

Hi. why my Damage Receiver on AI disappeared evry time i close Unity ? im using Unity 2018.2.0f2

45. b1gry4n

b1gry4n

is there any reason why the top down version of the controller does not come with built in functionality for the bow? having some trouble getting the bow to work with the top down controller and im not really sure what the issue is. seems as though i can equip the bow but i cant aim or fire it, while all the other weapons/guns work fine

46. Invector

Invector

That's a good question... perhaps 2018.x bug? I've never experienced that in 2017 or 5.6.2

The vTopDownShooterInput is not prepared yet for left hand weapons, actually it's just missing a few verifications.
    I will fix that and post the solution here for you later ;)

47. DanBanner

DanBanner

On the Shooter system, is there a way to bypass Aiming and go directly to Scope view?

My aim is to make the shooting a little more player friendly, most people I've tested the Invector demo scene with don't like the current setup as the crosshair movs all over the place. I know it's acurate from the muzzle of each gun, it's just not player friendly. Another option would be to force the projectiles to come from the camera like a FPS. Is this possible?
    I've tried to get the muzzle of the pistol to be locked to the camera position, but that isn't working as expected. I also tried an offset, but that breaks when I climb on a horse (I'm using HAP3).

EDIT: I've (sort of) fixed this. My problem was with the default pistol. The other guns seamed to aim a lot better so I simply copied the Assult Rifle and used that as the default for new new pistol and changed the settings to suit. Which works well. I'm not sure why the default pistol was so far out though.

My preferred solution would be to have the projectiles launch from the camera location like a FPS if possible. But if not, going directly to scope view instead of aiming first would be great.

Any suggestions?

I'm also getting a weird event where the camera is stuck inside my players head and I have to stand next to a building and rotate until the camera detects the wall and moves further away from the player to reset it.

Last edited: Sep 19, 2018
  48. jnbbender

jnbbender

I am using this asset as a simple locomotion asset simply because as a third person controller it is definitely one of the best. I would love to save some cycles by not doing any Health or Stamina processing. I realize I can set MaxStamina to 101, StaminaRecovery to 100, and StaminaReduction(?) to 0. But is there a way I can save the processing all together? Same idea with Health. I don't plan on my character dying.

49. Invector

Invector

You will need a small modification in 2 scripts to allow scope view aiming by default.
    First open the vShooterWeapon and add a public bool onlyUseScopeUIView variable.

Now in the vShooterMeleeInput search for the ScopeViewInput() method, and replace to

Code (CSharp):
    1.  protected virtual void ScopeViewInput()
    2.         {
    3.             if (!shooterManager || CurrentWeapon == null) return;
    5.             if (isAiming && aimConditions && (scopeViewInput.GetButtonDown() || CurrentWeapon.onlyUseScopeUIView))
    6.             {
    7.                 if (controlAimCanvas && CurrentWeapon.scopeTarget)
    8.                 {
    9.                     isUsingScopeView = CurrentWeapon.onlyUseScopeUIView ? true : !isUsingScopeView;
    10.                     controlAimCanvas.SetActiveScopeCamera(isUsingScopeView, CurrentWeapon.useUI);
    11.                 }
    12.             }
    13.             else if (controlAimCanvas && !isAiming || controlAimCanvas && !aimConditions || cc.isRolling)
    14.             {
    15.                 isUsingScopeView = false;
    16.                 controlAimCanvas.SetActiveScopeCamera(false);
    17.             }
    18.         }
    Now just enable the option onlyUseScopeUIView in your weapon ;)

You can simple assign the value of 0 to the stamina consumptions and don't apply any damage to the player

50. Invector

Invector

Hey guys, we're trying a new Online Documentation for the Third Person Templates as well :)
    Take a quick look to see if you guys like it, and what you would like to see with more details here:

www.invector.xyz/thirdpersondocumentation

There is also a Search Tool to quickly find the information you're looking for ;)

Luistrotamundos and sjm-tech like this.