Search Unity

Controller Third Person Templates by Invector

Discussion in 'Tools In Progress' started by Invector, Aug 20, 2015.

1. RonnyDance

RonnyDance

I hope this includes something like RPG Combat which can be modified for every action by the customer. Since your are talking about Dark Souls, the Witcher etc. a combat system like this would be good.
    Something like Left Mouse attacking Right Mouse Shield Blocking, doing stuff on numbers 1-9, Double tap on left for dodge to left etc. This would be really amazing and is missing in my opinion.
    It would be pretty awesome if it would be possible to create a combat system with your template that is unique for every customer by letting the customer decide which action should be used on what button.
    A good combat system is more important then an Enemy AI System in my opinion. You can find already pretty good enemy Ais in the Store like ICE Creature Control.

Btw because lot of people are complaining about the full project issue.
    Perhaps you can do it like UBER. It has two unitypackage Files that need to be imported. This is working perfect in full projects. So perhaps you can make it similar so people with big projects can just import your project without problems.

Last edited: Oct 15, 2015
  2. jayimagination

jayimagination

Great, can you at least say if the shooter will be out before the year is out or maybe early next year..Just really looking forward to it! :)

Last edited: Oct 15, 2015
  3. Sphelps

Sphelps

Would this work for UMA

4. Invector

Invector

The ClimbLadder State is control by the Speed value, you can simple make it a blendtree and add left/right clips and control with the Direction value ;)

We will implement Basic Combat animations in v1.2, nothing complex as the DS combat, but a starting point for people to make they own mechanics, the main ideia was always to delivery the basic stuff with quality for people to create their own games, more unique games.

It's hard to say man, we have already so much stuff to do and so little time :(
    As soon as I finish college (dez) and Jorge manage to get out of his job, we will have much more time to develop, let's hope sales continue the way is going :p

As long the character is a rigged Humanoid, I think it works just fine :)

5. jayimagination

jayimagination

Yeah I hope so even if it's the first quarter of 2016, it would be great Just wanna make sure I'm prepared and have the money before it comes out :) Also if you decide to do a early adopter version, plz lemme know :D

Also is the first person state like this @ 1:55 point in this video or how the game is by default?

A shooter addon request aiming shoulder switching like MGS like this:

Thanks, for the replies!

6. Karmate

Karmate

Any plan for unroot movement system ? It is hard to find root animations.

7. Invector

Invector

@jayimagination don't worry dude, the price will be less then the template itself, and yes.. is a assistence aiming just like MGS V ;)

root motion works way better, and it's pretty simple to add root motion in non root motion animations, just move the root and bake the animation. Btw, take a look at the [Mixamo] website, all animations (excellent quality), models and auto-rigs are Free :eek:

jayimagination likes this.
  8. giraffe1

giraffe1

Looks great. Can't wait to see the what the AI enemy movement will look like.

kurotatsu likes this.
  9. kurotatsu

kurotatsu

I'd like to see the systems for the playable character knocked out first personally, but it's not a large stretch to take a good system like this and make an AI for it.lol

That will be cool to see in action. Imagine AI that chase you and can climb walls and ladders to get to you! That would be sweet, and if these guys make some of the triggers work on contact, instead of using an activator button, it's totally possible.

10. Karmate

Karmate

I have some generic models. so , i can't use mixamo or other bipedal animations.

<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
    I am trying to export your system to rigidbody movement. I stuck on movement system according to camera.
    Code (CSharp):
    1. using UnityEngine;
    2. using System.Collections;
    3. using UnityStandardAssets.CrossPlatformInput;
    5. public class Player : MonoBehaviour
    6. {
    7.     public TPCamera tpCamera;
    8.     Vector2 input;
    9.     Rigidbody rigid;
    10.     public float moveSpeed;
    11.     float speed, direction;
    12.     Quaternion _rotation;
    14.     void Start ()
    15.     {
    16.         rigid = GetComponent<Rigidbody> ();
    17.     }
    19.     void LateUpdate ()
    20.     {
    21.         CameraInput ();
    22.     }
    24.     void CameraInput ()
    25.     {
    26.         #if MOBILE_INPUT
    27.         tpCamera.mouseX += CrossPlatformInputManager.GetAxis ("Mouse X") * tpCamera.X_MouseSensitivity;
    28.         tpCamera.mouseY -= CrossPlatformInputManager.GetAxis ("Mouse Y") * tpCamera.Y_MouseSensitivity;
    29.         #else
    30.         tpCamera.mouseX += Input.GetAxis ("Mouse X") * tpCamera.X_MouseSensitivity;
    31.         tpCamera.mouseY -= Input.GetAxis ("Mouse Y") * tpCamera.Y_MouseSensitivity;
    32.         #endif
    33.         tpCamera.mouseY = Helper.ClampAngle (tpCamera.mouseY, tpCamera.Y_MinLimit, tpCamera.Y_MaxLimit);
    34.         tpCamera.mouseX = Helper.ClampAngle (tpCamera.mouseX, tpCamera.X_MinLimit, tpCamera.X_MaxLimit);
    35.     }
    37.     void FixedUpdate ()
    38.     {
    39.         ControllerInput ();
    40.         ControlLocomotion ();
    41.     }
    43.     void ControllerInput ()
    44.     {
    45.         #if MOBILE_INPUT
    46.         input = new Vector2(CrossPlatformInputManager.GetAxis("Horizontal"), CrossPlatformInputManager.GetAxis("Vertical"));
    47.         #else
    48.         input = new Vector2 (Input.GetAxis ("Horizontal"), Input.GetAxis ("Vertical"));
    49.         #endif
    50.         input.Normalize ();
    51.     }
    53.     void ControlLocomotion ()
    54.     {
    56. //Not sure is this a good solution to rotate ???
    57.         if (input != Vector2.zero)
    58.         {
    59.             _rotation = Quaternion.LookRotation(targetDirection, Vector3.up);
    61.             Vector3 lookDirection = targetDirection.normalized;
    62.             _rotation = Quaternion.LookRotation(lookDirection);
    63.             rigid.rotation = Quaternion.Slerp(transform.rotation, _rotation, rotationSpeed);
    64.         }
    66.         //Move Character with rigidbody according to camera ignoring y
    67.     }
    69.     Vector3 targetDirection {
    70.         get {
    71.             Vector3 cameraForward = tpCamera.transform.TransformDirection (Vector3.forward);
    72.             cameraForward.y = 0;    //set to 0 because of camera rotation on the X axis
    74.             //get the right-facing direction of the camera
    75.             Vector3 cameraRight = tpCamera.transform.TransformDirection (Vector3.right);
    77.             // determine the direction the player will face based on input and the camera's right and forward directions
    78.             Vector3 refDir = input.x * cameraRight + input.y * cameraForward;
    79.             return refDir;
    80.         }
    81.     }
    82. }
    When i move from back of character, everything is ok. But when i look from top of character (top-down), character don't move (trying to go down). Anyone help please.

Last edited: Oct 16, 2015
  11. Invector

Invector

@Karmate I tested your script here and apparently is working correctly (just missing a variable rotationSpeed and missing a * Time.deltaTime on line 63), the character is rotating, maybe the error is when you actually move the character, can you post the method that make your character move? Also, make sure that you are moving your character in his forward direction, not the camera direction.

ps* I know it's silly lol, but also make sure that you rigidbody have the constrains with freeze rotation

Last edited: Oct 16, 2015
  12. Karmate

Karmate

This is what i looking for :) Thank you.
    Code (CSharp):
    1. rigid.velocity = transform.forward * speed * moveSpeed;
    I have 2 questions.
    - I am using FixedUpdate to move character. Should i use Time.deltaTime ?
    - To rotate character which one is better. rigid.rotate or transform.rotate ?

13. Invector

Invector

No worrys :)

1 - In FixedUpdate you can use Time.fixedDeltaTime and Time.deltaTime on Update
    2 - I think is best to rotate directly the transform, a least I never see anybody rotate objects with rigibody o_O - but who knows lol give a shot and see if works for you

Karmate likes this.
  14. ISH_the_Creator

ISH_the_Creator

lol whats harder

coder learning to animate and rig

or

an animator and rigger learning how to code?

PS rigging, ik and fk, constants, pole vector and humanik is a must to animate freely.

kurotatsu likes this.
  15. kurotatsu

kurotatsu

I'm an artist that has become a coder, the key to me was to see code as a new medium, it is an art form all it's own, once you embrace that you will find the same flow, and pleasure in doing it..;)

I now enjoy writing and extending systems as much as creating charaters, and objects, and anims.

16. Hendoagogo

Hendoagogo

Great asset by the way, good luck with your future plans. I'll up vote for some PLaymaker support for your 3rd party future plans. and some enemy creation/system.

While on that subject, has any one had luck hooking up the Health UI that comes with this in through playmaker? I'm new to playmaker so still working on it but if any one has a vid would be awesome.

17. Jenovah

Jenovah

I second this as there is no decent solution on the asset store for basic melee combat. I'll be picking this up regarless as it already looks pretty awesome.

18. ISH_the_Creator

ISH_the_Creator

I so agree, I have some udemy tuts as well as digital tutors membership. Would recommend any good C# training materials.

THX

kurotatsu likes this.
  19. carlosrovira

carlosrovira

Hi, just decided to enter this template since it looks the way to go. Great asset! :)

I jumped to the wagon, but I know the asset is not 100% suited for my needs, but hope my purchase will be of help to bring new updates with things I need.

I think I could list here that things:

- People already asked for Playmaker integration, so +1 here
    - As well Adventure Creator Integration. Here's a tutorial and I'll try to follow up to see if this asset could be used as well: http://www.adventurecreator.org/tutorials/adding-custom-motion-controller
    - Apart from Jump, Climb Ladder, I need PUSH/PULL Cubes or blocks.

Other things (less important, but important as well! ;)):

- Just imported this asset in my project and seems to have many surrounded files that maybe could be cleared from the package (image effects, shaders, project settings,...)...are all of this needed? could this be cleaned? (I get red errors for some files telling me I already have some of the files, so I think it's not.

Now I'll get my hands dirty to see how I can integrate with my own game...hope this could be possible!

Thanks!

20. kurotatsu

kurotatsu

I enjoy seeing how things work, and take the next step.

The key is the ability to break things into their smallest parts. Don't focus on the game at all, pick a single element you want to add, and google/youtube, or even look at a script that contains a similar element and pluck out only the part that interests you into a fresh script, then take that element 1 step further.

Example:
    1. Look for a health example/tutorial, you need a variable that represents your health, so add an int.

2. Then you need a visual representation of it on screen. Look up GUI health.(this will teach you GUI positioning, and such.).

3. Then you need to subtract it so add an ApplyDamage function......
    4.Ect....

Now getting to my point, you now have a working health script. So what, you might think, but here is where the real learning comes in.

Extend it:

Go to your GUI, and make it so it adjusts, to fit the screen, rather then just be the same hard coded size.

Do the research and you will discover screen.width, and screen.height now use them in your draw texture of your GUI that way and it will adjust no mater the resolution.

Ect.

Reuse your code!

Now that you have that, you now have access to new elements using the same code doing different things, a MP bar, ok that's easy, but take your new code and make a bar that charges up over time as a button is held down.

This is my method, reverse engineering existing systems and taking the next step.

I learned about property drawers by looking at Advanced AI, then started adding them to my scripts.
    I learned about Editor Scripting with that and looking at other systems, just wanting to add a picture to the top of my scripts in the inspector, and using sliders in my scripts for floats, and ranges, like theirs.

Pick the one single task or element you want to do, and actually research it, that is a lost skill, but 3 things will always come to pass:

1. You will stumble onto something that you weren't looking for, but find a way to add, and use.

2. You will understand the code you wrote, and had to debug from your simple mistakes, and have it to add to other systems you want to add later.

3. You gain the ability to find answers faster and implement them as your research methods improve, to where you will be adding and writing new element/s on the fly, and have your own scripts you know back to front to pull methods and code from.

So in essence focus on the single task, and learn to research, not how to program. That is where an artist's out of the box thinking shines.

I tend to drone on, but this has been my method. Hope it helps.

21. jayimagination

jayimagination

22. xxhaissamxx

xxhaissamxx

how to make default cam rotate player like aim

23. Invector

Invector

Yes, we did this prototype and today is waaaaaay better then this old stuff :p

You could simple comment the method AimInput on the HandleInput (ThirdPersonController script) and make it aiming = true (just a example, there is several ways to do it), if you not want any freedirectional movement at all, you can simple remove the animation inside the Locomotion state on the Controller, and replace to Cross type animation, and remove the method that verify if you are in freelocomotion or aiming locomotion on the method ControlLocomotion (ThirdPersonAnimator). :)

jayimagination likes this.
  24. Invector

Invector

We are taking notes on what 3rd party asset you guys want integration :)

Image effects and shaders it's ok to not import, the package is still work, but Project Settings is very importante since it handles stuff like Layers and Tags, so a lot of stuff will stop work if it's using the wrong layer, for example.

25. ISH_the_Creator

ISH_the_Creator

Yeh I was on the same path. Its refreshing to here this than just learn how to program. I was doing this when I started, I have a long way to go but progress is coming along.

Since I can animate and rig the scripting is my focus.

Thx agian friend. :)

26. Invector

Invector

@relacon Udemy is basically giving away this course about how to code, 95% OFF if you are interested, it looks very good to learn the basics :) [Link]

ISH_the_Creator likes this.
  27. dansta2k

dansta2k

Hello Invector

I followed your instructional video for adding a jump animation however it seems that right at the peak of the idle jump the motion stutters slightly, where as this point in your video it does not stutter at all. Also to add it looks absolutely fine in the animation preview window. I also shrunk the resolution massively to ensure that the game was not lagging and I have tried 30fps and 60fps animations.

Do you have any ideas or thoughts?

28. jameaterblues

jameaterblues

Hi Invector! I know you guys are already working on new features and there have been a ton more requested but there is something missing from the 3rd person market that I really need.

I was just wondering if you had any plans to implement a bow and arrow weapon type where the projectile becomes more powerful as you draw back and sticks to the object that it hits.
    I'm looking for a third person bow & arrow setup. If you added something even just a framework this would be a definite purchase for me.

Here is an example of what I'm looking for:

Thanks for all your hard work! You guys are awesome, I'll end up buying the controller anyway because it's such a good deal.

Invector likes this.
  29. Invector

Invector

It seem to be a transition problem, make sure to follow every step in the video, also make sure to rounded float values of the exit time both in the animation and code, they need to have the same value.

But you don't need to worry about jump, we already make a jump feature kind of different and better then the video tutorial, and it's comming in the next update :)

That's a veeeeery nice video, kind of funny to see her with 300 arrows lol
    It's a pretty cool feature to have indeed, no promisses but we will add into the request features list :)

30. kurotatsu

kurotatsu

It
    It's been around a week.;), how close is it man I need to get testing.

31. Invector

Invector

Holy Sh*** that was quick :eek:

We are very determined to post this update for you guys to play around!
    Just finish a new ground detection that is waaaay better then the previous, the character feels even more solid to play, and we are testing a very nice collision detection by sides, top, down, front, left, right, back, it's pretty cool because you can trigger different animations to knockback the player! :p - But this one is not comming in this next update, it's still experimental, but very promising!

Anyways, it's only ~2.5 weeks since we launched and this update will come with a looot of new features and improvements, We hope that you guys liked :D, we wanna finish everything by tomorrow and friday, then it's just the AssetStore approve and it's on, everyone who contact us by email will receive a email with the changelog of this update!

32. lofwyre

lofwyre

Hi Invector

Will be purchasing shortly for sure, looking very good. Can you please keep things separated so that if we are not integrating 3rd party apps and don't need combat in our games we wont need to have that configured in the controller. Also if doing our own integrations it would be good not to have to first pull out the code that is there.

Also zooming the 3rd person camera until it becomes first person would be handy, any plans for something like that?

Cheers

33. Steel-Grin

Steel-Grin

It'd be cool to set up a roadmap on Trello.com or something. You guys can list features and third party integrations that have been suggested on the forums and then people can vote for which ones they want to see next. Might make things easier for you guys!

34. Invector

Invector

We are developing as open and modular possible, to be really a start point for you guys :)
    Not so sure about First Person view, but the Zoom is already implemented in the camera

We always used Trello, great tool indeed! -and the most requested features and integrations are already in a list :)

35. Hendoagogo

Hendoagogo

Hi. Is there no way to create a character with this and import it to a project? if not, calling this a Template is not the best description for this asset. I thought I would be able to create a character to use in a game not build a game around the 3rd person controller and built in gui. I hope i"m missing something here, also there is no documentation for the built in gui? thanks for any feedback.

36. Invector

Invector

Hey @Hendoagogo, sorry if we were not clear in the announcement, but it says "With this Locomotion template, you have a starting point to make any type of 3rd Person Game" and it is on the Complete Projects section of the AssetStore, by complete project we mean a project that already ships with a custom Input Manager, Tags&Layers and other projects settings, just like any complete project on the AssetStore. Before import the pack, Unity also warns that is recommended to import in a clean project.

If your issues is related with Tags or Layers, we only use just a few of then, so you can import the template and uncheck those two, and add manually in your list, but the InputManager is kind of painful to manually fill, so we recommend to keep this one check.

Here is a list to help you,
    Tags:
    - JumpOver
    - ClimbUp
    - StepUp
    - ExitLadderTop
    - ExitLadderBottom
    - EnterLadderBottom
    - EnterLadderTop
    - AutoCrouch

Layers:
    - Triggers
    - StopMove
    - Player

About the HUD, we ship with a pretty simple hud, basic stuff and it's all drag'n drop stuff and open for customization.

37. Invector

Invector

We will post the update this sunday for the AssetStore review :)

Here is the new Debug Mode with visual assistence, all editable in playmode

And here the scene updated with little "V" collectables and Ladders!

2.5D Scene

+ Isometric and Topdown demo scene will also be included

38. Hendoagogo

Hendoagogo

I guess it was just my mistake, I did not see the complete project, because I didn't search under complete projects, I searched for a third person controller. It's very frustrating wasting so much money on the asset store all the time. Maybe you should put "Complete Project" in giant letters instead of "Third Person Controller Template".

Thanks anyway, it's a great "Complete Project" if you want to play around in the environment the developers made, not so great if your looking to use the controller in a game your developing for your self.

Thanks for your prompt reply.

39. Invector

Invector

No worries, but I don't see why you can't use your game, just need some adaptation try export your environments in a prefab and import on the template, the most difficult thing is to develop a controller, once you have it, just work around the compatiblity issues.

40. kurotatsu

kurotatsu

I warned of this early on man, and gave all the suggestions that would save this headache.

There's not one developer who has a decent game in development who is going to start from scratch and re-import their entire project on top of one they just bought looking for a locomotion and camera system.

Here's the shakedown for most of us in this position:

Now that I know the issues, I'm still willing to open this in a fresh project in Unity, export the few components I need, and make a list of the Layers you use. I'll be using InControl, so I'll make the changes in the scripts myself as I showed in the e-mails I sent is possible.

If the layers are hard coded into certain layer slots, I will go into the code and make them work around where I want them.

And once I go through all that, and have it working decent will probably, not download any further updates regardless of what's added.

I say none of this to be cruel, and have been nothing but supportive, and still am in reality, but I need you guys to understand the way that this AWESOME group of systems hinders development because of the non-modular approach.

Anyone who has been using unity for any measure of time, will be used to reading in the readme file, or the docs.pdf which layers they need to add and where.

If ya take the time to read some of my earlier posts, and implement some of the modular suggestions, this asset may grow unhindered by this small hurdle which will plague you until most likely out of frustration people just quit buying it, or want their money back.

It is healthy for an asset to evolve and become what is needed by it's customers sometimes over what it was first intended in the early stages, all the best assets evolve in the same way.

All that said, keep up the great work guys,

Dan
    Kurotatsu Studios

Edit:

I mean really how hard is it to add variables like this:

public LayerMask climbUp;

This would give you the list of existing layers for your developers to choose which they want to use, so what if there is some set up involved, we are used to it.

Last edited: Oct 25, 2015
    jasonMcintosh likes this.
  41. hopeful

hopeful

@Invector - Just a reminder, but you'll keep getting irate people who don't understand what a "complete package" is ... basically forever. Best to re-write the demo so the package can be moved to the Scripting area of the store.

The funny thing is, the longer you wait on this, the more of your current customers you'll have complaining when you finally do make the switch. They'll say, "Hey, the new version doesn't work!" because they have grown to expect the project will set everything up for them. Then you'll have to provide support about how to set up the input, tags, and layers properly. ;)

42. jasonMcintosh

jasonMcintosh

I have to agree strongly with this.

You won't have to provide customer support to those who don't know how to set it up if you include example scenes.

Besides, hardcoded values are a bad practice by any measure, especially in a generalized system meant to be used in a variety of scenarios.

kurotatsu and hopeful like this.
  43. Invector

Invector

Ok guys, don't worry we will remove the "1 click and play" feature... the ideia was always to help you guys, and make the process easier, but if is not working, we can always improve.

kurotatsu likes this.
  44. kurotatsu

kurotatsu

Now we are talking. You just proved you guys are a step up, and in a higher category than many asset developers on the store, and want you to know that!;)

This shows that not only does your asset mean something to you, but so do we.

Thank you, sincerely,

jasonMcintosh and Invector like this.
  45. mensch-mueller

mensch-mueller

But I really like this "click and play"! I bought your asset for simply setup a locomotion in no time! I think it is easier for people who already know more, to tailor this system. But i´m really opened for a system, which fits all needs.

Cheers
    Michael

46. Invector

Invector

No worries @mensch.mueller , you just need to change the layer of the character from Default to Player or any other layer that you have in your project, also in the Inspector set up the StopMove Layer(Default + StopMove) and Ground Layer(Default), It is still very easy and quick to do :)

47. Invector

Invector

* CHANGELOG V1.1 *

Here you go guys, full changelog of the v1.1 now we just wait till the AssetStore approve, everybody who contact us by email will receive a notification :D

SingularitySystems likes this.
  48. longroadhwy

longroadhwy

I think Rewired supports more controllers than InControl. Especially greater variety for those who like to use joysticks instead of keyboard and mouse.

http://guavaman.com/projects/rewired/docs/SupportedControllers.html

@Invector

Is Rewired integration on your roadmap? I have seen several mentions of Rewired in the thread but did not know of the current integration status.

Steel-Grin likes this.
  49. ISH_the_Creator

ISH_the_Creator

thx for the input

kurotatsu likes this.
  50. Invector

Invector

Update v1.1 is on guys :)
    Make sure to backup your current project and import the update on a new Project!