Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

Controller Third Person Templates by Invector

Discussion in 'Tools In Progress' started by Invector, Aug 20, 2015.

1. Invector

Invector

Hey guys

This is the tech demo we created to see how we could improve the workflow when creating and modifying characters, weapons & AI using the Shooter Template. We did this tech demo very quickly, about 1 day of work and most of the time I was just messing around to make the scene look good, this means that I add and edit the characters very quickly. There is 3 zombies in the scene, all using different animators.

This is the first tech demo, we willl also create another showing the Shooter & Melee.
    You can [DOWNLOAD - 129mb] and play to experience what the template is capable with just a few hours into it.

I can't put the hole project for download, but it was all build with free assets that you can find here:

Modular Warehouse: www.assetstore.unity3d.com/en/#/content/3439
    Bodyguard: www.assetstore.unity3d.com/en/#/content/31711
    Zombies & animations: www.mixamo.com
    Extra Textures: share.allegorithmic.com/

ps* keep in mind that this was build in less then 1 day, so small bugs are likely to happen.

magique and julianr like this.
  2. drewradley

drewradley

When my player goes into IK for aiming, the arms twist really awkwardly. Is there a way to ease it in more from the right rather than straight up?
    edit: I changed the animations and that helps but it would still be nice to be able to adjust the "ease in and out" of the IK positioning if that is even possible to do.
    BadIK.png

Last edited: Mar 31, 2017
  3. Invector

Invector

@drewradley take a look into this 2 tutorials:

The first time you create a character the IK will always be off, you need to adjust the defaultEquipPoint and the IK Rotation/Position Offset on the ShooterManager.

4. drewradley

drewradley

I've watched them both multiple times. I guess my problem was more an animation problem than anything since replacing all the animations with ones made for the model worked.

5. drewradley

drewradley

I'm further expanding my ORK integration and am working on a simple way to keep track of the number of bullets left in the gun and this is what I came up with. It's still a work in progress but can you tell me if I am on the right track?
    Code (CSharp):
    1.  void Update()
    2.     {
    3.         if (gun != null)
    4.         {
    5.             currAmmo= gun.ammoCount;
    7.             Debug.Log(currAmmo);
    8.         }
    9.     }
    10.     void OnEnable()
    11.     {
    12.         if (PlayerPrefs.HasKey(UID))
    13.         {
    14.             currAmmo = PlayerPrefs.GetInt(UID);
    16.             if (gun == null)
    17.             {
    18.                 gun = GetComponent<vShooterWeapon>();
    19.             }
    20.             int shotsFired = gun.clipSize - currAmmo;
    21.             gun.AddAmmo(-shotsFired);
    22.            //Debug.Log(gun.clipSize-currAmmo);
    23.         }
    24.     }
    25.     void OnDisable()
    26.     {
    27.         if (UID != null)
    28.         {
    29.             PlayerPrefs.SetInt(UID, currAmmo);
    30.         }
    31.     }

I'll change them to ORK variables when I feel pretty certain it won't cause other issues with the shooter controller.

Malbers likes this.
  6. fluidImages

fluidImages

One minor issue..(for shooter)

On a mac, when you aim, you cannot actually shoot because for some reason mouse0 cannot be pressed while mouse1 is.

Sean

7. MarcusValerius

MarcusValerius

Trying out the free version of Basic Locomotion, and want to add a simple knockback to the player when he is hit by a rigidbody projectile. However, the vThirdPersonController script seems to completely block off all influence on the player's Rigidbody component. A proper knockback only happens when I deactivate the Controller script.
    Is there a special way I can add force to the player's Rigidbody as intended by Invector?

8. Invector

Invector

Hmmm that's odd since 99% of the shooter I know use thi scheme... did you manage to find a workaround? we don't have a mac here to test it

You could simple use rigibody.addForce & OnTriggerEnter, for example:

Code (CSharp):
    1. private void OnTriggerEnter(Collider other)
    2.     {
    3.         if(other.gameObject.CompareTag("Player"))
    4.         {
    5.             var _rigidbody = other.gameObject.GetComponent<Rigidbody>();
    6.             if (_rigidbody)
    7.                 _rigidbody.AddForce(-other.transform.forward * 999f * Time.deltaTime, ForceMode.VelocityChange);          
    8.         }      
    9.     }

9. Invector

Invector

Last edited: Apr 17, 2017
    LudiKha and Malbers like this.
  10. Invector

Invector

darknubis365 and TeagansDad like this.
  11. NevarrBlue

NevarrBlue

I'm having a compatibility issue with shooter template and the Ice creature controller.It seems to have a conflicting variable. I'll have to check when i get back on the exact variable.

Thanks in advance

12. Invector

Invector

Pit did a integration and he will release on his next ICE update ;) let's wait to see how it works

13. Invector

Invector

Hey guys!

If you just purchase the Shooter Template, hit play to see the Mobile demo scene and face this weird behaviour, don't worry.. I'm not sure why but Unity 5.6.0f3 is causing this strange behaviour only at the VBOT2.0_MOBILE model.
    ps* it's working fine on previous versions of Unity.

If you replace to another model, it should work just fine :)
    We will re-rig this model for the next update to fix the issue.

14. wood333

wood333

We were attempting to work with your TPC and Inventory Pro, but encountered over ten red console warnings. When we asked @jorisshh about this, he replied that you were aware of the issue, and that you (he said "Teles") were working on a fix. What is the status of the fix? Is it a temporary or permanent fix, or an integration? Will it be included in your next release?

With ICE 1.4 coming out with an integration with ITPC, the most significant integration that remains to be crafted is ITPC with Inventory Pro. The inventory weapons can be placed into the hand by Inventory Pro, and recognized by ITPC for the purpose of damage to ITPC NPCs and ICE creatures. We've already experimented with this using @drewradley scripts, but they were created for ORK, and we are keeping our hopes up for an official ITPC\Inventory Pro integration. Please say yes.

15. jorisshh

jorisshh

Just to clarify, this is about the ScriptableObjectUtility not being namespaced, which causes a conflict with all Devdog assets.

TeagansDad and wood333 like this.
  16. wood333

wood333

we aren't programmers, but in an earlier version of the melee TPC asset we successfully used Inventory Pro to place a sword into an @Invector controller PC's hand, then with @drewradley scripts had TPC recognize the sword. It was pretty cool to see! Then we put that part of the project aside while awaiting the shooter version of TPC. Now, we are kinda stuck until this is resolved, because as non-programmers, it would not be productive for us to attempt to resolve the warning messages.

Since we also plan to use Quest System Pro with Invector TPC, we doubly need all these assets to at least play nice together, if not actually have an official integration. They are a natural fit for any RPG styled game.

darknubis365 likes this.
  17. drewradley

drewradley

Are they warnings or errors? Either way, start posting the warnings here. Maybe we can help you fix them while you wait.

wood333 likes this.
  18. Invector

Invector

To get rid of the errors just open the vItemEnumListEditor and rename the ScriptableObjectUtility to vItemScriptableObjectUtility. @jorisshh and I start working on a integration but I had to turn my attention back to the controller since we have being doing great progress with a new AI & the controller new actions which will make the template much better to add new custom actions. I will return to the integration as soon as I can ;) - I know how much you guys want this.

wood333 and julianr like this.
  19. AverageCoder

AverageCoder

Hi I would like to ask how you would get an animal as the AI like maybe a wolf enemy on all four legs running around and attacking with bite animations with your asset.

Many thanks

20. julianr

julianr

Good stuff! Just purchased TPC Shooter to support your efforts. Look forward to using the Inventory Pro integration.

Invector likes this.
  21. Invector

Invector

The template focus is the Controller, the AI was just a cool bonus that we add so it only supports Humanoid models, but there is several cool options for AI on the assetstore, for example ICE Creature which will have a integration with our Controller on the next update, plus it's 30% off :p

22. wood333

wood333

Thank you, @drewradley. They were errors off of Inventory Pro scripts. Fortunately, @Invector has provided instructions just above on how to resolve them. I will keep your advice in mind for the future. :)

23. AverageCoder

AverageCoder

ok thanks I will have a look at it.

24. RonnyDance

RonnyDance

I ve been checking this Controller a long time and have some questions regarding the roadmap / upcoming features:

- Are you planning to add First Person Mode officially? I saw that someone in your forums created an addon for that but anyway would be good to know if you plan to add this feature officially by yourself?
    - If yes is a VR Addon on the roadmap?
    - I am working on a historical game, thats why the Shooter Template uses "futuristic" weapons for me. How easy is it to change weapons to bows or old one handed guns for example? Are you planning to add such a Bow feature or is the shooter addon so easy to change that you can use any shooter weapons like bows?

Thanks a lot

25. googlebac

googlebac

Hi! just picked up 3rd person shooter template, very much looking forward to using it on my next project, Can I just ask how well this system works with PupperMaster? I understand it works well with final IK? is it the same with PuppetMaster?

Thanks!

26. Invector

Invector

Hey Ronni, the focus of this template is the Third Person Controller so we're not looking to add First Person or VR support anytime soon. I think that most of the AAA titles that switch third to first person basically switch the controller and animations, so that would be a looooot of work - Although the addon made by sjmtech works pretty well, you should try out.

Replace weapons are very easy, you can see in our video tutorials that basically you replace the model, sounds, textures and make adjustments like shoot frequency, recoil effect, to fit better your weapon... there is some users that already replace fire weapons to bow, it's pretty simple since we shot actual projectiles but yes have plans to add official bow support.

Hmm we actually never try the PuppetMaster, in theory it replaces our Ragdoll system so a few adjustments are needed but I don't think that is too hard to implement.

RonnyDance likes this.
  27. RonnyDance

RonnyDance

Thanks a lot for your fast response. I am really impressed by your continous support and updates. I remember it pretty well when you released the the asset for the first time.
    I see that you now added also jump animations. Is swimming also planed in the near future or did I miss an addon for that in your boards?

Its pretty impressive what different addons your community has created. This is pretty unique in my opinion.

Invector likes this.
  28. Invector

Invector

What's coming next?

Thanks Ronny :), indeed we have being working full time to bring new content for you guys and it's being thanks to your support that Jorge and I can continue to work on updates for our assets.

Now that we build a solid base for the locomotion, melee & shooter we will focus on adding more locomotion actions such as swimming, zipline, climbing, push objects, etc... it's all already being develop along the Shooter AI.

New Actions such as Swimming and Zipline are 95% finished and I really like the results, as requested by users we're planning on releasing as a separated addon so users can have the choice to add or not those extra features into the controller.

About the AI, we're re-doing from scratch and it's looking really promissor with better performance and more path options.
    The AI update will be Free for the Melee & Shooter package, but we will also create a Standalone AI option since we're having several people purchasing the template just to use the AI for a FPS or VR project.

The [vForum] community is growing bigger everyday, full with helpful users and creative people doing new custom addons, and we can follow the develop of awesome projects made by users.

We're really excited about the future of the templates since we are still full of ideas to add :D

29. Deleted User

Deleted User

Swimming should be included in Third Person Shooter, I mean thats something which everyone would expect from a normal TPS game. Climbing like in the Uncharted series is something different, thats ok excluding it from this package.

But what about the other features like:
    -Cover System
    -Throwing objects with Trajectory system
    -Stealth Kill
    -Other Third Person modes like Topdown etc.

And other stuff which are not listed like:
    -Attachment system (suppressor, laser, flashlight, foregrip)
    -Multiplayer (Unet, Photon)
    -Two handed melee weapons (sword etc.)
    -Bows, crossbows

30. garciajose1846

garciajose1846

I recently purchased your invector controller for a unity class project I am working on and I am having difficulties with the melee controller. When I try assigning a melee weapon to my character it will only still punch. Also when I add an enemy Ai to the scene it won't attack me and will only look at me. I have seen your tutorials and continue re-watching as we speak but i could really use some help here

31. Invector

Invector

Actually is not, there is a great number of third person games that doens't have swim such as Alan Wake, Batman Arkham series, Dead Space, Max Payne, MGS:V, most of RE and several others... It's really more commum on action adventure / open world games.

The idea is to keep each template with the core mechanics of basic locomotion, melee and shooter ready to go, and create specific plug & play add-ons that users can choose to use or not.

We already have prototypes of the Cover System & Throw with Trajectory ;) (which will be included on the shooter) Stealth kill is on the roadmap as well with topdown shooter/melee, two hand and bows.
    Like I say we still have great plans for the template :) - here is the roadmap thread:
    http://invector.proboards.com/thread/168/official-roadmap-faq

Make sure to change the AttackID of your new sword, 0 is the default and it will trigger the unnarmed animation.

Last edited: May 2, 2017
  32. Deleted User

Deleted User

And when can we expect the update for Shooter (Cover System, Throwing objects like grenades) and Melee (two handed weapons like swords)?

33. Deleted User

Deleted User

So I played the Shooter Demo, feels really like AAA game, good job! What I am missing which are essential is:

*A weapon wheel (mouse wheel or pressing a number key) to quickly switch weapons.
    *Shooting from the hip without needing to aim (look at GTA 5), right now it does a melee attack instead.
    *Rolling to left, right and behind while aiming. Right now it is only possible to roll forward and slightly left and right (but still forward).
    *(edit - should also be included) Leaning left and right and peek above.
    *(edit - not essential but noticed it) When sprinting and jumping the character jumps further but when sprinting and rolling it rolls just like if you would have not sprinted in the first place. So there should be a faster roll animation when rolling while sprinting (this is also in the Melee Demo).
    Melee Demo:
    -there is no difference in weak attack (left mouse button) and heavy attack (number 1 key).

These should be pretty easy to implement (versus a Cover system) and should be integrated as soon as possible. I must admit this asset seems to be the best TPC right now in the asset store but the competition does not sleep (looking at TPC 2 and UFPS 2).

Last edited by a moderator: May 8, 2017
    Malbers likes this.
  34. Vince121

Vince121

Hello, I'm using the Melee Combat Template in my game and I have a question.

I have a terrain with two textures, grass and rock. The rock texture is on the steep slopes. I want to stop the player from walking up these slopes but I don't want to reduce 'Slope Limit' value as I need it high enough for the player to walk on other objects in the scene.
    I had the idea of writting some code (something like this) to detect which texture the player is walking on, and if it is the rock texture stopping them from walking further in a similar way to slope limit. I'm not familiar with the controller code so was wondering if there is an easy way or which script to edit and where.

Thank you

35. drewradley

drewradley

Just put a cube to block the way and turn off the mesh renderer or set it to a layer that the camera will ignore.

36. Vince121

Vince121

It is quite a big terrain so that would take hours to do. The best thing i can think of is changing the 'Slope Limit' variable based on the texture the player is on. E.g. set slope limit to 40 if on grass and 1 if on rock in Update.

Edit: I got it working by changing the slope limit in the vThirdPersonMotor script, but it is quite jumpy. This is the code I am using:
    Code (CSharp):
    1. using System.Collections;
    2. using System.Collections.Generic;
    3. using UnityEngine;
    4. using Invector;
    6. public class slopeDetector : MonoBehaviour {
    8.     public int cannotWalkIndex = 1;
    9.     public float amountTex = 0.9f;
    10.     public float normSlopeLim = 40f;
    11.     public float badSlopeLim = 0f;
    12.     public Invector.CharacterController.vThirdPersonMotor controller;
    14.     private Terrain terrain;
    15.     private TerrainData terrainData;
    16.     private Vector3 terrainPos;
    18.     void Start()
    19.     {
    21.         terrain = Terrain.activeTerrain;
    22.         terrainData = terrain.terrainData;
    23.         terrainPos = terrain.transform.position;
    25.     }
    26.     void Update()
    27.     {
    28.         if (GetTextureMix(transform.position)[cannotWalkIndex] > amountTex)
    29.         {
    30.             if (controller.isGrounded)
    31.             {
    32.                 controller.slopeLimit = badSlopeLim;
    33.             } else
    34.             {
    35.                 controller.slopeLimit = normSlopeLim;
    36.             }
    37.         } else
    38.         {
    39.             controller.slopeLimit = normSlopeLim;
    40.         }
    41.     }
    42.     private float[] GetTextureMix(Vector3 WorldPos)
    43.     {
    44.         int mapX = (int)(((WorldPos.x - terrainPos.x) / terrainData.size.x) * terrainData.alphamapWidth);
    45.         int mapZ = (int)(((WorldPos.z - terrainPos.z) / terrainData.size.z) * terrainData.alphamapHeight);
    46.         float[,,] splatmapData = terrainData.GetAlphamaps(mapX, mapZ, 1, 1);
    47.         float[] cellMix = new float[splatmapData.GetUpperBound(2) + 1];
    48.         for (int n = 0; n < cellMix.Length; n++)
    49.         {
    50.             cellMix[n] = splatmapData[0, 0, n];
    51.         }
    52.         return cellMix;
    53.     }
    54. }
    I set the cannotWalkIndex to the index of the rock texture in my terrain. The amountTex should be between 0-1 and checks for that density of the texture on the terrain. (e.g. if 0.9 it applies low slope limit when the texture is 90% rock)
    And the badSlopeLim is what the slope limit should be changed to when on rock. I had to increase the 'Step Offset Start' on the player to 0.1 to get it working better.

Last edited: May 12, 2017
    Invector likes this.
  37. wood333

wood333

About that swimming.

1. I hope you don't provide an animation of the American Crawl, like Opsive did, because that stroke is only appropriate for modern games (newer than mid 19th century). Any breast stroke or side stroke or ugly dog paddle would be usable in almost any game.

2. As a practical matter, we can already swim an Invector PC by riding a Horse Animset Pro horse. In a way, this is more realistic, because any player carrying all the weapons an Invector PC can carry would certainly drown.

3. The world is 2/3 water. Swimming makes sense.

4. Love your assets!

Malbers likes this.
  38. drewradley

drewradley

Animations are really easy to change. Let him use whatever animations he has and change them yourself.

wood333 and TeagansDad like this.
  39. wood333

wood333

Ah, true. I have american crawl swim animations, but I would love something different. My demo budget is modest, so if they came by way of Invector, all the better.

Last edited: May 13, 2017
  40. RonnyDance

RonnyDance

Hi guys, I am just playing with the shooter template for the first time and I already love it.
    Still got some "newbie" questions after noticing some stuff:

- Is it normal that the camera in scene view always is set and goes back to X 0 Y 0 Z 0 ? While playing the camera always jumps to the player which is fine of course but while not playing also if you move the camera manually, it goes always back to 0 0 0. Would be cool if it would stick to the position I manualy put it. In Game Mode is should always jump to the assign player like it is right now.
    - While jumping forward my character always stucks for a short time before moving again. If I jump "up" without using a direction button at the same time the character lands perfectly on the floor (default layer). But while hitting a direction button at the same time on jumping the characters stucks for 1 seconds before continuing the moving animation. Any ideas? (Root Motion is set, also the Default / StopMoving Layer)
    - I added a MeeleManager to my character. After that I added the Ragdoll System. Is it normal that the Hitboxes are not visible anymore for me (The yellow boxes on hands and foots)? Are the Ragdoll colliders now the hitboxes?

Really looking forward for more "Medieval" weapons / Gameplay features like the upcoming bow feature. Magical System with Mana would also be nice.

Cheers
    Ronny

Last edited: May 15, 2017
  41. Invector

Invector

We will ship with standard swimming animations, that's the hole idea of our animations, provide the basic functionals and you guys go crazy replacing to your own custom animations.

We will take a look into the camera issue, about the jump stuck for 1 second, take a look here:
    http://invector.proboards.com/thread/405/jumping-falling-animation-question

And the colliders issues, always add the components like this > New Character > Footstep > Ragdoll > Melee > other components, to avoid issues.

42. Malbers

Malbers

Guys good news , the integration with HorseAnimset Pro v3 is almost complete.
    You will be able to use Invector melee weapons, (Bow is not available yet on invector TCP)
    This time both Invector Controller and Rider Controller work seamless. (Available for no inventory and inventory system)
    (HUD is also Linked)

Thanks V team for the public UnityEvents!!! they make things so much easier!!

Pistol will be ready soon for the Shooter Template. (Pistol only, Rifle,shotgun, and sniper won't be included yet)
    upload_2017-5-15_11-29-32.png
    upload_2017-5-15_11-33-36.png

Last edited: May 15, 2017
    Invector, wood333, antoripa and 2 others like this.
  43. julianr

julianr

Nice job on this Malbers! Maybe you could use shotgun/assault rifle/snipe rifle one handed :)

44. Malbers

Malbers

yeap that can be a temporary solution :D, but after the v3 release I want to make unique animations for each weapon, (my main role is animator so I get really picky with making everything look good)

julianr and wood333 like this.
  45. julianr

julianr

Good work! :) Always nice to see perfection!! If you need any animations I'm setting up a 6/8 camera mocap studio in about 2 two weeks. Would be happy to collab on that, but as you are an animator you may not need them.

antoripa and Malbers like this.
  46. Malbers

Malbers

Look what I found!

47. Malbers

Malbers

Thanks so much! but yeah I prefer make the animations :D

julianr likes this.
  48. Cartoon-Mania

Cartoon-Mania

Are you planning to add a craft system?

49. Invector

Invector

Hmm nope, the focus of this asset is the Third Person Controller we only developed a simple inventory system as example on how to equip/manage the collectables but we don't have plans to extend it for now, and there is several other options for crafting system out there.

50. julianr

julianr

Integration with Inventory Pro will be a bonus - hopefully starting sometime soon :) ?

wood333 likes this.