Search Unity

Controller Third Person Templates by Invector

Discussion in 'Tools In Progress' started by Invector, Aug 20, 2015.

1. Invector

Invector

Excelent news! Thank you very much Sir!

2. magique

magique

There's one thing else I don't see in the demo application and that's mouse wheel zoom. Is that feature available or planned?

3. Invector

Invector

At first we used to have a zoom scroll, but we thought is too MMORPG and had removed to put change weapons instead.
    But we can add again if you guys want

4. magique

magique

Have you used G.A.C. with this asset? Is it an easy integration?

5. magique

magique

I think it would be nice as an option at least.

6. kurotatsu

kurotatsu

Not yet, though it's really just a matter of putting your attack animations on a higher layer in your animator than the locomotion, but I'll report back none the less.

7. Kale

Kale

Any chnace you'll do foot Ik and sliding?

8. MIK3K

MIK3K

I'm a sucker for controllers. Lots of great ones on the asset store, but this one really nails getting up from a ragdoll and such responsive controls. Nice job!

Invector likes this.
  9. Invector

Invector

You have no ideia how badly I want to add Foot IK lol, but this feature will have to wait a little bit, we have to study more IK stuff, and sliding is more easy, we just need the animation basically.

Thanks Sir! We have play a lot of Dark Souls, GTA, Resident Evil, Alan Wake, MGS, Splinter Cell, Tomb Raider, (I could go on forever here lol) and it has a little bit of every one of this games in our Template, we really wanna to feel good to play!

10. kurotatsu

kurotatsu

I sent you an e-mail with my InControl Add-on for this, let me know what ya think.

With all these sales, it will be worth buying InControl to try it.lol trust me.

With it you will be able to use ALL the most popular game controllers, and it has a built in mobile input as well.

Invector likes this.
  11. SingularitySystems

SingularitySystems

Could you do a tutorial to add new Actions to the template? I've been messing around with it and can't quite get it to function right.

12. VagueL

VagueL

Awesome. Thanks for uploading the docs.
    I recommend adding it to the product page, as I think a lot of us like to review the documentation before picking up a major asset like this

Invector likes this.
  13. Invector

Invector

Hey Dan! I saw your email last night, let me talk to my partner and I will let you know!
    ps* It's really cool that you did that mod!!!

Hello @SingularitySystems, did you check our [Video Tutorial] ? We will add more tutorials soon, but the process to add new animations it's basically in this video, once you understand how it works you can add any kind of new action

Thanks @Fet1 ! That's a good ideia, we will update the description with the documentation and the webplayer!

14. kurotatsu

kurotatsu

Excellent.

I love to throw an assist to assets that can go hand in hand with each other. Just know suggestions I throw out there are to help improve overall functionality from a guy who writes most his own systems to work not just on his current project, but with an eye towards future projects as well, so they need to just work.lol

I really like that your wizard streamlines this process.

I have a couple more suggestions, I'll get into as this moves forward.

15. Invector

Invector

ON THE NEXT UPDATE:

- Topdown Template!! (It's not a addon, it will be included as free update)

Now you will be able to make a game like:
    - Diablo (click and move)
    - MGS1 (directional input)
    or Alien Swarm (directional input and look at mouse)

- Customizable and animated cursor sprite

- Insanly easy to customize your camera with Free Directional or Fixed Angle

- Trigger Action (replacing the old FindTarget script)
    Auto Action make the character automatically do an action like step up, climb up, when enter the trigger.

- Support to change input type in real time for Mobile too!
    If you are playing on a iOS mobile device and plug a MFi Gamepad, the controller will automatically change your input type just like when you change from KeyboardMouse to the 360 Controller!

And more stuff are coming with this update, I will release the full changelog when We send to the AssetStore.

Nyt0x and jasonMcintosh like this.
  16. jasonMcintosh

jasonMcintosh

You should check out Rewired, too. :) It supports the same controllers as InControl, but has an awesome mapping system on top of it. If you've ever built multiplayer, AI, or support for multiple input sources, abstracting input into game actions makes implementation much cleaner, and Rewired's mapping system serves that purpose well.

17. ISH_the_Creator

ISH_the_Creator

Wow finally we get a full 3rd person easy to use template no pun intended to other assets. But this is by far less complicated. Question please tell us your road map for weapon zoom with a sniper rifle since we can add in our own animations and add them to our inputs I would assume.

18. magique

magique

I don't know if anyone else had tried yet or not, but I spent a little time today trying integrate the FinalIK Grounder component and it doesn't work well so far. The 3rd person controller seems to do rather well on its own, but with Grounder added, the character model is jittery and unstable when on any ground and can't seem to step up onto anything at all. I'm going to leave FinalIK out of the picture for now, but if anyone else has more success then I'd like to hear about it.

19. kurotatsu

kurotatsu

Found some issues importing this into an existing project as well, changed all my tags, and got rid of my existing layers.

The hud being hard coded seems to have cleared all my existing GUI in game as well. All my unity 5 gui now show missing script references.

20. hopeful

hopeful

Well, it IS being imported by Unity as a "complete project," which will do that if you're not careful. If you don't want your project settings overwritten, you have to uncheck the boxes on the project settings files before importing. Then, once you have it in your project, if you want any demo scenes to work you'll need to plug in the proper project settings by hand.

Not everybody has purchased a complete project from the asset store, and so they may not know about it, but this is standard behavior.

21. hakankaraduman

hakankaraduman

hi Invector, will the price ever go up or stay the same?

22. kurotatsu

kurotatsu

I've just confirmed G.A.C. works with this.

Just make sure on G.A.C. you set movement component to 3D with Rigidbody, instead of the default character controller.

Ovaborn and Invector like this.
  23. Invector

Invector

Yeah, I really recommend you to use this project as the main base and import other assets into this, to avoid this kind of problem, Unity still have some issues managing project settings like input and tags.

Probably it will increase in the future when We add more actions. But nothing insane relax lol, and we already fill the form to enter the 24 hour deal in the AssetStore, though I'm not sure how it works and how they select who goes to promo.

Hey this is great @kurotatsu, thanks for let's us know!

24. Invector

Invector

The FootIK from FinalIK use raycast? if so, make sure that your FootIK is ignoring the Layer "Player" from the colliders of the Player, give a try and let us know the results :)

25. Kale

Kale

Cool. I've never personally worked with IK either. So it'd be nice to see. I was just asking about those 2 things because I was playing with the angled planes in your demo scene and it was one of the thing that struck me.

I was working on my own controller (poorly coded) but based on the way Kubold does his animations. With start and end animations to running/walking and such things, like idle -> start run -> run - end run -> idle. Any chance you'll do that? Or will you keep it as the simple idle -> run -> idle? You seem to already sort of do that with the falling animations.

26. magique

magique

The Grounder allows you to select what layers to do grounding for and I only have it set to Default. Everything for the Player is set to layer Player so I don't see a conflict. But maybe I'm missing something else.

EDIT: I removed the Grounder component and just have the Full Body IK component attached and it still has the issue. So, it appears that the Full Body IK is responsible for what's happening. Although I have no clue how to fix it.

27. Steel-Grin

Steel-Grin

Just a minor bug I noticed.

Holding down shift and switching to aim still drains the stamina bar as it only checks if aiming is true before it sets canSprint to true. So, you probably want to place a check for aiming during the stamina drain as well.

Invector likes this.
  28. Invector

Invector

Actually our Locomotion has a little bit more then this, is a Blend Tree that contains Idle > Walk > Running > Sprint that you can add more animations with you want, it's also has a quickStop animation if you are running and release all input and a quickTurn180 with quick turn animations, but again, it's all open and very customizable.

I see, well for now I will leave the Final IK with you guys, I think it's better for us to focus in features of the Template rather then integration with other packages (just for now) because it takes a lot of time to study and understand how the package works and more time to integrate. @kurotatsu already manage to integrate InControl and G.A.G combo system without any trouble, let's see what others assets can work with the template soon, and it's cool that you guys are playing around and learn how our system works, allows you guys to do more customization.

Hey thanks for reporting @Steel Grin, just add 2 more conditions on the RunningInput method when you release the RB button

else if (Input.GetButtonUp("RB") || currentStamina <= 0 || input.sqrMagnitude < 0.1f || aiming)

Last edited: Oct 5, 2015
    Steel-Grin likes this.
  29. Kale

Kale

I was simplifying it. I do see the walk/run/sprint animations. What I meant to say is it goes from idle to walk, instead of having a more natural (and to me, a much harder code to program to make i look natural) start locomotion > locomotion loop > end locomotion. It's a small gripe, actually, but I'm easily bugged by things like these, it's probably why I haven't just scraped it myself. =( But I'm also not that great at programming. When I code it, it fails to properly detect the stopping and usually stops, then stops again, creating a very unnatural look to it.

30. Invector

Invector

Hey there David, this template was design for people to start a new project, it is on the Complete Projects > Templates section on the AssetStore, but of course you can import into another project, I'm just saying that is recommended to start a clean project (way less errors to deal with). It's just like with any other template on the asset store, you can import into another project, but you will need to deal if conflict and errors.

According to a guy from the AssetStore, complete projects comes with their original project settings (input, tags, layer, etc), that's why is recommended to import other assets, rather then the opposite.

I recomend you to make prefabs of your scenes (environments, particles, lights, etc..), export the dependencies and import into the template project and then adjust the details like tags, layers, etc...

31. kurotatsu

kurotatsu

I feel your pain, the game I've been working on for two years lost all my gui, tags and layers(even when I unchecked the system related items on import, tell me how that happened). That said, I feel responsible for thinking this was a system, not a template. Just chalking it up to lesson learned, while I try to resurrect my game.

32. Invector

Invector

I sorry david... can you tell me more about this errors that you got when trying to importing our template into your 40gb project?

Btw our asset costs $59.99...

Did you uncheck this 4 itens when importing and even so, they replace your settings?
    This is very strange... I will contact Unity support to know more

As I said before guys... Usualy when you purchased a complete project, you need to set up a new clean project, this is recommended by Unity.

Like @hopeful has said, "Not everybody has purchased a complete project from the asset store, and so they may not know about it, but this is standard behavior."

33. kurotatsu

kurotatsu

I understand what you are saying Invector, and accepting responsibility myself.

I think most of us are just use to locomotion systems being different, don't take it personal.
    If you are planning to allow for people to bring it into exsisting projects, in the future my only complaint would be that the camera and hud are hardcoded.

This is where I suggest making it modular as possible so customers can choose the elements they wish to keep. This is just friendly advice, not trying to create waves good luck with this in the future.
    Edit:
    My reason for buying it was solely for the locomotion and ragdoll system and nothing else, just to give ya an idea, I apologize for the confusion on my part.
    Edit2:
    I just switched scenes back to the another level, and it appears only my unity 5 GUI in the scene where I made the character using the wizard is messed up(I'm sure from when it added the hud.), so there's hope yet.lol we'll see.

Invector, is there any way you could send me a version of the this with only:

1. the locomotion system.
    2. trigger systems for climbing,ect.
    3. the ragdoll system.
    4. the footstep system.
    5. Make Camera optional.

What I need removed, basically is the HUD, Health System, and Stamina System.

This would be a Great help, in my trying to keep this in my project, which I would very much like to do.

Last edited: Oct 6, 2015
    davidhughes3d likes this.
  34. Invector

Invector

Thank you for being more understanding @kurotatsu, I think that this is a common issue that every Unity developer will eventually do, in order to learn how Unity works. I just spend a Voucher with my self just to see if our asset is warning people before import into another project, and it is.

Again guys, this is standard behaviour and it's the way the Unity works, it will appear in any completed project, including Unity demo projects.

hopeful likes this.
  35. Invector

Invector

Actually if you remove the HUD, the controller will work just fine, it's not hardcoded.
    Now the camera has some direct implementation, for example, it need's to know the camera position for the player receive the correct angle, but it can be simple replaced with a MainCamera.
    Everything is open and customizable, just open the Character.cs and try to remove everything related to hud and tpCamera, just be carefull with the "targetDirection" on the ThirdPersonAnimator, here just replace tpCamera to your main camera.

We only put this HUD for example purpose, feel free to customize or remove and create your own HUD, the scripts are fully open.
    But a 3rd person need's a camera lol, what you don't like about our camera? maybe we can implement what you need, in fact there is a considerable update comming for the camera, lot's of new things.

Last edited: Oct 6, 2015
  36. hopeful

hopeful

@Invector - Just a word to the wise ... this issue will keep coming up for so long as this is in the Complete Projects category. Buyers who are new to Unity won't understand the warning. I've seen this with other plugins. What you'll want to do is get your controller plugin transferred to Scripting. Then you'll have to make some changes to the asset so the demo will still work, but at least customer project settings won't be re-written anymore.

Invector likes this.
  37. Invector

Invector

This could resolve the issue with InputManager, but were sill need tags & layers in our asset, it's hard to find a alternative here...

38. kurotatsu

kurotatsu

I'm not new to Unity, I just missed unchecking a couple of things on import.
    @Invector it's easy enough to put the required layers in the documentation like say motion controller, or ai systems. Another option is to add to your script a layer enum that looks at all the available layers and gives a drop down for developers to plug in the layer they want to use for say step up and so forth advanced ai pro uses something like this for allowing the developer to decide which layers to effect the state of the ai. Just food for thought.

Invector and hopeful like this.
  39. castor76

castor76

how difficult will it be to modify this system to make it work for side platform game? will it even be possible?

for side platfor,stuffs like climbing ladder and suc should be mapped for up or down action...

40. Invector

Invector

The ideia was always to delivery a very quick set up, Import > Create > Play, but I will definitly take a look at your sugestion, thanks again for help us build a better tool man!

The upcoming update will bring a option for Camera FixedAngle, I just create a 2.5D example scene within minutes

41. Nyt0x

Nyt0x

Any ETA on the camera update?
    I'm interested in this asset and could even use that for a project.

Also how modular is the whole project ? Project that are bloated with to many functionalities or not modular enough are not that good to use as, like others, I already have my own assets libs handling a bunch of things and I'm not looking for a "oneButtonDoEverythingInAGame" kind of asset.
    Plus it's always a pain to support asset update once you start messing in the core of it to take out things you don't need.

I understand this comes as a complete project and I can manage to integrate it correctly but I already had bad experience with promising assets that ended up trying to provide too much things AI, pathfinding, HUD, IK, Sound, cloth sim, etc. But all with pretty bad perf when I already have what I need and just look to gain a bit of time with some 3rd party code for a simple tasks.

I mean, can I easily cut out sound management or HUD ?
    Is the input Management is all in one Manager class? Or Will I by seeking small tidbits elsewhere in the code to bind it with my action manager ?

Anyway, for what I see it looks promising so I guess it's worth a shot.

42. magique

magique

Is it possible to use the footstep audio feature separately on another 3rd person controller? Or is it too tightly integrated with this template?

43. Invector

Invector

Our HUD and Footstep system can easily be removed, We create a Character Set up wizard just to speed things up, but everything else is open for customization and the scripts is fully commented, here is how our sistem work

All inputs is on the ThirdPersonController class, where you control the character.

The next update will go to review in a couple of weeks, If you still not sure about purchasing, wait till we update the asset and add more video tutorials, this is only the first release and it will be improve with time.

It's modular, as long the character is a humanoid, you can drag and drop the "FootStepFromTexture" script and it will create the sphere colliders on the foot of your char, then just set up your sounds and textures.

44. magique

magique

Thanks. That's perfect.

45. rcpetkowicz

rcpetkowicz

hi, it seems a great asset!

Is it possible to implement a wall hang and move while hang?? Similar to metal gear solid 1 or the new tomb raider.

46. o1o101

o1o101

Hey Invector, Just about to purchase, looks promising, one thing I noticed playing the demo, is that when using aim mode, the spine movement seems to start glitching out, aimmode will be very useful for us so im hoping there will be a fix for this, our reason for purchase is that our game is coded in legacy animation, our game is a mobile survival game, and we need to update the animation system to mechanim, because legacy is becoming an ordeal. Our game has first person and third person, so we were hopeing to be able to use aim mode for a first person camera, maybe changing out the strafe/walk anims to smoother ones so its not so jumpy in first person, now, im wondering if you could give me a quick tutorial on how we could add and blend an upper body rifle holding animation too your controller? Also have you attempted adding a first person mode? If so any tips? Thanks very much in advance!

47. kurotatsu

kurotatsu

I added my ranged system, mostly without issue, for the most part it is a matter of putting your rifle idle & shooting anims on a higher layer than the locomotion in the animator and making an upper body mask on that layer with the override all the way to 1, and make the anims go start-(Aiming equals true, and rollForward equals false Transition)>idle-(aiming true, rollForward false, and your own bool say isShooting equals true)>ShootingAnim-(and just for safety sake I have both anims transition to an empty anim when conditions aren't met)>empty.

**And don't forget to have your shooting anim transition back to the idle when aiming equals true, rollForward equals false and isShooting equals false.

That ought to get ya started, then you have your spine rotate using unity's built in IK to rotate toward crosshairs using unity's ScreenToPoint on the camera, and have your shooter empty shoot LookAt your screen to point and you are set.

48. Invector

Invector

Hi there @deverolirc, we already fix the spine problem, it was caused after the ragdoll was turn on but everything works great now and the update is comming in a few weeks! We actually never test a First Person view, but it's a interesting ideia, we will definily look at this! About a shooter anim/blender, our dear kurotatsu is already experimenting some stuff lol, but we will also make a Shooter Addon in the future. But yeah, basically you need to make a Layer with upperdoby mask.

@kurotatsu It's really nice to see you guys trying new things and exploring the Template, keep up the good work! :)

49. kurotatsu

kurotatsu

Well mine was made originally for motion controller, but while playing around with this, I thought what the hell, why not support both.lol

I'll have to try the next update though and see how things improve, I love what you guys are doing with the camera and such so far. If I can't find a spot in Voidkeeper, I'll find a project for it after.

Invector likes this.
  50. iDeveloper2

iDeveloper2

Hello Invector !
    First I appreciate you working on this asset. Very easy and flexible third person control but one issue I face related to mobile build. I build this asset on mobile and then no movement control and all other button is not working only working is rotation control. How this issue I resolved on my end.
    Regard,
    Tanzeel Indie Developer