Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

Controller Third Person Templates by Invector

Discussion in 'Tools In Progress' started by Invector, Aug 20, 2015.

1. xxhaissamxx

xxhaissamxx

when shooter release it will have AI shooter too or only the main player and did it will have cover for main player and AI ? can i use shooter with melee or it will have it's own melee system ?

2. kurotatsu

kurotatsu

I used a good technique for my rope in my grapple system, with just drawing a couple linerenderers between the necessary points.

PIGame, abatcat and Malbers like this.
  3. Invector

Invector

Hey guys, we are almost done with v1.3c it's a small update but a cool one :p

We create a new demo scene to show the new feature, Dragging Boxes! @Carlos Rovira, take a look :)

We also did some nice improvements on the TriggerActions, we create a DynamicTriggerActions that detects if there is a obstable above/ahead and prevent the player to make the action and pass through this object.

It works with Tags, so you can manage what objects can block your action

This update should be available soon, we are just finishing up some other stuff and we will upload :)

Last edited: May 25, 2016
    kidling, Malbers and Alexarah like this.
  4. Alexarah

Alexarah

Hi there Invector I was wondering if you think that your Combat Template which is awesome by the way can be a good starting point for a Dynasty Warriors type of game? I've played Dynasty Warriors 8 Empires on my Steam account and I've really really become fascinated with that game. So I'm wondering if the Combat Template is suitable for such a thing? I'm willing to try to implement and enhance things like the AI and the other gameplay mechanics if your Template is able give me a good starting point for a hack and slash Dynasty Warriors style game.

5. Invector

Invector

I think it's a damn good starting point for sure, you will just faster animations and a simplier AI with low process in order to achieve so many characters on screen. Also, you can use @Malbers Horse Pack for the horse solution :)

Malbers and Alexarah like this.
  6. Alexarah

Alexarah

Awesome bro I'm really loving the Combat Template!:) Also thanks for the link to the Horse Pack that'll surely come in handy. Oh by the way Invector is there a way to use Plygame or ORK Framework with Combat Template? Combat Template is hands down the action part of it but I'm also looking into implementing some RPG elements to make it immersive like Dynasty Warriors 8 Empires is or more.

7. Invector

Invector

PlyGame for sure, there is some users that is already using both together, but the ORK I don't think so, after all it's a framework with tons of specific features and it would take too much time to integrate (just speculation, I have never tested)

Alexarah likes this.
  8. Alexarah

Alexarah

Alright then since I already have Plygame I'll try to combine it with Combat Template.;) I like Plygame more than ORK anyway. Thanks for your help Invector!

Invector likes this.
  9. Bdase

Bdase

Hi Invector! I am a user of plygame too and like to know if i use the vCharacterStandalone.cs is possible to get the legacy/generic(animation) controllerAI of plygame to work together with your TPC.

10. Invector

Invector

Hmm I believe you can use, it will require a few adaptations to receive/give damage and trigger the correct animations but you can certainly use :)

Alexarah and Bdase like this.
  11. Bdase

Bdase

• i am really willing to buy your product, just registred here today to know about this. May you help with that adaptation if i buy your asset?

12. Ludo97

Ludo97

It is possible to make a system to save / load with "easy save" ?

13. Invector

Invector

We offer support to our assets and the features included on it (just like every other dev on the asset store), we can't help you to make your game or add new features specific to your game. But that's why we have a forum, you guys can try new things and share here :) - I know that some users already make integration with PlyGame (btw we don't even have this asset purchased yet), so you can post your questions here and of course, we will help in any way if we can.

That's really not the focus of our asset, there is many solutions to save/load system on the AssetStore

14. Invector

Invector

Seriously, who wrote this review? - You're freaking awesome! :p:D Thanks!!

* We really appreciate Everyone of you guys that take the time to write a review for us, it's really nice to see our feedback! You guys rock!

Last edited: May 25, 2016
    Hamesh81, kurotatsu, PIGame and 5 others like this.
  15. rbm123

rbm123

very very very Great!
    God give you what you wish!
    I will buy it ASAP!

magic effect is added to this 1.3b?

specially with cover and shot ability for both AI and Player!

*** cover finding for AI like what they automatically do for jumping over walls or crunching in this package.
    sorry for my English!

16. Shadex

Shadex

That was me. Everything in the review was an honest reflection of my experience. I told you i would give you a good review!

Funny thing is, in the review I said that you guys respond fast, i wrote the review last night. Lol

I came from using the top paid template in the asset store and top AI. It took a month and a half to get responses for what we wanted to do, which where not answers, just responses. After pour through 14 hours of tutorials my programmer just quit. It took me about 5 minutes to do what i wanted to do from the previous project without a programmer. Honestly, it's like the first time i discovered you can clean a nasty toilet with coke. When i added in 12 fully working enemy AI, 20 weapons, and was in the tweaking phase within a day, using your asset, all i could say is "It doesn't have to be this way". This is seriously the only asset i have found (and i have used a lot of them) that lets me make the game i want to make vs the game the asset wants you to make if that makes sense. Anyways, i totally appreciate the work you guy's have put in to this. Hopefully the next smash hit has your asset in the credits.

17. snackzilla

snackzilla

Hello again Invector! I'm stuck again. :( I'm working with Inventory Pro still. I'm looking for the method you guys you to equip weapons. Or really, to change the MoveSet_ID/ATK_ID/DEF_ID. I've looked in just about every script possible. I see in vThirdPersonController.cs near the bottom, void PickUpEquip, but I'm not quite sure what or how this tells the vMeleeManager script that a weapon is in the hand, and ready to manipulate the Animator parameters.

The skinny of it is, I've created a Invector Melee Weapon with both your scripts and the ones for an Inventory Pro Item. I'm using Inventory Pro to handle the pick-up and equipping portion so I'll have a visual representation on the menu. It all works really well. I can get the Invector Weapon in the correct hand, correctly positioned, and as a child of the correct Handler using the Inventory Pro Menu. However, none of my attempts to tell the controller that a Melee Weapon is equipped, in the right position, and is ready to manipulate the Animator have worked. My character remains in the MoveSet_ID 0 (Unarmed Idle) position with the Invector Item in hand.

Also, for those users that are asking..I'm the one who hooked this awesome controller to PlyGame (sans inventory, because I opted for Inventory Pro). I've already PM'd a few users who asked instructions for how I did it, but for everyone, once I get my dev-diary up and running here in the next week or so, I'll do a full instructional writeup.

Invector, wood333 and kurotatsu like this.
  18. kurotatsu

kurotatsu

I have an issue with some camera jitter when my character is moving, what settings will smooth this out?, or what could be causing it(sensetivity, smoothing, an animation on the character)?

19. Invector

Invector

Yep we did a simple projectile example on v1.3b, and we already start working on the Shooter Template ;)

Awesome Shadex, I really happy that you along with so many other users are having fun with our asset :D

The PickUpEquip will pass a side 1 or -1 to equip (left or right) and it will call the SetRightWeaponHandler or SetLeftWeaponHandler passing the CollectableMelee and the moveset ID is called on the melee manager, on the ThirdPersonAnimator, method LocomotionAnimation:

animator.SetFloat("MoveSet_ID", combatID.moveSet, 0.1f, Time.fixedDeltaTime);

As soon as we publish the v1.3c I will contact the Inventory Creator dev and see if they have interest on a Integration, I also need to see the Adventure Creator.

The smooth value is called Smooth Camera Rotation, on the 3rd Person Camera inspector but I don't think this will solve your problem, it's probably something else, maybe animation? Try record a video

snackzilla likes this.
  20. wood333

wood333

I have a conceptual question. Your original asset was a controller, featuring movement. Now you have a controller, an AI system, a combat system, and some form of inventory. TPCT has become a mini-game. I'm not surprised @Ludo97 asked whether you had EasySave2 integration, because what you are building looks like a game that just needs characters, a set, score keeping and a way to Save progress.

Our original intent was only to use TPCT for movement, but with the additions of ai, combat system, and inventory, we are considering using more of the new TPCT systems. I see some developers want to integrate other asset components (ai, combat, inventory), like @snackzilla above, who has decided to use Inventory Pro. So do we. As an indie developer, I am hoping when you complete the shooter system, and have a little more time, that you will consider assisting with a few official integrations. You are far better equipped to do the integrating than many of us, and the more complex your assets become, the more this is true. Plus, the creators of the better assets on the Unity3d store are usually willing to collaborate.

1. Will the new shooter system be fully integrated with the melee and magic systems?
    2. Would you add an official integration between TPCT and Inventory Pro?
    3. Would you extend TPCT to make it easy for us to make an NPC driven by a third party ai be a part of your
    combat systems? For example, can we set up a wolf acting under a 3rd party ai to do and receive TPCT damage by giving them TPCT hit boxes/weapons and an animator with TPCT hit box activation? Would you make this easier for us?
    4. Would you provide TPCT tools to exchange information between TPCT and other assets, so we can do some basic integration of our own?

What we want to do is use your movement and combat systems, but bolt on/integrate with 3rd party systems giving us enhanced capabilities, such as Inventory Pro, I.C.E creature ai for more complex ai, and a variable/trigger integration with an RPG system, such as Ork Framework.

Incidentally, @Alexarah asked about integration with Ork Framework. The original TPCT movement system already worked with Ork. Ork has a simple set up for third party controllers and cameras. To integrate other portions of TCPT would require an exchange of information/triggers.

Sorry about the long winded post. :rolleyes:

kurotatsu likes this.
  21. kurotatsu

kurotatsu

While I do agree with you in part, I would also say that "Overspecialize and you breed in weakness.".

It is incredibly easy to find the player, or gamemanager by tag, then add a msg in the CheckHealth() method in the enemy AIMotor script, so that on the enemies death points will be added, items dropped, or logic saved via player prefs.

And writing a small script using OnCollisionExit, or OnTriggerExit to send a appropriate damage msg to a prefered alternate AI, is very easy for even the newest to unity with a mind to do so.

A more appropriate request would be to ask invector to add a send message event with an open string for the message, an open string for the tag to find, and damage variable int, or float to send with the msg to the weapon script, or weapon collectible, as this is an open suggestion.

Saving and loading is easily handle through a custom pause menu or prior to switching scenes, and some additions like these will interfere with those that have working custom integrations, and cause them to gut their own projects, especially projects that delete all playerpref keys, then add the new ones will either now have to rewrite their system to include new keys to add, or change to the included one, which changes of this nature have to be re-added to every single modded script every time a developer upgrades his copy of TPCT, it is better to have some of your systems not rely on a single asset still being developed.

Just food for thought.

Edit:

A small example of simple mods I added to the AIMotor.cs just to get the functionality I wanted:

Code (csharp):
    3. /*KUROMOD's-----------------------------*/
    4. public string onDeathMsg2Player = "";
    5. public int pointsAward = 0;
    6. public bool vanishOnDeath = false;
    7. public bool destroyOnDeath = false;
    8. public Transform[] dropOnDeath = null;
    9. private GameObject player = null;
    10. /*---------------------------------------*/
    12. public void CheckHealth()
    13. {
    14. //If the player has lost all it's health and the death flag hasn't been set yet...
    15. if(currentHealth<=0 && !isDead)
    17. {
    18. if(vanishOnDeath){
    20. var renderers = this.gameObject.GetComponentsInChildren<Renderer>();
    22.      foreach(Renderer i in renderers){
    24.           i.enabled=false;
    25.      }
    26. }
    27. player = GameObject.FindGameObjectWithTag("Player");
    28.       isDead=true;
    29.       DisableActions();
    31. //drop the equipment when die game
    33. foreach(Transform i in dropOnDeath){
    35.      var instantiatedObject = Instantiate(i, this.transform.position, this.transform.rotation) as GameObject;
    36. }
    38. if(onDeathMsg2Player != ""){
    40.      player.gameObject.BroadcastMessage(onDeathMsg2Player,pointsAward,SendMessageOptions.DontRequireReceiver);
    41. }
    43. if(destroyOnDeath){
    45.      Destroy(this.gameObject);
    46. }
    47. }
    48. }
    I can drop multiple items, destroy and/or turn off the body upon death, send a points message to my player, ect...

Edit2: And taking the time to create and show these integrations, as I just did takes some of the work out of it for the asset developer, and helps add to the feature set if, as Invector has stated in the past, that general open, not hard coded suggestions find their way to the roadmap easiest.

Last edited: Jun 3, 2016
    Hamesh81 likes this.
  22. wood333

wood333

Thank you for the sound advice. We're at the point in our development where we have to begin considering the asset decisions. We're starting to think through the choices we face, but when the time comes, we are going to have to take the simplest path. We aren't programmers. We are a developer and an animator.

Third Person Controller Template came as a breath of fresh air. We own all three of the top controllers, plus some of the second tier controllers. TPCT is the easiest to implement because it is crisp out of the box, we can swap in motion capture animations fairly easily where we like, and the movement portion is easily added to Ork Framework. It was a real plus, when we mounted the vBot on a Horse Aminset Pro horse, and because @Invector and @Malbers are both ultra-cool, we now have an official integration. We would like to make use of all the new combat features of TPCT, but to do so we must integrate.

None of this happens on a whim. It's been a long road to reach this point in development. Our practice is to politely ask the asset designers to consider adding what we need, then they provide what they deem appropriate (ranging from absolutely nothing to official integration), and then with trepidation, we novices dabble in the dark arts of programming to unify the systems. :eek:

Malbers and kurotatsu like this.
  23. kurotatsu

kurotatsu

That is a very sound, and resolved reply.

I'm an artist, that has become a programmer. An artists thinking outside the box is all that is needed I've found, you just have to break things into their smallest parts and look up that one function you'd like to add and google it, as each and every thing you can think of has been asked, or a tutorial showing that one idea is out there.

Good luck, and I hope to see your project as it unfolds, and never let the big picture trump the simple approach.;)

Youtube unity c# triggers, or playerprefs, or pause, or switch scenes and make a small script, then expand it with one more function it can do, and you will find a sense of accomplishment that will only grow, and grow.

I've found that coding is just an art medium all it's own, just visualize, research, try examples, then expand. Then once you have a working piece of code, when you write another script that needs that functionality as well, you can copy and paste your working code, and just change the variable names, until it becomes second nature and you know exactly what needs to happen, and when.

One thing I wish I had known in the beginning was how to use Invoke(), when you want to make something happen with a delay, this is one of the most powerfull methods, look it up and you'll see.

Last edited: May 27, 2016
    wood333 and Invector like this.
  24. Invector

Invector

@wood333 Our template was never mean to be a 'mini-game' or a 3rd Person Game Template, it is a 3rd Person Controller Template and you have a lot of game possibilities with different styles, the idea was always to have a solid base for you guys to work on something else, your game. We usually add generic stuff like respawn system, or a load scene when die, but stuff like a Save/Load system is something that a Game Template would have, which is not our goal here.

We're working on the Shooter Template using the Melee Combat as the base, the idea is to evolve the asset, so yes, we want to include every feature of the Melee on the Shooter, and we will work hard to accomplish this.

Integrations with other assets, any asset is a complicated matter because in order to do it, we need to stop our own development (new features, bug corrections, prototypes, everything really) to take the time to learn a new asset, how it works, read tons of code and work out the integration. In some cases it's really fast like the Horse example, on others it can take a while, but of course that we want to integrate with many assets out there, but there is too much awesome stuff lol, so this can take a while.

You guys have no idea how many emails and comments we receive about the Shooter Template lol, so we will focus only on the Shooter right now, and after a stable release we will start looking at integrations with more effort.

Last edited: May 27, 2016
  25. Invector

Invector

Hey guys we take some time today to review our tpController, tpAnimator & tpMotor scripts.

There is new methods, comments, and regions to make your life easier to search and modify.
    The code has grown considerably and sometimes it can be hard to find that specific line, so hopefully it's easier now :p

Malbers, wood333 and kurotatsu like this.
  26. rbm123

rbm123

I find something - I think its a bug!
    when you are on top of a cube and roll to any direction and then fall down by rolling , after character stands up when you press any button to walk , the "HARD LANDING animation plays! when he is on ground!
    how much should I wait for it?

Last edited: May 28, 2016
  27. LudiKha

LudiKha

I think that's an issue when you use triggers, they stay active even if another animation should've overridden it so they will fire as soon as they get the chance.

@Invector maybe it's better to use booleans that will automatically reset after a certain amount of time, dependent on the specific action?

Another bug happens when you jump and then immediately roll - you will basically do a front flip that is much higher than usual and land hard afterwards.

28. rbm123

rbm123

[ amateur ]
    1. I make a new character with wizard easily and works well! but have no melee combat options like carrying sword and other things! I add all the scripts which are added to default V-bot but still my new character in using melee !
    2. when creating character and the editor says set layer to "player" when I set , unity asks me to apply it only to the character or all its child! which one should i choose?
    3. how can I add "hanging on edges" ability to my character? I have animations
    4. when creating a cube(or any item in game) should it have a Specified height or not? you didn't say anything about setting these cubes(their layer , tag , code , size etc..) in tutorials!

29. Invector

Invector

@rbm123 v1.3b is already available on the asset store, and the hard landing animation plays because your character velocity.y reachs the Land High Vel which is -5, you can increase this value if you not want to use this animation.

try update your version to v1.3b, the layers are automatically set up now, and you can watch this video tutorial:

We currently don't have the hanging on edges feature, but it's something that we want to add in the future.
    your last question is about the actions (climbup, stepup, jumpover)? if it is, you just need to follow the examples that we put on the demo scenes, it's really simple to replace a object and I think there is no need for a tutorial, but if you guys need one, we can make :)

@Ragoo and that's precisely what we do, but I forgot to put a !jump on the rollConditions, thanks for remind us, v1.3c will have the fix ;)

Malbers likes this.
  30. Invector

Invector

v1.3c will have a little delay guys, we found that Unity 5.2.4 doesn't have Physics.BoxCast which is the method that we're using to move the box, and there is too many of you that are still using older versions of Unity, so we will have to figure out another solution that works on older versions :oops:

Kenaz likes this.
  31. magique

magique

I'm not sure if your latest version has this issue or not, but previous versions of this package included the Asset Store Tools, which shouldn't be a part of any package. If you haven't already done it, you should definitely remove that from your distribution.

32. Kenaz

Kenaz

I got 2 bugs about stamina:
    First one is stamina will still cost when I do actions(jumping, rolling, climbing, etc) while sprint(holding direction key).
    Second, click multiple times roll button after rolling finish(I wanna roll again) will cost stamina but without rolling.

I changed some setting in animator to make the action system more similar to Dark Souls, Also I add some code to make each attack have different attack value.

Next I'll start to make AI Agent do different attack type(with same weapon), I think I'll try to set random ATK_ID to animator first. Any better idea?

New feature seems really cool, hope 1.3c available soon :D

kidling likes this.
  33. Invector

Invector

Only you got the asset store tools because I sent you a separate package, if you download from the asset store will come without the folder.

Actions is supposed to consume stamina, you can change the value of some actions on the Actions Painel, there is some options like height of jump, how much stamina will cost, etc..
    The second report seens like a bug indeed and we will fix, thanks!

34. magique

magique

OK, thanks.

35. magique

magique

Is there a parameter that controls how high a character can jump? I need to get a character jumping higher and farther than what is the default, but I don't see any setting for this anywhere.

EDIT: I found it. It's the Extra Gravity parameter.

EDIT 2: I spoke too soon. While reducing Extra Gravity and increasing Extra Speed gets my character to run faster and jump higher, the actual jump is still too short and seems very sluggish. How can get get the character to jump farther faster?

36. treshold

treshold

Is it possible to override current weaponhandler in tps melee template? I mean that i work with external inventory system and I have already equipmenthandler which will enable and disable weapons in player characters hand.
    So if i setup weapon in tps melee template I just leave collectable melee-script out? And hook some integration script when I enable weapons from my other setup?

37. Invector

Invector

Open the Actions Input Options

It's hard to tell, the collectable just manage when to activate colliders & rigidbodies when equip or not, take a further look into the methods that equip the weapon on the right hand.

magique likes this.
  38. treshold

treshold

Yeah before I buy the asset i woulda wanted to look API -documentation to see although kit look quite promising anyway to have in toolbag :D

39. PIGame

PIGame

I have a simple question, I make an invisible box collider (create a 3d box and remove the Mesh renderer) to prevent the character and enemies travel too far, when they attack and hit the box collider they act like they hit a wall, in your 2.5 demo scene you have that type of box collider too to prevent the player from falling out out the platform but when attack he attacks through it, the attack animation is not stopped, how can I do that?

I dragged your collision block into a prefab and drop it to my level and my character still hits it like hit a wall (he recoils and stops attacking) I want him to attack through it like in your 2.5D demo but I can't figure it out please help me.

40. Invector

Invector

API can be a nice thing to do when we have some free time, strangely you are the first to ask for one lol

Just change the layer of your invisible wall, the Hit Recoil Layer is Default, so just put any other layer and the recoil will not trigger ;)

PIGame likes this.
  41. Kenaz

Kenaz

Maybe it's not clear enough about first part, here is a video to show this bug:

42. rbm123

rbm123

can you upload the ALL video tutorials on mediafire or somewhere else?
    I have problem to download them from youtube!

43. Gojira96

Gojira96

Hi,I dont seem to understand how "Defense Rate" works.
    Does it block a percentage of the damage,chance to block or the damage itself?
    My weapons dont seem to block anything unless I put "Defense Rate" to 100.
    Most of my weapons have "Total Damage" of 10-25,and I still take a lots of damage if "Defense Rate" is;lets say 50,sometimes even more when the weapon recoils back,striking the player twice.
    I need to tweak these rates before I build a scene,since my project is almost done.

Last edited: May 29, 2016
  44. Invector

Invector

Hmmmmmmmmmmm now I get it, we don't notice that before!
    thanks, v1.3c will have the fix ;)

in fact it's really simple to fix it, just add a || actions) on the if that makes the canSprint = false, at the SprintInput method.

Just select the url from the ones you need and download [here]

Defense Rate is how much of the damage it will absorb, like 100 is full protection, 50 is half, and so on.
    We made some adjustments on v1.3c on the hitbox collision, it's much more precise now and so are the values of damage, also you can have a damage multiplier by a animation state instead of the weapon. for ex: only if you reach combo 3, the damage is 2x.

Last edited: May 29, 2016
    Gojira96, kurotatsu, Kenaz and 2 others like this.
  45. PIGame

PIGame

Thank you for your time! It works! :D And I have another question also it's a simple one :D

The 1.3b is awesome but I don't want the enemy to defend with those hand combat defend animation (I did give him a weapon but he still use his forearms to cover the head like he's boxing), how to turn off that defend state of the enemies, like if he doesn't have a shield he will only attack and won't defend at all I like that?

The push box feature in 1.3c is a GREAT plus but will it hard for me to edit the script to make it to Sokoban style of pushing (only vertical or horizontal (not freely move the box around like your preview video) and 2 meters each time the player move the box)?

46. Invector

Invector

Vibhanshu, PIGame and kurotatsu like this.
  47. Invector

Invector

It's very simple @PIGame, just leave the block and shield variables with 0

Our box solution was design to be simple without the need of animations and with a more free behaviour, and there is so many options for puzzle with boxes (that's why we never thought of adding one) because we do one style, and maybe people want another type. Anyways, this is one way to do it lol

PIGame likes this.
  48. juicycleff

juicycleff

Hello this asset is by far the best melee asset personally. I have a question. Please I'm integrating TPC with my custom AI for animal enemies. Right now I can apply damage to the animals, but I'm having issues sending the correct damage events to the player character to deal damage. Please how can I send damage using SendMessage method to the player with a custom script. Thank you.

49. jayimagination

jayimagination

I know you are still working hard on everything but any new news on the shooter template?

50. Invector

Invector

Take a look into the vObjectDamage script, it has examples of how to apply damage using trigger or collision ;)

Don't worry jay, I will post some news as soon as we have enough to show :)
    All I can tell is that we're now working full time on this template

edit* here is a little gift for you guys :D

Last edited: May 31, 2016