Search Unity

Controller Third Person Templates by Invector

Discussion in 'Tools In Progress' started by Invector, Aug 20, 2015.

1. Invector

Invector

HOLY POTATO we are on the Home page as Featured Asset @____@
    1 day launched /o/

Thanks AssetStore guys, this is Awesome!

junaid_techving likes this.
  2. tmmandk

tmmandk

HOLY MOLLLLLLYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYY

THATS AMAZING

BTW Add Me On Skype : DProBoy

Invector likes this.
  3. blackbird

blackbird

i want to help i made some parkour animation i can share with you guys even some military move stuff

4. tmmandk

tmmandk

Cool

5. OpticalOverride

OpticalOverride

Went to look for a 3rd person controller template and what do you know! First page I find what I'm looking for on the asset store. Congrats!

One quick question before I purchase: I'm making a somewhat top-down/isometric view game and I would like the character to face the mouse, but move in the direction of WASD. The camera's view will stay in the same orientation (facing due north, think something like Don't Starve). So for example if the player is pressing 'W' and moving up the screen, but the mouse cursor is below the character, the character's animation would be walking backwards (facing the cursor, but walking backwards away from the cursor). Is this possible out-of-the-box?

I'm thinking the "Aim Mode" you have in your video on the asset store may get me pretty close to what I want, but without having the asset I figured I'd ask first.

Thanks! And cool asset by the way, I'm sure it will do well!

Invector likes this.
  6. Invector

Invector

Hahah, It was ultra awesome to see our Template on the home page at day 1!!

About your topdown game, We are working on a Camera Update right now with features for TopDown and Isometric games, it's looking really nice! I will post a update here in a couple a weeks, stay tuned :D

You can wait for the post, I probably will upload a Topdown Demo and you can see (and play) if it is what you want before making a purchase ;)

Xander-Davis and OpticalOverride like this.
  7. eagleeyez

eagleeyez

Hi and thanks for your quick Email reply.
    So, TPSF will be an addon to this TPCT? How much will it be then?

1. What can you boast as being better than motion controller?
    2. How about Playmaker support later on?
    3. Can we Beta the TPSF when we buy this version?

Thanks
    Chris.

8. OpticalOverride

OpticalOverride

Awesome! I can definitely wait a couple weeks, the game is only just finishing its second month of development. Excited to see the update, I'll stay tuned.

Invector likes this.
  9. eagleeyez

eagleeyez

Oh, one more thing
    don't forget ledge shimmy! / sliding

10. Invector

Invector

Hey Chris, so... We are still planning on how to distribute the Shooter feature, but the price will be very fair and affordable, just like it is on this locomotion template.

About your questions, it's really about what you want and what package suits your needs
    1- both have webplayers and a list of features, you can compare both and see for yourself what package suits you better :)
    2- I don't have Playmaker and never used, but who knows the future hehe
    3- Well, I will think about it but it's a good ideia :p

11. eagleeyez

eagleeyez

Thanks for your answers,
    pitty you don't know playmaker, many love this to quick prototype or even for complete projects. For a programmer it is very eaisey to make your asset PM compatible, just take a quick look at their website.

Just out of interest it would be great to see if anyone else here would love Playmaker support, maybe just say yes please in this forum.

I will sleep on it tonight and most possibly buy it tomorrow
    I have every other controller out their, so I am curious

all the best
    Chris.

Xander-Davis likes this.
  12. williamian

williamian

Looks very impressive for quick prototyping and easily altered for game specific needs, but, I am surprised you did not add a jump animation to the controller?

13. scarpelius

scarpelius

How hard will it be to transform this into an WOW like controller?

14. VagueL

VagueL

Can this be used in conjunction with Final IK?

15. Xander-Davis

Xander-Davis

Amazing. Just bought it-- can't wait to dive in.

Just read previous posts about combat features coming soon. Sweet. :) And yeah, Zelda-style targeting and item pickups / reloads would be amazing too. Top-down will definitely be awesome. Also I'm a fan of PlayMaker so any integration with that would be stellar.

Maybe most important of all, Rewired integration / compatibility for almost any multi-platform Unity project seems virtually required in general, since multi-platform input management by Unity itself has always left a lot to be desired. ( @guavaman ) I'm guessing we'd have to rip out whatever input you've got built into this and reconfigure it all for multi-platform builds with various controllers.

Super awesome template-- can't wait to see how this progresses! Keep me posted!

Last edited: Sep 30, 2015
    Invector likes this.
  16. Invector

Invector

Yeah haha, actually we make a video tutorial about how to add new animations, and it is a Jump animation, but I get it that people like to jump lol, we will add as soon as we got a animator guy.

Hmmm WoW is pretty standard MMORPG, but it's possible yeah, need to code a little bit =o

You are the 2ª person that ask me this, unfortunately I don't have Final IK or PlayMaker to know how their work :/
    But the scripts here are totally open to customization, I think it can work together!

@Xander Davis Dude!! many thanks for your purchase!! If you have any questions, please feel free to email us at inv3ctor@gmail.com

Thanks guys!! :D

Xander-Davis likes this.
  17. DanielKW

DanielKW

One thing I'd like to add to the list of requests: Pixelcrushers dialogue system integration, and a third-party inventory integration. All the other TPS templates I've looked at didn't have very good inventories and didn't integrate well with other 3rd-party assets.

18. hopeful

hopeful

I'd say the best inventory system right now is Inventory PRO.

I'm not sure what would need to be done by way of integration with Dialogue System for Unity and Inventory PRO. I'd think TPT would work with them without any special coordination.

BTW, congratz on making it to the front page on day one! :)

19. silentneedle

silentneedle

Two quick questions:

1. Does it also work without root-motion?
    2. Could you please show me the variables you are using in the animator? If you don't want to show them to the public feel free to send me a pm.

I'm asking because I would like to know if this fits for multiplayer games.

Thanks.

20. Invector

Invector

@DanielKW and @hopeful We are receiving a lot of requests for integration to assets that we never used before lol, we will see what asset will be the most requested and put on a list, but for now let's be patient and see how the template is working out for you guys :)

21. Invector

Invector

Hello @silentneedle, the template is currently working only with root motion, we used non root motion before and decide to remove because the results is waaay better with root motion.

Here is the bools that we are using right now

That last two, is for dynamically find a target and climb any heights, or find a specific spot to the player go when call.

silentneedle likes this.
  22. jayimagination

jayimagination

Just curious will that shooter addon had features that are found in games like gears of war, resident evil 4-6, and RE revelation games?
    Example the aim zoom, the over the shoulder view, multiplayer, and melee weapons?
    I planning on purchase a third person controller soon, and trying to figure out which one offers the closest features to the project(s) I'm planning.
    Thanks

23. Invector

Invector

Hey @jayimagination, if you watch our promo video, at ~1:30 shows the 'aim zoom' shoulder camera that you speak of
    I'm personally (Teles) played every gears and I'm a big fan of the Resident Evil franchise lol, so yeah we have plans to add some action base features to help people to develop Action Shooter games like these :)

Last edited: Oct 1, 2015
    ISH_the_Creator likes this.
  24. jrush64

jrush64

This is an amazing controller. I'm planning to get it. But would you think about adding ledge controls. Like when you jump and miss a platform, you can hang on the platform and maybe shimmy also sneaking?

macodys likes this.
  25. Risc4000

Risc4000

Hey Inventor I noted it you comment about not been a good animator, well I can help you with that is you like it. I'm not do it for any reward I want to help that is all. So if you like let me know.

Invector likes this.
  26. Dan2013

Dan2013

@Invector
    This asset looks very cool.
    Before I buy it, I may want to figure out how you implement controller physics (e.g. movement, landing).

Design-1. You build controller physics on top of a normal rigidbody? Its movement is implemented by applying normal forces?
    Like this one: https://www.assetstore.unity3d.com/en/#!/content/11786

Design-2. You build controller physics by wrapping functions over an standard Unity Character Controller?
    Like this one: https://www.assetstore.unity3d.com/en/#!/content/15672
    (MCv1 is wrapping functions over standard Unity Character Controller. MCv2 is not)

Design-3. You build controller physics by implementing your own physic logic onto a kinematic rigidbody or even just some primitive shapes?
    Like this one: https://roystanross.wordpress.com/

Last edited: Nov 29, 2015
  27. VagueL

VagueL

Thanks for the reply.
    I noticed that there is a Documentation pdf included with the asset. Could make that public?
    As somebody who has been burned by similar assets before, I'd like to have a better idea as to what I'm actually purchasing and how modular it is

28. Invector

Invector

We will be add more features in the future, but following the [Video Tutorial] you can basically add any kind of animation, and test new types of gameplay :)
    Hey @Dan2013, we actually developed the Controller from scratch, first we try using the Unity Character Controller but it was very limited at the time, so we build, rebuild, re-rebuild until we get it right, until it feels good to play and solid!
    We achieve the best results using Root motion to drive the character and using Rigidbody to add new forces if needed, like extra gravity when fall, or push the player, etc...

Hmm I don't see any problem with that, let me upload somewhere and I will post the link here for you!

29. Invector

Invector

@Risc4000 :eek:

Somehow I can't be able to start a conversation with you using the Chat from the forum, can you contact me please?
    or email us at inv3ctor@gmail.com :)

30. Dan2013

Dan2013

I see. So it is a physic force based character controller.
    Implementing a good physic force controller requires much tweaking work. Awesome job.

Invector likes this.
  31. jasonMcintosh

jasonMcintosh

+1 for Rewired integration. Input is core to this asset, and Rewired is flippin' amazing for input. Win/win!

Invector likes this.
  32. Invector

Invector

Here it is the [Documentation] @Fet1
    ps* We are still writing this doc and adding stuff, but the essential is there.
    You can also acess by our [Website] in the Projects area

Last edited: Oct 2, 2015
  33. kurotatsu

kurotatsu

InControl gets my vote for controller input(my favorite for the game going to ps4), though once I see your unity input script I can make the mods myself.

I'm gonna take the plunge and buy it, though if you truly want to put all other systems to shame, you should seriously consider the requests for swimming, ladder climbing, ledge hang left and right movement, entering ledge hang from jump, and cover system at least for peaking around corners.

And to keep it modular and more versatile, I would add a bool for each system the designer might want or not on the main script, so the can toggle off say swimming, jumping, ect...

I forgot to add sneaking using the same controls you do for your aim camera but moving fwd,bck,lft,rgt in crouched position, and can roll in each of those directions while aiming, and in stealth.

If this is as easy as adding bools I'm sure I can do it myself, though I'd like to see it as a regular feature.

These are all Items I've personally added to Motion Controller, now I want to see how easy it will be to add to this.;)

34. Invector

Invector

Hey @kurotatsu thanks for you sugestions, we have plans to add more features to help people develop more 3rd Person Games with quality on Unity! - we just need to find a good animator lol

Did you see the Video Tutorial? basically you can add any type of animation using that process and make very unique gameplays, I'm really excited to see what you guys will create :D

kurotatsu likes this.
  35. kurotatsu

kurotatsu

Yeah I already watched and subscribed, which is why I mentioned the bools earlier for options. My ranged system and dodging system I wrote should work with this, I'll post a vid once I try things out. I already use Motion Controller a lot, it is a great asset, and as I can see you put a lot of work into this as well is why I'm supporting/buying it.

You have a lot of potential ahead of you with this, if you want to keep your momentum add features that are broad/modular, and can be toggled on and off.

Don't let anyone talk you into adding things that will narrow it's focus! It's better to create a full featured asset that gives a developer options to pick what they need than it is to cater to a select few(shooters being an example, where most of us who make melee games get forgot.).

Long story short add the option, but keep your eye on the big picture.

To those that want melee to use with this, I suggest using G.A.C., to those that want shooter options buy Invector's shooter add on once released, or write a small script to handle shooting that is active when aiming is true, it's not 2 hard.

To those that wonder about final IK, I'm almost certain that at least the foot IK in Final IK's grounder script will work with this. I'll test it and report back.

Just my thoughts.

Edit1:

I forgot to say I LOVE YOU ADDED RAGDOLL TRANSITIONS!!! and the audio footsteps, now I can enjoy these 2 features without the need for 2 other assets I've been using.

Invector likes this.
  36. Carmexx

Carmexx

Can you strafe, walk backwards, move forward by pressing both mouse buttons, camera zoom in/out - pretty basic options for camera control ? or could I use my own camera that does have these options with your controller ?

37. DxStd_IgnatPribylov

DxStd_IgnatPribylov

I congratulate You on the publication asset!

Invector likes this.
  38. Invector

Invector

Thank you very much for you support @kurotatsu, it's really nice to have this kind of feedback!

And oh... please take a look if works with Final IK... people has been ask about this and it's nice to have someone who have both packages to test. Our template it's pretty open to modifications, I spend a lot of time commenting the lines and we decide to leave the scripts open instead of packing into DLL's for people explore and try new things.

This G.A.C. looks pretty cool, has a lots of custom editors

Ragdoll are so funny right? lol

The character can strafe yes, and we currently don't have support for zoom in/out with the scroll, but yeah, if we received more requests we will certainly add!

Thanks!!

39. SingularitySystems

SingularitySystems

So far I am loving this... It plays very well...
    You guys did a great job with the test scene (And really almost all of the rest of the asset), there are plenty of assets on the store that ship huge, convoluted, poorly sorted scenes and just expect you to figure it out, so I'm really excited to have something I can actually play with and learn from.

I understand you're working on a combat addon... I'm very excited to see how it turns out and any update you can provide. I'm hoping we see hand-to-hand, Melee, and Shooting... and some kind of interplay between an AI controller, and the player.

One issue I ran into was when rolling the camera tends to lose track of the character.

I'd like to see a few things if you are still taking feature requests.

Allowing us to set certain things such as Jump Over to "Automatic" actions. As in, the character automatically jumps over them if they're running towards them. There are certain times when the "Press E" feels clunky during play and I'd like to be able to tweak it a bit.

Option to Walk backwards instead of turning around.

Double-Tap Direction Key to Dodge-Roll Left/Right, Dodge-Forward,Dodge Back.

Jumping. (I'm going to give your tutorial a try later today, very excited about it)

Option to go Prone and crawl.

Sliding down steep slopes.

The ability to catch ledges while falling or jumping and climb up.

Perhaps a tutorial on making an interaction function... like, pickup object. open door, turn wheel, etc.

Invector likes this.
  40. magique

magique

I sent a message via your webpage, but I forgot to ask another question so I'm posting here. Does this have a camera system for proper clipping to terrain and scene objects? If not, can another camera be used easily in place of the one provided?

And to re-iterate what others have suggested, having ladder/rope climbing would be fantastic.

41. eewoks

eewoks

I will test it, give me an hour or two, since i haven't messed around with FinalIK that much yet.
    @Invector
    Just got the Third Person Controller and im really liking it so far. If you also provide a camera and ranged combat solution im already sold on that:) (I'd also really dig an melee stance update). Great work.

Invector likes this.
  42. Invector

Invector

I'm really happy to see all you guys excited and playing around with our Template, I just like to say THANK YOU guys, it's been awesome to have your feedback and support, we have been working on this project for such a long time, this last few days has been really awesome!

Hey @magique did you play our .exe or webplayer? yeah it has clipping for colliders and I'm sure that you can easily use you own camera if you want to :)

@eewoks Thanksss man, it would be really helpful if you can play around with Final IK and our Template =o
    I don't quiet understand what you mean with "provide a camera", or did you mean a camera for ranged combat? can you show me a example?

Hey guys, we would be immensely grateful if you guys write us a review at the AssetStore, it would be really helpful :D

43. magique

magique

No, I haven't tried the webplayer yet. The computer I'm on at the moment has issues and won't work with the webplayer no matter how many times I've tried to fix it. So, I have to wait until this evening when I get back to my home computer to try it out. I'll definitely do that. And thanks for the info.

44. magique

magique

I see that you have a link to a desktop.exe demo, but when I try to get it, it just complains that the item no longer exists.

45. Invector

Invector

Wow, thanks for letting me know =o
    I will fix right now!

ps* Chrome does not support the webplayer anymore, try running on the IE or Firefox

46. magique

magique

Yes, I know, but even Firefox doesn't work on this computer. It might be due to other issues beyond my control. But if you can fix the .exe then that would be great.

47. Invector

Invector

Here it is Sir :)

[.exe Demo]

48. magique

magique

Brilliant. Absolutely brilliant. I'm sold. I will definitely pick this up. Thanks for your great work on this and for all the future upgrades planned.

Invector likes this.
  49. Invector

Invector

Thank you veeery much @magique, We are very excited to see what kind of games you guys will do with this Template :D
    if you have any questions, feel free to email us at inv3ctor@gmail.com

50. magique

magique

Just purchased it and will be trying it out this evening. If all goes well, I'll be showing it off in action in our latest game very soon. I'll be sure to post links to the videos when we do. I'm also integrating this with FinalIK so I can report on how that works out as well.

Invector likes this.