Search Unity

Controller Third Person Templates by Invector

Discussion in 'Tools In Progress' started by Invector, Aug 20, 2015.

1. Rexoto-Games

Rexoto-Games

You forgot to set the ground layer of your character to the default layer.

2. Invector

Invector

You have no idea how many emails I have to respond with that question lol, it's the first thing on the Documentation, it's in at least 3 video tutorials and we have now create a alert on the Character Inspector warning about the layers, but people still are able to miss the Layers :(:confused:

KaletheQuick and hopeful like this.
  3. Datiel12

Datiel12

Now I Feel Like an Idiot! 1:p:D Lulz Thanks!

4. Datiel12

Datiel12

Aww Come On! Now My Guy is Stuck Crouching!

5. SingularitySystems

SingularitySystems

I've now had a few days of tinkering, adjusting, modifying, etc. So far the package is great, there are a few additions I'd like to see us implement, either for the Shooter addon, or for the main asset (Or future Addons).

1. I'd like to see an optional use inventory manager to handle equipment.
    2. I'd like to see the ability to add IK Hand Positions to weapons, and modify their hand placement. This means we can use Two-handed weapons and make it look good.
    3. As above, I'd like to see an IK system for pickups. Crouch, pickup the item, or interact with an item in some way. If you have the Inventory Manager, deploy it to the manager, otherwise, equip it.
    4. Just a fun one, Unity built a great "Head Look" script that can really improve the script. It can be easily implemented.

Hit me up and I can get you the optimal settings I used to make characters swivel towards the Camera as you look around. It looks great and should be free to use. Also gives some good IK examples if you're rusty (Like I am).
    5. Slope Sliding. This will look great with the new Footstep Particles.
    6. First Person Controllers are very common, but in the future, even if you make it an Addon, having the ability to swap between First and Third Person would add a lot of value to the Asset.
    7. Ledge Grabbing would be fantastic. Same for grabbing bars, ziplines, etc.
    8. Hand-to-Hand Combat Addon or Feature.

Thanks!

jayimagination and Invector like this.
  6. abatcat

abatcat

Great work on getting this to feel very fluid and responsive. The ai bots seem to work great too, even jumping over barriers when chasing the player.
    The melee combat template still needs a range weapon or a magic system to make the gameplay complete.
    I really wanted to use Aard on the ai bots when playing the demo :D

Last edited: Mar 29, 2016
    Invector likes this.
  7. Invector

Invector

Do you see any of these alerts?
    It's one for the 3rdPersonController gameobject, change the Layer from "Default" to "Player"
    and another to the GroundLayer on the Inspector, change from "Nothing" do "Default"

8. Datiel12

Datiel12

I Looked At a Different Topic. Thanks! Also Is there anyway to have a Car with mouse look that you can Enter/Exit and still have the character?

9. jayimagination

jayimagination

I second that! :D

10. sticklezz

sticklezz

I don't think target + run work with the controller (seems fine w/ keyboard). Previous version worked fine with my joystick ...

Has the new update been submitted yet?

11. Invector

Invector

If you have a Car Controller and Enter/Exit animations you can do it lol

Hmmm Gamepad it's working just fine here, are you using the 360 gamepad?
    1.2a was submitted 27/03 it should be available soon

12. Gojira96

Gojira96

Hello,

First of all,I got to say 1.2 is absolutely briliant,thank you so much for your hard work.

I have a few questions though,.

1.I could not find it anywhere in the manual,I might have missed it,but I am interested in how you created jump from one platfrom to another in the demo for the AI.

2.Also,some AI,when using „Climb up“ ,they do not play the animation of them climbing the object,but instead teleport from „climbstart“ to „climbend“,while others work just fine.

3.Getting tons of debug messages saying:

„Thread::CurrentThreadIsMainThread()“

Is it related to this asset or could it be something else?

Not really sure what the problem is.

Thanks.

btw. If anyone else is having a problem with AI reseting the weapon position after ragdolling without dying,you need to set „Weapon“ on „Ignore Tags“ under player and AI „Ragdoll“.

This has been bugging me for some time until I figured it out. :D

13. ScaraBe

ScaraBe

Yes, Every child object of AI should be in this ignore-tag list. Same experience here o_O.
    I have also tagged handler object : "Weapon" to be sure they don't move with the ragdoll.

14. Invector

Invector

Yoo @Gojira96, the Navegation Bake generate off mesh links automatically on the scene, you can set up the distance of the drop and the jump here ;)

You can also set up manual Off mesh links for specific objects, we have some prefabs with examples, take a look into the folder Prefabs > Environment > climbup, jumpover and stepup gameobjets, inside them you will find the AI_OffMeshLinks with manual Off mesh links.

About your second question, we have made some adjusts and improve the AI on the v1.2a and we are still improving right now, so the next updates it will be more stable

Last edited: Mar 30, 2016
  15. KillerRose

KillerRose

when i run from here upload_2016-3-31_3-17-51.png

and jump
    upload_2016-3-31_3-18-43.png
    when he falling down , -> rag doll -> and stand up upload_2016-3-31_3-19-31.png
    the animation is change is jumping a few mili second to idle animation can you help me

16. ScaraBe

ScaraBe

I just realized that the head of my character wasn't moving and following object as before (before update?), seems to be rigid now, always looking forward :(
    I don't know what I did wrong (head tracking ON, spine curvature 0.7)
    Any idea?

17. Invector

Invector

@KillerRose What version are you using? we already fix this issue with the new Slopelimit method the character will slide down this ramp.

Yep, I just notice that today lol
    We have change the headtrack method to work only with state that has the tag HeadTrack
    just open your Animator Controller tab, and select the Free Movement & Strafe Movement states and apply this tag on

18. Datiel12

Datiel12

This Is So Fun Using This!!!!!! BEST TEMPLATE EVER!

Invector likes this.
  19. sticklezz

sticklezz

Will this work w/ latest Unity now?

20. Invector

Invector

Do you mean the 5.4 Beta version? -Yes we found out that is a Unity bug
    We also found the 'cure' lol - check [here]

21. Invector

Invector

Hey guys, since the AssetStore still don't approve the last update, I will send a new draft with new improvements.
    It is still v1.2a, here is the changelog:

22. sticklezz

sticklezz

this sounds like it is coming along great!

Sorry if this has been asked before- is there a way to hook up audio? Example: to sword slashes , enemy deaths, etc

again, awesome job!!!!

Last edited: Mar 31, 2016
  23. ScaraBe

ScaraBe

You saved my day :D

Invector likes this.
  24. KillerRose

KillerRose

I use 1.1d to my game shooter

25. Invector

Invector

It will be add on the next version ;)

last version available is 1.2 with the melee combat, if you don't want the melee combat features you can send me a email with your Invoice number and I can send you a clean package of the Basic Locomotion version updated :)

26. snackzilla

snackzilla

Hello Invector! I'm loving the Melee Template!

I do have a quick question about jumping. In Free Movement, I can jump no problem. In strafing mode, I see the transitions from Strafing Movement -> Jump in the animator, however when I enter strafing mode and press space bar (or jump..whatever the input is set at), It doesn't actually do anything. The "Jump" parameter in the animator stays false, and never triggers the jump animation. Is there something simple I'm missing?

27. snackzilla

snackzilla

Nevermind, I fixed it! I'm sure it was disabled for a reason, but I'm creating a Jump Left, Right, and Back while strafing blend tree (think Zelda). For anyone who's looking for the exact bit of code:

I just removed "&& !strafing" from bool jumpConditions on line 241 of the ThirdPersonController.cs script.

EDIT: Also, if you use this method to add a jump while strafing, you have to tell the controller to end and trigger the "Jump" boolean back to false so the animation doesn't keep playing over and over. I did this by adding my custom TargetJump blendtree state to the ThirdPersonAnimator.cs script.

First, on line 476, I added my custom jump blendtree to the end of "isJumping = " I literally just copied an existing line, so it ended up looking like this.

isJumping = stateInfo.IsName("Action.Jump") || stateInfo.IsName("Action.JumpMove") || stateInfo.IsName("Airborne.FallingFromJump") || stateInfo.IsName("Action.TargetJumps");

Then, I added this bit below line 515 to end the animation and trigger the Jump boolean back to false.

if (stateInfo.IsName("Action.TargetJumps"))
    {

// end jump animation
    if (stateInfo.normalizedTime >= 0.6f || hitReaction)
    jump = false;
    }

I could have used the transforms to add extra speed or height to the jump here, like Invector did to the Jump, and JumpMove actions above it but I didn't need it, so it's just a simple snippet of code telling the controller to end. Thank you so much for well commented code, Invector. Very easy to figure out!

Last edited: Mar 31, 2016
    Invector likes this.
  28. Invector

Invector

Thanks, we are doing our very best always :D

Btw - v1.2a is Available! Update time guys, don't forget to backup your project :cool:

Last edited: Apr 1, 2016
  29. abatcat

abatcat

Will the shooter addon work together with the melee combat template, as in you will be able to use both systems in the same game?
    Could be neat to be able to use both systems depending on what weapon you pick up.

30. Invector

Invector

That is exactly our intention :)

We are currently working on find ways to work with the Mecanim Body Layers using Avatar Masks, and guuuuuuuuuuys we are getting some results :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes: I can't wait to show you guys what we are working on :D

Last edited: Apr 1, 2016
  31. ScaraBe

ScaraBe

Can't wait to see this addon! maybe it could replace my current hunter script :)
    I know you are working hard on it, but can you update documentation, ?
    I would appreciate to have a documented moveset ID & attack ID on animator (blend trees ...), because sometimes i have difficulties with it (weapon hitbox set to a moveset ID (5 for example) & Animator stay to another moveset ID (1) :confused:)
    I know you have already done a video tutorial on it, but it would be nice if you could detail how to add new blend tree animations, and making link with straffing & free movement...

PS: I have not update to 1.2A yet, do you think it will fix it ?

Rock n' roll :cool:

32. Invector

Invector

@ScaraBe the moveset should change according to your weapon moveset value, and about the attack_ID, take a look into transition from Strafing Movement to Attack A, v1.2 it's missing one condition you need to add "ATK_ID Equals 1", otherwise it will always enter this state when you trigger the MeleeAttack.

I will not update the documentation right now, because we are about do a major change on the moveset lol, we will update the Moveset's to use Layers, this way you will need waaaay less animations, for example > instead of having a moveset of fwd, bwd, left, right holding a weapon, you will need only 1 animation of holding weapon and the mask will take care of the rest. You will also be able to attack while moving like The Witcher 3. We have plans to make a MeleeWeapon more generic, so that you can use on both hands, attack or defense it's going to be so awesome :eek:

33. Cartoon-Mania

Cartoon-Mania

Do you have plan to support combat like The Witcher 3 ????

34. ScaraBe

ScaraBe

Lol, ok, I'm gonna wait a little then.
    can't stand in place now, stop teasing !

35. Invector

Invector

Maybe :rolleyes:

Nevah, take this awesome gifs!!! :eek::eek::D:p

Preview of v1.3!! FullBody Hitboxs
    *Models not included, it's just for prototype

36. unicat

unicat

This is crashing my Unity. I have imported the third person controller in a new project, then opened the 3rdPersonController-Demo scene. After closing unity it crashes. My unity version : 5.3.4.p1 pro. error message:
    unity editor doesn`t work anymore.

37. HeadClot88

HeadClot88

Are there any plans to add - Support for Gibs to this third person controller?

38. Invector

Invector

I will update my 5.3.3 to your version and see whats going on
    Edit* tested on last version available 5.3.4f1 and it's working just fine, along with 5.2.0 and 5.3.3 and 5.4.0b10. Try update your version and reimport the package.

Sorry, what is Gibs?

Last edited: Apr 2, 2016
  39. HeadClot88

HeadClot88

40. Invector

Invector

Hmmm not likely to add Dismemberment since it's more personal touch for a game and required a model with separated parts which is not everybody who has it. At least for now, let's see the in the future, after the Shooter Add-on

41. unicat

unicat

It works fine in 5.4.0b12 :).

Invector likes this.
  42. kidling

kidling

There is a problem in version 1.2a?

when i add an enemy and try to play, i got that:

NullReferenceException: (null)
    UnityEditor.SerializedObject..ctor (UnityEngine.Object[] objs) (at C:/buildslave/unity/build/artifacts/generated/common/editor/SerializedPropertyBindings.gen.cs:74)
    UnityEditor.Editor.GetSerializedObjectInternal () (at C:/buildslave/unity/build/artifacts/generated/common/editor/EditorBindings.gen.cs:154)
    UnityEditor.Editor.get_serializedObject () (at C:/buildslave/unity/build/artifacts/generated/common/editor/EditorBindings.gen.cs:147)
    UnityEditor.GameObjectInspector.OnEnable () (at C:/buildslave/unity/build/Editor/Mono/Inspector/GameObjectInspector.cs:88)
    NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object
    Invector.AIAnimator.OnAnimatorMove () (at Assets/Invector-3rdPersonController/Scripts/CharacterAI/AIAnimator.cs:457)

But i can run the demo scene without errors. Are there a step before adding enemy? I am trying to follow this tutorial

on 1.2 works great, only in 1.2a i get the error

Last edited: Apr 3, 2016
  43. Invector

Invector

You need to add the melee manager component, otherwise you will get a error (not sure if it is this one that you show)
    - there is a little bug because of 1 verification on v1.2a that we already fix on v1.2b (it will be available soon, we already send it)

Last edited: Apr 3, 2016
  44. abatcat

abatcat

I have some more suggestions after messing with it for a while, though I'm sure you already have plenty of your own.

-stealth kills if you manage to sneak up to the bots undetected.
    -pocket sand !! to blind the enemies:D
    -An ability to throw your weapon at the bots in the fit of rage or because of careful strategic planning Hotline Miami style. It could also make the fighting more strategic especially if some weapons were more effective against other kinds of weapons.

45. SingularitySystems

SingularitySystems

Does anyone know how to fix the "Mouth Wide Open" bug when using this in conjunction with the Morph Character System. The MCS used to be compatible with Invector, but now this bug is making things a little ridiculous.

46. Invector

Invector

It's not quiet a bug, it's just the jaw bone of your character... this also happens with the warrior character from the BlackSmith. Just open your rig mapping options and remove the Jaw, I think that this happens because the animation bone doesn't have the jaw and the character has and doesn't know what to do lol

47. SingularitySystems

SingularitySystems

Excellent, thanks man. I always forget about the Anim Avatars...

48. hopeful

hopeful

I believe it is basically because the default setting (0) in mecanim is to have the jaw open. You have to either disable the jaw as suggested above, or always set it to closed (1).

Invector likes this.
  49. snackzilla

snackzilla

Looking great with the unarmed hit boxes and such! I can't wait to play with it. On a somewhat unrelated note, do you guys have news with any sort of native integration with PlayMaker or plyGame and stuff? I knew earlier on, y'all were considering something like that, I just didn't know if it had been put on the back-burner because of all these other neat features being added.

kidling likes this.
  50. Invector

Invector

We did purchase PlayMaker a while ago for integration, but honestly we did not see what can be integrate on the CharacterController, If I'm not mistake, we even ask for suggestion here on the forum. The impression that I have is that Playmaker is more for level/ai interaction, and we have plans to add some generic methods to the AI like Follow, GoTo, Stop, etc... If you have any suggestion for the Controller, we're all ears :)