Search Unity

Controller Third Person Templates by Invector

Discussion in 'Tools In Progress' started by Invector, Aug 20, 2015.

1. KaletheQuick

KaletheQuick

It's looking at the root object. But It's also technically not. It displays ThirdPersonController, but if you have two in the scene and one ragdolls, the camera switches to the other one as it stands up, without the menu displaying the new target, even though it is clearly following a different thing. So what the camera is following and where it is pointing must be somewhere else.

Also I am using the female lite version of MCS, and unity personal edition.

2. Invector

Invector

Hi there @KaletheQuick, thanks for purchase and support our asset :)

You can play around with the camera settings, in your case I believe you just need to increase the Height value.

3. Invector

Invector

Hey guys I posted about the Melee Combat Update preview on our Blog
    and also create a little FAQ and a Release Note page that will be included at the Invector's 3rd Person Controller menu on the next update ;)

Important v1.1d Ladder quick fix
    open your ThirdPersonMotor script and just add a condition !usingLadder on the bool freeLocomotionConditions, it should be like this:
    Code (CSharp):
    1. public bool freeLocomotionConditions
    2.     {
    3.         get
    4.         {
    5.             if (locomotionType.Equals(LocomotionType.OnlyStrafe)) strafing = true;
    6.             return !strafing && !usingLadder && !landHigh && !locomotionType.Equals(LocomotionType.OnlyStrafe) || locomotionType.Equals(LocomotionType.OnlyFree);
    7.         }
    8.     }

Last edited: Feb 15, 2016
  4. PhosphorUnity

PhosphorUnity

Do you have a estimate when that update will be released?

5. KaletheQuick

KaletheQuick

Yes. I had tried that. It followed the MCS charachter perfectly fine, but then when it followed the default Vbot it was way over it's head. Ill try troubleshooting more after work today. Thank you very much for the quick response ^_^

6. Invector

Invector

We still have a lot of work to do to make it "publishable", creating a AI and a Combat system like this is no easy pie :p
    Here some of the stuff we are working right now:

- Working on a better collision detection with rigibody for the weapon
    - Trigger a recoil animation when hit a wall
    - Create a prefab of weapons that you can pick up/drop
    - Create a new AI Wizard like the Character Creator window
    - AI use sters
    - AI can use defense and add a option to only attack (usefull for zombies or other creatures)
    - Polish the Lock-On system (update in real time close enemy's to switch)
    - Update documentation and create video tutorials

I know that you guys are waiting for a while now, but we are working very hard to make the best system possible, and we will release when we think it's good enough, I believe this could be a couple more weeks.

The ideal workflow is for you to have one CameraState List Data per character, since every model has different height and proportions, you will rarely use the same set up, so you can even duplicate the currently CameraState List or create a new by openning the 3rd Person Controller menu > Resources > New CameraState List Data. You can see that we have 1 List Data for each demo scene, because they have unique configurations.

7. wood333

wood333

Some posters above have asked about the differences among the leading character controllers (Third Person Controller, Third Person Controller Template and Motion Controller. Maybe I can help a little.

1. Price. They are all worth every penny the ask for. Period!

2. Features (animated actions). Third Party Controller is the oldest and has the most, but the other two are in the process of adding combat to their excellent locomotion actions. All three are a bit slow to provide all the actions we want, and will often tell us we are expected to make our own for various reasons. Some actions are treated like the unwanted uncle. Planet Earth is mostly composed of water, but we get swimming last. TPC has the American Crawl (free style), and TPCT and MC are working it into their plans. Archery has been commonplace for thousands of years, bow hunter have their own season in most of the US, and Genghis Kahn rolled over Asia using them, but we get that last too, (TPC only so far.) As I am posting on Third Person Controller Template, let me say I am very excited with the sword and shield combat teasers above.

3. Cameras provided. All are good and Motion Controller sells separate cameras with additional features.

4. Modularity. Motion Controller is the most modular, with lots of check boxes.

5. Customer Service. All are very active on their forums and reply to questions.

6. Third Party Integration. Being the oldest, Third Party Controller has the most. The other two are considering integrations, but it takes time and their core features take precedence.

7. Responsiveness of the character to controls. This is how I found Third Person Controller Template. Both Third Party Controller and Motion Controller have nicely animated but sluggish characters out of the box. While there are solutions for this, Third Person Controller Template is nimble out of the box. Compare all the web demos and you'll see.

8. Plays well with other assets. So far I have found Motion Controller to work best with other assets (without integration packages). For instance, If I place a camera in each of my scenes, I can change scenes without difficulty, even inside Ork Framework. MC will find my camera and set its target to a selected child object of my Player, (that I have positioned over the shoulder). Third Person Controller does the most, but seems to be the most difficult to integrate. Personally, I don't have much time to delve into code, so I need things common to games, like scene changes, to work out of the box. This isn't a shortcoming unique to motion controllers. Try getting a weather asset to stay hooked up through a scene changer.

9. AI. Third Person Controller developer has its own AI asset, Behavior Designer (a behavior tree with additional packs for sale), and other third party integrations. Motion Controller has integration with Behavior Designer and with Node Canvas. Third Person Controller Template is about to release their first AI with their upcoming combat package, ( see their teaser videos above).

Final thoughts:

Third Party Controller is the oldest and most developed. Look at their web demos. If you like the movement, weapons, 3rd party integrations, Behavior Designer AI and other built in features, get it.

Motion Controller is the programmers delight. Very modular, very thought out, clean and powerful. But it is new and you may need to program some to get the most out of it. The designer offers an Input Controller and Cameras that are equally well though out and just plain work together. The developer is very responsive.

Third Party Controller Template has nimble movement out of the box and is about to offer combat that looks pretty cool. This asset has great promise. It looks as though it may be the easiest to add new actions, but some programming is necessary. If the combat is good, this will be the fastest controller to get into your game (with careful import and setup) and have looking good. If you want to get your product out with a good look, fast, and the combat is as good as the teasers, buy Third Party Controller Template.

Finally, my wish list.

Combat - one hand, two hand, dual, weapon and shield, guns and (war) bows.
    Movement - already looks good, but nice to have swimming, diving, and need I suggest (gasp), mounts!
    Animations - Just give us the code. I will use some of yours and/or buy mocap off the asset store. (You worry too much about this).
    Make moving platforms and scene changing drop dead easy.
    Give me as many actions as you can, and easy check boxes, so I can choose.
    Go out and have a beer on me, because you have a great asset!

jayimagination, Invector and Kenaz like this.
  8. Kory-therapy

Kory-therapy

9. loadexfa

loadexfa

This is why I selected the Third Person Controller Template. I played the demos and could see this was the most responsive and felt like a real game rather than a work in progress demo.

wood333 and KaletheQuick like this.
  10. jayimagination

jayimagination

I was wondering if you can elaborate a little more on the AI. How easy would it be to create new behaviors, will senses and perception be apart of the AI functionality?
    Thanks

P.S. also are you guys take request for features for the AI part?

Last edited: Feb 16, 2016
  11. Jawadov

Jawadov

Can u please add enter/exit car animation like gta ?

12. KaletheQuick

KaletheQuick

Invector likes this.
  13. Invector

Invector

Our plan was to make a very simple AI just to have a example in the project, but as we developed the AI start to get really cool, so we decide to put a extra effort to make it more awesome, but AI is a very complex feature to have, if you take a look at the AssetStore most of the Controllers doesn't come with AI Solution, they are sold separally.

But in our case, our 3rd Person Controller structure worked very well for the AI, so if you are familiar with the TPController scripts, we can easily handle new behaviours to the AI.

We will not take request's for the AI, because they use the same features as the Player. But of course you can customize stuff like distance detection, field of view, attack frequency, random waypoints, etc...

jayimagination likes this.
  14. Chaz32621

Chaz32621

Any fix for when a model gets up from a ragdoll animation and there feet and legs are all wiggly like??

15. KaletheQuick

KaletheQuick

Im having troubles with the ragdoll reset too. My unanimated components of the game object seem to shift when the model resets.
    Resulting in things like this pic, where the different meshes of a gun are falling apart.
    Unity Ragdoll object shifting.png
    Watch the whole ragdoll cycle frame by frame (with the >| key next to the play and pause ones, remember to switch to scene view so you can look about) and try to isolate when exactly your error is arising. For mine, I watched every frame, and the shifting started to happen after ragdolling, and when it started to animate standing up. I don't know if it was the Invector specific implementation of ragdoll, because this is the first ragdoll system I have used, but I noticed in the ragdoll code there was some caching of pre-ragdoll positions of bones. I think it might be that the parts for non bones are not being cached, and then somehow drifting during lerping from rag to anim.

If that was too technical then I'm sorry. I have been trying to solve this problem for almost a week now.

16. Chaz32621

Chaz32621

Yah this is my first time around with ragdoll as well. I have just been going through all the code bound to find a fix. This is what im getting.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/3w160ty363erea7/2016-02-18.png?dl=0

17. Chaz32621

Chaz32621

I commented out this line of code under ragdoll.cs file. The transition isnt as good but it dosnt get all crappy looking lol. Gonna play with it some.

foreach (BodyPart b in bodyParts)
    {
    if (b.transform!=transform)
    { //this if is to prevent us from modifying the root of the character, only the actual body parts
    //position is only interpolated for the hips
    if (b.transform == animator.GetBoneTransform(HumanBodyBones.Hips))
    b.transform.position = Vector3.Lerp(b.transform.position, b.storedPosition, ragdollBlendAmount);
    //rotation is interpolated for all body parts
    // b.transform.rotation = Quaternion.Slerp(b.transform.rotation, b.storedRotation, ragdollBlendAmount);
    }
    }

The rotation is what I commented out.

18. Invector

Invector

@KaletheQuick You can easily fix this by puting a Tag on your gameobject and adding this to the Ignore Tags list on the Ragdoll Script, this is all written on our Documentation.

@Chaz32621 Don't worry Chaz, I'm sure that we can find a solution for your ragdoll issue, usually this kind of bug happens because of bad rigging, try testing with other models to see if the glitch still happen, and if it's possible can you send me your fbx model at inv3ctor@gmail.com ? I will take a look personally. ;)

Last edited: Feb 18, 2016
  19. Chaz32621

Chaz32621

I think its due to so many extra attachments. That maybe something to add in another version. I will send you an fbx of it. I just think its the fact that theres so many extra parts then the standard ones. However I did find a small fix for it.

Apologies for getting mad. I do really enjoy your product. I will send you an fbx model. Everything else works fine however.

Invector likes this.
  20. Invector

Invector

No worries @Chaz32621, I just take a look at your model and she has a insane amount of bones, most of them are empty... I really recommend you to re-rig this model, perhaps using Mixamo's auto rigger? I'm sure that this will solve the problem ;)

21. KaletheQuick

KaletheQuick

@Invector, you are the best. I feel like a putz for skimming past that in the docs, and bothering the forum. But this has been proven to be money well spent. You are very helpful and again I look forward to your future releases! Let me know if you ever need any help ^_^

I'm working on making shooter bits, and expanding the action (vault, jump, climb) parts to no longer require special colliders. If I get it working smoothly ill give it to you so you can add it to your package if you want.

Invector likes this.
  22. Invector

Invector

Wow niceee man, I really like to see you guys playing around and trying to add new stuff :D
    and you don't need to spend weeks breaking your head into a issue, you guys can email us any time at inv3ctor@gmail.com we are glad to answer all your questions :)

23. Chaz32621

Chaz32621

I was thinking so, ha not sure why iclone6 makes so many extra parts

24. Invector

Invector

You guys!!! you guuuuys!! good stuff coming :eek:

I will post some news tomorrow, we have been working on making pickup/drop weapons and a MeleeWeapon creator
    Also, pretty nice AI behaviour with Block and rolling change, you guys will be able to create dumb/smart AI like Skeletons/Zombies with slow movement and attacks, no defense, etc... and Quick smart mot*erfu**kers that rolls and defend your attacks lol. stay tuned. :cool:

25. Invector

Invector

Here is some news guys, :D

We have been work very hard to make sure that this system feels like a real melee combat game and not just a prototype/tutorial that you can find on youtube. It's pretty customizable, so you can make tons of weapons, movesets, different attack animations, different AI behaviours, etc...

For example, here is our Hitbox for the MeleeWeapon, you can set up the main damage of the weapon and customize into 2 sections, for example > the top of the sword has 30% of damage while the center has 70%. If you hit the enemy from a certain distance and hit only the top, the enemy will take less damage. The red hitbox at the bottom is for hitRecoil when you hit a wall of something. (sound effects and particles will come too, but next version)

You can also make weapons that break the defense in case the AI/Player is blocking, and also activate the Ragdoll.
    We will also create a hitbox for the Shield, so that you can be attacked from behind while blocking.

Your ATK_ID will define what set of combo animations the weapon will trigger
    *this image is just a example, we will include only the OneHandedSword state with 3 combo attack animations.

You can also customize the way your character moves around when he has a weapon equipped, by changing the MoveSet_ID

You can now set up the AI to defense while in combat and also rolling when you attack.

In this gif you guys can see that we can replace our current weapons by picking up weapons and shields on the ground, when you die or the IA dies, they will drop their weapons allowing the player to pick up.
    All the AI movements are customizable, you can set up attack frequency, defense, rolling, etc...

In this example I set up the Axe to do more damage, break the defense and activate the ragdoll, also it will consume more stamina for the player.

Sorry for the delay you guys, but we don't wanna rush things just to make a quick bucky, we wanna delivery a very top melee combat.

Btw we will publish this 1.2 update FREE of charge for everyone who has purchase our template as we promissed, but this package will turn into the Melee Combat version on the AssetStore and the price of the package will increase. We will upload the Basic Locomotion version again (current 1.1d version) for the people who don't wanna use the melee combat features for the same price as today ($59.99) with option to upgrade to the Melee Combat. ;)

Teles - Invector Team

26. Chaz32621

Chaz32621

Ha, reminds me of assassin creed lol

27. jcarrick

jcarrick

This looks amazing - I can't wait to start messing with all the new features!!

Last edited: Feb 25, 2016
    Invector likes this.
  28. Pat19645

Pat19645

I think i found a little bug ( or i'm doing something wrong :) ), when i climb a ladder and wait while i'm on the ladder, the random idle animations play like i'm on the ground.

29. wood333

wood333

The melee looks great! However, since my project has both melee and range, I was wondering what your plans would be for guns and bows?

30. Invector

Invector

It's a bug lol, we totally forgot about the randomIdle method, but is super easy to fix, just open your ThirdPersonAnimator and on the method RandomIdle() replace the !strafing for !actions, this should fix :)

We will start working on Fire weapons after a stable release of the v1.2, it will be release as the Shooter Addon ;)

jayimagination, wood333 and Pat19645 like this.
  31. Kiwi-Hawk

Kiwi-Hawk

Strange, suddenly I'm getting this error when trying to import a char, even with the V-bot. I re-imported the package, clean it out re-imported and still get this

MissingComponentException: There is no 'Rigidbody' attached to the "3rdPersonController" game object, but a script is trying to access it.
    You probably need to add a Rigidbody to the game object "3rdPersonController". Or your script needs to check if the component is attached before using it.
    CreateCharacterEditor.Create () (at Assets/Invector-3rdPersonController/Scripts/CharacterCreator/Script/Editor/CreateCharacterEditor.cs:214)
    CreateCharacterEditor.OnGUI () (at Assets/Invector-3rdPersonController/Scripts/CharacterCreator/Script/Editor/CreateCharacterEditor.cs:127)
    System.Reflection.MonoMethod.Invoke (System.Object obj, BindingFlags invokeAttr, System.Reflection.Binder binder, System.Object[] parameters, System.Globalization.CultureInfo culture) (at /Users/builduser/buildslave/mono-runtime-and-classlibs/build/mcs/class/corlib/System.Reflection/MonoMethod.cs:222)

32. Invector

Invector

Strage indeed @Kiwi-Hawk, did you have any other asset imported? maybe it's a conflict (a user reported a conflict with other asset a while ago, a package of skybox if I'm not mistake)... and what's your Unity version?

33. Kiwi-Hawk

Kiwi-Hawk

5.3.2f1 I have a few other assets like Gaia, Ceto Big Environment Pack but they are nothing to do with the char and I have had them in working before. I will try rebuild the project and see if things sort out, I did update the Adam & Eva pack from the single Eva pack to the one that has both a male and a female char

34. DarkXess

DarkXess

Hey mate, thinking of buying this but first I want to know if it has more than just the 2 audio sources for footsteps as shown in this video @1:40 ie such as walking in water, gravel, etc etc...

35. Invector

Invector

You can set up as many custom surfaces as you want to, this system works by texture or material name.
    Here is a preview of the new editor (just new skin), first you drag and drop the audio clips to a Default Surface, that will play this clips in a random sequence as the default footstep, then you create a new Custom Surface and apply new audio clips to a specific surface.

DarkXess likes this.
  36. SingularitySystems

SingularitySystems

Man, you guys have been busy since I've been distracted with other projects... Looking forward to the release, and addon.

jayimagination likes this.
  37. DarkXess

DarkXess

So when you say new editor then I take it this is a new feature coming soon or already part of it?

Thanks too for the reply :)

38. yhummel

yhummel

Ey Invector, Any chance to get anticipated access to the combat files? I would happy pay an extra to start developing with them (even if its not a product ready for the asset store)

Best.

39. jayimagination

jayimagination

If you're willing to wait, it is a free update. I would say it should be available within another week or two (may be wrong)I'm basing it on an earlier post from invector. Then once a stable release of 1.2 then they start the shooter add-on, that some of us are waiting on.

40. caldepen

caldepen

Sorry if this has been answered or shown already, but do you have a video or the like showing how one would import their own character and get it working smoothly using this system? And what stage would that character need to be at in order to be able to be importable? I apologize for the ignorance!

41. jayimagination

jayimagination

caldepen likes this.
  42. Invector

Invector

It's just a preview of the new skin, all this footstep features are already included since v1.0 ;)

We will be glad do receive any extra if you guys want to support more our work, but it's just like jay sayed the combat release it's almost gold and will be release very soon :p

@caldepen check this video that jay posted, ps* thanks again jay o/

DarkXess and jayimagination like this.
  43. blackbird

blackbird

still no updates for third person shooter ?

44. jayimagination

jayimagination

Give them a few weeks to finalize the 1.2 update and then soon after we'll get that shooter. Hopefully mid March, early April.

45. Chaz32621

Chaz32621

Invector, thought Id just write to you on here instead of another email ahahah. I got the cam rotating working correctly. That is 100 now! Although I ran into an issue with once the character collides with a object that has the damage object script and then goes into ridged body. They fly way up in the air. What variable or variables does this relate to? I can't find anything. But at times my character will hit an object and fly wayyy up in the sky. Kinda crazy lol.

46. tubbz0r

tubbz0r

Hey, I just bought this asset today, once importing it on my existing project I get an error: 'Extentions' does not contain a dfefinition for 'ClampAngle'. On line 290 and 291 in TPCamera.cs. I also dont see the Invector drop down in the engine. Help!!

47. Invector

Invector

I had a similar behaviour with a model once, the problem was that the head collider was gigantic (something to do with the scale of the bones, the ragdoll will create the colliders based on the rotation/size of the bones) so, check your colliders and make sure that they have a proportional size.

Hi @tubbz0r thanks for purchase, you probably have other script called Extentions and they are conflicting to each other.
    Also, it's never a good idea to just import a complete project into another project, please take a look into the First Run section as we explain about this on our Documentation.

48. tubbz0r

tubbz0r

Thanks for the reply, I managed to fix it. One question, If I have a player in a scene with TPCamera targeting that player then I instantiate another player into the scene, TPCamera seems to switch it's target to a second player automatically, any way I could remove this?

49. Invector

Invector

Open your ThirdPersonController script and on the Start, go to the InitialSetup method, there you will find the condition that makes the character the camera target. You can add another condition to only make the character the target if the target == null

KaletheQuick likes this.
  50. Invector

Invector

Dark Bots or V-Souls? :p

Guys, version 1.2 is almost gold we finish code almost everything and now begin the testing phase, making sure that are no errors when creating stuff. Documentation is also being updated ;) release date is veeery soon, make sure to get your weapons ready.

We also included a new menu to help with links and check for updates

New Character Creator and Melee Weapon Creator

Last edited: Mar 3, 2016