Search Unity

1. New Unity Live Help updates. Check them out here!

Dismiss Notice

Third Person Game Foundation Kit [RELEASED]

Discussion in 'Assets and Asset Store' started by Jakeiiii, Jul 15, 2015.

1. Jakeiiii

Jakeiiii

Attention all!
    After weeks of ironing out bugs, the asset is in a much more solid state (but not perfect, mind you). So, before I do the finishing touches (such as make it prettier, confirm integrations and go on to do the documentations and so on) I'd like to make sure that the asset is as bug-free and solid as possible for the final release.

This is why I need some external testers, which means some of you guys will get to experience the final version before others and be the last to suggest improvements and fixes.

So how will I select who will be a tester? Well:
    1 - You must already own the asset, and may need to show proof of purchase if I'm not 100% sure you already own it.
    2 - You will download the current version via a repository through SourceTree, so knowledge of the program is helpful but not necessary.
    3 - Be able to do proper testing; write down all information possible when you encounter a bug and be available for discussions regarding any found bugs.
    4 - Have a Skype account for easy contact.
    5 - Agree to a non-disclosure agreement written by yours truly (nothing shady, just so I can trust you not to redistribute the final version before it is officially released... not that it's okay to be distributing the asset otherwise).

This is also unpaid so do not expect any form of payment from me for participating as it's purely a voluntary act. The most I can do is credit you in the documentation, so you'll have that. :)

So yeah! There are some new surprise features to look forward to, so there's that to entice you into testing; and the asset's that much closer to being finished. I'm only looking for about 3 testers or so, so if you aren't selected then take no offence as it's basically first come, first serve (assuming you can meet the above criteria).

Start a private conversation with me on here if you're interested! Be sure to have proof of purchase ready if I don't already know you own the asset (@SecondBake it's cool, I know you own it), but others I have to just make sure.

Alverik likes this.
  2. Vio133

Vio133

Hi, I just bought the asset, and it's all up and working. I've been trying to put in my own character model by exchanging the Proto model's meshes for mine, and it's all set up with the armature. The problem is that I only just realized that the animations aren't in the Blender file, and I can't open or import the FBX files in Blender. I guess I can always make my own animations, but it would be easier to have the default ones to start off with.

3. ElectroMantis

ElectroMantis

The animations should be there in blender's action editor (I can view them fine).

Though if you're using the exact same rig (same bone structure), you can probably hook up the old animation controller in Unity to the new model and it should retarget. (I can't verify this, as I did make all my animations from scratch.)

If that's the case you shouldn't need to export the animations with your model at all, just use the ones from the fbx.

Jakeiiii and Alverik like this.
  4. Vio133

Vio133

I got it to work, looks like I misinterpreted something. Thanks for responding though. :)

5. magique

magique

I bought this a while ago and now just starting to test it out. The first thing I encountered was a bunch of annoying compiler bugs where you have code wrapped in some comments as follows:

//*REMOVETHISFORBUILDING*//

You should get rid of this code. I shouldn't have to edit a bunch of scripts and comment out code just to build a game with this.

6. magique

magique

I just tried to run the demo scene on the Wii U and I get the following crash:

Code (CSharp):
    1. Unhandled Exception: UnityEngine.UnityException: Tag: Handler is not defined.
    3. ----------
    4. ERROR
    5. Trying to exit main thread and end the process.
    6. This is not supported on Xbox 360 or Wii U.
    7. Most likely cause - raising a managed exception in native code without icall wrappers.
    8. ----------

7. Jakeiiii

Jakeiiii

8. magique

magique

I'll check the Tag manager tonight. I don't know what happened there. It seemed to work fine in the editor.

9. Alverik

Alverik

By the way, you have (or still have?) the price wrong in your website... it's saying 15$... you should really fix that, lol (for a second I though you had a discount right now... and I'm poor, so I got happy for a moment xD).

10. Jakeiiii

Jakeiiii

Hello all!

Sorry for the lack of activity over the last few months. The final version has been making slow progress, essentially since I've been doing higher-priority projects leaving me with little time to finish off this project. So I'll now be doing things a little differently.

Since all the bugs have been ironed out and testing has run its course, I think the final version is in a stable-enough state to be released! It hasn't received the glamorous makeover that I wanted it to, but what's most important is the functionality and that new and existing users of the assets receive any updates to bugs and issues as soon as possible. So what I'll try to get done by the end of the week is to:

-Do one last round of testing, for luck,
    -Annotate the scripts
    -Update the user manual and documentation
    -Submit the asset to the store, available for purchase/update

I may eventually get around to sorting out integration and adding more visually-pleasing assets, but it's not what's most important here and I don't want to keep people waiting anymore. I will continue to support the asset and work to help users with their issues, but as far as development goes, it's going to be a 'maybe' after this upcoming update since it's not going towards improving the core functionality but just making it look prettier and more appealing on the store.

Thank you all!
    -Yan

Alverik and ElectroMantis like this.
  11. Jakeiiii

Jakeiiii

Version 2.0 has just been submitted to the asset store! I will keep everyone updated on when it released. And just between you and me, it'll be going for sale at 40% off as soon as it possibly can after release. :D

12. ElectroMantis

ElectroMantis

Looking forward to the release, I'm sure it will be worth the wait.

Jakeiiii and Alverik like this.
  13. Jakeiiii

Jakeiiii

Hey everyone! Version 2.0 is finally out and ready to download!
    STORE PAGE

I have put it up for the sale program and I'm waiting for a response still - I'll keep you all updated on when/if I get the asset on a temporary sale.

Anyway, I hope you all enjoy the final version! As always, if any bugs crop up, just let me know. ;)

Hamesh81, Bhanshee00 and Alverik like this.
  14. Alverik

Alverik

The video for the asset looks amazing! So much more polished :) Better graphics and all the gameplay looks excellent! if I had the money right now, I'd get it even just for the camera :) Though there is one thing I noticed in it which could be tweaked. The speed in which the camera follows the player when he jumps and falls is a little too fast (not sure in which camera mode, but it shows in the video around 31s), and it could get annoying or make some people feel dizzy.

Anyway, there's this awesome GDC talk which covers cameras really nicely (specially third person cameras), maybe' it'll give you some ideas: 50 Game Camera mistakes. (Sadly, I'm just an amateur programmer, so it's hard for me to do some of this stuff myself even if I know the tips).

Also, do you have a save system to remember the carried inventory items and health across gameplay sessions? I didn't quite see anything mentioned about that, but I'm sure some people will expect there to be something of the sort.

Finally, I don't live in the United states and inflation/economy is very different here so it'll be a long while before I can get the asset, but I can't wait to get it sometime. Anyway, I'll spread the voice. I really hope the asset does well. And congrats!

Last edited: Nov 23, 2016
  15. rosor

rosor

congrats on the release of V2.0. Looks great. question: are you using mecanim animations with root motion or not? how did you handle the player's movement? you should edit your documentation with a detailed list of all the items that you need in order to "reskin" your project (character, with head separate , number of animations and their type, the sprite or images for the HUD etc...)

16. Jakeiiii

Jakeiiii

Hey Alverik, thank you so much! The camera speed settings can be adjusted (damp times) and if you'd need help getting the camera to work a specific way, my contact email is always there to lend you a hand. I have actually watched that video and have used that as a guideline for my camera, so hopefully that shows when you play it.
    When making a save system it's best to really write it around your custom items yourself; you can simply have a PlayerPref for each variable of an item (quantity, hasItem, etc.) and just Set/Get the key on Save/Load.
    I've sent off an application to get the asset on sale (40% off) so see if that'll make it easier for you when/if it kicks in.
    Thanks again!

rosor likes this.
  17. rosor

rosor

Any plans on adding mecanim humanoid / generic with root motion support? your system looks great for sure. Any plans on creating another kit that would come along that one, like an AI kit for enemies and NPC in the Zelda style ( normal enemies, flying enemies, bosses, Friendly AI etc...
    Also in your NPC dialogue do you plan on adding playing a sound for each response etc?

Jakeiiii likes this.
  18. Jakeiiii

Jakeiiii

19. Hamesh81

Hamesh81

Looks like a fantastic update, well done!

Alverik likes this.
  20. Jakeiiii

Jakeiiii

There's been no reply about getting the asset on sale so... don't get your hopes up for it to go on sale any time soon. :p

21. keepthachange

keepthachange

Just bought it. Didn't even try the demo. I was checking the store out for that gem and I ran across your pack looks nice can't wait to try it out. The video was awesome btw.

Alverik likes this.
  22. markpollard1

markpollard1

The demo works really nice, the hill and terrain height detection is something i have been trying to do with my character controller, can i ask how you achieved this?

23. Jakeiiii

Jakeiiii

All I can really say without sharing any coding details is basically the idea of it; there are checks ahead and behind of the character relative to the camera's view and it rotates the camera up/down to an angle depending on with check is above the other and the difference between them.

24. crashon182

crashon182

Hi, I installed the kit but when I run the demo scene the character does not move, it gives problems with the configuration of the input: I go to Edit-> project settings -> Input and it has the default configuration. In other words, the different actions are attached to the keyboard keys. I wanted to know that I have to configure it to work. thank you very much!

25. Jakeiiii

Jakeiiii

Hi crashon,

You need to put the InputManager.asset file bundled with the asset into the Project Settings folder of your project (let it override the existing file). In future, please use my support email for other issues and queries; this and more information can be found in the User Manual bundled with the asset. :)

26. rayjt9

rayjt9

Hi, downloaded and been using the asset and it honestly seems great so far.

Couple small issues I've had and wonder if there's a way around them short of inserting my own code into certain functions - When you're "z-targetting" something, and you press side-jump/backflip and jump at the same time, the character does a super jump. Not sure what's causing that (I have jump function/mid-air jumping/on button jumping enabled and all other jump options disabled.)
    I'm assuming it just adds the jump velocity onto the backflip velocity so I'm thinking a fix could be if I find where the jump function or z-target-dodging is, and add a check to see if they're pressing more than one button maybe.

The other thing I'm finding is that when you jump, oftentimes it doesn't do your jump animation and just stays in the walk animation or idle animation. I've messed around with a ton of the tolerances in the animator window but nothing seems to solve that. Any ideas?

Many thanks in advance (and many thanks for making such a great asset also!)

EDIT: Been trying to sort the jump animation on my own, and even manually added a call to set the jump animation trigger as well as just do an anim.Play as soon as the button is pressed and it still sometimes just has him walk or stand in the air rather than jumping. Not sure what else to try...

EDIT 2: I got in touch with Jakeiii who was really quickly able to fix every issue I had with this as well as help me understand some stuff I wasn't aware of too. Thanks!!! :)

Last edited: Jun 8, 2017
  27. tequyla

tequyla

nice stuff Sir.

is updated for unity3d 2017.x ?

is possible to udpate your website with new webgl system because demo are not playable ( player deprecated).

+++

28. Jakeiiii

Jakeiiii

It should work for 2017 but I can double check (the project is over a year old now). And I'll try to get a demo up and running; there should be downloadable builds too for most standalone systems.

29. scudman

scudman

Hello, first of all I do enjoy your kit a lot and could customize it well so far :)
    But I ran into a little problem maybe you can help me out.
    I wanted to damage the Player in a PlayerDamage Script and reduce the hearts when entering an enemy trigger.
    I don't really understand how the ChangeHealth of your HUD.cs works.
    How can I access it and change the amount of hearts?

You mentioned in an older video that it would be easily possible to lose and refill hearts.
    Would really appreciate if you could help me with this since I am very new to this and google wasn't helpful at all :s

Thanks for reading:)

30. keepthachange

keepthachange

Cant figure out how to make new weapon.
    I put pick up script added it to item dictionary.
    I'd like it to be walked over and picked up then whatever weapon I'm holding be replaced by that one. But it won't even be checked hasitem on script.

31. Black_Raptor

Black_Raptor

Someone tryed this asset on an recent version ? Like Unity 2018.3+

32. JC_LEON

JC_LEON

up .-..same question for me ..

and for users using it.. is this asset easy to modify and extend and a save load system could be easily added too?

33. magique

magique

@Jakeiiii The video on the asset store page says it is private so it can't be viewed.

unityunity