Search Unity

Third person cover controller

Discussion in 'Assets and Asset Store' started by EduardasFunka, May 23, 2017.

1. IndieGeek

IndieGeek

But what are the things which are not present in top down version like I guess less animation and...?

2. zenGarden

zenGarden

All tps player controller system and camera like uncharted games player.

The update has been announced some time ago, and the mobile version is not available while it has common AI with Third Person version, the mobile doesn't require more work.

Last edited: Jan 10, 2018
    IndieGeek likes this.
  3. EduardasFunka

EduardasFunka

new feature announcements usually does not mean abandoning project :) it's coming very soon

Unplug and zenGarden like this.
  4. EduardasFunka

EduardasFunka

Version 1.4 submitted. Tomorow Top-down

Rahd and zenGarden like this.
  5. f1chris

f1chris

oh cool. Many changes since the beta copy we had access to before Christmas or mostly bug fixes ?

6. EduardasFunka

EduardasFunka

performance bug + regroup feature for AI.

f1chris likes this.
  7. zenGarden

zenGarden

Yes :)

8. Unplug

Unplug

9. Rahd

Rahd

the book is paper based.
    c'est bien , le livre a vendre sur amazon , explique tout les algorithme de recherche..
    si tu utilises visual studio il ya un forum qui partage les technique d'un jeux mmorpg et en francais .
    google cadernis . you can find a star pathfinding code source of a very famous game
    PS: for educational use only .

Last edited: Jan 11, 2018
  10. AnthonyMyers

AnthonyMyers

Can I get the latest build I sent you an email 3days with no replie I did also send my invoice # but not a photo copy of my billing information (sorry if this isn't enough I can always omit the personal info if you actually need the photo copy)

11. Neviah

Neviah

Would you ever make a player setup feature in the Editor menus? Like, it'll ask for you to drop a prefab/model and it'll just attach the scripts to it, apply correct rigging, etc? I tried making a character like in your video and kind of found myself frustrated XD

Additionally, the same could be done for AI, and you'll have a dropdown list that ask you to select which AI you want, like Enemy, Civilian, etc.

And you could do the same for weapons. Like a drop down list of whether it'll be a pistol, auto rifle, or sniper file; amount of ammo total, amount of ammo per clip, muzzle prefab insertion, sound insertion, bullet model insertion (for when it falls to the ground after firing), etc, and they will automatically be position to the right hand, etc.

It would make this asset so user-friendly, it would have no choice but to receive 10 star reviews XD
    If not it's cool ^_^

Last edited: Jan 11, 2018
  12. MetaDOS

MetaDOS

Hi. Do you plan to add the online feature to the package? It could be add-on package and it could be even just an integration with other network solution such as Photon, Gamesparks or Master Server Framework.
    We are willing to pay $100+ for the integrationn.

Neviah likes this.
  13. angel_m

angel_m

Version 1.4 already in the store.
    EduardasFunka: In the "coming soon" I have seen you are going to include some melee attack. Is it possible to make a rifle strike instead of (baseball) bat strike? I think it would be more realistic in a shooting scenario. Also it would be nice to have a knife attack.

14. zenGarden

zenGarden

Paid addons per solution could good.
    For example i don't want multiplayer for some game, so keeping it as addon my game will not have multiplayer code.

15. Neviah

Neviah

I'd pay extra for a Photon integration as well.

16. f1chris

f1chris

do you have some doc on the new regroup and sniper functionalities ?

17. Unplug

Unplug

Merci Rahd, je vais googlé ça et jeter un oeil aux livres. Tu es du Québec ? très cool d'avoir quelques références en français !

18. Rahd

Rahd

no mais je parle un peu de francais :p . les tutos sur le site web explique le système de pathfinding de dofus et wakfu
    please dont use any code in your game , copy or even share it .
    just read it educational purposes because Ankama are notorious for suing even kids .

19. Unplug

Unplug

Thanks buddy you are doing good with french ! Yeah it's a place to learn. I don't even reproduce the tutorial I buy because it's way more important to rewrite your own stuff to understand what you are doing ! I'm building a commercial game and I can't do stupid stuff, no worry !

Rahd likes this.
  20. MarkcusD

MarkcusD

Can you make this work with gamepads?

21. zenGarden

zenGarden

I don't see any mobile update :(

IndieGeek likes this.
  22. f1chris

f1chris

EduardasFunka : trying to achieve something with civilians. Would like them to do whatever they have to do ( follow their waypoint or some custom animation i gave them) and only panic when they see guns. I know there's a option. I want them to act normally and don't want follow me and film me like my player is a suspect killer ( ok he is but it's not my point here lol).

Second question : would like something similar with the enemies. Ignore me unless I have a gun. If unarmed they just follow their path.

thx

23. zenGarden

zenGarden

GTA ?

Hi @EduardasFunka ,
    Is 1.4 mobile update coming ?

24. Rahd

Rahd

Set the player side on the actor script to the same side (number) of AI
    and add a script line in update wepons that will change the side to an other number of the player when he puts a gun
    this can be used to with a triggered collideer box to add restricted areas that ontriggerenter the side will change and everyone will become hostile . inspired by Hitman game :p

Last edited: Jan 17, 2018
    IndieGeek likes this.
  25. f1chris

f1chris

To be honest it was first thing I tried with 1.3 but it was not running as expected (AI kind of freezing looking at Player when switching side). But thanks to remind me that and the fact AI was reworked it seems to be working fine now. Switching weapons is also switching side. I'll have some code to add to prevent the player to switch back to Unarmed when under attack. If AI is under Alert, switching side should be deactivated.

thx again Rahd

Rahd likes this.
  26. f1chris

f1chris

Bonjour Unplug and Rahd. Je suis du Québec aussi ;-)

Rahd likes this.
  27. EduardasFunka

EduardasFunka

Hi
    Some nice creative solutions you guys came up with will add checkbox later for those side switch hacks.
    Will update more on new features 1.4.1
    AI forget player
    Custom animation tool
    etc..

redoxoder and Rahd like this.
  28. DevelopGamer

DevelopGamer

Hey,

As above, some great workarounds that you have all shared. I hope to do the same once I've worked with the asset in more detail.

Thanks for this excellent asset. I'm really enjoying working with it so far, and all the animations and the cover system are exactly what I was looking for.

I do have an issue though, I'm using a custom model that has separate meshes for head, body etc and although aim up and down work fine with pistol, I can't get them working with the rifle.

In trying to debug this I found something that I don't understand. Interestingly the blend tree in the supplied CharacterAnimator shows a variable 'lookHeight' in the pistol layer, but there is no equivalent variable in the rifle layer. This got me wondering how you make the rifle aim up and down on the cowboy model?

Anyway this is the only thing stopping me now from taking my game further, I'm already very excited about what I can do with this asset and will update you assuming I can resolve this issue.

Thanks in advance of any help :)

Rahd likes this.
  29. zenGarden

zenGarden

Hi @EduardasFunka

Nice mobile update, the AI behaves correctly even if player is invincible (full health) and coming closer.

I found some minor issues :

1) AI stays in cover , even when cover is not effective and player is firing

2) AI is unable to to find better spots and unable to walk around when player is hidding in this position.
    To avoid this issue the only solution is to do level design that doesn't allow high covers.

3) Sometimes civilian AI runs in small circles around some point.
    That's looks weird.

As always we must still be carefull about the number of AI spawned at same time to stay above 30fps or 60 fps.

The AI is lot better , it is no more stuck or inactive and doesn't stay in front of player when it comes close.

Adding melee AI and dual ranged melee AI would make it the best AI plugin available :rolleyes:
    Anyway, great update , the plugin is finally working as intended (almost) :)

30. Rahd

Rahd

YES !! and dual ranged melee AI , especially weapons melee when the player is too close
    and same for the enemy , i'm sure that @EduardasFunka is going that way since the Gun Script have a melee damage .
    try to check the Aim points on the rifle
    upload_2018-1-19_23-16-10.png
    Aim transform is responsible for the left hand holding the rifle and the gun aim
    AimHands are the source of bullets and muzzle effects. is you are having a problem with those the aim will become buggy

31. Rahd

Rahd

yes please and on waypoints could you add Rotation too , let's say i want Ai to go fom point A to B but he must face a direction.

32. Unplug

Unplug

Excellent ! il y en a plus que je croyais ! En passant les gars, moi j'ai payé à contrat le développeur pour qu'ils ajoutent la plupart des choses des derniers updates parce que j'aimais le asset, je trouve que l'équipe code bien, c'est simple efficace et lisible modulable également, alors j'ai demandé de développer le AI. Si tout le monde contribue, on aura vraiment un excellent asset complet !

I am surprise to find people from Quebec, I've always had the feeling that it wasn't much used here for some reason. I know nobody that does that and I have hard time finding partner to work on the in-house game i'm producing. Would be interesting to met someday.

Look to be a great update, i have been working mostly on UI stuff recently and didn't updated yet to that version, can't wait to test. It look awesome ! I make some tweak on my side on older version to control visibility on dark zone and it can also be easily adapted to have unit with "night google" that would see the player through the darkness.

33. DevelopGamer

DevelopGamer

Hi Rahd,

Thanks for the reply. I copied the rifle from the cowboy model and so have not changed any of the settings. My model however has both hands on the same mesh so I can't see how to target the left hand correctly. I've attached the hands structure as a screengrab.

Attached Files:

34. Rahd

Rahd

you are missing the Aim transform , just create an empty object as a child of the gun and put it here : upload_2018-1-20_21-39-33.png
    once that is done , run the project and adjust that empty objectuntil the hand is holding the gun
    and do check the Charmotor script on the player if the gun is assigned and have the correct type :
    upload_2018-1-20_21-42-7.png

35. Rahd

Rahd

can you add this please :(
    my script still use the biped rig and buggy .
    i know it's too much to ask but can you add a turret ?

36. DevelopGamer

DevelopGamer

Hi Rahd,
    Thanks again for the reply. You can see in my screengrab that I do have an 'Aim' object as a child of the rifle. This is the same structure that I copied from the cowboy's rifle. I have tried dragging this into the left hand overwrite slot as you suggested, but it still doesn't let me aim up and down. I really don't know what to do now. I've attached images showing the step I took following your suggestion.

Also I don't see why the pistol works fine (including aim), but the rifle doesn't! See attached structure - they are the same..

Attached Files:

• 1.png
      1.png
      File size:
      158.6 KB
      Views:
    • 2.png
      2.png
      File size:
      117.9 KB
      Views:
    • 3.png
      3.png
      File size:
      6.9 KB
      Views:
    Last edited: Jan 21, 2018
  37. Rahd

Rahd

ok sounds good the emptygame object needs to be inside the gun
    upload_2018-1-21_5-44-35.png

upload_2018-1-21_5-45-26.png
    Aimhands name is not correct sorry you can call it muzzle flash point

Aim is the one that make the gun turn see the video as i'm testing it .

and last thing hit the Auto ik maybe you're missing something there on char motor
    upload_2018-1-21_5-48-29.png

let me know if i can help more

38. DevelopGamer

DevelopGamer

Hi Rahd,

I appreciate your message again and for trying to help. Unfortunately I still have not found a way to make my model aim with the rifle. I have followed all your advice above about creating an empty GameObject for the left hand but it simply doesn't work with my model.

I can see above that you are using a Mixamo rig, that is probably one reason why everything works as expected. My model however has a different structure. For a start it has both hands in the same mesh layer, separate from other layers. Although it conforms to the Unity Humanoid structure it differs from the Mixamo rig quite a lot (see attached).

AsI said earlier above, I can't see where the 'Rifle_idle_gun_down' and 'Rifle_idle_look_up' animations are used from the Blend Tree (see attached images). I am Debug.Logging _verticalLookHeght in CharacterMotor.cs but this isn't really helping, I must be missing something in the Blend Tree. Again the areas of the blend tree that I would have expected to play these animations does not, unlike the pistol. Therefore I can't see a way to debug this.

I could forward you my Unity file if it makes it easier.

Attached Files:

• 1a.png
      1a.png
      File size:
      469.2 KB
      Views:
    • 1aa.png
      1aa.png
      File size:
      71.8 KB
      Views:
    • 1b.png
      1b.png
      File size:
      436.5 KB
      Views:
  39. Rahd

Rahd

if you are missing some
    Mixamo rig have little effect . i think .
    about the animations , try reimporting the asset and replace the changes (make a backup copy of your work)
    i would recommend sending the file to @EduardasFunka head to the store page , Support E-mail.
    other than that try a new project ,fresh with no unity default assets . it could be a mix up of scripts .

40. DevelopGamer

DevelopGamer

I've basically resolved the issue. My fbx is an all-in-one model with many variations of head, body etc. I opened it in Milkshape as Blender isn't compatible with it (was made in 3DSmax). I then deleted all the layers I didn't need and exported it, loaded it in Blender and added a Rigify rig then re-exported. Now all the animations work fine. I'll post an update soon and thanks again for your help and for this excellent asset.

Rahd likes this.
  41. EduardasFunka

EduardasFunka

First just add any random humanoid animation and test if it works without controler.
    if yes
    then send me your character will test whats wrong with it.

42. Dramamine0001

Dramamine0001

@EduardasFunka Have you considered 2.5D support for this controller, have any insight how difficult a change it is or know of anyone using it for 2.5D? Thanks!

Last edited: Jan 23, 2018
  43. DevelopGamer

DevelopGamer

Hi Eduardas,

I can animate my model perfectly except for aiming up and down with a rifle. Thanks for offering to help, I've sent you my character model and I really appreciate it.

I can only check this thread after work but I'm very excited to get this working and find out what is wrong with the model so that I can start developing my game properly.

44. EduardasFunka

EduardasFunka

we made other 2.5D controller. I do not plan anything with 2.5D for this one. But its easy to make 2.5 from third person.

45. Rahd

Rahd

again this Ai is the bomb with some script changes you can do anything with it :p

EduardasFunka and Neviah like this.
  46. Unplug

Unplug

@EduardasFunka or any other people in there. Quick question about "physical" material. Not quite familiar with how to set those correctly, but with any "zerofriction" material apply to the player, when he sit on a terrain, which have slope, he glide like his feet was made of hot butter. But as soon as I add very few friction to terrain and player (like 0.2) he have very hard time to clim even a slight slope. Any suggestion ?

Another question too, this time about "JUMPING"
    Do you plan to have a prettier jumping animation. I didn't update to current version yet and maybe it was already updated, but right now I have a very weird animation where the player only push with it's front tow and achieve a 2 meter jump. Would be more realistic to have knee bending, arm going back and have an actual jumping motion. Of course it can be change, but the preset could be improved.

47. Dramamine0001

Dramamine0001

Yeah, I saw your 2.5D asset, so I figured I'd ask if you plan support for this asset as well. I figured changing the camera would be easy enough. I'm just wondering about things like AI and aiming working properly. Thanks!

48. zenGarden

zenGarden

Hi @EduardasFunka
    Will you include standing covers ? so the AI would be able to stand behind walls and obstacles ?
    This could be premade high covers similar to actual low covers , or dynamic.

Unplug likes this.
  49. Rahd

Rahd

scale the cover to height of the Ai or more

zenGarden likes this.
  50. Reiner

Reiner

multiplayer plant in near future?