Search Unity

Third person cover controller

Discussion in 'Assets and Asset Store' started by EduardasFunka, May 23, 2017.

1. munimraza

munimraza

@EduardasFunka This is what is happening with me with just new project imported in Unity 2017.1.1p1. Your package says that it was submitted using Unity 5.6.1, and 2017.1.0. Then I don't think that it should be any unity version specific problem. Please I need this to be resolved ASAP because my whole project is depending on this and it is a very MAJOR BUG.

Attached Files:

2. munimraza

munimraza

I guess this is not related to FPS because this is happening to me on Unity Editor and on Mobile as well and very frequently. What I have looked is that when you move camera and then move character somewhere it starts conflicting with rotations and sometimes characters goes up in air. I appreciate you looked into this and suggested solution. Can you send me package after resolving this bug.
    My Email is munimraza.ozitech@gmail.com

3. EduardasFunka

EduardasFunka

Its our Highest priority to fix this bug now. Who want older version submitted to the store on Friday send me an email. I will push new one with a bug fixed I think everybody will be happy this way.
    @f1christian
    email eduardas.ninja@gmail.com

4. f1chris

f1chris

5. Rahd

Rahd

if you want to stop that :
    1- freeze position Y on the rigidbody and unfreeze on jump and vaulting with a script .
    then :
    on the Base layer stand armed , change the turn tree to this (from -20 to -50 , 20 to - 50 )
    and do the same on the walking armed and (stand/walk)unarmed , if it has the same issue.

do the same for stand unarmed .
    let me know if that does not fix it . i will share the modified animator if it's ok with EduardasFunka
    it is FPS related and i have fixed this by making the movement separate of animation .
    i don't have the authority to share the fix script for now because it's depended on backend server packets to keep track of multiple players . and forgetting just a tiny bit of the server code will be a breach of contract , maybe after the beta launch of my game i will clear the unrelated code and share it , but that will take a month or 2 .
    EduardasFunka i urge you to take my suggestions into consideration . to help everyone else .
    i have fixed my problems , and never emailed you to fix anything. i just want to help .
    for anyone still facing the issue with Bullet trails on unity 2017.3 . the fix is to add ascript that will activate the Trail Renderer component after prefab instantiation , this will work but still bugs sometimes . the problem is with unity not the asset package.
    and when someone fix something please share it , it would be lovely.
    again non animation based movement is the major fix to the bug when alot of AI are in the scene.
    cheers.

Last edited: Dec 22, 2017
  6. munimraza

munimraza

Thanks @Rahd Yes you are right this works and yes with low fps this creates issues. After I did your mentioned fix this problem is not occurring on Unity Editor but still on mobile at low FPS this happens.

Rahd likes this.
  7. Rahd

Rahd

I'm sure @EduardasFunka will fix it , let's give him some time to kill the bug .

munimraza likes this.
  8. zenGarden

zenGarden

Hi @EduardasFunka

I'm sharing with you a video covering AI in AAA game Sunset Overdrive game :)
    It's very responsive and dynamic solutions with different mecanics.

Most AI stuff doesn't use EQS or scoring system, all AI data is raycast based and calculated from player position and orientation. And it's working greatly in game.

You have no more escuses to not make make a great AI lol

9. Rahd

Rahd

it's not that easy my friend , you need an army of devs to make the one in video , @EduardasFunka is making it solo and for a good price , the AI in the video has a price tag of 100K+ , just saying . for 50 or 70 $ @EduardasFunka is doing a pretty good job. just scroll around the store and try to find one better than this :p

antoripa and munimraza like this.
  10. EduardasFunka

EduardasFunka

Munimraza i have a patch for you will send you when iam back at my pc. Its Christmas where I live and we eat lots of stuff and lazy (Send from phone)

11. zenGarden

zenGarden

You didn't understand, the video show some solutions that could be in the plugin.

I don't mean he should implement all the AI features and the entire railing system systems from that specific game lol

The video demonstrates specific functionnality that could improve the plugin.
    This is math only that most Unity coders can code myself included :
    - Melee units group movement using parabolic position deviation
    - raycast occluders from player position for ranged units
    - around player four (or more) directions detection, that melee units will use to move around the player in optimal way.

(I suppose you don't know coding or never coded AI)

It depends, i haven't tested the new version because the mobile TPS version plugin is not available, but last time i tried the other version i had bugs or AI problems sometimes going close to the player unable to figure out what to do or unable to have melee attacks in that case.
    I don't think it worths 50$ with such issues breaking the gameplay and when users buying it expected a rock solid plugin.

Actually the plugin is a bit incomplete, there is no melee AI or dual ranged melee AI.
    If you play some game like "Uncharted" , AI is able to go melee if the player is close.
    Also having melee AI like dogs , zombies or whatever would make the plugin more complete.

Invector plugin has already a melee combat system , a tps system, and is getting ranged AI combat. Perhaps this one will be the most complete ?

Anyway i'm waiting for mobile version to also get the update and i'll if the AI is stable and realiable or if i must implement my own Tps AI with Behaviour Trees, FSM instead.

Last edited: Dec 27, 2017
  12. Unplug

Unplug

@zenGarden I can see you have a good amount of experience in your back, but i'm personally thinking that Eduardas have release a plethora of added feature and update since the original release and in that regards i trust him to accomplish a very very complete and full featured controller system. I personally don't use the mobile version,but the regular one work great and is improving. I wish too for better AI behavior, but I see it as a work in progress. Some animation transition are still a bit clunky, but overall its a good solution. That said, i have absolutely no knowledge of programming AI myself, i'm limited to concept of what I have scene in other games.

my wish list in short-medium term
    1. Basic animal AI to populate scene(eat, walk around (in a user determine radius), flee, die and attack, but attack to be an option as many animal would just flee anyway)
    2. Better animation transition; sometimes it feel too slow and less responsive.
    3. Better AI pathing as you describe. AI to decide to transition between fast/slow pace when they becore unsure, AI with better flanking strategy, etc.
    4. I don't mind for them to not melee attack, I can't imagine a lot of situation where, let say, a cop put back is gun in his holster to start a melee fight. Melee fight usually occur before pulling out the gun.
    5. More movement like walking on a edge, climbing ladder, jump and holding on a cliff edge with barehand or getting down from high area by first going down on the edge (hand holding) to reduce falling distance. Those kind of cool stuff we see in games.
    6. Suppression effect (when you are getting shot at, camera could go blurry or shaking a bit to decrease your accuracy.
    He have is own roadmap and it is his project, so we have to respect that too.

@EduardasFunka is it possible to replace your basic waypoint system to one that offer more path option or better bezier/spline etc control like Simple Waypoint System of the asset store. At 15$ I would invest in it if it's possible to easily connect both script.

13. zenGarden

zenGarden

You are right, it's like some other plugins (ultimate survival, Emeraled , Invector ...) a work in progress getting more features or addons with the base plugin becoming better.

1. Basic animal is the same as a melee character AI, if it is implemented, you should able to plug that IA to any creature.

3. About better AI movement (or pathfinding), this is why i put the video with good and prooven AI ideas ;)

4. For melee, it's a must have for most AI humanoid AI plugin i think. Versatile AI can be great and can make surprising AI, like a character using suppression fire while moving towards the player, then at near distance start to run to player and use melee.

5. About edge grab , ladder, cliff ,it's if you want to make something more like "Tomb Raider" instead of "Destiny".
    Perhaps those will be available in the plugin, but they should be an optionnal "addon" (like Invector swimming or climbing addons). Not all users need extra functionality.

6. It should stay optionnal or as some "effects" addon, for example i don't want that effect and keep player camera clear lol

Anyway, i'm waiting for TPS cover mobile update and i hope it will have AI less stuck on pathfinding.

14. Rahd

Rahd

i'm gonna go thru this in parts :
    First part and to be frank with you you want something do it yourself , just scroll back to the script updates i have been posting . when i find something i dont like i do fix it , or make it happen the way i want .

(I suppose you don't know coding or never coded AI) ... unprofessional that's all i can say .
    Spoiler alert i been working with tech security companies since i was 16 ,secured banks and government institutions with my coding skills , tracked down criminals . taught coding to old geezers .
    i never played Uncharted .
    i have shipped complete softwares / tools or plugins for photoshop and maya , coded whole backend servers for apps
    i would share my portfolio that includes 3d modeling art , and game fx and unannounced texture painting software like substance painter , but i'm not looking for a job or looking to be your employee .
    since you are talking about AI well i was responsible for FULL isometric pathfinding system And full behaviour AI , for an MMO (i wont mention the title NDA) , it did include complex behaviour like putting traps , casting spells to heal , protect ,hide from the player (cast invisibility) , and more tactics like fleeing combat , disarming player ... ect
    BTW , the AI was developed in 2010 , i had not internet to see videos like you at home , and at the workplace you cant do that , plus the game was made with adobe air 2 .x AKA FLASH and action script :D :D :D . good luck finding tutos for that . i had to read a book about A star pathfinding :(

while you are complaining i have added melee combat system 2 months ago . i will walk you thru it step by step my child
    step one :
    you lower the minimum approach distance of the AI so he will get close.
    step 2 : add a gameobject list named "melee weps"
    step 3: add your baseball bats and melees to that list , do the same for buttons and to equip the melee as a gun
    add a triggered collider to detect if the player or enemy is inside the range of melee wp ,
    step4 add melee type in the weapons types.
    step 5 add public bool isattackingmelee to the motor script
    step 6 go to the guns script and under if rifle if pistol add if melee
    im gonna skip the steps :D
    inside the if melee add a script to set isattackingmelee to true when you tap attack button or press melee key .
    animator : you add you melee animation from mixamo for now under a new layer that have filter over the legs
    you dont need details for this because it easy !!! you play the melee animation when isattackingmelee , and at the end of the animation you set it false in the motor...
    now you have the AI or character with a melee weapon and can swing it around .
    now to the damage part you add a triggered collider on the melee weapon ,
    make a script that ontriggerenter , if the entring have tag : "player" or "Enemy"
    getcomponent health script , and you subtract the melee damage from the total health .

it's a crude explanation. but , was it so hard ? , well i will tease you with a video using melee weapons , and if i feel like it i will share the script .
    My AI dont get stuck , and yes i'm using mobile plugin.
    do adjust your navmesh and the obstacle detecting collider on the AI .
    but you my friend have a great sense of entitlement for 50 $ roll up your sleeves and get to work.
    CHEERS

15. Rahd

Rahd

here is the video i promised :

angel_m likes this.
  16. zenGarden

zenGarden

Calm down, my post was not offensive, i don't know if you know coding or not.
    Why just that made you so angry when users don't know you ? :eek:
    You got a bad day , that's it lol

Reading your previous response (you modified) about the video i posted ,
    anyone could thaugh you didn't know what was going on on the video or it was over complicated and made by a team.

Anyway the video is a helper or a pool of good ideas for the plugin author. it's good stuff for him.
    Didn't you understood that and get so angry ?
    I was kidding when i said he had no more escuse to not make great AI lol

When coders buy a plugin they expect it work great without major issues.
    So they can spend time in other areas instead.
    Otherwise experienced coders would never buy plugins and code all systems themselves when it's possible :rolleyes:

If a plugin advertises on the asset store it is the best, the top notch, you don' texpect AI bahaviour issues.
    Or a mobile player controller rather bad in previous version and no joystick support while most TPS games support joystick.

I got some discussions with some others coders, and unfortunatelly every plugin has it's issues or limitations.
    Some other plugins will need many other updates to become more usable , complete (Ultimate Survival etc ...)

TPS cover plugin will suit a small game i'm making, while you are right , if i need more features i must code it myself even if they are simple not complicated coding (melee, action tagged specifc items, strategic tagged areas , positioning around player for melee groups , oclusion areas)

Indeed, for next game until someone makes some plugin that is amazing, rock solid, with many behaviours
    and working in any open world situations and prooven in some game, i will do like some other coders and use my own AI library and tools instead (FSM, BT, EQS ...).

Who can believe you are a professional game developper until you show your game ?

Did you know many of us are just hobbyst ? :rolleyes:
    (Anyway sorry if my my comment made you so angry)

Why are you trying to proove you could code it ?

Perhaps you could code entirely your own TPS cover plugin ?
    So why did you baught the plugin if that's the case ?

Because you don't test the same level and conditions as mine.The AI was not really stuck , after firing , AI was getting close to the player , and it run in front of the player unable to do anything, in idle mode. I hope it will get corrected.

But why not telling it to the author if he could add a new feature ?
    It's perhaps good for improving the plugin , and making it even more attractive for new buyers :rolleyes:

Telling what is wrong or what new features could be added is contributing making it lot better.
    Otherwise we would just buy the plugin, if it's not so great we would just go with another plugin or solution, and we would never post comments here.

17. zenGarden

zenGarden

I did not epxlained myself very well.
    I was not meaning player melee, but AI melee and AI group melee navigation around player.
    But as you said if we need more features , if we are coders, it's up to us to code it :rolleyes:

You have nothing to proove to anyone about coding or your video or whatever. I hope your TPS cover based game will be great and people will enjoy it.

Sorry to made you angry, and have a good day.

18. Rahd

Rahd

no worries , as i said before , give @EduardasFunka sometime :)
    good luck with your game

zenGarden likes this.
  19. zenGarden

zenGarden

Anyone using mobile plugin, to get autofire when aiming to AI change this code in MobileController class. The gameplay will become lot better.

Code (CSharp):
    1.  if (_motor.Gun != null && _motor.Gun.FireOnMobileAim && IsAllowedToFire)
    2.                         _willFireOrThrow = true;
    With this one
    Code (CSharp):
    1.  if (_motor.Gun != null && IsAllowedToFire)
    2.                         _willFireOrThrow = true;

@EduardasFunka
    It looks like the update is out, i seen some changes (modular code, easy custom player setup) or am i wrong ?

I did some tests and i think there is some bugs when AI has a patrol waypoints,
    sometimes they are unable to leave the waypoint path.
    Sometimes it's other issues.

1) When player has high health and regen, moves and stay around AI, AI tends to come close to player and after some time do nothing.

2) Right image, AI pursue player, if player climb up and hide, the AI is walking but stuck around cover.
    Left image, after some seconds the AI is no more reactive and has no animation running.

3)Player quickly hides in height, AI is pursuing it, after some time AI finds player.
    But AI is not firing and stuck in same position with walking animation playing and unable to find a path (navmesh is all right).

4) Player flees away and hides, enemies stop at some distance while aiming and they don't move anymore until the player would start moving somewhere.

Those issues are easy to reproduce, i hope they will get some attention.

Anyway great job on the plugin, it is among the the best Tps plugins available.

Last edited: Dec 29, 2017
    Rahd likes this.
  20. munimraza

munimraza

Thanks for your cooperation. Well enjoy your holidays and eat well ;)
    I'll be waiting for your update.
    Thanks Again

21. Rahd

Rahd

just select the gun and check the FireOnMobileAim box on the gun script .
    i left it as it is , since some of the guns are semi or auto .
    checked = auto , unchecked = semi

22. zenGarden

zenGarden

It was already auto, but there was no auto fire.
    I was meaning auto fire about controls, you push the aim left joystick to any direction, when some AI is in the aiming direction the player characters fires automatically.

23. Rahd

Rahd

yeah , that,s true , there is not full auto for automatic aim .

24. Unplug

Unplug

@Rahd what is the book about A*Pathfinding... bought the asset, but don't really know what to do with it lol... feels like a waste of money on a high quality asset that I can't use because my knowledge is too limited right now on that subjet

25. Rahd

Rahd

the book is too old my friend not in english you can find better sources in youtube :

try this internal Notes i came across :
    https://www.redblobgames.com/pathfinding/
    https://www.redblobgames.com
    A*Pathfinding is really useful for a static environment like A turn based Game where the map is split into 2D Cells and nothing is gonna change
    the cells have 2 basic inputs : walkable or obstacle.
    A* will simply look for the short route from point A TO B taking into consideration obstacles to avoid.
    you can add other inputs like jump , cover , climp .. ect
    the best asset for that in 3d is A* Pathfinding by arongranberg google that out he have a free demo project on his website.
    but remember A* Pathfinding offers navigation for AI Mostly good for RTS or turn based games .
    Third person cover controller offers AI , with navigation and weapons system , cover vault , jump , ect .. and sneak ability ... i find this to be perfect

26. zenGarden

zenGarden

Tps cover plugin will always find a path using Navmesh, but it's decision code about best positions to go depending on situation is not really effective and will fail when AI encounters many situations not planned :rolleyes:
    For example i gave full health regen to the player so i could go close to AI, and as it wasn't planned in the plugin most of the time AI is unable sometimes to reposition itself.

Some coding solutions are needed but also a strong test phase with player doing anything possible like high jumps, come to close melee, hide from place to place etc ... testing only the plugin is designed won't work.

Use my code and it will work smoothly :)

27. EduardasFunka

EduardasFunka

Happy new year guys!
    We back to work after a long and very nice holiday. Sorry If I was too passive in forums I will try to answer your questions now.

28. EduardasFunka

EduardasFunka

Its not out its old version 1.3

29. EduardasFunka

EduardasFunka

about that fps bug where player dance in low fps. We modified the way the animator displays a rotation performed by the character. The core principle of the object rotating and the animator only visualizing the rotation after the fact hasn't changed (there is no root motion when rotating). The problem was with the angles being given to the animator, we changed some formulas to make it give better values when in low FPS conditions. Now at 10 -20 fps can't reproduce that bug

Rahd likes this.
  30. GWStudio

GWStudio

how to integrate with ufps ???!!!

31. EduardasFunka

EduardasFunka

Sorry I dont have ufps

32. Paul-Swanson

Paul-Swanson

You'll want to ask that in the ufps forum. That asset is notoriously complex. But you may never get an answer as the community over there is really prickly.
    http://www.opsive.com/assets/UFPS/forum/

33. zenGarden

zenGarden

34. GWStudio

GWStudio

ok not a big deal .... how to change AI model is there any tutorials ... and how can i play weapon (gun object) animation in the same time with body animation

Last edited: Jan 6, 2018
  35. Unplug

Unplug

what language ? thanks for the link. I really need to start looking into it someday and start using it.

36. Rahd

Rahd

angel_m likes this.
  37. angel_m

angel_m

I also would like to know if there are any news about the awaited update.

Rahd and zenGarden like this.
  38. Muhamad_Faizol

Muhamad_Faizol

Hi,
    Can anyone tell me where can I find the female model used in the tutorial video?

@EduardasFunka, I have a request, is it possible to redo the tutorial videos but with better mic coz the sound is too low? Perhaps you don't have to rerecord everything, just do a voice over over the old videos. Also if you could add more information that could help the users to use your asset, that would be very helpful.

Thanks.

Cheers,

39. EduardasFunka

EduardasFunka

Rahd likes this.
  40. EduardasFunka

EduardasFunka

There is no female asset in the project I used it for a tutorial only. Maybe I will put on asset store someday.
    Sorry for voice quality I am not professional youtuber...

Cheers
    Ed

41. Rahd

Rahd

@EduardasFunka
    I can't express my feelings for the effort you've put into the Update , truly astonishing you saved me alot of time with the new civilian AI , and Police/Solider system . i see great potential for this .
    thank you for your services. i will keep you updated for bugs thru emails.

EduardasFunka likes this.
  42. EduardasFunka

EduardasFunka

Goodluck
    its just beginning will add more :)

43. Muhamad_Faizol

Muhamad_Faizol

@EduardasFunka

I just read the whole thread, and I must say that I'm impressed with the progress you've made to this asset in such a short period of time. Keep up the good work, and I'll be checking your other assets as well.

Cheers,

EduardasFunka likes this.
  44. Mayureshete

Mayureshete

I Will buy in few days, missed the sale last month... can some list here the upcoming updates...?

45. IndieGeek

IndieGeek

@EduardasFunka would please explain the difference between your Third Person Cover Controller asset vs the Top-Down Cover controller mobile?
    What are the things on which Third Person Cover Controller is superior to the Top-Down mobile version one?

46. ValekOo

ValekOo

you make updates to the 2.5D Platformer Engine or all efforts go to the Third Person Cover Controller ?
    (Sorry for my English)

47. zenGarden

zenGarden

I wish the plugin will get some updates and won't become abandoned and stay as it is with some big issues :rolleyes:

angel_m likes this.
  48. EduardasFunka

EduardasFunka

Hi 2.5D engine will get an update soon. Ranger class as promised also some tweaks to rope mechanics.

49. EduardasFunka

EduardasFunka

what makes you think we abandoned?

Rahd and IndieGeek like this.
  50. EduardasFunka

EduardasFunka

Third person cover shooter has top-down cover shooter version inside.

IndieGeek likes this.