Search Unity

1. The 2022.1 beta is now available for testing. To find out what's new, have a look at our 2022.1 beta blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

Third person cover controller

Discussion in 'Assets and Asset Store' started by EduardasFunka, May 23, 2017.

1. gsmax

gsmax

Has any one here used Opsive Third Person Controller ?. I know they have AI add-ons, is it good enough?

2. p_hergott

p_hergott

Invector ai does cover, easier and better

3. p_hergott

p_hergott

So, out of all the ai things, the biggest attraction of this asset is the shooter AI? Im curious, things like invector and BD could also do everything like this but more. But are more work to set up. If someone developped a shooter AI system, with AI that worked like this one, but set up something simular to say emerald AI. So shooter AI would more or less just be simple drag and drop. Which offers less than invector and BD, but would be super simple and wuick to set up. Would that be a solid AI solution?

4. colpolstudios

colpolstudios

I recently purchased Game Kit Controller also Emerald AI. I'm only starting to use the Game Kit Controller and I must state "excellent support" The system can be integrated with Emerald AI, but I have yet to get to that point within my development.

I have also Invector shooter and FSM AI and the builder addon. Personally, I did not think much of the Invector AI in relation to cover, but possibly that is lack of experience with their asset.

I like the idea of having smart AI and Game Kit Controller on its own has great potential. I also have Advance battle AI now deprecated it is a playmaker AI solution. I understand quite a bit of this system even fixed some outstanding issues with it.

What I miss the most is the player cover system used within third-person shooter cover, I have not seen this done by any other asset, Yet!

5. p_hergott

p_hergott

Theres another, but isnt feature rich. Emerald AI i find to be lacking, the AI is simple and it has 1 big box collider. Gck does have great support, always has, for years. Is insanely feature rich, but thats a cost too, gck AI is extremely performance heavy. Like much more than 10 - 15 AI at once, is a huge drop in frames

6. colpolstudios

colpolstudios

Did you report that finding AI is extremely performance heavy. Like much more than 10 - 15 AI at once, is a huge drop in frames to them?

7. p_hergott

p_hergott

Id image they know. Its not bad structure, its the amount of stuff and the methods used. Its good AI, but its heavy. For the same performance you can run about 60 third person cover shooter AI, roughly 200 BD AI, 500 Emerald AI.

8. abunwaaf

abunwaaf

Your assets are very cool and I'd like to buy them
    But surprises that for nearly two years the original was not updated or even some comments in the forum on the unity were not answered
    My question?
    Are the assets still backed?
    Are there updates soon?

9. p_hergott

p_hergott

10. DeltaTech

DeltaTech

Whats this DB AI everyone keeps talking about? since this asset is dead as well, does anyone know why shooter ai got deprecated and what the best AI system out there is regardless of how heavy performance it is?

11. colpolstudios

colpolstudios

Some interesting reading: https://forum.unity.com/threads/what-ai-asset-should-i-use.395451/

12. rooskie

rooskie

Anyone knows how to rest camera to be exactly behind the character? When the game starts it just looks at the character from front.

13. gsmax

gsmax

Saw some users were able to use the asset Update Manager to optimize this asset. Please if you did, how did you implement this.

14. Toby31

Toby31

currently having an issue with the A.I moving to your last location where you stood after attacking you, then moving around a small modular environment ignoring your player even if you shoot the enemy. Has anybody else had the same issue with the A.I?

if anybody could help with this it would be greatly appreciated. :)

15. Anhella

Anhella

Good Day
    does anyone know how to destroy custom game objects
    with TPCS weapons? if so can you please tell me where is the raycast script that make the hits happen?

thanks in advance

16. Anhella

Anhella

Good day all you have to do is use the AI waypoint Script. to add select your Ai Character select add component type in Aiwaypoint select it than with in the component select add waypoint.
    select the Ai Character in your scene and make sure unity gizmo is selected in the scene menu, to show waypoint circles than click where ever you want the character to walk/patrol.

Last edited: Feb 23, 2021
  17. marketxu

marketxu

Hello everyone, I have a very advanced project using this template, I have tried to contact the author without result. my problem is that i want to add VR functionality with kit (vr interaction framework) and i cant damage the ai or just make it see me and follow me. I am not a programmer. I need help please. my email is marketxu@gmail.com

18. Anhella

Anhella

two ways to do this #1 Position your camera to the scene view you want. Before dragging the player into the scene, reset the player to 0. then drag the player into the scene and position you player only facing the way you want it to with the transform tools. than select the player and in the player inspector select Third Person Input Script. than drag your camera as in the picture here: TPCS Camera Setup.png . hit the play button. the player should now be in the direction you appointed it to. #2 drag player into scene and position it as you want. Select the camera in the hierarchy, the go to menu, GameObject, select Align with view (or press v on the keyboards) than select the player and in the player inspector select Third Person Input Script. than drag your camera as in the picture here: TPCS Camera Setup.png .then add this script on the player. the SetRotation Script is added last or it want work.

using System.Collections;
    using System.Collections.Generic;
    using UnityEngine;
    using CoverShooter;
    public class SetStartRotation : MonoBehaviour
    {
    void Awake()
    {
    //Set the character's rotation to the rotation in the editor as opposed to the default rotation
    gameObject.GetComponent<CharacterMotor>().SetBodyTarget(transform.position + transform.forward * 1);
    gameObject.GetComponent<CharacterMotor>().SetAimTarget(transform.position + transform.forward * 1);
    }
    void Start()
    {
    // Put the camera behind the character as opposed to the default position
    GameObject.FindWithTag("MainCamera").GetComponent<ThirdPersonCamera>().Horizontal = transform.eulerAngles.y;
    }
    }

19. gameslegend903

gameslegend903

hi there,
    has anyone implement these controls like Cover Fire Game,
    where player automatically move cover to cover..
    any hint something?

20. arsalan-shah92

arsalan-shah92

hi I am working on a project kindly solve me a problem .
    when ai is continuously firing and i aim a grenade on them the grenade drops near me and damage me

21. arsalan-shah92

arsalan-shah92

yes i used navmesh and starting transform to target transform for it

22. Cell_Unity

Cell_Unity

Can You provide some code? example to do please

23. tongchimlang

tongchimlang

Where is the script used to manager the Cowboy player layer?
    I want to change layer 10 to Layer 12.

24. angel_m

angel_m

Forget this asset, it was abandoned by the developer.

25. radiantboy

radiantboy

why are so many 3rd person assets abandoned? I think people see so much promise they buy them outright for a ps4 game and probably never finish it.

26. Paul-Swanson

Paul-Swanson

He did it via bit shifting. I cant remember exactly which script it was in though.
    I think it was Layer.cs ?

tongchimlang likes this.
  27. satchell

satchell

Here's a video on adding Grenade Inventory...

GrenadeItem.cs
    Code (CSharp):
    1. using System.Collections;
    2. using System.Collections.Generic;
    3. using UnityEngine;
    4. using CoverShooter;
    6. public class GrenadeItem : MonoBehaviour
    7. {
    8.     public GrenadeInventory gI;
    9.     public int grenadeAmount;
    11.     private void OnTriggerEnter(Collider other)
    12.     {
    13.         if(other.tag == "Player")
    14.         {
    15.             gI.grenadesInventory =+ gI.grenadesInventory + grenadeAmount;
    16.             Destroy(gameObject);
    18.         }
    19.     }
    20. }
    GrenadeInventory.cs
    Code (CSharp):
    1. using System.Collections;
    2. using System.Collections.Generic;
    3. using UnityEngine;
    4. using CoverShooter;
    6. public class GrenadeInventory : MonoBehaviour
    7. {
    8.     public CharacterMotor cM;
    9.     public GameObject gRight, gLeft;
    10.     public int grenadesInventory;
    13.     // Update is called once per frame
    14.     void FixedUpdate()
    15.     {
    16.         if(grenadesInventory >= 1)
    17.         {
    18.             cM.Grenade.Left = gLeft;
    19.             cM.Grenade.Right = gRight;
    20.         }
    21.         else
    22.         {
    23.             cM.Grenade.Left = null;
    24.             cM.Grenade.Right = null;
    25.         }      
    26.     }
    27. }
    You'll also need to modify the CharacterMotor.cs as seen in the video.

Toby31 likes this.
  28. angel_m

angel_m

Fault lies not with the asset buyers but with the asset developers.

Last edited: Aug 15, 2021
  29. Paul-Swanson

Paul-Swanson

Thx Satchell I was eventually gonna get round to this myself. Appreciate ya sharing

satchell likes this.
  30. Toby31

Toby31

Hi, it seems like you have experience of multiple plugins. And I'm considering other potential options. What about invectors cover ai is better in your opinion please? It doesn't have much in the way of documentation on the cover elements and would like to hear it from the horses mouth please?
    Also what's bd?
    Thanks for your time :)

31. khushalkhan

khushalkhan

edwardes is done magical trick of assets salers pay more or asset is gone, now that asset is depreciated soon v2 will be released to deceive more users

32. p_hergott

p_hergott

Invectors AI is great, lil complex. But works well and has a good cover system. BD is behaviour designer. Sorry for the late reply lol. Im also making AI tutorials but in playmaker

33. Unplug

Unplug

this asset is still the most complete (for everyone, beginner intermediate level) and easy to work with. people have achieve incredible stuff with it. give it a try

Paul-Swanson likes this.
  34. khushalkhan

khushalkhan

wake up edwardes has ran away with your money package is deprecated

35. Unplug

Unplug

I can code, my game is based on this asset. which asset has been adapted and developped for my need. i dont feel riped off at all

satchell likes this.
  36. Paul-Swanson

Paul-Swanson

@Unplug Likewise. @khushalkhan He wasn't making a game for you. He was giving you the tools to do it yourself.
    In addition Satchell and Myself provided tons of additional scripts. To be frank your giving us the impression you are an asset flipper with no capability to modify or extend the thing yourself.

The reason he left was for may reasons. He asset was stolen then given away to hundreds of people for free on a asset theft website right about the same time Malbers had his horse anim kit stolen too. So he wasn't making any money. Then he had a child. Have a child myself changes you're priorities, you just can't keep working on something that's not making you money. He even had a patreon set up which was not successful.

You need to stop whining like a spoiled child and bad mouthing. Everyone did their best to support this both with and without Edward. The only thin thats sub optimal is the lack of ladders. That is it!
    It was a amazing asset package for the money spent. Even Rahd gave away TONS of information and scripts.

The asset is deprecated this is true. However its FAR from dead or useless. ITs still better that that trash that got released as a plugin for UFPS 2.0+ and its still better than Opsivies ability system.

Camelot63RU and satchell like this.
  37. Anhella

Anhella

Good Day satchell and thanks for the Grenade Scripts. i watch the whole video tutorial and the Character motor script
    is giving me an error saying The type or namespace name 'GrenadeInventory' could not be found (are you missing a using directive or an assembly reference?). how to fix please? thanks again.

38. Anhella

Anhella

Could you share the character motor script for the grenade inventory please?

Last edited: Jan 14, 2022 at 11:56 PM
  39. satchell

satchell

Hey everyone,

This might be the last video I'll do for this package, as I noticed the link to the asset store states the package is "deprecated". We shall see if the project gets an update. I wonder if the owner would consider transferring the rights to the assets and scripts? I'd consider taking over...not keeping my hopes up though.

I'll try to update this post with the code later but it is just few lines.

Take care

“I cannot teach anybody anything. I can only make them think”
    ― Socrates

unityunity