Search Unity

Third person cover controller

Discussion in 'Assets and Asset Store' started by EduardasFunka, May 23, 2017.

1. angel_m

angel_m

I don't recommend this asset. The developer never included the suggestions or requests from the users and all the system is very complex and very tricky to customize so if you want to add more options or modify the ai behaviours you have to be a good coder.
    Besides the asset has been abandoned for a long time.

pushingpandas likes this.
  2. p_hergott

p_hergott

When on sale, you still get a few nice models and a pile of animations. Without any code at all, this package is still worth probably 50 bucks...

3. Gatskop_Software

Gatskop_Software

What will be the best setting to get AI to stay in cover and move from cover to cover

4. colpolstudios

colpolstudios

Hello, I have been researching two different approaches

1. use a UMA as the cowboy replacement
    2. use meshbaker to combine the character with all the weapons.

Almost a month ago I found adobe fuse and love it for creating my characters, but low draw calls are something that is on my mind. I don't really need for the characters to change clothing, but UMA does offer that ability with low draw calls.
    Using Meshbaker seems to be a much quicker avenue, but I would be very interested on your thoughts and views in to which method you would choose and why?

5. p_hergott

p_hergott

Sounds like A pile of work for near nothing. If you only have a couple meshes visable.... only saving 1 or 2 draw calls hardly seems worth the effort.

6. colpolstudios

colpolstudios

Using an adobe fuse as the main character straight out of the box is 34- 40 draw calls.
    Use meshbaker on this same character 9 draw calls.
    Using a UMA 16 draw calls.

The process to use a UMA is quite a long one compaired to the very quick results using meshbaker.
    However, meshbaker disables the mesh rendering on the source objects.
    I believe when switching weapons the mesh rendering component is used by scripts and I am unsure how this will affect my ability to use the product.
    Maybe I can create a weapons manager script to disable/enable each weapon based on a keypress or mouse scroll.
    But that may not be enough or possibly the wrong way.

I have asked over on the meshbaker forum, but maybe someone here has experience in using it and solved this?

7. p_hergott

p_hergott

Atlas your materials and combine your skinned meshes, you shouldnt be over a handleful of calls. But disabling the main renderer will probably negate the Aiming IK. But you can bake the mesh, then add weapons.

Last edited: Aug 23, 2020
    colpolstudios likes this.
  8. colpolstudios

colpolstudios

Not sure what I did but I got the cowboy replacement as a meshbaker without the gun. The gun is a separate object.
    I had not spotted the big differences in the size of the abode fuse model, the replacement guy is much taller than the cowboy.
    https://ibb.co/8mVhcdg
    I think my best option is to ensure any replacement is the same height as the cowboy to avoid any possible camera issues.

In this short video clip, I am hoping to solve why there are any changes with the cameras.

at section 0.15 is the orignal fuse character and at section 109 is the optimised version.

If you look closly you do not see the gun in the hand.

But why is there any changes?

Last edited: Aug 26, 2020
  9. abdullahok

abdullahok

Are you using the animator provided in the template and is it set correctly referenced in your character animator?

10. p_hergott

p_hergott

The gun is there, the camera angle is slightly different, so he is blocking the gun. Just change your camera angle

11. colpolstudios

colpolstudios

But why any changes. It is the same character, but using meshbaker.

12. p_hergott

p_hergott

Maybe it changes the center, like a anchor point. The camera is offset from that point

13. abdullahok

abdullahok

Hey Rahd,
    I was wondering if you managed to do a complete working inventory system? If so, was it easy or did you need many modifications?

14. Rahd

Rahd

it was easy just use the third person inventory script to link to the inventory pro system (it free on Github)
    then when making a new Item in the inventory pro Editor, just add an ID to each item, and do the same to each gun or melee weapon script, etc ...this way you can compare the id to know what item in the inventory pro was equipped the cover shooter player should equip . for things like medication or buffs like food, let inventory pro do the logic then link the Health of cover shooter script to add the result of each health buff from the inventory pro system,
    Simple but take a lot of time.
    I might change to invector or opsive controller , Due to issues I could not solve regarding performance on mobile.

15. khushalkhan

khushalkhan

I think it's work great on mobile, just use pooling for enemies & spawn 3 to 5 enemies at a time

16. p_hergott

p_hergott

Invector for the win! Invector fsm ai, is easy to use, and good, with cover and grenades and everything

17. Rahd

Rahd

i'm using the old package for mobile that did not see an update for years now, i bought the full package as well in order to keep working on the game .
    charactermotor script is the cause , a lot of modules are running even when not needed . cover logic is always checking , groundcheck is done wrong , the motor tries to simulate gravity and it will end up with your player flying in the air or going thru objects if the frames drop , the charactermotor script on mobile is eating up about 7% of cpu
    add some more AI and you are done . animator component on the walk State is a tanker too ... try to edit that ...
    i'm like really done . i learned a lot , the assets has some good features that i will transfer to to whatever i'm gonna switch to . i really wanted this asset to be better but the dev ... ? won't even put it opensource on github.
    cheers and good luck everyone .

18. khushalkhan

khushalkhan

Every asset have problems i know that, i bought this controller because its animations looked production ready, other controller on store mostly walk slow like turtles when you make game with those controller the game look very lame. Increasing speed does not solve the issue. Bad thing is the developer of this asset does not seem a helping guy he has left the support long ago otherwise fixing few things in this, adding some new features in an update or two this kits would have been a masterpiece tps kit on unity store. Also its ai it far better than all other tps kits.

Rahd likes this.
  19. OneSketchyGuy

OneSketchyGuy

I'm working on adding a "take down" action to the players arsenal. My approach right now is going to be removing player control with a separate script that handles a "disabler" and play an animation... Is this the best approach? Any recommendations on better ones? I would like to just expand the melee capabilities, but I'm not sure how to approach doing that.

20. Rahd

Rahd

Probebly adding the animation in the melee attack , and make animation state behaviour script (just copy melee script)
    and use animator match target for the hands and body to hold the enemy .

21. p_hergott

p_hergott

Rewired does this pretty much by default. But the mouse is in the camera script i believe, if not its in the put script. And the rolls are a double tap if i remember right

22. colpolstudios

colpolstudios

Indeed Rewired does, but I don't have it!

I have looked through a lot of the scrips and am unable to find a section like this:

Input.GetAxis("Mouse X") and Input.GetAxis("Mouse Y").

Does anyone know where I can find this section in the scripts?

23. zero1024

zero1024

Greetings to all the amazing people here, keeping this asset alive!

I'm encountering a very strange issue and I need your help.

I'm developing a third person game using the "Third Person Cover Shooter Template" asset and I'm encountering a huge drop in performance randomly as I play in my scene.

According to the Profiler, the problem comes from the "AIMovement" script and specifically from the void Update().

I developed my own method of spawning squads of enemies on my terrain, I instantiate multiple empty GameObjects from a pool at random locations and then using a script attached to that empty GameObject, I instantiate 2 to 5 enemy NPCs from the Third Person Cover Shooter Template.

Everything works perfectly and the NPCs are spawning on my terrain.

When I try to Play the scene, I get steady 60FPS even on heavy battle situations with multiple NPCs at the same time. The problem is that completely at random, the FPS suddenly drops to 8-10FPS!!

After using the Unity Profiler to identify the issue, I saw this:

On some frames the AIMovement.Update() gets up to 75%!

I tried to debug the Update on AIMovement myself but I couldn't find anything wrong or even suspicious...

I obviously tried anything related to collision, to make sure NPCs aren't spawning inside trees, rocks, each other, terrain etc.

I've also searched the forum here for any similar issues with that script but I got only 2 results that are completely irrelevant to performance issues.

I'm obviously missing something (most probably on the AIMovement.cs code) but any help would be greatly appreciated!

If I missed to mention/post anything (like parts of code) please feel free to ask. Thank you for your help

24. abdullahok

abdullahok

Do you have the game and scene window open at the same time? This usually drops my frame rate a lot.
    Looking at the update function of AIMovement, there is the Debug.Drawline calls.These may be costly if they are enabled in Inspector for your enemies.

25. zero1024

zero1024

Thank you for your reply, I'm sorry I forgot to mention that the same problem also occurs when I build the game and play it on my PC. So it can't be a Unity Editor related issue.

Yes you are correct about the "DebugDestination" and "DebugPath" but I already tried with both of them disabled (or even removed the code at some point completely) but still the same problem randomly occurs. o_O

One theory I had, was that maybe some of the the NPCs are spawning in locations that are not walkable according to the nav-mesh. But I'm not sure this is the problem, because sometimes it happens at times that no NPCs have been spawned, really seems random...

The empty GameObjects that I mentioned, have a script that checks for the distance between the player and the GameObject. If the distance is less than "my number" then it will trigger the squad to spawn. With the same logic it will perform a "cleanup" when the player is far enough from the GameObject, by destroying the NPCs.

I explain this to help you understand that I always know when a new squad spawn will happen and the problem doesn't seem to be related to that spawn process either :(

26. p_hergott

p_hergott

When spawning do you not sample nav mesh position to place them on the navmesh?

27. zero1024

zero1024

I don't have to, the empty GameObjects are 100% inside the walkable area. It's a randomly generated terrain and I use the height to get the random locations on the terrain. So if the height is low enough to spawn the objects, it's low enough to be walkable by the nav-mesh build settings.

The only reason I thought this might be the problem, is because the NPCs are being spawned at random locations around the empty GameObject's position, somewhere between 2 to 10 units to make sure they aren't being spawned one inside the other. (plus random rotation between 0 to 360)

But the moments the problem occurs, are not related to spawning... It just happens o_O

You really think this might be the source the problem? I will check it again just to make sure, thanks for your input :)

28. colpolstudios

colpolstudios

Solved:

29. Tretiak

Tretiak

Anyone using asset in Unity 2020.1 ? I have lot of errors after importing to 2020.1

30. khushalkhan

khushalkhan

I guess you should wait for the developer to update it for 2020, that's all he does.

31. yufik_selalu

yufik_selalu

Helo.
    I need help.
    How to setting stamina on thirdperson scene.
    Thanks

32. dawargu4

dawargu4

use mixamo rig to work well with animations

33. dawargu4

dawargu4

check your particle system nost its occur because of muzzle flash particle system use model inside of particle system. and also check the bullet eject its despawn or not .

34. dawargu4

dawargu4

when you running or waking reduc stimina value from 100-to zero if its zero start reducing your health with your rate.

yufik_selalu likes this.
  35. dawargu4

dawargu4

36. yufik_selalu

yufik_selalu

thank you i got the point.

37. colpolstudios

colpolstudios

Very much still a work in progress.

Use either a PlayStation or Xbox controller to control the cowboy or your model.

Try it out here

Updated: 08/10/20

https://colpolstudios.itch.io/playmaker-control-and-tps-cover

If you're lucky enough to own both controllers you can unplug one. Plugin the other and hit the restart and choose it :)

unfortunately, this project has run into the way that the unity input manages its input.
    My system will only work on the Windows operating system.
    When playing a Web GL build the end-users operating system is read.
    So if you're using a Mac operating system it will not work as intended.

I have created a very small Web GL build to test with "Rewired", but would need a mac user to assist, Can one of you help me out?

Last edited: Nov 13, 2020
  38. colpolstudios

colpolstudios

Hello, I formally requested from the "Rebbe team" an issue of help request.

https://www.redbeegames.com/contacts

Due to the lack of support for this asset.

I suggest everyone who owns this asset do the same!

If no reply we all report the asset to unity asset store!

Meanwhile, I am still working on my integration with "Playmaker Contol".

A playmaker asset very much a work in progress.

The player can choose either "Playstation or Xbox controller" with the ability to remap the controls.

The original asset comes with only keyboard control and the user normally has to change the input settings in regard to controller usage.

My project, although very much a work in progress, allows you to choose between a "Playstation or Xbox" controller to play.

You also can remap the buttons, however, complete control is not possible, but the ability to change is available.

In this effort, the work in progress is within a Weg GL build [posses unique issues with a PlayStation controller] plus the fact that the end-users operating systems are read.

Anyway:

A demo version is here if you would be kind enough to test.

How can you help?

I require help removing the double-tap feature for the rolling.

What I require is an axis used for the d-pad direction.

I have asked the developer, no reply. Can someone here possibly help?

Even just a single button press would help.

Stay safe everyone.

Kind regards

colpolstudios

39. p_hergott

p_hergott

they abandoned this asset a long time ago...

40. colpolstudios

colpolstudios

That's such sad news.
    The asset is still available to purchase, it's even on sale I think :(
    It will take more than only one complaint to the unity asset store, I do not mind being the first. :)
    But I must give them time to reply.

41. umair21

umair21

Just give them 1-star reviews and boom, sales dropped.

p_hergott and colpolstudios like this.
  42. colpolstudios

colpolstudios

I just did the same, intrestly the developer replied two months ago to one of the reviews.

Pity they will not post something here!!

43. colpolstudios

colpolstudios

Hello,

I have been working away, somewhat in the background, on a playmaker integration to joystick control with this asset.

My asset is "Playmaker Control" currently not-published as still in development!

A sample updated windows only version is available here.

You have the choice of either "Playstation controller" or "Xbox", you have the also the ability to remap the buttons used in regard to your own, but limited input.

I use the standard unity input system within this demo!

current status of the project is still in the prototype phase!

If you would kindly test and give back feedback, please.

Thank you for your time.

It's our shared development and helping each other when it comes to this asset.

Oh almost forgot, be sure to be killed in order to change your controller if you have two.

Simply die "not that hard" now choose from the two options.

Last edited: Nov 29, 2020
  44. umair21

umair21

They are replying because they want to make it look like they are alive and available for support of this asset but actually this asset is dead and no more updates are coming to us, so, pretty clear, they abandoned the asset year ago.

45. gsmax

gsmax

Does anyone have a good alternative to this assert. Something that has good AI ??

46. umair21

umair21

Apart from the S***ty developers of this asset, AI of this package is best undoubtedly. I haven't seen any other AI better than this one, atleast not yet. :-D

47. Camelot63RU

Camelot63RU

48. colpolstudios

colpolstudios

Where to buy??

Camelot63RU likes this.
  49. Camelot63RU

Camelot63RU

:oops: ouf, its just a demo teaser, gone be free to load, jan 9. I will link to it ;)

50. colpolstudios

colpolstudios

Oh, I thought this was a new AI system for Unity. I would be interested in a new system that also offers users support.