Search Unity

Third person cover controller

Discussion in 'Assets and Asset Store' started by EduardasFunka, May 23, 2017.

1. p_hergott

p_hergott

The ai system would be fine, pending price, the controller idk. Pending price i guess. The systems would need to be modular and easyily addaptive to other coding. Would be pretty poor to have a seperate ai system, that only really functions with your controller. Like opsive, they have a ai system that intergrates perfectly with thier controller, but is really quite compatable with anything. The controller i find to have a number of limitations though. Like dont get me wrong, u guys have done beautiful work. But to seperate the ai and the controller, i think would need some adjustability.

2. shadowlord1

shadowlord1

My concern is:
    I've created a character creation screen with UMA... Where the user can, in runtime, change the avatar height and proportion of any body part. (hands, legs, shoulders, etc.)....

Will this controller adapt itself on this avatar on which measures were changed in runtime?
    Does anyone here that owns this package have made this test with UMA? I'd like to confirm this before I buy it. Unfortunately, I haven't find any video or post about these two packages together.

Thank you guys!

3. p_hergott

p_hergott

That really shouldnt effect anything, aslong as the avatar is set up correctly to begin with. I dont think ive ever had issues with dynamic characters at runtime. With anything

4. SarhanSoft

SarhanSoft

I'm not rushing but I'm just excited :D So I wish it to be as much as aspirations just take your time.

sure, i have no problem.
    Whether you decide to separate artificial intelligence or add an amount to update.
    For me, In my view, what distinguishes your tool is artificial intelligence ready for use without much customization.

5. shadowlord1

shadowlord1

Thank you very much p_hergott!

6. redoxoder

redoxoder

yes do it .

7. umair21

umair21

$1 is nothing, that's just a very small amount but I think that won't make any sense separating AI from main package because any third Person or First Person packages are of no use if there's no AI included. That's what I think, I might be totally wrong but -1 for separating AI from main package as it could make other problems like updating our previous projects with the new asset version. If separating isn't going to create any implementation problem with our old projects, then +1 for separating AI from main package. :D

8. hope81dklee

hope81dklee

Awesome asset!
    By the way, Can you have any plan to integrate it with UMA?
    I have tried to integrate this with UMA. But can't. The UMA throw a error about "add bone recursive"
    I have no idea of integrate this with UMA.
    If you make integration, than it will be very good

shadowlord1 likes this.
  9. SarhanSoft

SarhanSoft

**editing, i see your comment in the video, but you can just add a text over the video by youtube itself to tell that for anyone will watch it :) good luck

hi,
    it is a problem in third video for your tutorial, here

I hope fix it :)

Last edited: Mar 25, 2019
  10. shadowlord1

shadowlord1

Hi! I'm also interested on this integration with UMA.
    Could you please tell me if you have added all scripts and components you see on the demo scene of this package, into the DCA character of UMA?

Have you tried this?
    1- Add an Animator component to the UMA character prefab on the scene.
    2- Go to UMA (In the main menu) > Bone Builder
    3- Drag the UMA character prefab into the field at the Bone Builder.
    4- Click on "Generate Bones"
    5- MAYBE you'll gonna have to edit the Animation controller that comes in the UMA character to the same that this package works. (Select the UMA character, go to "Race Animation Controllers > Default Animation controller)
    6- Add the required scripts of this package into the UMA character.

hope81dklee likes this.
  11. digiross

digiross

I stumbled across this asset and it looks perfect for the game i'm designing. Has their been any news on multiplayer and/or the roadmap for multiplayer features?

shadowlord1 likes this.
  12. redoxoder

redoxoder

Hello, it will be nice to have more informations about updates or/and info on new ai asset, and how 1usd will be asked ? On store?
    Thanks

shadowlord1 and Camelot63RU like this.
  13. DankP3

DankP3

So I did start something like this a while back, although I have kind of backed off this asset to observe for a while, rather than invest.

When I did this creating a TPCS character was kind of fiddly, setting up all weapons etc. (prob still is?) . In the end I built the character to spec using bone builder (the Animator can be set as a default in the UMA, no issue). Then I saved the functional character components as a prefab, which I then used as donors and then with a couple of relatively 'simple' scripts and respecting all the components dependencies cloning the exposed variables at runtime to build my UMA.

Don't get me wrong, you can just use bone builder and setup your character as usual and even switch races at runtime as long as you don't have to rebuild the skeleton (ie. Your races use the same skeleton).

Dont know if I still have that prototype or not, but could look if of interest (although I couldn't share TPCS assets) . And it wasn't finished when I stopped working with TPCS.

shadowlord1 likes this.
  14. shadowlord1

shadowlord1

Thank you very much for sharing your experience DankP3!
    Indeed, it seems that setting up the character with TPCS is a painful task.
    I'm looking for a good controller with Cover system. At this point, it'd be easier for me to make it works with UMA, than replace UMA on my project. To be honest, I was a little afraid of trying this, because there's no documentation or information from the author about TPCS and UMA and this package isn't so cheap to just buy for testing and discard.

Unfortunately it seems that an automatic integration with UMA is too waaaaaaaay beyond the roadmap of this package.

15. Rahd

Rahd

16. hope81dklee

hope81dklee

I will try it! Thank you!

17. MastermindInteractive

MastermindInteractive

I love the idea of a more robust AI system. If you go this route, I urge you to not go the Behavior Designer route. There are already so many AI designers out there already and they require a depth of knowledge in order to make a comprehensive enemy behavior. Most people who purchase this asset aren't looking to understand how to wire up a Behavior tree or learn the ins and outs of GOAP to write their own actions. What I would love is simply more enemy types. Expand on the existing AI agents and give us more types of them to tweak. Give us a heavy, a grunt, a stalker, a boss who gets angry when you get his health within a range and changes his attack pattern. Allow us to take those base classes of the enemy and tweak them to make them dumber or smarter, change their weapons, add or remove pre-made actions to make them more versatile.

Miyamoto_Musashi and Toby31 like this.
  18. p_hergott

p_hergott

I agree. I think good money solution would be not separate the ai and controller. But give some basic ai with the controller. Almost like class types. Then do add ons for a price. Like a boss so type 4.99 and just branch it out. From animals. To melee. To shooters. Ect just make add on packages.

MastermindInteractive likes this.
  19. Plasticlay

Plasticlay

20. redoxoder

redoxoder

any one for a tuto on custom action like stealthkill ????o_O
    any news for update ?? and how it will be proced for 1usd donation ???:)

Camelot63RU likes this.
  21. shadowlord1

shadowlord1

Hello guys!
    Could someone help me please?
    I think I've almost successfully integrated this asset with UMA.... But now I have a problem with aiming.
    When I aim up or down the character doesn't rotate its spine following the weapon's aim.
    Does someone have any idea what it happens? How could I fix this or where to look at?
    Thank you in advance!

22. SarhanSoft

SarhanSoft

Hi guys i try to work with new tutorials series and i have no found how make cover on the wall like video 18 (level design)
    and i see in video 16 (gameplay) use a prototype one only!

any tips ?

23. Toby31

Toby31

Would be happy to pay an extra $5 if you can get it done faster, with A.I working with tall covers :)
    Also are you due to still release patch on the 15th?
    Will this have separate packages or be in the same format?
    Was going to update to latest patch of Cover shooter today and update to later version of Unity but will wait if you are still on track for the 15th

Last edited: Apr 10, 2019
    redoxoder likes this.
  24. EduardasFunka

EduardasFunka

I think I will share with the community next week. and release to the store by the end of the month. We encountered a small problem that we can't downgrade package to 2018 or lower versions right now it's saved to 2019.2 beta.

25. Lay84

Lay84

I am in the same boat. not much support or videos for top down (Mobile in my Case).

26. satchell

satchell

@EduardasFunka I can put some mobile videos together. If they're off please share thoughts to correct, or let me know to remove 'em...?

Lay84 likes this.
  27. Toby31

Toby31

Thanks for the response. :)
    When you say share with the community do you mean on the Unity forum or Patron community?

When you release on the store at the end of the month will it be to 2019.2 beta version of Unity or the official Unity release at that time?

I'm used to using the beta releases but have been trying to follow along with your official patch releases on the unity store as I know Beta versions can be a little buggy and can cause problems. So have tried to minimise them.

28. Toby31

Toby31

Would like to upgrade from 2018.2.8f1 to use the HDRP render pipeline and wondered if anybody else is using the latest beta version in there own projects and have they had any teething problems.
    How are people getting on with using the third person cover shooter template with 2019.2?
    is it workable with the cover shooter template?
    Are there any bugs that I should be aware of that stops there games functioning?

Thanks in advance

29. Lay84

Lay84

Rand, I've just read through the entire forum and you have been a big contributor and help, thank you!

It seems like your project is very similar to the one I am starting, Topdown mobile. From the beginning I am having a hard time implementing my own camera and controls to mobile, just setting up as a whole is pretty difficult for mobile. (Tpcs seems to be more friendly for set up with alot more tutorials) Can you please show how you were able to implement in detail how you used control freak for topdown mobile motor, thank you!!

To Asset Dev, I have been going through forum and see how you have supported this asset and continue to grow it, so I am very happy with my purchase and cant wait to get going after these road blocks. Also there are so many post from user contributing help and supplemental code, and I saw a mention about a wiki, was this ever started. I have been taking screenshots as I go through the forum on my phone but I will eventually have to go back and find each one to copy paste on PC. S

Sorry for the wall of text

30. Lay84

Lay84

just found this, Thank you @satchell !! Will help me tremendously

EDIT* very helpful tuturial but only for TPC, need help setting up controls for top down, thanks though will definitely save/subscribe for later use.

Last edited: Apr 11, 2019
    satchell likes this.
  31. satchell

satchell

In 2019.1.0f1 you may need to Help>Reset Packages to defaults

@Lay84 Top Down tut's for sure

Last edited: Apr 12, 2019
    Toby31 likes this.
  32. SnowblindFatal

SnowblindFatal

Hello! How is this library's compatiblity with the A* Pathfinding Project asset? How does Third person cover controller handle pathfinding? Mainly I'm concerned about performance and whether it can react to destructible environments.

33. Unplug

Unplug

sounds really bad, my project is in 2017 and there is no way I can upgrade. The asset always have been available to older version. There is nothing related to the render pipeline or anything link to the new motor so will you continue to support unity 2017 ????

JBR-games likes this.
  34. satchell

satchell

7:39 Weapons 17:15 Canvas 20:30 Setup Hit Colliders 23:10 Camera

Thanks @StaticWave for the Character Generator Tool.
    https://github.com/kristiandelay/Third-Person-Cover-Shooter-Template-Character-Tool

It's pretty dry but you should be able to follow along this is the Player Setup TPCS Top Down Mobile video maybe get around to weapons this weekend.
    EDIT: The weapons vids he's done will work on mobile so nevermind that... Was thinking about Cinemachine?

I'd recommend turning the music down and playing some deadmau5 - 71c

Last edited: Apr 14, 2019
    jandernunes, StaticWave and Lay84 like this.
  35. Lay84

Lay84

Thank you @satchell !!!! I can now get some work done this weekend! appreciate this tremendously! looking forward to the other Tuts.

on another note, I am able to get control freak working on the third party controller with TP Input on the mobile scene for moving and other functions, but cant get the top down aiming converted over to control freak, anybody have any luck with this?

satchell likes this.
  36. Lay84

Lay84

was banging my head against the wall for the last 24 hours but after upgrading from 2018.2.10 to 2018.3.12, all of the issues I was having using both control freak 2 for buttons and TPCS mobile aim and move touch controls are gone. Maybe it was the order in which the packages were imported last time that caused the touch aim and move to disable, I'm not sure, but controls work now lol. That along with the tutorial that @satchell has put up has allowed me to move from set up to actual prototyping finally :) , thank you all for the help.

JBR-games and satchell like this.
  37. MastermindInteractive

MastermindInteractive

Thank you so much for making this Setup tool. This is exactly what this package is missing. I'm having problems getting the AI to work. When I add my Character and choose the base AI script nothing happens, nothing is added... Any idea why?

38. satchell

satchell

I don't know if StaticWave is still supporting this package. I'll try to take a look at it if I can.

39. StaticWave

StaticWave

Hey Hey,

Make sure you run the character set up tool first, that script will add all the required base classes needed. once the character scripts have been added to your player object the ai generator script will see the base classes exist and add the proper ai scripts. Can you post screen shots of what your player class looks like so i can verify what the object looks like.

Cheers.

40. StaticWave

StaticWave

I'm always lurking about, i am holding out on changes until the new package hits the store. thanks for supporting the tool =)

Last edited: Apr 14, 2019
    satchell and Neviah like this.
  41. shadowlord1

shadowlord1

When we have a character set to not be destroyed,this character dies and we re-check the "Is Alive", the character revives... we add them HP again...
    But the AI don't find this character anymore.
    What do I need to do in order to "refresh" the AI to start chasing the character again without reloading the whole level? Is this possible?

42. MastermindInteractive

MastermindInteractive

That was it. Thank you!

StaticWave likes this.
  43. StaticWave

StaticWave

Awesome, glad to hear! this made me realize that I could just add those scripts automatically if they don’t exist when trying to create an Ai character. When the next release hits the store I will update the tools.

feedback welcome!

Cheers!

Neviah and satchell like this.
  44. Unplug

Unplug

i have a hard to explain bug, but maybe it will ring some bell to any of you. I have multiple character, and sometimes, the aim is completely broken. To reproduce, get the gun out, switch character, switch back, try to shoot. The bullet will not follow your aiming orientation and the "hit" fx will occur far from the bullet trail.

45. SnowblindFatal

SnowblindFatal

So I went and bought this asset.

However, when I import it to my project, it requires a change to the scripting runtime version (3.5) and also overwrites a bunch of project settings files:

modified: Packages/manifest.json
    modified: ProjectSettings/AudioManager.asset
    modified: ProjectSettings/ClusterInputManager.asset
    modified: ProjectSettings/DynamicsManager.asset
    modified: ProjectSettings/EditorBuildSettings.asset
    modified: ProjectSettings/EditorSettings.asset
    modified: ProjectSettings/GraphicsSettings.asset
    modified: ProjectSettings/InputManager.asset
    modified: ProjectSettings/NavMeshAreas.asset
    modified: ProjectSettings/Physics2DSettings.asset
    modified: ProjectSettings/PresetManager.asset
    modified: ProjectSettings/ProjectSettings.asset
    modified: ProjectSettings/QualitySettings.asset
    modified: ProjectSettings/TagManager.asset
    modified: ProjectSettings/TimeManager.asset
    modified: ProjectSettings/UnityConnectSettings.asset
    modified: ProjectSettings/VFXManager.asset

What's the point in this?

I tried importing this asset into an empty project and copying the ThirdPersonCoverShooter and _TerrainAutoUpgrade folders from the Assets directory to my proper project, but that resulted in about 600 errors such as these:

You are trying to replace or create a Prefab from the instance 'Main Camera' that references a missing script. This is not allowed.
    Please change the script or remove it from the GameObject.

You are trying to replace or create a Prefab from the instance 'AIEnemy' that references a missing script. This is not allowed.
    Please change the script or remove it from the GameObject.

Broken text PPtr in file(Assets/ThirdPersonCoverShooter/Animations/Mecanim assets/Characterzombie2Mirror.controller). Local file identifier (1102028398390424728) doesn't exist!

Broken text PPtr in file(Assets/ThirdPersonCoverShooter/Animations/Mecanim assets/CharacterAnimator.controller). Local file identifier (1102946906170099550) doesn't exist!

Broken text PPtr in file(Assets/ThirdPersonCoverShooter/Animations/Mecanim assets/Characterzombie2.controller). Local file identifier (1102686697606018156) doesn't exist!

Broken text PPtr in file(Assets/ThirdPersonCoverShooter/Animations/Mecanim assets/CharacterAnimator - old.controller). Local file identifier (1102349255893957114) doesn't exist!

Broken text PPtr in file(Assets/ThirdPersonCoverShooter/Animations/Mecanim assets/Characterzombie1.controller). Local file identifier (1102482889630495228) doesn't exist!

Broken text PPtr in file(Assets/ThirdPersonCoverShooter/Animations/Mecanim assets/Characterzombie1Mirror.controller). Local file identifier (1102482889630495228) doesn't exist!

In addition, there are a number of warnings, like:

OnLevelWasLoaded was found on AISearch
    This message has been deprecated and will be removed in a later version of Unity.
    Add a delegate to SceneManager.sceneLoaded instead to get notifications after scene loading has completed

Lighting data asset ‘LightingData’ is inconsistent because 17 files out of 84 are missing.  Please use Generate Lighting to rebuild the lighting data.

A polygon of cowboy is self-intersecting and has been discarded.

Now I understand that this all may be the result of an error on my part. However, I couldn't find any special installation instructions in the documentation (this would be the first asset that I know of which required some extra steps after clicking "import" in asset store).

Likewise as a professional developer I understand that sometimes slips happen, but forcing some old runtime version or having a commercial asset produce warning messages are something I certainly didn't expect.

Anyway, I hope we can resolve these issues! :)

46. StaticWave

StaticWave

This video made me realize a checkbox is needed for mobile controls or not. Leaving notes here so i remember when i circle back to the tool.

Cheers!

satchell likes this.
  47. SnowblindFatal

SnowblindFatal

To be more specific with my report, I've tried both 2018.3.11f1 and 2018.3.12f1 with same results. My project's scripting runtime version is ".NET 4.x equivalent" (the default setting).

48. raikoification

raikoification

Hi, i'm having troubles with one of my character's animation. All the other animations look perfectly fine aside from the *aiming* animations (reload, sprint, gun lowered, etc.. all are working fine). I suspect it has something to do with the aim bone as changing its rotations will re-position the arm but will also screw up the aim bones location as the bullets are suppose to come out of that bone i believe, not to mention no matter how much i played around with the XYZ i could not properly position the hands to direct the gun.

You can see here that the hand is pointing straight left when it should be pointing forward (if i map the aim bone it points straight right)

If anyone knows how to fix this issue please let me know!

-edit-
    Turning off IK on the character motor also fixes it but i cant shoot anymore and IK doesnt work anymore

For reference, this is how it should look

Last edited: Apr 16, 2019
  49. SnowblindFatal

SnowblindFatal

To further add to my previous issue: I also tried using .NET Framework v. 3.5 on both the 2018 version as well as the new 2019 version. There is, regardless, a multitude of errors. I suppose there was some kind of accident with this release?

50. MastermindInteractive

MastermindInteractive

1) Confirm your character is a Humanoid
    2) Configure your Humanoid rig in the model's Inspector > Rig and select "Force T Pose" from the "Pose" dropdown at the bottom right.

See if that works...

redoxoder likes this.