Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

Third person cover controller

Discussion in 'Assets and Asset Store' started by EduardasFunka, May 23, 2017.

1. rrabassa

rrabassa

Hello! I'm trying to get fire and scope (zoom) to work with my xbox controller and can't seem to get it to work. Looks like you may have solved this? I'm not a code person so not sure what your code sample actually does :)

Thanks!
    Rich

2. rrabassa

rrabassa

Did you ever get a resolution to this? I'm having the same problem.

thanks,
    rich

3. Alex-Slavski

Alex-Slavski

@EduardasFunka Hello I am having a little trouble setting up a top down controller for a single character running around. Is there a guide for setting that up or something like that? I tried adding a cowboy to the scene and just adding a TopDownInput script to it alongside the StrategyInput, but the whole thing just broke down after this.
    @Rahd what control methods do you use in your game? I seemed from your posts that you have a top-down game.

4. Unplug

Unplug

@Rahd i hate to repost, but you are my only hope

To anyone that have added the update manager to improve performance as it was mention before. How have you successfully change the awake function. It return me an error when i add (following the included instruction)
    Code (CSharp):
    2. protected override void Awake()
    3. {
    4. OverridableMonoBehaviour.Awake()
    5. }
    function mentionning that it cannot inherit from overridablemonobehavior.

5. umair21

umair21

@Rahd @jnbbender and all others, I need help.
    Why enemies are not detecting my footsteps when I WALK. They only detects it when I start running. I want them to hear me when I walk and also when I run
    Please tell me if you know fix for this.

Last edited: Jan 29, 2019
  6. rrabassa

rrabassa

Where are the videos you posted?

Thanks,
    rich

satchell likes this.
  7. rrabassa

rrabassa

I've been able to set up most of the controls but aim/scope and fire I can't seem to get to work. Have you been able to AshyB?

8. satchell

satchell

I didn't want to seem like I'm spamming. So any videos I make that are relevant to TPCS I'll add to my other video post on page 27.

Sorry for the confusion.

Unplug likes this.
  9. rrabassa

rrabassa

Brilliant! Thanks. I'm gonna give it a try tomorrow.
    -rich

satchell likes this.
  10. Unplug

Unplug

@rrabassa we all get that you are excited to make everything work, but i think you can condese your multiple subsequent post into a single and well structure post to avoid spamming the forum all the time. You fill up almost 50% of each page since 31

11. rrabassa

rrabassa

Sorry - I'll try to gather my thoughts better before posting.

Unplug likes this.
  12. Plasticlay

Plasticlay

Hello, Im trying to set up an RPG launcher and a throwing knifes.

Could you give me some advice to get these two style of projectiles

13. Unplug

Unplug

Well for the trowing knife you set the knife as a bullet and you just have to create your animation and stance. You could have your "gun" being set as the knife in your hand and you can decide to leave it on or turn off when you trow. Look at the "isreadytofire" state to detect the right condition when he is firing.

For RPG set it as any gun i guess, you could add a coroutine to allow delay between fire. you need of course a new reload animation and a new fire animation...

14. Camelot63RU

Camelot63RU

I guess we are waiting for February 15 or longer, this is not bad, because the longer work goes, more stable asset will be. But, forgive me my curiosity, it is very interesting how things are. January is over and there is no news about the update.

I apologize if I seemed annoying:(, but interest does not leave me.

Sorry for google translation. Kepp waiting. ;)

15. Niyazmohammad

Niyazmohammad

Any instruction for Spawn Point and Search Area?

16. Plasticlay

Plasticlay

Hello all,

I started playing around with converting the player controller to be able to ride a snowboard. At the moment i have the board as a colider with no friction. it seems to be working sliding but when i get to a flatter area the player control goes back to thinking its walking. Dose any one have a suggestion how to continue a slipping effect, The current setup when your forward motion trigger is stopped the player position stops.. I need the position to not try to stop, free to continue sliding base off the force direction.

Cheers'

17. Paul-Swanson

Paul-Swanson

Just saw your mini map tutorial I'mma just swipe that. Since you've solved all the issues for me. Thx mate. I was getting stuck on children objects getting reassigned at runtime via charactermotor.cs. I can FINALLY move forward again.

satchell likes this.
  18. Paul-Swanson

Paul-Swanson

That's exactly the issue. I watched the animator during a test and exit simply isn't being triggered for whatever reason.
    I haven't been able to track down exactly WHY this is the case though. Once the proper location in the Motor is found simply tell it the correct animation trigger [EndMelee is true] should be enough to end the state. I know this is the case because if you get him in the frozen state then you press that in the parameters section of the animation he resumes correct functionality. Maybe its possible that with the upgrade the systems became faster and its now a timing issue...
    ?maybe? - it wouldn't be the first time iv seen this happen.

I actually checked a version on 2018.2.10f and 2018.3.4f1 side by side and the ONLY difference I saw was the root motion not being checked by default. I even checked the animations regarding Melee side by side, and literally nothing in there was incorrect or out of sync.

19. Rahd

Rahd

so the issue is unity animation triggers get stuck sometimes due to :
    trigger set to true when there's a transition , or simply unity update bug . i tried to recreate this issue i could not :(
    i did a fix to a similar issue with crafting not sure if it will help in this case , it was to reset the trigger on the specific action . or simply reset all when the animator is stuck in a state
    using
    foreach(AnimatorControllerParameter p in _animator.parameters){
    if (p.type == AnimatorControllerParameterType.Trigger)
    _animator.ResetTrigger(p.name);
    }

20. redoxoder

redoxoder

hi
    any news for the next update ??
    thanks

Camelot63RU likes this.
  21. Plasticlay

Plasticlay

I think im having the same Melee getting stuck in the first swing.. Only have issues if im working in Unity 18.3.3 my previous Unity 18.2.6 had no issues. still trying to figure out why its sticks in the animation phase

22. NickNovell

NickNovell

Hello to all. As I asked before, I am trying to have the bullet interact with objects. I added a rigidbody to the bullet prefab but as the speed of the bullet is too fast, the objects that I shoot are not even move. If anyone can give me a solution, I would appreciate that. Thank you.

23. Paul-Swanson

Paul-Swanson

look back about 20 pages or so, several of us have provided methods to make this happen. If you take my Impact script or my Broken obect one then just put a ref to what your trying to make it do, it should work just fine.

24. NickNovell

NickNovell

Sorry but the only scripts that I found are your BreakablesDMGReceiver and explosion script. None of them answers my question. I don't want to put a script in every object of the thousands I have in my project.

25. Paul-Swanson

Paul-Swanson

The main reason you need to use a script is if you use rigid bodies like I tried initially, The projectiles mvoe very fast and the Colliders don't always get detected reliably. Which is why I HAD to rely on that Hit() method. if you can find a way around that, more power to ya...but you might find it a struggle.

26. NickNovell

NickNovell

So you think it's better to go with raycasting?

27. Paul-Swanson

Paul-Swanson

I think it would be more reliable. But you would need to put a force applicator or something g on every bullet that detects what it hits and applys said force to the rigid body it detects. It'll be more reliable than throwing rigid bodies. But that script would also need to detect what direction it came from to make it go flying at the correct angle.

Last edited: Feb 8, 2019
    NickNovell likes this.
  28. DRIVER1ksa

DRIVER1ksa

is the "multiplayer" coming this year ?

29. jnbbender

jnbbender

30. GeekBeard

GeekBeard

Hi guys, have a question about aiming. tried searching in the thread if anyone asked that before. couldn't find:(

I have a setup character (same on cowboy). I have gun, crosshair. All good. But there is one thing which I was wondering if possible to achieve:

When aiming, character and pointing the gun follow the horizontal plane of the aiming but not vertical.

Which makes for not a very nice effect of bullets flying from the horizontal gun - upward almost at 45 degrees if you aim high.

Is it at all achievable to always align the gun with the aim line?

31. Toby31

Toby31

@EduardasFunka Hi how is the update going? I know you must be inundated with people asking you and very busy. Would be good to know how you are progressing. I tried to email you directly but did not get a response. Have been busy working on art assets etc before I start laying out levels but would like to get started on that soon and plan accordingly based on the update. With my last tests I found that A.I got confused with close proximity of cover colliders. Is this something that will be sorted in the next update? My concern is that if I lay out my level with cover colliders close together then I might have to overhaul the level if this is not sorted out. Would like to have combat in buildings and alleys :) If you could let me know if this is not going to happen I can make the spaces more open in the environment.
    Also will the A.I use tall cover in the update as with the current build it does not?

Thanks

Camelot63RU likes this.
  32. EduardasFunka

EduardasFunka

Update coming slowly... We improved search how AI moves around covers how searching for player, how follows player if you hide from sight, tall cover bug fixed etc.. Now looks a lot better. Still no communication between AI need to redo some stuff before AI can communicate.

Stuff that we need to do before beta.
    Communication (hard), AI grenades (easy), improve UI (hard), tutorials and documentation (medium).
    Also will push update for 2018.3 nest week, lots of comments from people about 2018.3 animator bug.

Also AI needs some integration with other controllers if you would like to integrate with new unity FPS controller let me know will give you GitHub access.

Goodluck,
    Ed

33. f1chris

f1chris

is the existing AI system will still be available or the node based one will completely overwrite the previous one.

34. EduardasFunka

EduardasFunka

Both versions will be available

Camelot63RU, redoxoder and f1chris like this.
  35. webgrapx

webgrapx

[QUOTE = "Camelot63RU, post: 3703558, miembro: 659384"] [MEDIA = youtube] yb4HzQk1opc [/ MEDIA]

Still not fixed

1. If I find the cover and space of spam, the character freezes in the air.
    2. Double-click on the movement button on high ground and the character can fly
    his old video, but 1.6 also works [/ QUOTE]

I have the same problem, the character after jumping in a high place, it takes a lot of time to fall, I can not find how to solve it, the mass augmentation does not solve this.

Last edited: Feb 14, 2019
  36. redoxoder

redoxoder

helllo
    waiting the update for 2018.3 animator fix
    thanks

Camelot63RU likes this.
  37. Niyazmohammad

Niyazmohammad

Dialogue system asset works with this asset or not?

38. EduardasFunka

EduardasFunka

39. redoxoder

redoxoder

40. pushingpandas

pushingpandas

we really need a save system imho ... more then a advanced ai.

Camelot63RU and uni7y like this.
  41. CraftyRaccoonStudio

CraftyRaccoonStudio

42. namdo

namdo

So I have a question. This controller looks really great but can the character around without using the camera? To explain, WHen i move forward the character moves forward, when i press back the character walks backwards instead. Can the character turn around when i press back instead of walking backwards?

43. EduardasFunka

EduardasFunka

Delete cached asset from unity download folder

44. EduardasFunka

EduardasFunka

You need to work on camera script to achieve that. Maybe we will add that feature in next update. Will try on Sunday.

f1chris likes this.
  45. Toby31

Toby31

@EduardasFunka Hi Ed, thanks for the update on what you have been working on. :) have updated today in fresh project to test and had similar problem with character not moving in scene. If I apply root motion he does move and A.I moves when root motion is applied. but when jumping off ledges character floats in air like crouching tiger hidden dragon which is quite cool but not the desired effect I wanted.
    also have used unity 2018.3.6 and 2018.3.0.

The melee punch animation freezes, cannot throw grenades or swing baseball bat, again with animation freezing. I see you mention to CraftyRacoonStudio to delete the cached asset from Unity download folder, do you mean the cache folder in the third person cover shooter library folder? (This is empty) or do you mean the hidden app data >local>unity>cache folder? (Have tried deleting both cache folders) Sorry if this seems like a dumb question but just unclear what you mean and where to find this cached folder?
    Will this fix these issues without having to tick on apply root motion?

Keep up the good work. ;)

46. Granheart

Granheart

Hey all! Anyone managed to fix the animation stucks? Like melee and jump floating etc? :)) would be cool to use this asset with an updated unity.

47. tr1stan

tr1stan

I have exactly the same problem. Deleting the cache asset doesn't work for me.

48. Granheart

Granheart

Yeah well I was able to fix moving with root motion, as EduardasFunka said, but the melee animation just freezes and ruins everything. I guess they are working on a solution since this Unity (2018.3.4f1) is not supported by the asset yet.

49. redoxoder

redoxoder

Working fine for me. 2018.3.6 with tpcs 1.62 no more freeze with melee.

50. EduardasFunka

EduardasFunka

Its asset store bug. There are many places where package can be cashed. Switching to old store helps for some customers. If you cant fix it send me invoice number.

Last edited: Feb 26, 2019
    Granheart, redoxoder and Paul-Swanson like this.