Search Unity

Third person cover controller

Discussion in 'Assets and Asset Store' started by EduardasFunka, May 23, 2017.

1. Rahd

Rahd

1- try to lower the near value on the camera like 0.01..
    2-try this https://answers.unity.com/questions/424330/how-to-make-an-object-visible-through-walls.html
    to stop the camera from going thru in the first place .
    3- i think when the player is on aim , should take different camera settings
    i think the camera have those options , play with the FOV and the position of aim State in the camera .
    But keep in mind this is a long issue with all games i have played and still, games like Rust fixed it like 100 times , but every time the players find a way to clip thru objects and colliders to build bases inside terrain and even sit in a tree , to shoot and be protected by the tree collider .

Camelot63RU likes this.
  2. Toby31

Toby31

I have contacted the developer and not yet had an answer, looked over every page of the forum and could not find an answer to my question, the community seems very active so hopefully somebody might be able to give me some advice before I purchase the template. I'm doing a project solo and I'm an artist and I'm concerned that if I purchase your software I'm going to become unstuck if I want to add any additional functions, I'm currently looking at UFPS and Third person cover shooter template, I really like the fact that the template has intelligent A.I and it looks like it would fit my project perfectly although;

1. I would be looking to do something similar to this Locks and safe cracking pack which is apparently compatible with UFPS https://assetstore.unity.com/packages/templates/systems/locks-safe-cracking-105408 Do you think this would be compatible with Third person cover shooter template or would it be possible to do something similar with the visual scripting support that is planned for the template?

2. I see somebody else on the forum has put half the script for dropping items but I would need to pick them up, pick up money for example, will this be possible with the visual scripting plugin that is planned, or other visual scripting program or would this need to be done in C#?

3. When is the visual scripting update planned?

4. Would a visual scripting program like flow canvas work with the third person cover shooter template, using a C# Event via reflection to add countdowns, pickups and U.I?

5. Would Gameflow work and do the same functions as above without causing multiple conflicts, has anybody used visual scripting with the template?

I'm trying to do as much research as possible before taking the plunge and to plan the project accordingly.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated :)

Toby

3. HasnainKhan

HasnainKhan

I was working on 1.4 and today I upgraded kit from 1.4 to 1.6 and there is no more laser for pistol. I have tried but I am not able to get it working. I have 15 zombies chasing and attacking at a same time, if I add character motor script to zombies game becomes so laggy and if I remove character motor script from zombies then Mobile controller is not able to aim precise at zombie. Any help will be appreciated.

Last edited: Oct 24, 2018
  4. rrabassa

rrabassa

I've used this asset for a couple of months now and it's been quite good. I've been able to extend most functionality with Playmaker and staying away from any c# stuff.

I will say that documentation is not very robust so you'll need to either ask a lot of questions here or discover by trial & error.

The developers seem genuine but perhaps a bit overwhelmed by the requests in this forum :) – thats what happens when you have a good product.

Toby31 likes this.
  5. rrabassa

rrabassa

For some reason the demo scenes run very slowly on my mac but fine on my (equivalent) PC. This is my mac info:

Screen Shot 2018-10-24 at 8.28.14 AM.png

I know it's a few years old but I did pretty much max it out. Any suggestions? I know that EduardasFunka uses an older mac laptop with no problems...

6. rrabassa

rrabassa

Is there anyway to change the direction of gravity? Specifically I want the characters to be able to walk along a sphere.

Thanks,
    rich

7. Paul-Swanson

Paul-Swanson

1. I would be looking to do something similar to this Locks and safe cracking pack which is apparently compatible with UFPS https://assetstore.unity.com/packages/templates/systems/locks-safe-cracking-105408 Do you think this would be compatible with Third person cover shooter template or would it be possible to do something similar with the visual scripting support that is planned for the template?
    I can't answer that myself. So I'll wait till someone smarter than me answers this. I can however say, stay far away from UFPS and Opsive. The system sells well but is not very good at all, nor is UFPS supported anymore. It just got outmoded to V2.

2. I see somebody else on the forum has put half the script for dropping items but I would need to pick them up, pick up money for example, will this be possible with the visual scripting plugin that is planned, or other visual scripting program or would this need to be done in C#?
    It totally possible. I wrote that drop script so I can tell you it'll be extremely easy to adapt it to any inventory setup you want to use. That hard part is getting it to talk to the built in inventory script and weapon inventory he has. His inventory system is based off a array, so it should be easy enough to alter. However I asked a week or so ago about the bullet inventory methods. It appears to be hard coded. However until I hear back from him on that....I can't really say otherwise. However it will work perfectly fine with your own item inventory system. Iv already got a working Key System.

3. When is the visual scripting update planned?
    I can't answer that myself. Need Ed to answer it, But I think that was just for AI

4. Would a visual scripting program like flow canvas work with the third person cover shooter template, using a C# Event via reflection to add countdowns, pickups and U.I?
    Seems completely doable. As long as Gameflow/FlowCanvas/Bolt/Playmaker can actually interact with scripts it didn't make on its own then there is no reason why this can't work.

5. Would Gameflow work and do the same functions as above without causing multiple conflicts, has anybody used visual scripting with the template?
    I haven't used Gameflow or any other visual solution in my project yet. However I am going to start poking it with Playmaker so i can make missions soon. I'll report back once I'v actually gotten that far.

Seems completely doable. As long as Gameflow/FlowCanvas/Bolt/Playmaker can actually interact with scripts it didn't make on its own then there is no reason why this can't work. I know at least the last 2 can - No idea about the other 2 though.

Toby31 likes this.
  8. jnbbender

jnbbender

Just like any other FPS does it, you should have only one "Player" or "Character" tagged in the scene. Have the Camera search for that tag in the `Start()` method and assign to it's field.

9. HasnainKhan

HasnainKhan

What ... why are u using control freak as this kit comes with the mobile controls.?

10. Dawar

Dawar

for me Its working I recently check it.i think you not setup gun correctly

11. AshyB

AshyB

If you don't know unity or programming you will have problems. Don't be fooled into thinking you won't. But that goes for every asset. Because nothing on the store will do everything you want. You always have to code something.
    1. Short answer is yes. I haven't even looked at that asset and I can already tell you that you will have to code something. Its not supported by TPSC out of the box and I'm glad it's not. "Integrations" might sound nice but it just adds bloat and causes more problems in the long run.
    2. Picking up and dropping is a piece of cake if you can code. I like how his inventory system is just an array. It means all I have to do is when I pick up a gun using my inventory is to enable the correct array item to show it. Super easy and flexible.
    3. That's just for AI. I'm assuming it will be like opsives behaviour designer. It makes no sense for Ed to create a visual scripting system for the whole asset when good ones already exist like bolt and playmaker. Though he could create the actions, but this means he has to stop working on the core product to create yet another thing he must maintain. I hope he doesn't personally.
    4. Certainly! If you know how to code. But then again you can use those assets to do anything with any other product assuming you can code.
    5. Just save your money and learn to code. You need It regardless of whatever you do. I own bolt and play maker and I never use them because it just takes longer, slows down your game and adds bloat. I bought them thinking they'd make my life easier but they never do.

Paul-Swanson likes this.
  12. AshyB

AshyB

Easy bud, like the other guy said you can try changing the near value of the camera to something tiny like 0.001 but you will most likely also have to reduce the far range otherwise you'll get problems. This can be solved with multiple cameras, each one covering a range gap. But this is the last resort option imo.

The other thing is, on the main camera there is a Third Person Camera script, and a checkbox "Ignore obstacles when zooming". This is ticked by default which means when your aiming like in the video the camera won't care about walls. This is to prevent your view getting stuck on body colliders and whatever else you may have on your character that Ed didn't plan for. Try unticking it.

Otherwise crack open the thirdpersoncamera script and play around with the offset position. Should be something to do with the raycast method he has. Basically in most setups, theres a raycast from the character to where the camera "should" be. If the ray hits something (in this case your wall) it will reposition the camera at that hit point. You usually need to offset this hitpoint slightly so it doesn't go through the wall. Usually its something like position = hit.point + (hit.normal * 0.1f). So it's telling the camera to position at the hit point, but off the wall slightly so you can't see through it. Something along those lines. There's like a hundred google posts on this so you'll be able to find the info. That's how I found out in the first place. Same logic behind bullet holes. Another reason why you must know how to code to make games. You cannot make a game without knowing how to code. Anyone who tells you otherwise is jerking your chain. :)

It also looks like your HUD bar disappears sometimes, most likely because your UI is on the same layer as the main camera so it doesn't know whether to show it in front of the wall or behind. Try making a designated UI camera which only shows UI stuff, then the main camera just shows everything else. Then you can set the depth and then all your UI stuff will appear on top of everything else.

Rahd and Camelot63RU like this.
  13. AshyB

AshyB

If anyone wants to use a 3d object prefab for their muzzle flashes instead of the default particle one, you can use this;

Code (CSharp):
    1. using System.Collections;
    2. using UnityEngine;
    4. namespace com.Ashyb.Weapons
    5. {
    6.     public class Ash_MuzzleFlash : MonoBehaviour
    7.     {
    8.         [SerializeField]
    9.         private float duration = 0.1f;
    11.         public GameObject[] flashes;
    13.         private void OnEnable()
    14.         {
    15.             foreach (var a in flashes)
    16.             {
    17.                 a.SetActive(false);
    18.             }
    20.             flashes[Random.Range(0, flashes.Length)].SetActive(true);
    22.             StartCoroutine(Delay());
    23.         }
    25.         private IEnumerator Delay()
    26.         {
    27.             yield return new WaitForSeconds(duration);
    29.             gameObject.SetActive(false);
    30.         }
    31.     }
    32. }
    Create your muzzle flash prefab object consisting of an empty gameobject parent and add this script to it, then have several child objects, each child would be a different muzzle flash with point light. Then add the child objects to the flashes array. Then when you fire a random muzzle flash will show. So you get varied flashes per shot with different lighting.

https://db.tt/dc8jdIpmjv

Camelot63RU likes this.
  14. AshyB

AshyB

@EduardasFunka Here's the gun animator script I was talking about;

Code (CSharp):
    1. using UnityEngine;
    3. namespace com.Ashyb.Weapons
    4. {
    5.     public class Ash_GunAnimator : MonoBehaviour
    6.     {
    7.         [Tooltip("The animator on the gun.")]
    8.         [SerializeField]
    9.         private Animator gunAnimator;
    11.         [Tooltip("The animator trigger to show the fire animation.")]
    12.         [SerializeField]
    13.         private string singleFire = "FireSingle";
    15.         private int _fireSingle;
    17.         private CoverShooter.BaseGun gun;
    19.         private void Awake()
    20.         {
    21.             gun = GetComponent<CoverShooter.BaseGun>();
    23.             _fireSingle = Animator.StringToHash(singleFire);
    24.         }
    26.         private void OnEnable()
    27.         {
    28.             gun.Fired += Fired;
    29.         }
    31.         private void OnDisable()
    32.         {
    33.             gun.Fired -= Fired;
    34.         }
    36.         private void Fired()
    37.         {
    38.             gunAnimator.SetTrigger(_fireSingle);
    39.         }
    40.     }
    41. }
    So when your character fires the weapon, the animator on the gun plays the fire animation. You can see the chamber opening to eject the shell in the vid below;

https://db.tt/wXDDFGQ4EH

Just need to add in the others as well (reload etc.).

Question for ya tho, would it be better to have the events as unity events because I notice a few people in this thread don't know how to use C# events, would it be better to have unity ones so people can drag and drop in their scripts? Just a thought.

Rahd and Camelot63RU like this.
  15. Aaron2348

Aaron2348

Hi any plans to add a menu system to this asset with save/load?

16. Rahd

Rahd

that would be me :p , really sorry as i'm using my own Socket API for multiplayer and my own events...
    so i just paste the code that matters sometimes from the back of my head , and assume that you guys would make it work for your own systems.
    yes events would help alot !
    thank you for the scripts keep them coming

Camelot63RU likes this.
  17. Anhella

Anhella

good day
    Rahd
    the camera script you give me can't get it to work. can you write me an example of the camera script.
    i'm trying to get the camera to pick up the character after i select the character
    i want to use to go in the game.
    how fix
    thanks in advance

18. Paul-Swanson

Paul-Swanson

Just found this on the Asset store:
    https://assetstore.unity.com/packages/3d/environments/shooting-gallery-enviroment-pack-105306
    Its a FREE gun range with very good quality things in it.
    Its got weapons modular stuff to build with, glass materials, ceramic tiles, wooden floors, control panels most of the basic utility stuff you would find scattered in a city like firearm panels and such. Its got Unfired Bullets [though oddly the only thing poorly modeled, makes sense though, if your firing them you can't exactly follow the bullet for more than a moment anyway], M4 model, pistol model, Shotgun, Sniper Rifle rifle.

If you need some good looking parts to flesh stuff out this might help you.
    It is considered High Poly though. The bevels are actually modeled not NMs so bewary of that.

uni7y and Rahd like this.
  19. uni7y

uni7y

20. satchell

satchell

Hey Everyone,

I'm having an issue finding a solution to damaging the player via flame thrower not attached to an enemy. I've tried working some with the Bullet and toxic grenade prefabs and scripts but no luck. When I use the Projectile script attached to a capsule set it doesn't recognize the target.

I was wandering if this topic has been covered or if anyone has a solution? I've rummaged through about 5 pages in this forum so far... Any direction would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance!

Last edited: Oct 27, 2018
  21. Aaron2348

Aaron2348

Is this asset supporting console controls?

22. Paul-Swanson

Paul-Swanson

23. Aaron2348

Aaron2348

Normally speaking yes...But Theres assets that have this support out of the box like Invector, so thought it was worth asking. @Paul-Swanson

24. Rahd

Rahd

short answer out of the box NO
    long one YES , the asset have inputs for the controller
    you can code it to wor for xbox , just change inputkeys to the xbox ones , like instead of mouse0
    you change it to A B , X .. whatever xbox have for keys .. those are unity defaults ..
    i just found out here about a plugin called control freak 2
    so what it does it will pick the Pc controls and make them into a gamepad = xbox360

upload_2018-10-28_1-48-9.png
    (photo is from control freak 2 change log Not cover)
    not sure about xbox one , it should be the same API .
    you can make anything work this asset or any other .
    best of luck , and test before you buy or whatever . cheers

Aaron2348 likes this.
  25. AshyB

AshyB

Not out of the box but if you go to the input manager under each input you can just put joystick button 1 or whatever into the alternate button fields and presto.

I set my Xbox one controller up in about five mins. The hardest part was googling a good image that shows you what each button is ;P

4bab0u4, Neviah and Aaron2348 like this.
  26. Aaron2348

Aaron2348

Thanks so much this is what i wanted to know.

27. satchell

satchell

Hey Guys,

Wanted to provide a solution for the flame thrower. After dissecting TPCS I decided Zones were the best solution. With Zones you could do poison gas, etc..
    Duplicate one of the Zones c# scripts name it something badass. Attach it to a GameObject similar to one of the zones in a sample scene. Give the GO a box collider. In the script reference the char health and the zones box collider. then in the OnTriggerEnter, call

Code (CSharp):
    2. void CoverShooter.CharacterHealth.Deal    (    float     amount    )  
    You can make the float public and set it to whatever 1-100.

I would like to request @EduardasFunka for a zone that deals the Buff damage?

Last edited: Oct 29, 2018
    Lay84, Blackghost and Paul-Swanson like this.
  28. adampound

adampound

Is there a way to add a button for rolling or vaulting for the top down mobile controls?

29. AshyB

AshyB

You can override the roll method (can't remember what it's called). I use only one button for rolls instead of the four double taps. So I press the button and then depending on which direction the character is moving it will roll that way.

30. Rahd

Rahd

Emerald AI integration to covershooter
    1- play with tags and layer for best results example : player should be tagged to player or add the enemy AI of cover shooter with the same tag or other like this ....
    2- find the Emerald_AI script and change the public void DamagePlayer() to this ...
    public void DamagePlayer(){

if ( CurrentTarget.gameObject == this.gameObject)
    return;

var shield = BulletShield.Get(CurrentTarget.gameObject);

if (shield != null)

return;

var part = CurrentTarget.GetComponent<BodyPartHealth>();
    var obj = (part == null || part.Target == null) ? CurrentTarget.gameObject : part.Target.gameObject;

var normal = (CurrentTarget.position - obj.transform.position).normalized;

HitType type;

var hit = new Hit(transform.position, normal, CurrentDamageAmount, this.gameObject, CurrentTarget.gameObject, HitType.Machete, DamageResponseWaitTime);
    CurrentTarget.SendMessage("OnHit", hit, SendMessageOptions.DontRequireReceiver);

}

done thats it ...
    covershooter is the most easy asset to work with in along time and i highly recommend Emerald AI for mobile if you gonna have some monsters or animals ... it's really simple like stupid simple and i really like it since it's fast for mobile .
    please fix the raycast floor detection it's eating up like 20-5 % of cpu on pc ...
    i tested it even with a new project :
    upload_2018-10-29_23-19-54.png
    changing the physics layer does help in some situations
    upload_2018-10-29_23-20-52.png
    please fix that ... thanks in advance
    the horse pro integration is only missing the riding i will post that too soon .
    i will post the covershooter script ASAP i just need to remove my script edits and make the shield block the attacks. or reduce damage.
    please if you can optimize the code do that

Neviah likes this.
  31. lolclol

lolclol

will there be any chance for first person perspective ?

32. AshyB

AshyB

I think that defeats the purpose of this asset. There's already some really good first person assets on the store. I don't even think it should include a top down or mobile controls because it just detracts from the purity of it.

That being said, you can always just place the camera at the position of the head and forward slightly and you would have a first person. You could always go a step further and add a transparent material to the head so you get no clipping at all.

33. Rahd

Rahd

that's your opinion man . nothing is pure . you are late for the party , but about 50% of us bought a separate pack for mobile , and i had to buy the third person pack too , to keep it supported and updated .
    but to suggest that mobile or any other features that don't go with your project should be gone... is kinda one sided opinion. CHEERS .

Last edited: Oct 31, 2018
  34. AshyB

AshyB

Apologies, I thought I bought a third person cover shooter, not a "Please make my game for me and include everything I could possibly want so I don't have to learn anything" package. When you try to do everything you just end up doing nothing well.

Im not saying dont include it at all, theres a reason why opsive and ootii sell "add ons" or subdivide their packs. It's so people don't have to spend days unwiring everything they don't need, just to have it break all over again with the next update. Especially when all you have to do is place the camera over head looking down for a top down shooter or add a UI with some events to make mobile controls. Id rather spend 2 hours making what i need than a whole day rewriting whats already there. But that is my opinion, as you said :)

35. Rahd

Rahd

Please make my game for me and include everything I could possibly want so I don't have to learn anything"
    funny just funny... that you don't like spending time unwiring everything ... cool ...but you would like to spend time making what you need ?
    then what are you doing here ? if you can do everything by yourself ....oh no you bought 3D Scifi Kit Vol 3 Unreal FPS uMMORPG Motion Controller Map Magic World Generator Dialogue System for Unity MaterialUI PlayWay Water Combu NatCam Third Person Controller - Third Person, AI, Multiplayer, Mobile Framework .. i can go on if you want to ... about 3-5 third Person Controller you bought or maybe tried (if you know what i mean )...
    this will be the last time i address you . cheers i have work to do .

Last edited: Oct 31, 2018
  36. lolclol

lolclol

Well, he included top down controller to this package so i thought i should ask him if he has plans for first person perspective option. I dont really like the whole separate assets. Its really a messy project so for this reason i prefer all in a pack, just to keep things more organized.

MorpheusXI likes this.
  37. EduardasFunka

EduardasFunka

We would like to add FPS camera but its low priority now.

38. Blackghost

Blackghost

Welcome back!!

39. Rahd

Rahd

frank climax animations check it out.
    so in this example the combos are driven by the movements X/Y of the joystick ..

Camelot63RU, lolclol and satchell like this.
  40. Paul-Swanson

Paul-Swanson

Duuuude......nice

Rahd likes this.
  41. Rahd

Rahd

thank you he has swords pack too will update the results later.
    @EduardasFunka
    emerald AI integration is done , let me know if you need the code . all AI attack each-other
    the code is simple and far from optimized . and has one uniform controller mobile and third all in one .
    it can use the horse pro animset too (aiming only no riding).

satchell, Camelot63RU and lolclol like this.
  42. lolclol

lolclol

noiceeeeeeee

Rahd likes this.
  43. satchell

satchell

Here's what I put together over about a week and a half. Level design and menu were the hardest part thanks to the asset store. There's still about 7 or 8 things I want to add. Should be simple with how easy this project has gone so far.

The TPCS is about 50% of what I needed to do this. It helped a lot! Thanks @EduardasFunka. It really kills the creativity when you have to fight to make things work together. Definitely making this one of the go to assets for multiple apps.

Last edited: Nov 1, 2018
  44. EduardasFunka

EduardasFunka

Good job. lots of nice things in your game. Share a link pls.

satchell likes this.
  45. satchell

satchell

Thank You! Sorry its a paid app maybe I'll add Admob someday and provide a free version. Or try some beta tester stuff...

Doomsday Comet 2 Google Play

Rahd likes this.
  46. Rahd

Rahd

i will be your first lol , bought the game and wish all the luck <3

satchell likes this.
  47. satchell

satchell

@Rahd Thank You! I was just testing on an old device and noticed my steam particles are black and missing an end stage collider on 5! I'll be in the labo_O

48. Rahd

Rahd

i tested most of the levels ,
    once you finish level 1 , all levels opens up (is that how it works ?) , on the last level the snow and fog effect is heavy on the phone
    other than that the game run smooth and works perfect no bugs .

satchell likes this.
  49. satchell

satchell

Awesome! For now yes the levels unlock after you play the first stage. Do to Apple requiring a web service like Unity's or Apple's to save for life. I plan to add about 3 or 4 more levels to fill the map, add the Apple game service, then fine tune the stage selection. Rather than confusing the builds at this time. And I need to fine tune the enemies so it gives the player a chance...

Thanks for the feedback I have removed the steam that should help.

rrabassa and Rahd like this.
  50. Paul-Swanson

Paul-Swanson

@EduardasFunka
    I sent you an email a little while back asking about a script variable. "BulletInventory" I'm not certain on how it works. I was trying to get it to display on my gui but was Unable to call it to a string like you did the current ammo count. Here's the snippet from it that I need help with:

In my HUD i was trying to customize the Ammo display a bit. I noticed on the GunAmmo script you had a section where i could insert the variables I wanted to display, that part's obvious. but I wanted to make this line:
    _text.text = gun.Name + " " + gun.LoadedBulletsLeft.ToString();

Look more like this:
    _text.text = gun.Name + " " + gun.LoadedBulletsLeft.ToString() + "/" + gun.MagazineSize.ToString() + " " + gun.BulletInventory.ToString();

However MagazineSize and BulletInventory are not visible.
    I tried adding BulletInventory to BaseGun.cs and it did show, however it never updated. Making me wonder if I did something wrong, or if there was no actual calculation method for reducing it. I do however see the method written for it in Gun.cs