Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

Third person cover controller

Discussion in 'Assets and Asset Store' started by EduardasFunka, May 23, 2017.

1. EduardasFunka

EduardasFunka

2. EduardasFunka

EduardasFunka

dates are not set in stone as we still have to do work for clients to survive :) buy more assets so we can dedicate full time to it :)
    1.3. AI patrolling and fixes end of Summer
    1.4 new animations sniper, climb, dual pistols, grenades, side dash October -November.
    1.5 multiplayer end of 2017.

RobsonFMaciel likes this.
  3. ApeAsylum

ApeAsylum

Hey man,

I purchased this last night for a little extra polish for a level design test I'm taking in the next couple of weeks. First of all I'd just like to say this kit is great. Managed to swap out the enemy AI with a robot character and then swapped out the player char with a space marine character easy as pie. The only thing that I was a little disappointed about the AI not having the patroling implemented yet. Other than that though I am very pleased with my purchase.

Keep up the good work! I look forward to seeing the updates.

4. EduardasFunka

EduardasFunka

Thanks! Those kind of posts makes you jump out of bed with smile and gives energy for the week.

5. Omninorm

Omninorm

Seems like a great package!

I'm interested in hearing more about the AI.
    I see you updated the AI to do a bunch of cover stuff. Thats awesome. What I'm interested in now is what happens between the "Action".
    Could one setup certain conditions for say the AI patrolling between 2 or 3 points?
    Could I set up the AI to return to a certain state after they spotted the Player and then lost him?

I'm asking because I started with my game, i was halfway done in creating my own sort of cover system (slides to cover like Gears of War etc) but there was many hurdles as I'm not the most salted of coders and I was about to ask for help with the cover system when you launched this :D
    For my AI - I was going to use something like Behavior Designer for he AI. When I use your pack it comes with AI. So obviously if I can use your AI it will be simpler to integrate etc but will I be able to customize the AI behavior?
    If not how would one integrate this with something like Behavior Designer?

Thanks for your time.

SirTwistedStorm likes this.
  6. EduardasFunka

EduardasFunka

Hi,
    We do not have patrol feature right now. It's work in progress. And I can't help you with behavior designer at the moment because I don't have it and don't know how it works. If you have some specific questions on integration we will assist you.

Thanks,
    Ed

7. Reiner

Reiner

Okay i love it :-D

the character change is very easy your tutorial´s fine!

i need multiplayer then i be very happy

8. Mcg

Mcg

Good looking asset interested in purchasing but just wondering does the main asset Third Person Cover Controller include everything that's in the Top-Down Cover Shooter mobile asset? The top-down asset just has less?

thanks

9. EduardasFunka

EduardasFunka

I am happy you like it. Multiplayer is planned in future

10. EduardasFunka

EduardasFunka

Third person has both top down and Third person assets. Top down has only top-down with less animation. I plan to rename third person to complete cover system and then add to store third person cover for less but afraid it may have a negative effect on sales. So will wait a bit. sorry for the confusion.

11. Mcg

Mcg

thanks purchased and looking forward to checking it out :)

12. Matt3D

Matt3D

This asset is a great starting point for the Stealth Action game I am working on. I've started modifying it to fit our needs, I've already added a sliding ability (its really fun to slide into cover!) and glad to hear climbing is coming.

Two bugs I'd like to communicate.

One of the bugs that I'm trying to fix myself, is that sometimes when the character approaches and enters low cover, they do not crouch down into cover right away (when most times they do). It seems that sometimes the character needs to adjust itself to move closer to the cover and while doing this, they stand up with their arms out and then crouch down into cover. Looks glitchy and not ideal as your exposed to fire.
    Here's a gif of the bug in action.
    https://media.giphy.com/media/xT39CYtSl4eLfJXeJa/giphy.gif

Secondly, standing on any of the sloped surfaces you slide down them. I intend to try and convert the system to use a Character Controller rather than a collider/rigidbody setup which I believe will fix that problem.

13. RD_Dev

RD_Dev

My customer bought this asset for me.
    Perfomance is awefull. Every update casts a lot of rays, sphere ovewrlaps.
    Every frame receives many components via getcomponent. No caching.
    THis asset is useless for mobile development or/and needs a deep refact.

Last edited: Aug 11, 2017
  14. EduardasFunka

EduardasFunka

Hi, thanks for a nice report. Will add to bug list to fix it first.
    How you implemented slide to cover with or without button press? we also want this feature in this asset but not sure how to do that without a button.

Thanks

15. EduardasFunka

EduardasFunka

Thanks for the report. We tested on Samsung s2 this is a 7-year-old phone and it was playable with some fps drops. Thought this is a good result for mobile development. but will invest some time to optimize more if people need more performance.

Malbers likes this.
  16. Matt3D

Matt3D

Yes I implemented a slide via button press, right now I have it bound to the "z" key, I'm just testing things out right now so it may not stay that way. I make it so that the character can only slide while running.

A cool thing is you still have control of the characters direction while you slide. So I can slide right around a corner.

Alternatively you could make the slide more context sensitive just like how space bar jumps/vaults/climbs depending on what you are doing. Set up a trigger collider and detect when the player is approaching it just like cover and slide when they press space bar

EduardasFunka likes this.
  17. Matt3D

Matt3D

So I figured out a fix for this that doesn't involve converting the character to a Character controller

You need to add a physics material to the sloped colliders, Set Static Friction to 0.5, and Friction combine to "Maximum"
    The character will no longer slide down while standing on them.

18. EduardasFunka

EduardasFunka

Thanks, Matt!
    I am super happy to get those updates from you.
    Charles wrote me a few days ago that he managed to set up Unity multiplayer in couple hours and it's all nice and working.
    Goodluck to you guys!

19. EduardasFunka

EduardasFunka

Some updates we working on.
    patch1.3.png

valakot and Malbers like this.
  20. Unplug

Unplug

I came to see how update was going on. Great that you posted that interesting screenshot. Can't wait for the update. I don't know if it's currently a normal behavior but

1- Patrol that are on the "Flee" state, still try to defend and fire. You should have the option to have the AI only flee and stop firing. Because right now the "can fire" option is a on off switch. It would be easy to have a IF that turn the "Can fire" off but the enemy still don't flee really far.

2- Patrol that are on flee state only flee to 1 cover. You can then move toward them even under the minimum distance and they will just stay cover and don'T move. That's pretty silly. The flee must be stronger than that.

I'm having fun with it. Despite that the code itself is quite complex, it is easy to read. Unlike many asset in the store that it'S really hard to customize, this one give you more hint about what each line does.

21. EduardasFunka

EduardasFunka

Head shoots coming soon!
    screen_shoot.png

Malbers likes this.
  22. Unplug

Unplug

NICE !!! wanted to implement that myself, was on the road map. But you are way better than me so bring it on !!!

BUG : When you are in "stealth" stance by holding the control key, you cannot switch weapon. It is unatural to have to stop moving to holster your weapon while being in stealth.

What anyone would suggest me that would be the best way to update an asset if you have modified the script that come with that asset. Is there anyway to sync the change you made ? Does VisualStudio offer that kind of option because I don't want to have to redo everything just because i update an asset when this update come out ?

23. TonyLi

TonyLi

You probably don't want to do a version control merge in this case because the original script's logic may have changed, invalidating your customizations.

Ideally, you'll ask the developer to add hooks such as C# events so you can write separate scripts that hook into the events rather than directly modifying the original scripts.

Barring this, you can mark your customizations with a unique comment such as "//[CUSTOM] line number". Then, before importing an update, save all of these customizations somewhere so you can reapply them afterward.

24. EduardasFunka

EduardasFunka

thanks for a bug report will fix it in a new patch.

EDIT: its editor problem when you build your game (exe) it works.

Last edited: Aug 29, 2017
  25. Unplug

Unplug

anyone to get it work in editor !?!? any workaround ???

26. EduardasFunka

EduardasFunka

we will make that you can switch weapons with mouse wheel in future.

27. EduardasFunka

EduardasFunka

28. a548922

a548922

Fantastic Asset!! Has made my life beyond easy!

Suggestion for AI enhancements: Currently, when I find cover behind a large wall, the AI follows me as I walk behind it no matter how long. This prevents me from being able to flank them. They can see through walls it would appear. Is this something that your guys could address in the upcoming patch?

Thanks!! Look forward to the future updates!

29. EduardasFunka

EduardasFunka

we were talking about that yesterday. This week we implemented that AI alerted when you drop a grenade and approaches a place where they heard a sound. we will implement later that they approach the last place they saw you not where you are. but this will come in patch 1.4

Mayureshete likes this.
  30. a548922

a548922

Fantastic! I look forward to that! That will make things even better!

31. Unplug

Unplug

can you also make it so that if you die "mid air" (jumping or falling) that you actually have a fall state so that you just don't hang up in there. I was also wondering if upon death or certain event such as a big enough explosion (let say an event that trigger X% of health loss or more) that your character become a rag doll for a couple of second. It would be nice that an explosion would actually push the player to the ground instead of just hurting and having a blood splat. I have "Just Cause 3" behavior in mind.

I can't wait to see the update man. Sound alerted AI was something on the road we had too. Can't wait to see how you implement that. This is really a very fun and well done asset. It's very easy to work with and also to match it with other asset.

32. EduardasFunka

EduardasFunka

Hi guys. Some updates

A grenade feature was like a hydra. You cut one head 2 more comes up. First, we made grenade then it was stupid that AI doesn't know how to throw grenades. Then we made AI grenade feature. then there is no chance to escape grenade fast once AI throws at you so we made new feature dive all sides from grenades
    now we have some bugs to fix and its ready for a store.
    btw with grenades gameplay is a lot faster and more fun!

https://static.wixstatic.com/media/9b48dd_c1b96e96ab664195981d7b8f2c591aec~mv2.gif
    https://static.wixstatic.com/media/9b48dd_911c7c1ceb0d4e17b39078c8f903741f~mv2.gif

frbrz and Mayureshete like this.
  33. EduardasFunka

EduardasFunka

Rag doll will come later probably before Christmas.

34. a548922

a548922

Feature request: Blind fire from cover please :)

35. twiggyash

twiggyash

Hi, great work!!! Your asset seems amazing and I think I'll buy it very soon! :) Anyway I have a question: are you going to add 'Cover to Cover Transition' like in The Division, where it's shown with UI where is possible to go while moving around the camera? It would be amazing!

36. EduardasFunka

EduardasFunka

Will come in future 100%

37. EduardasFunka

EduardasFunka

Maybe not like in division where it jumps over one cover to get to your next cover but it goes around will investigate more on this one

38. a548922

a548922

Fantastic!

39. EduardasFunka

EduardasFunka

a548922 likes this.
  40. 3meish

3meish

Great work guys! im supporting this asset 100%

a548922 and EduardasFunka like this.
  41. a548922

a548922

Agreed guys! Thank you for supporting the asset!

Last edited: Sep 23, 2017
    frbrz and EduardasFunka like this.
  42. EduardasFunka

EduardasFunka

Thank you guys for trusting us

a548922 likes this.
  43. a548922

a548922

AI Help:

How do I make it so that I have an AI that can attack right away after spawning without the player needing to trigger the AI.

44. EduardasFunka

EduardasFunka

HI if you don't want to code you can try 360 field of view and 10000 sight distance but it will not work with walls.

45. CoderPro

CoderPro

Could you make shooting animation while cover ? (blind shoot cover)

46. EduardasFunka

EduardasFunka

It’s in our to do list!

47. Unplug

Unplug

Can you share which file i've been modified between 1.2 and 1.3 so I can make sure i only update what i need to. I have modified a lot of file from your asset and I don't want to crush anything out.

48. EduardasFunka

EduardasFunka

We changed many things please backup when it’s live. I will try to write some summary for those who working on 1.2. Right now I am on my phone (difficult to type)

49. Unplug

Unplug

a simple list of what file was modified and which was not would help us a lot

50. Unplug

Unplug

if you plan to add the ability to open and close door, I suggest you have a look at this asset. It's fresh and get a lot of support from. https://www.assetstore.unity3d.com/en/#!/content/90948 and it would be nice for the two to be compatible eventually. I would really like to see an animation for regular door opening (reach out the knob), animation for keypad, animation for keycard, kicking the door, stealth opening the door. the more and more i progress in my progress the more i want to do and accomplish and I'm so glad that people like you give us the ability to achieve that without having a big team and with limited knowledge too :) it make it much easier to learn